Sorry, but this is a copout added because your assertion is ridiculous. Since when is the definition of prosumer someone who wants to pirate other apps? As of now you still have to use leaked OS- so only prosumers are interested? Your definition of prosumer must really be "BlackBerry diehard tech guy." There is no such thing as a prosumer. And if you insist these are the corporate and government users, well- they wouldn't even be allowed to use unofficial OS or apps by the company.

Posted via CB10
    Pirate means stealing. Stealing means withholding money from someone. How am I pirating when I buy an app from the amazon appstore.?

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    11-15-13 05:27 PM
    Oh wow.

Well, can't really argue with that. Should be smooth sailing for BB10 and BBRY now.
    +1
    11-15-13 05:28 PM
    "So now that the App Gap is gone, whats the next complaint?"

hemorroids or genital itching???
    11-15-13 05:31 PM
    Blackberry would build those apps if they were allowed to.

Well that also tells you something

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 05:34 PM
    My mind is wide open, because I actually make suggestions in the Beta Zone, I download leaks and maybe sideloaded one or two apps.

But that doesn't change the fact of the analogy being pretty bad.
    And your mind being completely closed when it comes down to BlackBerry's competition.

Is any one of them an official source, supported and promoted by BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Relax dude, this is a positive step in the right direction. Stop hating.
    11-15-13 05:35 PM

A step in the positive direction would have been BlackBerry way back when never implementing Android runtime and instead put some work into trying to get native app developers on board.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 05:38 PM
    Always such a Debbie Downer; you alone singly almost ruin this entire awesome site, well at least the forum's, for me...

Sincere question: Is there any way to "block" somebody so their posts/replies just do not visibly show up to you? Obviously not on a per message basis as that would totally defeat the purpose, but instead en masse, and in advance, to include all future (negative, depressing, often patronizing, consistently condescending, and in a master stroke of next-level annoyance, now third-person) posts?

Apologies if there is in fact some simple, well known, way to do this that I am not aware of. Thank you very much to the great majority of the community (and by the way, I do NOT think that healthy debate should be eliminated; I also would definitely not go so far as to say the recent update “closes the app gap” completely, purely because the average user needs everything simple and spoon fed, but this is certainly a huge step in the right direction from traditional “side-loading”… regardless of some opinions).

One last thing: this is nothing more than a personal opinion and most certainly not some big "attack" etc. I just want to be able to continue to browse, and very occasionally post, to the forum’s and if the above request is not possible just don’t see that being possible any longer.

Thanks again all, take care and have a great weekend!
    Absolutely. It's the little rectangle on the top right corner of the post window to report anything you might find offensive. To set ignore go to the user's profile and set from there.

Enjoy using it in good health.
    11-15-13 05:40 PM
    Of the three apps I installed from Amazon app store all three worked for a while then crashed. Not a very good start really. So whilst this is an extra avenue we can go down I still believe that native apps will be much better than Android apps that may or may not run.

Whoosh! Z10 in action!
    Same here, they load and then just crash.

My app gap is still firmly in existence
    11-15-13 05:41 PM
    A positive step in the right direction????

Android is only a few years old and they have there own app store with apps designed for their OS They didn't use anyone else).

Windows phone 8 is younger than android and again they have their own store with apps developed for windows phone 8.

Apple, well they have the same

The sad thing is that BlackBerry was in the business of making smartphones way before all of the above and yet look what they are doing now, borrowing apps from competitors

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-15-13 05:41 PM
    My biggest complaint is that 90 percent of people that don't have BB10 devices at this moment, aren't going to know you can directly install APK files from the device now.
    11-15-13 05:44 PM
    So, first off, I'll agree that the title of this thread is a little presumptuous. Ideally, long term, the "app gap" will be addressed by quality NATIVE apps.

That said, I'm really surprised by the negativity expressed here. We don't have Google Play Services, no, but there are many, many Android phones out there that don't, either, and rely on 3rd party Android app stores like Amazon or 1mobile. It is EXTREMELY easy to download the apps for one of these stores, and now we have the opportunity to easily install APKs without having to rely on hacks like converting to a BAR or putting the phone in Developer Mode.

The process has gone from being a significant barrier to non-techie users to virtually no barrier at all; I have already walked through the process to download 1mobile with a non-tech user and I assure you it wasn't intimidating at all.

No, not all APKs will operate properly, but Netflix and Instagram both work great; these two on their own make a big difference for a lot of users. Bank of America reportedly works, and there's going to be all manner of what I'd call "mid-tier" apps like this that are going to suddenly be available. This serves to make the phone much more usable.

Again, ideally, we'd be getting quality native BB10 apps for all of this, but given the reality of BB's market share that's just not going to happen any time soon. Having this option makes BB10 a lot more attractive to a lot more people.
    grover5 and BlackStormRising like this.
    11-15-13 05:44 PM
    How do you convince developers to support this?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Don't know but that's the only way I would think it's not so bad.
    11-15-13 05:45 PM
    Pirate means stealing. Stealing means withholding money from someone. How am I pirating when I buy an app from the amazon appstore.?

Go back and read the comments on the forum you started. "App Developer" cleared this issue up for you. I notice you didn't have much to say about how government and most corporations will absolutely not allow anything that is not official or native on a phone they issued. So much for your prosumer market...

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 05:47 PM
    A positive step in the right direction????

Android is only a few years old and they have there own app store with apps designed for their OS They didn't use anyone else).

Windows phone 8 is younger than android and again they have their own store with apps developed for windows phone 8.

Apple, well they have the same

The sad thing is that BlackBerry was in the business of making smartphones way before all of the above and yet look what they are doing now, borrowing apps from competitors

Posted via CB10
    Hindsight is 20/20. Most of us who have been on CB any length of time have heard all about how badly BlackBerry dropped the ball.

