If you are using it to download the Amazon App Store, then yes. I am sure there is no official Amazon support for BlueStacks either.
    There's a fairly wide gap between "not supported" and "violates ToS". Especially in this situation.

Posted via CB10
    wgtcarlos likes this.
    11-21-13 09:20 PM
    True.

But then I can't believe devs are NOT aware BlackBerry users want their apps (like instagram or whatever).

They know.

And yet they're not doing anything - and yes, wouldn't it be more money etc.

I think I believe what I wrote above and that bothers me a great deal.

But then it's all business.

Posted via CB10
    I think that perhaps if someone could quantify to the powers that be (for something like Instagram) how many users are wanting to download it then they might at least allow a Dev a little leeway to even port an app across if not code an entirely native one. That is all kind of predicated on there being one or more Dev(s) in the various organizations willing to go out on a limb and press for support internally for BB10.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-22-13 08:25 AM
    What about the developers?

Today, on CB, there was a thread in which one member helped another procure a paid apk. To "try" it out.

How do we ensure the developers don't get screwed?
    Well isn't THAT classy?
    11-22-13 09:18 AM
    There are reports on people getting malware and viri from some of the alternate sites in Kevin's thread. Wonderful sites to be visiting.
    But the app gap is 'gone' and that's all that matters, right? RIGHT?!

Insert massive eyeroll here.
    paper_monkey and kbz1960 like this.
    11-22-13 09:19 AM
    It's a shame that bb10 owners are okay with such mediocrity. The sideloading, downloading apps from shady sites, and now mooching off the amazon store. You guys should demand more from blackberry's developer relations department (I mean c'mon you are paying their salaries). Jumping through all those hoops just to get apps = sloppy in my book. My expectations are high, especially if the company is charging me top dollar for their products. You're making their jobs easier by settling for amazon, sideloading, and 1mobile.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    11-22-13 09:38 AM
    It's a shame that bb10 owners are okay with such mediocrity. The sideloading, downloading apps from shady sites, and now mooching off the amazon store. You guys should demand more from blackberry's developer relations department (I mean c'mon you are paying their salaries). Jumping through all those hoops just to get apps = sloppy in my book. My expectations are high, especially if the company is charging me top dollar for their products. You're making their jobs easier by settling for amazon, sideloading, and 1mobile.

EXACTLY. Well said.

It is a shame it has come to this - but then it is also indicative of the dire circumstances BlackBerry finds itslef in.

But hey, Alec tweets in double talk and it's all ok to swim in this ambiguity and mediocrity because BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-22-13 10:02 AM
    I think that perhaps if someone could quantify to the powers that be (for something like Instagram) how many users are wanting to download it then they might at least allow a Dev a little leeway to even port an app across if not code an entirely native one. That is all kind of predicated on there being one or more Dev(s) in the various organizations willing to go out on a limb and press for support internally for BB10.

I have been assuming that they already know the numbers.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-22-13 10:03 AM
    Oh they must have people tweeting and facebooking and all that. I can't believe they are NOT aware. WP8 has been clamouring and, in the end, it's there. But then the platform is on the rise.

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-22-13 10:04 AM
    Good point.

I'm not sure that there is one easy answer which is frustrating to say the least.. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

More importantly, I hope that light isn't on the front of a train.
    whoa.. too much time with the kids watching teletoon retro it would seem.
    11-22-13 10:23 AM
    Oh they must have people tweeting and facebooking and all that. I can't believe they are NOT aware. WP8 has been clamouring and, in the end, it's there. But then the platform is on the rise.

Posted via CB10
    I guess it also begs to question how much money has been spent to date trying to 'buy' apps for the ecosystem and whether or not it would make a difference if they added their marketing budget into that slush fund as well (unless of course they had some plans to use it for marketing some day..)
    11-22-13 10:26 AM
    Good point.

I'm not sure that there is one easy answer which is frustrating to say the least.. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

More importantly, I hope that light isn't on the front of a train.
    whoa.. too much time with the kids watching teletoon retro it would seem.
    When I hear "the light at the end of the tunnel" I am always reminded of General Westmoreland right before the Tet Offensive. Generational thing.
    11-22-13 10:27 AM
    What are BlackBerry haters? People who question and who want to make up their own minds about things and who don't blindly accept something an anonymous someone says on an internet forum when it comes to loading software on his/her device?

