So Samsung is releasing the GS3 on 5 US carriers June 21 using the S4 chip that is one of the possible contenders for RIM's BB10 phone, and not the quad that the rest of the world gets, or their own delayed Exynos 5 series that will be A15 based. Does this mean that RIM is not going to use the Qualcomm S4 chip, and/or does it mean that Samsung got rights to first runs and excess won't be available for RIM until October, and/or does it mean that RIM wasn't waiting on the chip at all and the OS won't be ready until October and then we will get an S4 based BB10 device?

Funny that not even Samsung would wait for its Exynos 5 series to put in the GS3, but Apple and possibly RIM are going to wait for whatever A15 chip they are using. Guess this is why Samsung is now leading the pack. The pre-orders for that device I think show that it is going to dwarf any iPhone numbers.

RIM better not release the BB10 phone with the OMAP 4470 that is available right now as it will mean yet another lie that out of the mouths from the gone dynamic duo. If these phones don't come out till October, and don't have an A15 based chip that is supposed to have huge power savings while having greater performance over A9 based chips, then it will be a major letdown as it would imply business as usual in Waterloo, at least IMHO, and you know that if they don't have the bleeding edge chip like what Mike L said the press is going to hammer the release for that.
    06-05-12 09:12 AM
    you knew it was a lie when they said the delay was the chip in the first place. the alpha device further proves that i think. BB10 is not near release ready at this stage.

Now that doesnt mean its a bad thing because i really hope they do make sure the OS is done and not like their other more recent software releases (PB OS 1, BB7) Both those should have been held off longer to get better software builds ready. This will be one way to see how much they have changed
    06-05-12 09:23 AM
    i posted somewhere else asking how long it takes to write/code a new OS. os 10 has a base template to start from and that is os 5/6/7. i am not saying its based on the old OS but most of the sub-menus and basic functions are the same so its not from scratch, the new code has something to duplicate and that should cut down on development time. other than that i have no idea why it would take so long for a multi billion dollar company to have their software designers/coders complete and test a darned OS.
    06-05-12 09:27 AM
    They're making us wait...it will be a top spec device
    06-05-12 10:07 AM
    I don't think they'll release it with the old processor. I'm sure Heins knows that if they do, bb10 will be DOA.

The real reason it's taking till October probably has little to do with the processor - they just aren't anywhere near ready yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-05-12 10:23 AM
    Where did they say it will be October. All I have seen is later in the year. My guess is August 23rd for Rogers and maybe Bell and then sometime in September for the USA carriers. Just like it has been for most of the other flagship phones.
    06-05-12 10:55 AM
    i posted somewhere else asking how long it takes to write/code a new OS. os 10 has a base template to start from and that is os 5/6/7. i am not saying its based on the old OS but most of the sub-menus and basic functions are the same so its not from scratch, the new code has something to duplicate and that should cut down on development time. other than that i have no idea why it would take so long for a multi billion dollar company to have their software designers/coders complete and test a darned OS.
    OS 5/6/7 did absolutely nothing to speed up BB10 development. Even if they menus look similar, they almost certainly share no code (in fact, having to make the menus look similar might have involved extra effort, because they could not use menu code which possibly might have existed for QNX).

Software development of any kind is hard. Developing an OS is much much harder. Developing an OS which wants to encourage 3rd party development is exceedingly hard. Developing an OS which provides so many APIs and different development vectors must be impossibly hard. And developing an OS which targets a memory/hard disk/battery constrained device like a phone is....well, you get the point. BB10 is an extremely difficult endeavor.
    06-05-12 11:39 AM
    Could be TI's OMAP5 vs the Snapdragon
    LAZYMAN 91 likes this.
    06-05-12 11:44 AM
    Where did they say it will be October. All I have seen is later in the year. My guess is August 23rd for Rogers and maybe Bell and then sometime in September for the USA carriers. Just like it has been for most of the other flagship phones.

Well they said late 2012. I think they'd be saying summer 2012 if it was earlier in order to placate the angry investors.

It's unrealistic to expect anything before Q4. So October at the earliest, maybe (hopefully not) later.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-05-12 11:50 AM
    While they said they are waiting for the cpu, I also believe the OS is not ready. Simply looking at the Playbook you can see several faults from the load times of the browser, and checkerboarding. The start up time of the pb, is too lenghty imho.
    06-05-12 02:34 PM
    you knew it was a lie when they said the delay was the chip in the first place. the alpha device further proves that i think. BB10 is not near release ready at this stage.

