it is true . 50 % of Android devices aren't even on 4.0 . we are on 4.2.2
    Old news brah.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/android_in_o...-news-7115.php

By the way, "we" aren't running the whole Android...
    Sooo....
    How should I say this politely....
    No, "we" can't run more Android apps than Android phones.

I seriously think that someone in here tries to pull my leg...

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny and m1a1mg like this.
    11-24-13 05:38 PM
    Old news brah.
    Android in October 2013: Jelly Bean crosses the 50% mark - GSMArena.com news

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/1...marena_001.jpg

Sooo....

Posted via CB10
    Currently we have compatibility issues. When I download bars from some sites they don't work on my device. However when I download from another Site they do work and vice versa. This occurs on Android devices as well from what kind have gathered from friends and on the net
    11-24-13 05:42 PM
    Old news brah.

Sooo....

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 10 is currently on Android 4.2.2 within the runtime. Only 14.8% of Android devices according to the graphic you are suggesting are at 4.2.x. That's pretty shocking that we have such a high version of 4.2.2 contained within the runtime
    11-24-13 05:47 PM
    I just find it shocking that BB10 supports Android 4.2.2. The shocking part is that BlackBerry 10 can support more Android apps than the vast majority of Android devices.

This a tough pill to swallow. It's the truth though.

Soon we will support and run Android apps better than nearly all Android devices. Testament to the power of BB10

Posted via CB10
    So a BB10 device that only has the Dalvik VM runs Android apps better than a Nexus 5 that runs the full Android OS?
    Interesting...

Geeks United C00122408
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-24-13 05:47 PM
    Old news brah.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/android_in_o...-news-7115.php

Sooo....

Posted via CB10
    Can I pull your other leg? Just to ensure they're equal length.
    There's nothing worse than legs of unequal length...

Geeks United C00122408
    11-24-13 05:49 PM
    Old news brah.

V t
    Sooo....

I seriously think that someone in here tries to pull m y leg...

Posted via CB10
    These are figures of official Android devices. When including forked devices, unofficial Android devices ( which there are plenty ). That figure goes back down to 50% (under os version 4.0) and that's what it is. I wouldnt be surprised if tbat figure is actually higher. (greater than 50% of devices under 4.0)
    11-24-13 05:52 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is currently on Android 4.2.2 within the runtime. Only 14.8% of Android devices according to the graphic you are suggesting are at 4.2.x. That's pretty shocking that we have such a high version of 4.2.2 contained within the runtime
    We could have android 6.0, doesn't change the fact a lot of apps just plain don't work.
    11-24-13 07:26 PM
    We could have android 6.0, doesn't change the fact a lot of apps just plain don't work.
    We need to get that message across to blackberry

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 07:56 PM
    We need to get that message across to blackberry

Posted via CB10
    They probably don't get the message because of all the shareholders writing to them, and in this thread, talking about how amazingly advanced and technologically amazing the android runtime on bb10 is, despite a few minor setbacks, like not actually running the apps.

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey, h20work and m1a1mg like this.
    11-25-13 03:03 AM
    Well, this morning I found out how BlackBerry engineers were able to have Android apps running under BB10...

It's a hack and not a pretty one at that.

Article here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._than_android/

I am correct, BB10 is not binary compatible with Android.
    As Dalvik is Open Source, it explains why Google are testing ART.

Geeks United C00122408
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-25-13 06:52 AM
    Getting back to the original question posed by the OP, ...what's the next complaint?

While not specifically an inferiority claim, the new tactic is to accuse of us of "stealing" free software (as though that is possible) or, buying software to run on an Android virtual machine. Because that is somehow illegitimate.
    It is possible to steal software that is free. Though I'm not saying anyone is.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-25-13 07:41 AM
    Well, this morning I found out how BlackBerry engineers were able to have Android apps running under BB10...

It's a hack and not a pretty one at that.

Article here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._than_android/

I am correct, BB10 is not binary compatible with Android.
    As Dalvik is Open Source, it explains why Google are testing ART.

Geeks United C00122408
    Well hopefully BlackBerry get agreements in place to make this seamless to the user because side loading won't be embraced by consumers or business users. As for the ART, Google has created a hydra with Android and all the forks that it will likely continue long after Google moves onto something else.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 07:47 AM
    Well hopefully BlackBerry get agreements in place to make this seamless to the user because side loading won't be embraced by consumers or business users. As for the ART, Google has created a hydra with Android and all the forks that it will likely continue long after Google moves onto something else.