I thought that was the premier definition of a prosumer. An independent thinker. Silly me....
    Didn't you realise, you're not supposed to have an opinion or even think in here.

Geeks United C00122408
    Poirots Progeny, JeepBB and bekkay like this.
    11-22-13 10:29 AM
    There are reports on people getting malware and viri from some of the alternate sites in Kevin's thread. Wonderful sites to be visiting.
    Which thread?

Geeks United C00122408
    11-22-13 10:34 AM
    Didn't you realise, you're not supposed to have an opinion or even think in here.

Geeks United C00122408
    Shhhhh.... they're listening. The thought police....

They mostly come at night.. mostly
    11-22-13 10:37 AM

What about those of us who refuse to sideload, won't use leaked software and certainly don't settle for second best from BlackBerry?

Geeks United C00122408
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-22-13 10:38 AM
    Shhhhh.... they're listening. The thought police....

They mostly come at night.. mostly
    Again? Haven't they got ear-plugs?

Geeks United C00122408
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-22-13 10:39 AM
    There was an interesting point raised (well interesting to me at least) in the offshoot thread from this that essentially looked at a model where Android Devs can have their APKs hosted in BBAppWorld which would allow them to track metrics on what kind of interest there is as well as getting feedback from the community at what needs work/fixing. I'm not sure if there's enough time left but if enough Devs saw that there was interest from the community, it might convince them to create native versions of their apps.
    Only the last part of your post makes little sense to me. Otherwise, I agree with you.

If Android Developers are allowed to post fully-functional apks directly to BlackBerry's App World, and they're able to track user interest and "bugs," then they'll simply update the apks, versus creating a native app, let alone a port.

Updating and fixing the apk allows the developer to cater to both the Play Store and BlackBerry's App World; and getting user feedback from BlackBerry users (using the Android runtime) allows the application to improve on both platforms.

If the process becomes seamless, and the Android apps run as good as native BB10 applications, then BlackBerry may even promote developers posting their apks to the App World, eliminating the need for users to visit (possibly sketchy) third-party app stores and creating a consistent experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-22-13 11:05 AM
    What about those of us who refuse to sideload, won't use leaked software and certainly don't settle for second best from BlackBerry?

Geeks United C00122408
    Well... we just get what we get then - and we surely do pay for it hard!

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-22-13 12:08 PM
    Well... we just get what we get then - and we surely do pay for it hard!

Posted via CB10
    Seems BlackBerry users pay more for less.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-22-13 01:12 PM
    There's a fairly wide gap between "not supported" and "violates ToS". Especially in this situation.

Posted via CB10

Is there? So why is BB10 (or BlueStacks) not supported again?

Don't you think that, if using the app store was in accordance with the ToS, Amazon would HAVE to support BB10 or BlueStacks?
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-22-13 02:08 PM
    So, since we haven't actually got there yet...

What IS the next thing to complain about?

11-22-13 02:20 PM

I'm not sure what you want BB10 users to do... walk up to every major app developers HQ and demand native apps or face our wrath ? rofl.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 03:00 PM
    Unless you're on a full touch device, the app gap is not closed at all. Most of the android apps are not running properly. And i don't mean that one or two functions are not working, no, i mean that it's not useable at all because some controlls/buttons etc are not visible...

When you are a keyboard blackberry user, you learned it the hard way that nothing compares to adjusted apps from bb world. Not necessarily only native, but official adjusted to be used on the square screen of q5/q10. For these users, the situations right now is developing in the wrong direction because bb world becomes more and more irrelevant for (most of the) users of z10/z30 and developers see that.

It's hell when a buddy tells you "you have to try xxx app, it runs now butter smooth under 10.2.1.xxxx" and you try it and you cannot see the damn controls or the app doesn't recognize keyboard input
    Poirots Progeny and JeepBB like this.
    11-22-13 03:02 PM
    I'm not sure what you want BB10 users to do... walk up to every major app developers HQ and demand native apps or face our wrath ? rofl.

Posted via CB10
    Guess you forgot about the Netflix boycott
    kbz1960, paper_monkey and JeepBB like this.
    11-22-13 04:41 PM
    So, since we haven't actually got there yet...

What IS the next thing to complain about?

The latest trend seems to be complaining about who should be allowed to post and where...
    11-22-13 04:42 PM
1,792 ... 6263646566 ...