This misses the point that BB10 is a viable platform NOW, and having the ability to easily install and run Android apps doesn't hurt it at all.

ETA: Since you mention Windows Phone 8, it's worth noting that its app store, while definitely having some good quality titles, also has its share of garbage and isn't THAT much larger than BB World. However, BB gaining the easy ability to install and run Android apps could serve to suddenly give it a fairly significant advantage over WP8.
    grover5 likes this.
    11-15-13 05:48 PM
    So, first off, I'll agree that the title of this thread is a little presumptuous. Ideally, long term, the "app gap" will be addressed by quality NATIVE apps.

That said, I'm really surprised by the negativity expressed here. We don't have Google Play Services, no, but there are many, many Android phones out there that don't, either, and rely on 3rd party Android app stores like Amazon or 1mobile. It is EXTREMELY easy to download the apps for one of these stores, and now we have the opportunity to easily install APKs without having to rely on hacks like converting to a BAR or putting the phone in Developer Mode.

The process has gone from being a significant barrier to non-techie users to virtually no barrier at all; I have already walked through the process to download 1mobile with a non-tech user and I assure you it wasn't intimidating at all.

No, not all APKs will operate properly, but Netflix and Instagram both work great; these two on their own make a big difference for a lot of users. Bank of America reportedly works, and there's going to be all manner of what I'd call "mid-tier" apps like this that are going to suddenly be available. This serves to make the phone much more usable.

Again, ideally, we'd be getting quality native BB10 apps for all of this, but given the reality of BB's market share that's just not going to happen any time soon. Having this option makes BB10 a lot more attractive to a lot more people.
    BlackBerry native apps will close the gap nothing else.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 05:48 PM
    Having this option makes BB10 a lot more attractive to a lot more people.
    What are your thoughts about long term? Do you feel this is sustainable over time? Does it move devices?
    11-15-13 05:50 PM
    "So now that the App Gap is gone, whats the next complaint?"

hemorroids or genital itching???
    You can catch that in the 1mobile app store
    SEAWARRIOR and xandermac like this.
    11-15-13 05:50 PM
    well.....from the time I left this thread this morning to now, I went to get my car fixed and ended up getting a 2014 4WD Honda CRV in BAD GIRL RED. Talk about an impulse buy....at least it wasn't a new phone...

SO......I haven't played with the phone....I'll have to report back after reading all the owner manuals, etc....

11-15-13 05:51 PM
    Always such a Debbie Downer; you alone singly almost ruin this entire awesome site, well at least the forum's, for me...

Sincere question: Is there any way to "block" somebody so their posts/replies just do not visibly show up to you? Obviously not on a per message basis as that would totally defeat the purpose, but instead en masse, and in advance, to include all future (negative, depressing, often patronizing, consistently condescending, and in a master stroke of next-level annoyance, now third-person) posts?

Apologies if there is in fact some simple, well known, way to do this that I am not aware of. Thank you very much to the great majority of the community (and by the way, I do NOT think that healthy debate should be eliminated; I also would definitely not go so far as to say the recent update �closes the app gap� completely, purely because the average user needs everything simple and spoon fed, but this is certainly a huge step in the right direction from traditional �side-loading�� regardless of some opinions).

One last thing: this is nothing more than a personal opinion and most certainly not some big "attack" etc. I just want to be able to continue to browse, and very occasionally post, to the forum�s and if the above request is not possible just don�t see that being possible any longer.

Thanks again all, take care and have a great weekend!
    She does not deserve this...I love her thoughtful posts- if you don't like what she says then just ignore her comments rather than taking it all so personally!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 05:51 PM
    Apps gap been field, but some of the apps like facebook messanger and viber arnt getting the notifications of receiving any msg on them? Will this problem be sorted out?
    11-15-13 05:57 PM
    Um. You must of missed the memo. 10.2.1 removes the need for side loading. You can install android apps directly to your phone through multiple sources.

A sideloaded app is a band-aid. It is a last resort from blackberry lovers to prove they are still current. I have only sideloaded 2 apps, Kik and Snapchat and they dont work worth a ****. They are slow, and crash more than any native app i have ever tried. I havent tried the google play store yet so i cant comment on that.
    The apps are not native to blackberry, and run like garbage. Also 10.2.1 is not out yet unless you are a techy and are into running the leaked version. Your general public is not interested in installing leaked software and will notice the glitches and crashing of the apps while exclaiming "**** this phone is a piece of ****"
    11-15-13 06:01 PM
    I would never recommend anyone install an android app store and pay for apps through it, to use on bb10.
    You get no guarantees it will work, no support if they don't work or stop working down the line. There will be problems, somewhere along the line, with running software where it was not meant to be run, without the developers consent and involvement.

If you're going to pirate, do it in style, paying for what you're pirating defeats the purpose and somehow makes it worse. You're paying for the app and still using it illegally, and still not entitled to any support or functionality. How can that possibly be a positive on any planet in the universe?

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:06 PM
    well.....from the time I left this thread this morning to now, I went to get my car fixed and ended up getting a 2014 4WD Honda CRV in BAD GIRL RED. Talk about an impulse buy....at least it wasn't a new phone...
    Congrats! It's beautiful! I drive a big red car myself.

Small warning: cops tend to notice big red cars.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-15-13 06:09 PM
    My biggest complaint is that 90 percent of people that don't have BB10 devices at this moment, aren't going to know you can directly install APK files from the device now.
    Whos to say the official version won't have a 3rd party app store preloaded?

11-15-13 06:10 PM
    Not so black and white. The gap has simply been shortened; where apps are easier to obtain and more are compatible.

It's nice to see blackberry making a big effort to "bridge" the gap.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:10 PM
1,792 ... 1213141516 ...