So you are implying that Google's ART will not be supported in the future in BB10?

The current BB10 android runtime is within user protected space. So realistically we can swap in the ART at any point.

The beauty of the microkernel
    Posted via CB10
    Read post #555:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ml#post9607736

Geeks United C00122408
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-25-13 04:08 PM
    BBRY won't have to open up to apks.. Now, that's the brilliance of this: consumers can procure apps by themselves.

Genius.
    I wasn't saying they should open up to APKs. I just said they aren't and its been confirmed.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-25-13 04:17 PM
    They won't be allowing APK direct submissions to BB world in the future. I asked Alec a few days ago when the leak first came out

Attachment 224216
    Thanks for posting confirmation.

Geeks United C00122408
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-25-13 04:19 PM
    I wasn't saying they should open up to APKs. I just said they aren't and its been confirmed.
    Yep, I know. Your post triggered the idea, hence the quote.
    11-25-13 04:42 PM
    snip...Users will have to use the same discretion as using an Android device that doesn't support Google Play.
    This is the defining statement and why the app gap is not "officially" closed.

When a consumer walks out the store with a BB10 device, they will be "offically" in Blackberry's "walled garden".

Leaving average users to their own devices to figure out where to get APKs and then leave it to them to use their own "discretion" when obtaining these APKs on the surface doesn't appear to be a winning app gap solution when it just easier to get a mid-range or high end Android device with one stop shopping, better hardware, better Android app support, just better for the end user.

People really need to stop with all the "app gap" is officially closed.

No one here on CB can proclaim that with any authority.

It's better to shut up and let it play out.

Too many CBer's and Blackberry "Officials" have made other such bold claims or some other misguided statement and wound up with egg on their face.

For example:
    I support BBRY and I buy shares !
    The Z10 Is Already A Success
    Positive article from Forbes - Nearly Half Of BB Z10 Buyers Switching From iPhone And Android
    Major Canadian Retailer announces Z10 outselling iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3
    UK channel checks amassing!

Some Blackberry officials with there predictions:
    "Balsillie on the iPhone in February 2007: "It’s kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers ... But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that’s overstating it."

In May 2008, Mike Lazaridis called QWERTY keyboards the most exciting trend in mobile

Balsillie over promised, under delivered on the BlackBerry 6 platform when he said, "I'll think you'll just be amazed that how it's a quantum leap over anything that's out there."

Point is, don't make proclamations you can't backup.
    11-25-13 05:12 PM

When a consumer walks out the store with a BB10 device, they will be "offically" in Blackberry's "walled garden".

Leaving average users to their own devices to figure out where to get APKs and then leave it to them to use their own "discretion" when obtaining these APKs on the surface doesn't appear to be a winning app gap solution when it just easier to get a mid-range or high end Android device with one stop shopping, better hardware, better Android app support, just better for the end user.

Too many CBer's and Blackberry "Officials" have made other such bold claims or some other misguided statement and wound up with egg on their face.

For example:
    "Balsillie on the iPhone in February 2007: "It�s kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers ... But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that�s overstating it."

In May 2008, Mike Lazaridis called QWERTY keyboards the most exciting trend in mobile

Balsillie over promised, under delivered on the BlackBerry 6 platform when he said, "I'll think you'll just be amazed that how it's a quantum leap over anything that's out there."

Then there were the threads where BB10 was selling out and selling well. History and Earnings Reports have shown others.

Indeed.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-25-13 05:15 PM
    They won't be allowing APK direct submissions to BB world in the future. I asked Alec a few days ago when the leak first came out

Attachment 224216
    That's unfortunate -- it would have been the last option for apps that weren't native, and not ported.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-25-13 08:13 PM
    That's unfortunate -- it would have been the last option for apps that weren't native, and not ported.
    Perhaps some of the devs will port their APKs and submit to BB world now to stop the piracy. Maybe not. Who knows. Will have to wait until this OS is official most likely to know
    11-25-13 08:28 PM
    Perhaps some of the devs will port their APKs and submit to BB world now to stop the piracy. Maybe not. Who knows. Will have to wait until this OS is official most likely to know
    The more concerning part is how many users here have said flat out that , now that APK's will be easy to load, they will take it anyway if dev's don't port, so where's the motivation to port or convert to native style?
    11-25-13 08:51 PM
    The more concerning part is how many users here have said flat out that , now that APK's will be easy to load, they will take it anyway if dev's don't port, so where's the motivation to port or convert to native style?
    Zero incentive for them to now.

