03-27-16 09:38 AM
36 12
tools
    More than a Billion of Android devices are at risk of a severe vulnerability in Qualcomm Snapdragon chip that could be exploited by any malicious application to gain root access on the device.

More than a Billion Snapdragon-based Android Phones Vulnerable to Hacking

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    03-17-16 09:14 AM
    Because of profit!
    And because it's easier to kick away if not longer needed.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 09:23 AM
    Phone buyers want apps.
    03-17-16 09:26 AM
    Money, money and more money
    03-17-16 09:27 AM
    Seriously!?????????????????

1. BlackBerry maketh no profit.

2. Nobody buyth BlackBerry.

3. BlackBerry ridiculedth by everyone.

4. In order to keep a company profitable, it needs to make profit. BlackBerry wasn't making a profit. So John Chen, before he brushed his teeth as he does every night before 9pm, thought to himself... Just how can I turn this boat around???

A couple of minutes later, his friend texted him a picture of an android meme. John Chen was giggling, nay, guffawing when the idea occurred to him. A BlackBerry device running Android.

Voila! BlackBerry running Android OS was born.

If you think I said it, I didn't say it.
    03-17-16 09:36 AM
    More apps than BB offered.
    03-17-16 09:37 AM
    Apps. It's 2016 our phones run other devices now, that's why.... My pretty simple answer...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-17-16 10:35 AM
    It's actually brutally simple.

It's a last ditch effort to stay in the hardware game.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 10:41 AM
    I think it's unlikely that the Priv is affected by this provided you've kept up to date. That's the advantage of Priv and Nexus over other choices.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-17-16 10:51 AM
    It was a decision to either make an Android model, or if not, then no more phones at all from BlackBerry. BB10 were not (and still are not) profitable, that's why they changed to Android.
    bakron1 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-17-16 10:53 AM
    Listen, anything that becomes popular with the consumer will be become vulnerable to exploits. Absolutely anything. Because in order to have that rich functionality, all sorts of APIs need to be opened up and exposed to third parties, and more and more functionality is enabled which can be used for bad as well as good purposes.

Look at desktop Linux. Its (commercial) apps and games ecosystem is moribund, but at least it's secure.

Kind of reminds me of sexually transmitted disease. The more popular an activity becomes, the more likely it is to start spreading diseases and viruses. Android is like one big STD.
    03-17-16 11:00 AM
    Another one of those click bait articles about the vulnerabilities of android. :-)

These articles always have the same pattern:

State the danger: "a billion android users might be vulnerable or at risk" "a fatal flaw has been discovered that enable malware to gain root access to your phone"

So how does the malware gain root access to your android phone?

Step 1: The user will have to download the malicious app from a 3rd party app store
    Step 2: The user will have to first root their own phone. (aka if you download the app and your phone is not rooted - the app is not going to root your phone. It will just take up space in your phone's memory)
    Step 3: The user will have to change their phone setting to allow an app to be installed that was downloaded from a 3rd party apps store (android actually prompt the user if they want to change the setting or not)
    Step 4: The user have to then give the app permission before it can run - which is again another prompt.

With all of these steps it is very hard to have your phone exploited by a malicious app. Rooting alone (even though not difficult to do) is a time consuming activity. It can take more than an hour especially if the person does not know what they are doing. Which why this articles always have the word "might or at risk" in their headlines. Since they know that only small percentage of android users actually root their phones. At most the android users that most likely get their phone hacked are the enthusiast - the ones that know most about these malwares.

These android malware panic articles are similar to a hack doctor proclaiming that the world's human population is at risk of damaging their eyes if they stare at the sun for long periods of time.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 03-18-16 at 09:41 AM.
    03-17-16 12:03 PM
    Wrong post, sorry!
    03-17-16 01:05 PM
    More than a Billion of Android devices are at risk of a severe vulnerability in Qualcomm Snapdragon chip that could be exploited by any malicious application to gain root access on the device.

More than a Billion Snapdragon-based Android Phones Vulnerable to Hacking

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    "More than a billion" Android devices versus "can count on one hand even after you forgot to throw the grenade" BB10 devices...
    LazyEvul, anon(2313227) and TgeekB like this.
    03-17-16 02:33 PM
    Thanks everyone for the ELI5, I know why Blackberry turned to Android. /s

This quote has stuck with me since the 2000's.
    "Ten years out, in terms of actual hardware costs you can almost think of hardware as being free–I'm not saying it will be absolutely free–but in terms of the power of the servers, the power of the network will not be a limiting factor." - Bill Gates 2004

So here we are a decade later and he's pretty much correct.

IMHO Blackberry should just rip the band-aid off and focus on IoT software security since they've been trying to tell it's loyal following that's the future. I'd rather see Blackberry as brand survive in the trying to secure an OS than fade away trying to be a "me too" corporation selling hardware phones. But I see Blackberry just being absorbed into Alphabet in 2-3 years.
    03-17-16 03:01 PM
    Thanks everyone for the ELI5, I know why Blackberry turned to Android. /s

This quote has stuck with me since the 2000's.
    "Ten years out, in terms of actual hardware costs you can almost think of hardware as being free–I'm not saying it will be absolutely free–but in terms of the power of the servers, the power of the network will not be a limiting factor." - Bill Gates 2004

So here we are a decade later and he's pretty much correct.

