While they've said that they aren't leaving the consumer market, they certainly haven't shown much to support that claim. They haven't shown anything that would interest the consumer market apart from a camera app and a virtual keyboard. I've been sticking with RIM because of BBM and their keyboards but I honestly thought they would have put more effort into exciting the consumer market.

They didn't mention Skype, Netflix, Instagram, Kindle, or pretty much anything. They didn't even announce a Twitter app for QNX/BB10! They showed off some Gameloft games but those don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. If the big developers aren't making apps for your devices, you need to make them develop by any means necessary.

Are they honestly going to release BB10 devices into the consumer market without even putting in an effort? I think a large amount of RIM's current subscriber base are consumers, so why aren't they even trying? If they aren't going to try why would someone want to stay with them when the competitors are doing so much more for them? All of my Blackberry-owning friends aren't even excited about it, and I expect my BBM contact list to drop to 0 by the end of the year. RIM is giving me no reason to stay.

Come on RIM, I know you can do better than this. :/
    05-03-12 03:35 PM
    Be patient young one.
    Remember this even was for the Developers not the consumers. Im glad we got a little preview. This is just the beginning. Our turns coming and Im sure they are really gonna show off a lot of cool stuff.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 03:38 PM
    we ain't seen nothing yet, but what I've seen looks fab.
    05-03-12 03:40 PM
    Um they are starting by getting developers on their side. They are showing a better on screen touch keyboard and camera apps. These are things people have knocked them for before and they are working to make an all around better smartphone.

Just cause they haven't announced apps for twitter, skype and netflix, doesn't mean they aren't chasing after them. What they are doing right now is putting the foundation together. They are creating the atmosphere to draw in developers to create things that people have said they wanted. If there is a mass adoption of the platform(which will be ready and waiting) those apps will come.
    05-03-12 03:45 PM
    While they've said that they aren't leaving the consumer market, they certainly haven't shown much to support that claim. They haven't shown anything that would interest the consumer market apart from a camera app and a virtual keyboard. I've been sticking with RIM because of BBM and their keyboards but I honestly thought they would have put more effort into exciting the consumer market.

So the only two things that they have shown (camera and keyboard ) are both things that you say would appeal to the consumer? Not sure I see your point here. What have they shown you that doesn't appeal to the consumer?

I agree with you about apps & development however there is still 6 more months to go & you never know what will happen.

So far from what I've seen it's a great OS, if the alpha device is anything to go by it'll be great hardware. Now they have to fix development & get some big names on board.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 03:45 PM
    Your point might be dead on the bullseye, however, right now is just too early to say. We will just have to wait until BB10 drops. And hopefully RIM drops it like its hot!!! Haha
    05-03-12 03:49 PM

They didn't mention Skype, Netflix, Instagram, Kindle, or pretty much anything. They didn't even announce a Twitter app for QNX/BB10! They showed off some Gameloft games but those don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. If the big developers aren't making apps for your devices, you need to make them develop by any means necessary.

Are they honestly going to release BB10 devices into the consumer market without even putting in an effort? I think a large amount of RIM's current subscriber base are consumers, so why aren't they even trying? If they aren't going to try why would someone want to stay with them when the competitors are doing so much more for them? All of my Blackberry-owning friends aren't even excited about it, and I expect my BBM contact list to drop to 0 by the end of the year. RIM is giving me no reason to stay.

Come on RIM, I know you can do better than this. :/
    You are kind of all over the map. Read the articles on crackberry. Specifically, where Thor speaks to the media.

The purpose of the event was NOT to start letting consumers know what was coming, it was for devs to get a taste of what is coming. You know, get the devs on board BEFORE BB10 drops.

Try what? What are you talking about? Releasing BB10 without trying? What does that even mean?
    05-03-12 03:49 PM
    i think that the camera app shows that they will be focusing on average people... as well as gameloft saying they will have 11 games on launch.

I understand it may not be the cool consumer good to have... but if companies area already on board then that is the exact same position that apple was in when they released iOS, but BB10 has something that iOS never did... 70+ million 'legacy' users.

So rather then BB10 being a 'new' OS like iOS was this is a REVAMPED relaunch of the BB name and developers who held off developing for the last gen BB devices did so bc they knew that it was EoL for those devices. Now, developers know that RIM is throwing everything they have into BB10 and with a possible 70 million upgrades in the future im pretty sure developers will make any apps they want. Remember that RIM said THEY would not make apps for consumers... not that they would not allow any such apps to be made by others.

If RIM focuses on making a great OS and some productive apps then the devs will focus on everything else. RIM is supplying the platform, but the uses are endless.
    05-03-12 03:50 PM
    Try what? What are you talking about? Releasing BB10 without trying? What does that even mean?
    Try to put an effort into the consumer market. Everything they're shown has a focus on enterprise. When I mean "releasing BB10 without trying" I mean releasing it to consumers even though it's focused on enterprise. Thus, they wouldn't putting an effort into the consumer market and would release a phone that wouldn't be desirable compared to an actual consumer-focused phone (iPhone, Android, etc).

So the only two things that they have shown (camera and keyboard ) are both things that you say would appeal to the consumer? Not sure I see your point here. What have they shown you that doesn't appeal to the consumer?

I agree with you about apps & development however there is still 6 more months to go & you never know what will happen.

So far from what I've seen it's a great OS, if the alpha device is anything to go by it'll be great hardware. Now they have to fix development & get some big names on board.

Having two aspects of a phone that apply to a consumer doesn't make a phone desirable to consumers. That'd be like saying that because the Nintendo Wii has a few first person shooters means it's desirable to fans of first person shooters. That's not how it works.

It's about being comparable to the competition. If I go back to my example, the Xbox 360 and PS3 have loads of shooters, thus a fan of shooters would desire an Xbox 360/PS3 over a Nintendo Wii. In RIM's case, if the competition has a heavily consumer focused phone, it'll be way more appealing than a phone that has a few consumer-friendly features but remains focused on enterprise.
    05-03-12 04:12 PM
    Try to put an effort into the consumer market. Everything they're shown has a focus on enterprise.
    Obviously you missed it the first five times, so it'll get stated again. This was not a consumer-focused event. This was for developers.
    bbmtna likes this.
    05-03-12 04:19 PM
    As someone who has been at this event, the Keynote was there to excite us about what BlackBerry is going to be like,

The rest of the event has been VERY much helping us see RIM's goal, talking about the great tools and practices, the DevAlpha is a pretty device, the UI elements they have let us see right away were great, a few side loaded apps BLOW AWAY the PlayBooks performance
    And there is a lot of Energy for making apps,

This event was to get channel partners to see RIM products and showcase RIM products, and to get Developers excited about making apps, the over all feel from other attendees was just that. Excitement, I spoke to a few Android Devs who are giving RIM a chance, and a couple iOS devs who are very glad to see making their cross platform apps is going to get a lot better.
    05-03-12 04:20 PM
    Obviously you missed it the first five times, so it'll get stated again. This was not a consumer-focused event. This was for developers.
    It matters even if the event was for developers. RIM is often seen as being an enterprise focused company that's losing market share and has a bad app ecosystem. They needed to show developers that there is a viable market for apps on BB10/QNX and show them that they have a future in this app-centric phone market. My brother is a really popular developer on a certain platform (don't want to drag him into this) and he doesn't develop for BB because there's not a big enough audience. With RIM becoming more enterprise focused it's going to give him more reasons not to develop his apps (which are consumer focused) on App World.

RIM didn't need to reveal everything (because as you said, it was a developer conference) but at a minimum they needed to show that they were committed to the consumer market. Especially after all of those "RIM is leaving the consumer market" articles that happened just a while ago. They didn't do that.
    05-03-12 04:42 PM

Isn't devcon the developer show? When did blackberry world become for developers also?

05-03-12 04:54 PM
    So tell us how you show that you're committed to the consumer market without actually revealing anything. Apparently a press conference is not enough.
    05-03-12 04:55 PM
    RIM didn't need to reveal everything (because as you said, it was a developer conference) but at a minimum they needed to show that they were committed to the consumer market. Especially after all of those "RIM is leaving the consumer market" articles that happened just a while ago. They didn't do that.
    RIM's commitment to gaming and FUN apps that were shown shows they are not leaving the consumer market

no matter what RIM does they will face slander, I think RIM did a good job with this event, I would have liked a little more information shared about when we'll see PB2.1 and Release hints to the PlayBook 3G/4G
    05-03-12 04:55 PM
    It matters even if the event was for developers. RIM is often seen as being an enterprise focused company that's losing market share and has a bad app ecosystem. They needed to show developers that there is a viable market for apps on BB10/QNX and show them that they have a future in this app-centric phone market. My brother is a really popular developer on a certain platform (don't want to drag him into this) and he doesn't develop for BB because there's not a big enough audience. With RIM becoming more enterprise focused it's going to give him more reasons not to develop his apps (which are consumer focused) on App World.

First off, those articles are bunk. No one ever said RIM is abandoning the consumer market. RIM did say they are going to return their focus on the enterprise, so of course the pea-brained media assumes what they have assumed. Nowhere is it written that they can only do one at the exclusion of the other. Same thing happened when they trotted out the Dev Alpha device three days ago; because it was a full touch-screen phone, once again the pea-brained media decided that RIM was abandoning keyboards. And people gobble it up like it's fish and loaves from the hands of Jesus.