Native apps=coded for bb
    Ported apps=android apps repacked into a bar and available through BlackBerry world
    Apk's=native android apps not available through BlackBerry or "trusted sources" (alec's words). Some.work, some don't.
    11-25-13 09:18 PM
    Devs aren't porting anyway. Native apps won't get developed and ports won't happen until some BB10 phones get sold. This new Android Runtime is nothing more than a stop gap to keep current and future users engaged with the platform until the day comes when devs embrace BB10. The argument that the runtime would run off devs or make them to lazy to port doesn't make sense. What keeps devs away is the lack of subscribers.

Posted via my Z10 (BB#22) featuring Channel C0031BD24
    11-25-13 10:47 PM
    I predict a fire sale within 6 months.

Also, it's obvious that over 3-5 years times would change.

Meaning, as bb7 was to iPhone 4 and w.e else BlackBerry 10 is today.

It's the same thing. Who remembers the z10 browser problem where you had to turn off wifi then on again plus 10 other things.

It's not just android and ios.

It's more HTC, Samsung, ZTE, apple, BlackBerry, Nokia etc.

In the west Samsung, HTC, and apple have the rep. Especially now with stronger lower end offerings.

In the third world the rich buy like westerners but Nokia has a strong rep.

If any player will make a comeback out of the old big three, it'll be Motorola. Not Nokia or BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:25 PM
    Devs aren't porting anyway. Native apps won't get developed and ports won't happen until some BB10 phones get sold. This new Android Runtime is nothing more than a stop gap to keep current and future users engaged with the platform until the day comes when devs embrace BB10. The argument that the runtime would run off devs or make them to lazy to port doesn't make sense. What keeps devs away is the lack of subscribers.

Posted via my Z10 (BB#22) featuring Channel C0031BD24
    Lack of subscribers is really the key. Anyway we slice it, there are more iOS and Android users on BBM now than bb10 users.

We want to be relevant, it's just getting harder and harder to do so now.
    11-25-13 11:36 PM
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]

For example:
    The Z10 Is Already A Success
    Positive article from Forbes - Nearly Half Of BB Z10 Buyers Switching From iPhone And Android
    Major Canadian Retailer announces Z10 outselling iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3
    UK channel checks amassing!

Some Blackberry officials with there predictions:
    "Balsillie on the iPhone in February 2007: "It�s kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers ... But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that�s overstating it."

Beautiful!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-26-13 12:16 AM
    Users will have to use the same discretion as using an Android device that doesn't support Google Play
    I'll ask the question, since I honestly don't know. What Android devices don't support Google Play AND don't have a store of their own?
    11-26-13 07:54 AM
    Okay from another thread its seem the piracy is these alternative store having apps they shouldn't for download so it's the stores that are the pirates not the people who download them. So why is no one upset with these alternative stores? If it matters that much why is no one going after them?

And the gap remains.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    11-26-13 08:34 AM
    I'll ask the question, since I honestly don't know. What Android devices don't support Google Play AND don't have a store of their own?
    There's no such device, to my knowledge. All Android devices ship with access to an app store. But, the ones that don't ship with the Play Store are not authorized to use it, despite being compatible with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Pete The Penguin and JeepBB like this.
    11-26-13 09:09 AM
    Okay from another thread its seem the piracy is these alternative store having apps they shouldn't for download so it's the stores that are the pirates not the people who download them. So why is no one upset with these alternative stores? If it matters that much why is no one going after them?

And the gap remains.
    When you say it plainly like that, the entire discussion (including the audio) sidestepped the app stores and went straight at BlackBerry users.

I'll be honest: I think that entire discussion was click-bait, lol.