IMHO Blackberry should just rip the band-aid off and focus on IoT software security since they've been trying to tell it's loyal following that's the future. I'd rather see Blackberry as brand survive in the trying to secure an OS than fade away trying to be a "me too" corporation selling hardware phones. But I see Blackberry just being absorbed into Alphabet in 2-3 years.
    They don't actually have an IoT product that people will buy yet, other than Neutrino itself, which people won't pay very much for.

So they need hardware sales for a little while longer at least to keep the bottom from falling out. Hence the vacuous tweets about how much they "love BB10".
    dejanh, Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    03-17-16 03:12 PM
    I think the hope is that by going to Android people would actually buy Blackberry phones? Seems like a logical assumption.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-17-16 05:03 PM
    Android is like one big STD.
    Serially Transmitted Disease
    idhbar and David Tyler like this.
    03-17-16 05:24 PM
    Watsa and Chen played the Louks card to placate the stockholders aboot a turn around.

Hey we atleast tried with android for two years. ... versus.. .. all the presstitutes reporting BlackBerry hardware is dead and stockholders getting their panteez in a bunch.

Did someone say security... everybody who cares about real security already knows BB10 is the best even with all the possible false positive of owning a mobile device/s .

Two years on a press release talking about stabilising software and continous updates to regulated industries using android BlackBerry and original BlackBerry and closure of hardware division is bound to happen.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    03-18-16 11:59 AM
    Watsa and Chen played the Louks card to placate the stockholders aboot a turn around.

Hey we atleast tried with android for two years. ... versus.. .. all the presstitutes reporting BlackBerry hardware is dead and stockholders getting their panteez in a bunch.

Did someone say security... everybody who cares about real security already knows BB10 is the best even with all the possible false positive of owning a mobile device/s .

Two years on a press release talking about stabilising software and continous updates to regulated industries using android BlackBerry and original BlackBerry and closure of hardware division is bound to happen.

Posted via CB10
    Let me translate your confused post:

BlackBerry tried android rather than keep putting out BB10 phones to get back to profitability.
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    03-18-16 12:09 PM
    Nah, if you need to be told on this subject, you can't be told.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    03-18-16 12:45 PM
    Another one of those click bait articles about the vulnerabilities of android. :-)

These articles always have the same pattern:

State the danger: "a billion android users might be vulnerable or at risk" "a fatal flaw has been discovered that enable malware to gain root access to your phone"

So how does the malware gain root access to your android phone?

Step 1: The user will have to download the malicious app from a 3rd party app store
    Step 2: The user will have to first root their own phone. (aka if you download the app and your phone is not rooted - the app is not going to root your phone. It will just take up space in your phone's memory)
    Step 3: The user will have to change their phone setting to allow an app to be installed that was downloaded from a 3rd party apps store (android actually prompt the user if they want to change the setting or not)
    Step 4: The user have to then give the app permission before it can run - which is again another prompt.

With all of these steps it is very hard to have your phone exploited by a malicious app. Rooting alone (even though not difficult to do) is a time consuming activity. It can take more than an hour especially if the person does not know what they are doing. Which why this articles always have the word "might or at risk" in their headlines. Since they know that only small percentage of android users actually root their phones. At most the android users that most likely get their phone hacked are the enthusiast - the ones that know most about these malwares.

These android malware panic articles are similar to a hack doctor proclaiming that the world's human population is at risk of damaging their eyes if they stare at the sun for long periods of time.
    But...but...BlackBerry is supposed to be secure and Android is malware infested, why do you have to come along with your common sense, we prefer to live in irrational fear...
    TgeekB, Wezard, Ronindan and 3 others like this.
    03-18-16 01:30 PM
    BlackBerry switching to Android was simply about 2 things:

1. Apps
    2. Make some money

The end.
    03-18-16 02:41 PM
    My sad BB10 exit will be the iPhone SE, launching around the time Facebook/Messenger support expires. Security wise Android is Swiss cheese on the software side, now also on the hardware side. sigh
    03-18-16 08:25 PM
    I think the hope is that by going to Android people would actually buy Blackberry phones? Seems like a logical assumption.
    Obviously people are not buying the Priv enough to count, or else Chen would not be twitting about how much he loves BB10.

I agree. It made no sense to go android. If bb10 phones did not sell enough, he should have abandoned hardware without looking like a cheat, switching to his competitor's product. What self-respecting company does that?

There are many other android vendors. People who want android have many options. No need for BlackBerry.

And people who want apps over security, privacy and efficiency, can live without a PKB, as 99% of those with smartphones have proven so far.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JulesDB like this.
    03-19-16 08:32 AM
36 12