Posted via CB10
    Once more Android apps are officially in BlackBerry World, sideloading will be a distant memory.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-25-13 08:01 AM
    Breaking news! Exclusive! Online IT outfit praises BlackBerry engineers.

Revealed: The amazing BlackBerry wizardry that created its 'better Android than Android' • The Register
    11-25-13 08:06 AM
    Breaking news! Exclusive! Online IT outfit praises BlackBerry engineers.

Revealed: The amazing BlackBerry wizardry that created its 'better Android than Android' • The Register
    I already posted this, scroll up ^

The Register don't actually praise the BlackBerry engineers, though they do call it an ambitious "hack"
    It's a brute force hack and not clever. BSD has been doing this for years. Linux/MIPS was also able to do this with some SGI IRIX binaries, although it could only emulate a subset of IRIX 5.x syscalls.

Given that Google have taken tiny steps into phone production and that they have many partners to keep sweet, I reckon that they'll make a point of breaking things for Blackberry on the next release of Android.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-25-13 09:19 AM
    I already posted this, scroll up ^

The Register don't actually praise the BlackBerry engineers, though they do call it an ambitious "hack"
    It's a brute force hack and not clever. BSD has been doing this for years. Linux/MIPS was also able to do this with some SGI IRIX binaries, although it could only emulate a subset of IRIX 5.x syscalls.

Given that Google have taken tiny steps into phone production and that they have many partners to keep sweet, I reckon that they'll make a point of breaking things for Blackberry on the next release of Android.

Geeks United C00122408
    Agreed, though I hope that does not happen for a while, considering what BlackBerry is leveraging, in hopes of dev uptake.

Reading that article, well I am surprised what work went into this. Good on BlackBerry for managing this ;-)

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 09:33 AM
    Agreed, though I hope that does not happen for a while, considering what BlackBerry is leveraging, in hopes of dev uptake.

Reading that article, well I am surprised what work went into this. Good on BlackBerry for managing this ;-)

Posted via CB10
    One could read between the lines about the state of native BB dev given that BlackBerry chose to go this laborious route. And I must say, this is such a catch-22. If Android apps run well I can't see many devs putting in any more effort for native apps. But I also don't see this as more than short term, given the resources and commitment needed to keep compatible with whatever Google decides to do. All those indicators suggest little long-term positives. This is a very difficult position for BlackBerry to be in.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-25-13 09:47 AM
    One could read between the lines about the state of native BB dev given that BlackBerry chose to go this laborious route. And I must say, this is such a catch-22. If Android apps run well I can't see many devs putting in any more effort for native apps. But I also don't see this as more than short term, given the resources and commitment needed to keep compatible with whatever Google decides to do. All those indicators suggest little long-term positives. This is a very difficult position for BlackBerry to be in.
    Agreed.

Ultimately, if bb10 can run native android as well as an android device - well hybridisation may be a way forward. I don't know. As you say - this is a very difficult position to be in.

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-25-13 09:52 AM
    Seamless Android integration threatens repeat of 1990s PC wars.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11...stealth_steed/

Geeks United C00122408
    11-25-13 09:54 AM
    Seamless Android integration threatens repeat of 1990s PC wars.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11...stealth_steed/

Geeks United C00122408
    Interesting article. And yes, I too am perturbed by the lack of security vetting, for third party apps. But then the choice is yours, as to whether one sideloads or not. Hmmmmm...

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 10:00 AM
    I've asked this before and haven't gotten answer, so here goes again.

If I load Candy Crush for Android onto my BB10 device, can I go to the store to buy add ons?
    11-25-13 10:08 AM

Geeks United C00122408
    They already have a new runtime in the works, ART, that's shown up in Kit Kat. Eventually I'm guessing they will want to transition away from Dalvik.
    11-25-13 10:14 AM
    I've asked this before and haven't gotten answer, so here goes again.

If I load Candy Crush for Android onto my BB10 device, can I go to the store to buy add ons?
    No you cannot, just like other android phones without Google services. You will have to play the game in hard mode and beat it without wasting your money lol

Sent from my Z30
    11-25-13 10:20 AM
    Once more Android apps are officially in BlackBerry World, sideloading will be a distant memory.

Geeks United C00122408
    Well BB10 has had porting ability of Android apps before and it hasn't helped much and the quality of what has shown up is lacking IMHO. Also will BlackBerry be allowing APK directly in App World? Broad statements and assumptions being made all over the forum when no one knows if this is the solution for sure.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 10:34 AM
    So it looks as though blackberry is supporting our use of apk's come launch of official 10.2.1. This is huge.

The app gap will close over night. It is what it is. The app gap will be officialy gone

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:13 AM
1,792 ... 6566676869 ...