Amazon is a legit store, so I don't think "piracy" is the correct term to describe downloading from there.

kbz1960 and BlackStormRising like this.
    11-26-13 09:16 AM

Amazon is a legit store, so I don't think "piracy" is the correct term to describe downloading from there.

Amazon has already stated that while they don't support BB10 devices, users are welcome to use the store. Also per Amazon's agreement with devs, it clearly states that the dev has to agree to allow the app to be used on non-Android devices. So it appears that using Amazon is a completely legal way to get apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 10:23 AM

And the gap remains.
    What? Amazon is a pirate of apps?
    Their store is legitimate. Same as F-Droid, Yandex and SlideMe

Geeks United C00122408
    MERCDROID likes this.
    11-26-13 10:54 AM
    Amazon has already stated that while they don't support BB10 devices, users are welcome to use the store. Also per Amazon's agreement with devs, it clearly states that the dev has to agree to allow the app to be used on non-Android devices. So it appears that using Amazon is a completely legal way to get apps.

Posted via CB10
    While I can't say I would use the e-mail provided by an Amazon CSR as my sole legal defence in a court I think most of the people in this discussion have conceded that between the TOS and the statement from Amazon that downloading apps from the Amazon store, in and of itself, doesn't constitute piracy. I think there has been some confusion between the Amazon store and Google Play. Google Play has specific permissions for devices in their TOS which do not include BB10 so the apps there, regardless of format/packaging/paid for or not are being pirated if that is the source and they are ending up on a BB10 device. The issue that remains with the Amazon store is that to use it today on a BB10 device requires a leaked OS which BBRY has taken a very public (non supportive) stance on. Only way to resolve that is to see what this all looks like when the official release is let loose into the wild.

Were I a Dev, I think I would be very concerened with Amazon's TOS but in order to post your app in their store you have to agree to their TOS so that's a choice for each individual Dev to make.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-26-13 12:42 PM
    While I can't say I would use the e-mail provided by an Amazon CSR as my sole legal defence in a court I think most of the people in this discussion have conceded that between the TOS and the statement from Amazon that downloading apps from the Amazon store, in and of itself, doesn't constitute piracy. I think there has been some confusion between the Amazon store and Google Play. Google Play has specific permissions for devices in their TOS which do not include BB10 so the apps there, regardless of format/packaging/paid for or not are being pirated if that is the source and they are ending up on a BB10 device. The issue that remains with the Amazon store is that to use it today on a BB10 device requires a leaked OS which BBRY has taken a very public (non supportive) stance on. Only way to resolve that is to see what this all looks like when the official release is let loose into the wild.

Were I a Dev, I think I would be very concerened with Amazon's TOS but in order to post your app in their store you have to agree to their TOS so that's a choice for each individual Dev to make.
    Amazon has some wild terms LOL. It (Amazon) didn't look too good with the Pocket Casts fiasco, and I know that the TOS put off some devs.

The biggest complaint seems to be sitting on updates. It causes issues for the dev who has to explain to paying customers why the Amazon version of apps is behind the Google Play version.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-26-13 01:19 PM
    I installed, and then deleted, the Amazon App Store App and now can't reinstall it. I think it's because something is left behind. How do I clear the previous installation??
    Go to device monitor in settings (just search for it, it's quicker) storage on the right, find the app in the list below, click on it, and trash can. That will remove it entirely. Some apps, for some reason, if they aren't working, do this and reinstall and they will work.

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    11-26-13 02:09 PM
    Been using the Amazon and 1mobile app. Really digging the 1mobile app. Find the amazon app to feel like yesterday's tech. Oh well have it and it works great!

I'm even more impressed with the Android runtime than I was prior. Way to go blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 02:29 PM
    Amazon has some wild terms LOL. It (Amazon) didn't look too good with the Pocket Casts fiasco, and I know that the TOS put off some devs.

The biggest complaint seems to be sitting on updates. It causes issues for the dev who has to explain to paying customers why the Amazon version of apps is behind the Google Play version.
    Good lord what a mess!

Yeah. This is bbry's salvation, right here.

Please.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-26-13 11:43 PM
1,792 ... 6768697071 ...