Um. You must of missed the memo. 10.2.1 removes the need for side loading. You can install android apps directly to your phone through multiple sources.

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    And how exactly do you get that leak OS onto the phone if it's not sideloading?
    11-15-13 01:30 PM
    Because Nokia wasn't running around telling everyone that would listen to "please buy us". BB is so desperate, they even flew execs to FB HQ to beg. BB will have to fix itself.
    They are a publicly traded company, they have to reveal intentions.

11-15-13 01:31 PM
    And how exactly do you get that leak OS onto the phone if it's not sideloading?
    I'm talking about apps. To get the os you dl it on your computer, plug your blackberry in and double click the file. Or you can wait for the official ota release. The choice is yours.

11-15-13 01:32 PM
    You really can't explain why it's bad. BlackBerry is making apps universal, just like a movie across multiple different products. Really hard to comprehend?

1) your analogy was grotesque.
    Read it again, and then come back.

2) as long as there isn't an official way that is being supported and promoted by BlackBerry, the status quo is the same as before for 99% of consumers.
    What is so hard to understand about that?

3) It's a complete disaster for native devs and the Android devs have no incentive to make Cascades apps.

4) BlackBerry doesn't profit, in any way, from sales on a sideloaded app-store that's not supported by them.

5) BlackBerry isn't making anything universal. They just included a way to use apps from other platforms that aren't native to the BlackBerry environment.
    If anything, apps based on HTML5 would be considered something universal.

I'm talking about apps. To get the os you dl it on your computer, plug your blackberry in and double click the file. Or you can wait for the official ota release. The choice is yours.

It's a non-choice for the vast majority of consumers. To understand that, is your choice though.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, JasW, Cynycl and 2 others like this.
    11-15-13 01:35 PM
    You really can't explain why it's bad. BlackBerry is making apps universal, just like a movie across multiple different products. Really hard to comprehend?

Now come on. BBRY did not make apps universal, that's not what you were trying to say. They do have a "player for Android apps" which doesn't make apps universal either.
    MarsupilamiX and Cynycl like this.
    They are a publicly traded company, they have to reveal intentions.

Huh? WTF are you talking about? The harder you try to make people believe your sales pitch, the further you go off the tracks.
    MarsupilamiX, Cynycl and bbq10l like this.

So this leak is available for all BB OS10 phones?
    11-15-13 01:36 PM
    Sideloading apps is for Blackberry diehards. A sideloaded app is a band-aid. It is a last resort from blackberry lovers to prove they are still current. I have only sideloaded 2 apps, Kik and Snapchat and they dont work worth a ****. They are slow, and crash more than any native app i have ever tried. I havent tried the google play store yet so i cant comment on that. But i did slideload with a PC and my wifi connection. I told one person about it and they replied "hahahah wow....why don't you just get a *insert any other smart phone company here*"

Try telling a single 20-40 female old girl that she should switch to Blackberry and she will laugh in your face. Its not current, its old, and you cant get snapchat on it, or kik, or zoosk, or tinder.

I understand that older people may not care about trendy apps because they don't use them, but that is what drove the 18-30 year old customer base away from blackberry. They have all left. As they grow older they will continue to upgrade their iphones and not even consider a blackberry. Good luck getting them back with features that are years behind the competition.
    oh my.. I'm old at 35.. I haven't heard of half of those apps and I'm still rockin' a curve 9300
    I bought a BlackBerry not an app machine....

Posted via CB10
    Neither did wp8 and now a year and a half later it's starting to take off.
    Because they stuck to their strategy and didn't flail around.

They patiently built a catalog of native apps that fit their desired look and feel. They built high quality tools, which they delivered on time. They chose their preferred development platform, made that clear, and stuck to it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I was merely pointing out the fact that the solution is almost here, and that it has been confirmed by insiders. Of course BlackBerry would have had to say that the Google Play Store is not coming, as it would otherwise be manipulating the Stock, especially as they probably don't have a firm date or time frame.

Sorry, I can see how my remark could come off as dickish.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    I've always understood if a public company is asked a question through official channels where the answer could severely impact share value and they lie with the intent of controlling the stock price, they could get in a wee bit of trouble.
    11-15-13 01:40 PM

LOL, can't wait to see the kiosk sales folks in the mall for Christmas season explaining that to the masses. Well we have this Blackberry phone which comming soon might get an official update that may allow you to get andriod apps that may or may not work properly on your phone. If you want those Android apps on your over priced and under spec'd phone right now I can take an hour and show you how to download a software leak and sideload it to your phone.

Hey wait....where you going.... damn.................should have never took this job on commission basis.
    bbq10l and Rolf Hed like this.
    11-15-13 01:40 PM
    Um. You must of missed the memo. 10.2.1 removes the need for side loading. You can install android apps directly to your phone through multiple sources.

This is a semantics argument at best... I will concede that you are no longer 'side loading' apps if you will concede that in order to do so, you have to go through an even more complicated process in installing a leaked OS. At the end of the day, does it matter if people are talking about side loading or leaked OSs? Either way, it is a process that the average user is _not_ going to go through and, quite frankly, shouldn't have to. I can tell you that my wife would likely use netflix on her Z10 if I set it up for her but the first time something went wrong or there was some strange error (related to the side loading or not) she would ask me to take it off her phone and she would never even think of looking up what side loading is, let alone attempt to do it herself.
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-15-13 01:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    They should use that for a slogan
    Saiga, look_alive, bbq10l and 2 others like this.
    11-15-13 01:48 PM

And who is to say that this functionality will still be in the official release of the OS? If this is something that they have been playing around with and they pull the plug on it are the average consumer expected to load a leaked OS onto their phone and maintain it until their bandaid solution is somehow supported again?
    11-15-13 01:49 PM
    And who is to say that this functionality will still be in the official release of the OS?
    I really, really hope it isn't in the official release. If they release this, it's a giant "F U" to the developer community.

This is not an app strategy. This is a jilted lover running down to the dive bar and fawning over anyone who will pay her attention. It's just sad from what was once such an awesome and respected brand.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    xandermac likes this.
    11-15-13 01:54 PM
    Quick question - for the downloadable Android apps, are they able to communicate with each other and BB native apps? Do notifications appear in the Hub?
    kbz1960 and xandermac like this.
    11-15-13 01:56 PM
    Unless its available in their app store for the average joe meaning (everyone who doesn't frequent fan forums) which is the VAST MAJORITY it wont matter. People want to go to app store do a search for ________and hit download.
    Then when an update is available they can just hit the update arrow. A runtime while great will not overcome this until the app is available in THEIR OWN STORE.

Sometimes i think some of the posters here live in a bubble and just dont get this simple fact.
    Consider this do you think apple would be as successful as it is if you had to go through all that just to try out an app??? Same goes for andriod

Jesse its time to cook.....
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-15-13 01:57 PM
    That's bound to increase those spectacular quarterly worldwide sales from 4.5 million units to a good 4.51 million units.
    11-15-13 02:03 PM
    Tools not toys!
    Oh wait, that worked so wonderfully the last time

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 02:07 PM
    Quick question - for the downloadable Android apps, are they able to communicate with each other and BB native apps? Do notifications appear in the Hub?
    They do in the alert section of the hub. The 1mobile android store app also updated some of my android apps in downloaded through bbworld.

11-15-13 02:13 PM
    And there in one sentence you've neatly summarized why so few others have bought a BlackBerry.
    look_alive, bbq10l and kirson like this.
    11-15-13 02:14 PM
    They do in the alert section of the hub. The 1mobile android store app also updated some of my android apps in downloaded through bbworld.

Awesome. What about the ability to communicate between apps?
    11-15-13 02:15 PM
    You know, I'm really not taking about sales or new customers, this whole thread was about BlackBerry's effort to make current customers happy. Then I get completely attacked by a lack of rabid dogs who will only take doom for an answer. Perhaps some of you are in the wrong place? Maybe if you have so many complaints about BlackBerry try the official BlackBerry forums. I don't know. This place really has become almost unbearable

Breezygirl8 and elGuapoTorres like this.
    11-15-13 02:15 PM
    You know, I'm really not taking about sales or new customers, this whole thread was about BlackBerry's effort to make current customers happy. Then I get completely attacked by a lack of rabid dogs who will only take doom for an answer. Perhaps some of you are in the wrong place? Maybe if you have so many complaints about BlackBerry try the official BlackBerry forums. I don't know. This place really has become almost unbearable

I think that I already understood it, but I'll ask out of courtesy:
    What did you expect with the ridiculous premise of your thread?

Posted via CB10
    look_alive, bbq10l and DrBoomBotz like this.
    11-15-13 02:22 PM
1,792 ... 89101112 ...