Now that doesnt mean its a bad thing because i really hope they do make sure the OS is done and not like their other more recent software releases (PB OS 1, BB7) Both those should have been held off longer to get better software builds ready. This will be one way to see how much they have changed
    They didn't lie when they said the delay was the chip. It's one of the reasons why it's delayed.

They decided to go with OMAP5 and even TI said devices expected to have those chips would come out Q4 2012 or early 2013.

So RIM didn't really lie.

I'm glad they went with the OMAP5 instead of Snapdragon. Plus, that extra time is a HUGE benefit for them. That's about a years worth of polishing and making BB10 even better.
    kbz1960 and Rello like this.
    06-05-12 02:36 PM
    They decided to go with OMAP5 and even TI said devices expected to have those chips would come out Q4 2012 or early 2013.

So RIM didn't really lie.

I'm glad they went with the OMAP5 instead of Snapdragon. Plus, that extra time is a HUGE benefit for them. That's about a years worth of polishing and making BB10 even better.
    Personally I hope they do go with the OMAP 5 as it appears to be the best chip that will be coming out soon, but I have seen zero confirmation that RIM is definitely planning to use the OMAP 5430 in the new device. If you have information that confirms the OMAP5, I'd love to see it.
    06-05-12 02:51 PM
    I want bb10!
    06-05-12 02:52 PM
    BGR released an article saying how RIM lied about these chips, primarily saying that the reason BB10 wasn't out was because it wasn't near ready, not because the chips weren't out.

He called their bluff. RIM didn't say too much about it after that. Needless to say, he didn't get a developer Alpha device.
    06-05-12 02:58 PM
    Needless to say, he didn't get a developer Alpha device.
    I don't think he is a developer or attended the conference, so why should he have been given a device that isn't meant for consumers hands? Making a short run device like this is much more expensive than mass production device. If he had signed up for BBW and put an a$$ in a seat he would have gotten one.
    06-05-12 03:51 PM
    did anyone see any internal hardware info on the dev alpha device? I searched around and havent seen anything.
    06-05-12 03:53 PM
    Of course RIM lied. It was never about the chips, it was all about how far behind they were with the software. If it was an issue with the chips, the developers device would've been handed out a lot earlier than it was - to give developers as much time as possible to work on their apps.

I'm doubting that they'll have BB10 ready by the of the year - at least not fully baked.
    06-05-12 06:18 PM
    Yes they lied.
    Availability
    TI’s OMAP 5 platform is expected to sample in the second half of 2011, with devices on the market in the second half of 2012. The OMAP5430 processor is offered in a 14x14mm Package-on-Package (PoP) with LPDDR2 memory support. The OMAP5432 processor is offered in a 17x17mm BGA package with DDR3/DDR3L memory support.

These products are intended for high-volume mobile OEMs and ODMs and are not available through distributors. TI also plans to develop compatible ARM Cortex-A15 processor-based solutions for broader market applications across TI’s product portfolio.
    Texas Instruments Announces High-Powered OMAP 5; We’re Still Waiting for 4

Here is another.

RIM Statement, 12.22.11:

RIM made a strategic decision to launch BlackBerry 10 devices with a new, LTE-based dual core chip set architecture. As explained on our earnings call, the broad engineering impact of this decision and certain other factors significantly influenced the anticipated timing for the BlackBerry 10 devices. The anonymous claim suggesting otherwise is inaccurate and uninformed. As RIM has previously explained, and as Mike Lazaridis reiterated on the earnings call, we will not launch BlackBerry 10 devices until we know they are ready and we believe this new chip set architecture is required to deliver the world class user experience that our customers will expect. Any suggestion to the contrary is simply false. We appreciate the interest in our future platform and we will continue to work hard to deliver that platform as soon as possible. At the same time, we also remain very excited with the success of our recently launched BlackBerry 7 smartphones and we believe these products offer a very compelling choice for both new customers and the almost 75 million BlackBerry users around the world.
    RIM responds to insider allegations that BB10 is "no where near ready"

So where is the lie?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-05-12 at 07:12 PM. Reason: add
    Rello and AntL85 like this.
    06-05-12 06:52 PM
    TI’s OMAP 5 platform is expected to sample in the second half of 2011, with devices on the market in the second half of 2012. The OMAP5430 processor is offered in a 14x14mm Package-on-Package (PoP) with LPDDR2 memory support. The OMAP5432 processor is offered in a 17x17mm BGA package with DDR3/DDR3L memory support.
    Yepp doesn't sound like lying to me.

Personally I hope they do go with the OMAP 5 as it appears to be the best chip that will be coming out soon, but I have seen zero confirmation that RIM is definitely planning to use the OMAP 5430 in the new device. If you have information that confirms the OMAP5, I'd love to see it.
    What else could it be really? S4 was planned if they launched Q1 2012. Plus the Playbook is a OMAP 4. It's likely they'll stick with the same type of chip.

Also in this interview. When he talks about the OMAP 5. He names Google/Android and RIM/QNX.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/01/h...-at-mwc-video/

Pay attention to 4:15 to 4:30. Don't think he'd be naming them if they weren't going to be using it.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 06-05-12 at 07:58 PM.
    06-05-12 07:51 PM
    I don't see how anyone can say they were lying when first off, the devices aren't even out lol, and secondly TI has stated stated that devices wouldn't be out until the end of the year which is when most rumors have stated the first BB10 would come out. If they indeed are waiting for the OMAP5, I know I will be happy. The stuff TI showed off in a demo of the chip was buttery smooth...and it was only running at 800mhz
    kbz1960 and mithrazor like this.
    06-05-12 10:35 PM
    I don't think he is a developer or attended the conference, so why should he have been given a device that isn't meant for consumers hands? Making a short run device like this is much more expensive than mass production device. If he had signed up for BBW and put an a$$ in a seat he would have gotten one.
    I don't know..Just remember how mad he was when he didn't get one.
    06-06-12 06:51 AM
    I don't know..Just remember how mad he was when he didn't get one.

Yeah that was a hilarious twitter-tantrum. Really showed off the true Gellar as a little brat who thinks he is entitled to everything no matter how bad he treats a company.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    brucep1 likes this.
    06-06-12 07:18 AM
    BGR is nothing more then free publicity for the crap coming out of One Infinite Loop.

Every Apple product they review gets praise from on high but any other product they review just happens to fall short.

And Blackberry, I do not know what it is he has against Blackberry. Maybe a Blackberry cheated on his mother, or maybe a Blackberry did this, or that, but he has hatred for Blackberry. Nothing positive ever comes out of his mouth about Blackberry.

I think BGR can be compared to Fox News for its "fair and balanced" reporting.

Moving on, I do hope Research in Motion can bring BB10 devices to the market, on time, on all carriers (no exclusives). I understand that they are cash strapped but I do not even want to think of a world without my Blackberry or Playbook.

If Blackberry did go poof my only choice would be Windows phone 7, as Android is really fragmented, and its Play market is bloated with mostly with games (which i dont play on phones), apps that are usless or do not function properly. Everyone has an iPhone, I was never a fan of Jobs or his need to control everything, and HP has officially abandoned WebOS without officially saying so, so.

Blackberry for life.
    06-06-12 07:29 AM
    Remember that before Thorsten, the goal posts always moved and they always over-promised and under-delivered. I think that's what happened. I think they knew it wouldn't be ready in time, regardless of hardware. So I think they tried shifting blame on the hardware, even though waiting for that hardware makes sense to attain their goals (and give them adequate time to finish BB10).

I think with Thorsten at the helm, they've become better organized and efficient and their processes and won't be deceptive anymore. I really think he's the right man for the job, and I can't wait to see how BB10 turns out.
    06-06-12 10:19 AM
    I think with Thorsten at the helm, they've become better organized and efficient and their processes and won't be deceptive anymore. I really think he's the right man for the job, and I can't wait to see how BB10 turns out.
    I agree..The old Co-CEO's would have already given a release date and missed it for BB10.

Thor is at least honest, saying in less words, we really don't know, but we know it'll be in the latter half of 2012, giving him a nice 6 month cushion. While it really doesn't make a difference, either way it's not here yet, I'd prefer honesty.
    06-06-12 10:23 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD