the devices are still available, but the buyers are not
    Buyers are available, new bbos devices aren't, they're all a good few years old now.
    07-01-15 05:20 PM
    Buyers are available, new bbos devices aren't, they're all a good few years old now.
    no, they aren't
    07-01-15 05:44 PM
    True, but perhaps the holdouts will behave differently. They haven't switched to another OS by now for some reason. We'll find out soon enough though.

Posted via CB10
    We know why ... their phone is not broken and they have limited needs , they are on a old BlackBerry Plan or they need BIS. Some people do not like change.
    07-01-15 06:16 PM
    Bottom line if you value your business and you need to be productive bb is the only choice I got no time to play games.....

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 07:15 PM
    If you go on BlackBerry's store they no longer sell os7 devices. Imo I'm glad about this as os7 were already declining and it should increase sales for BlackBerry 10 devices.
    You mean for American and Canadian sites, I presume.
    Still available in several countries:

So os7 finally done?-capture.png

also in
    So os7 finally done?-capture.pngSo os7 finally done?-capture.png

This was expected for N.A (no 9720 was a strong sign).
    Not sure about Africa and other countries.
    Also, as it is now 90% (wet thumb) business devices, they can choose to only use their channels (VAR, carriers) to offer them.

Anyways this does not mean OS7 will be discontinued soon; they're legally engaged for a while, I guess.

FTR: "a pear for the thirst"
    I remember a study about Africa where BBOS still have a big traction as the "high-end" users now migrated to BB10, the mid-low market still sees the Brand as iconic and enjoy used devices and discounted new ones.

So, I believe this will be localized decisions.
    Will it help BB10 sales ? Well ... I'm not sure we can make any forecast about that.
    07-02-15 06:15 AM
    I think there are plenty of reasons that os7 users would go to BlackBerry 10.

1. If they have been using os7, they were not big app users to begin with. For them, BlackBerry 10 will already be a huge upgrade in terms of app content anyways.
    I have never been a big App user (compared to friends and colleagues) but there are still bundles of Apps that are still available for BBOS that are still not available for BB10 (eg ALL FOUR of the banking apps that I could happily still use if I still had my old Bolds).

Another problem affecting upgrade ratios to BB10 (or not) is what happened with Corporate Internal Apps - many Corporates had a strong tie to BlackBerry because they had so many bespoke apps that only ran on BBOS - as soon as BlackBerry indicated a move from BBOS to BB10, the Corporates no longer had such a strong reason to stay with BlackBerry, as all of their Apps would have to re-written for a new platform anyway. I have no idea whether it is/was technically possible, but I always wondered why BlackBerry never came out with a 'BBOS Runtime' to enable BBOS Apps to be run on the BB10 Platform (even if the BBOS Apps may need a slight amount of tweaking).

Note: as a PM (NOT technical) I have previously lead Projects & Programmes that developed BBOS Corporate Internal Apps in multiple industry sectors, including: banking, insurance, legal, central government, government agencies, & healthcare.

That's my two pennorth for today!
    CivilDissident likes this.
    07-02-15 06:43 AM
    Sometimes I wonder why posters want to cover the sun with one finger.

Seriously, most os7 users are replacing their phones with android or iPhone.

It has nothing to do on how great or bad is bb10, keyboards, etc. It's just a fact.

BlackBerry has not delivered a phone (or another product) that attract the masses on bb10 and the odds are it will never be able to do it.

Even if when bb10 was released. If it had been released with 10.3.2 and all current devices plus even the future slider. It would have still failed.

I totally believe if BlackBerry wants to become relevant in phones, it has to produce a new product (not a phone) that will entice customers to also buy the phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 07:22 AM

Another problem affecting upgrade ratios to BB10 (or not) is what happened with Corporate Internal Apps - many Corporates had a strong tie to BlackBerry because they had so many bespoke apps that only ran on BBOS - as soon as BlackBerry indicated a move from BBOS to BB10, the Corporates no longer had such a strong reason to stay with BlackBerry, as all of their Apps would have to re-written for a new platform anyway. I have no idea whether it is/was technically possible, but I always wondered why BlackBerry never came out with a 'BBOS Runtime' to enable BBOS Apps to be run on the BB10 Platform (even if the BBOS Apps may need a slight amount of tweaking).

SPOILER

In the book losing the signal it is revealed Mike Lazaridis killed the plan to make bb10 compatible with bbos because he didn't want anything java os related on the new os

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 11:27 AM
    SPOILER

In the book losing the signal it is revealed Mike Lazaridis killed the plan to make bb10 compatible with bbos because he didn't want anything java os related on the new os

Posted via CB10
    Interesting - thanks for the info.

I assume there was a good technical reason for this - but in my view it was also a very flawed business decision (along with releasing the Z10 as the first BB10 device).
    07-02-15 11:33 AM
    I assume there was a good technical reason for this
    I believe Java was then (and still is on several fronts) a major security concern when mixed with other environments. (short: java alone: ok, BB10 alone : ok , Java+BB10 : very hard to secure)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-02-15 at 01:03 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-02-15 12:40 PM
    OS7:
    -last update: circa 2 years ago.
    -FREAK vulnerability: still not patched, although two thirds of the remaining BB customers are still using it and the company "advertises" their devices nowadays mainly by "security".

Yup, looks pretty much done.
    07-02-15 12:49 PM
    I assume there was a good technical reason for this
    I imagine it would have substantially delayed the device further and enhanced memory requirements.

Building a new OS is hard

Building a new OS that runs another's apps is harder

Building a new OS that runs another's apps and is backwards compatible with an old OS is harder still.

I imagine - for right or for wrong - it came down to - how quickly can we get a modern OS into market?
    11-25-15 11:15 AM
    OP - Let it go. OS7 was done 5 years ago but got to hang around another 2 years until BB10 stabilized. It's over. Let it die with little remaining dignity.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 11:28 AM
    OP - Let it go. OS7 was done 5 years ago but got to hang around another 2 years until BB10 stabilized. It's over. Let it die with little remaining dignity.

Posted via CB10
    I have many fond memories of the old days with my Curve. You can imagine that there's still plenty of business people with legacy devices for work.

On a different note, I'd like to know how the old facebook app is holding out on the legacy devices. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure that blackberry (RIM) develops the fb app for the legacy devices also.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2639/SR .2474  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    11-25-15 12:38 PM
64 123