Secondly, RIM is making a concerted effort to woo developers, developers who build apps, apps that are geared toward consumers, the very consumers that are ripping on the BlackBerry platform for not having any apps. Exactly how is that not showing commitment to the consumer market?
    05-03-12 05:00 PM
    So tell us how you show that you're committed to the consumer market without actually revealing anything. Apparently a press conference is not enough.
    Show a list of popular developers that have developed (or have begun to develop) for Blackberry devices, make announcements that specific apps are coming, or even acknowledge that they're trying to get specific popular apps there for BB10 launch.

I never said to not reveal anything. I said not to reveal everything.
    vrs626 likes this.
    05-03-12 05:01 PM
    Show a list of popular developers that have developed (or have begun to develop) for Blackberry devices, make announcements that specific apps are coming, or even acknowledge that they're trying to get specific popular apps there for BB10 launch.

I never said to not reveal anything. I said not to reveal everything.
    Release of an actual device is months away (hence the once again plummeting stock price), and consumers' memories are crap ... especially North American consumers ... especially North American consumers being constantly bombarded with Android and iPhone ad blitzes. Now is simply not the time for such announcements.
    05-03-12 05:05 PM
    http://www.blackberryworld.com/event-info

Doesn't say it's a developer conference on the official site. If you click on "why attend" it focuses on blackberry users.

I wouldn't use "it's a developer conference" as an excuse anymore.
    05-03-12 05:10 PM
    Heins knows what he is doing. He gets it. The ones, Mike and Jim, did Not get it and in turn led to the business being kicked to the ground and not taken seriously.
    Now, we have a new CEO and he's showing us what Jim and Mike could not. Heins said they are very close to being complete from what I understood watching the Keynote Video. They are just waiting for the CMO to sign contracts.

*wishful thinking* What would be Awesome is if they were actually nearly completed (and just wanted to throw off the Other makers) say 90 percent but the rest of the 10 percent were to be done after Apple revealed theirs. This would give RIM more time to work on the BB10 device and then allowing carriers to test the device in secret. Come Launch Day RIM Blows Apple and Samsung Away with a Spectacular overhaul of Evvvverything. Like I said wishful thinking.

Be patient. 6 months can change.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 05:11 PM
    BlackBerry World 2012: Event Info

Doesn't say it's a developer conference on the official site. If you click on "why attend" it focuses on blackberry users.

I wouldn't use "it's a developer conference" as an excuse anymore.
    "The BlackBerry World conference is the largest annual gathering for the BlackBerry ecosystem, and the place where the community behind innovative BlackBerry solutions comes together to learn, share and network.

BlackBerry World brings together a wide range of audiences in the world of mobile technology:

- Business leaders and executives
    - IT Administrators and IT Decision Makers
    - Mobile Application Developers
    - BlackBerry Channel Partners, including those who sell to consumers, small- and medium-sized business, and enterprise customers
    - BlackBerry Alliance Members, including ISVs, content providers, developers, system integrators, hosters, professional services providers, and platform providers"

BlackBerry World 2012: About BlackBerry World

It may not be exclusively for developers, but obviously it's what they're trying to gain. They are already well established in the corporate sector.
    05-03-12 05:23 PM
    "The BlackBerry World™ conference is the largest annual gathering for the BlackBerry® ecosystem, and the place where the community behind innovative BlackBerry solutions comes together to learn, share and network.

BlackBerry World brings together a wide range of audiences in the world of mobile technology:

- Business leaders and executives
    - IT Administrators and IT Decision Makers
    - Mobile Application Developers
    - BlackBerry Channel Partners, including those who sell to consumers, small- and medium-sized business, and enterprise customers
    - BlackBerry Alliance Members, including ISVs, content providers, developers, system integrators, hosters, professional services providers, and platform providers"

BlackBerry World 2012: About BlackBerry World

It may not be exclusively for developers, but obviously it's what they're trying to gain. They are already well established in the corporate sector.
    So if we are to accept your argument doesn't it just lend credence to the OPs argument that rim has zero concerns about the consumer? I'm not saying I agree with that, however BlackBerry world used to be considered a consumer/business show. If that isn't the case anymore I have to ask what are they doing for the consumer?

Merely playing devils advocate here.
    05-03-12 05:26 PM
    If that isn't the case anymore I have to ask what are they doing for the consumer?
    Gee, I don't know... Maybe building a brand new touch-based operating system due to recent struggles in the North American consumer market dominated by other touch-based operating systems?
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    05-03-12 05:30 PM
    Gee, I don't know... Maybe building a brand new touch-based operating system due to recent struggles in the North American consumer market dominated by other touch-based operating systems?
    And from what I have seen of pics on the net, the Dev Alpha device looks a h@ll of a lot better than Sammy's production S3.
    05-03-12 05:44 PM

lol. I wonder how many people missed this.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD