If Amazon was to support this. How would this be pirating. Devs are bound to the terms and conditions set by the app store they submit too.

Posted via CB10
    If amazon supported this I'd call it legal.
    If my uncle had breasts I'd call him my aunt.
    Both are equally likely to happen.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:16 AM
    If Amazon was to support this. How would this be pirating. Devs are bound to the terms and conditions set by the app store they submit too.

An app submitted to an app store becomes legal property of that app store due to the terms and agreements the dev has agreed to.
    Posted via CB10
    So, being that there isn't an agreement in place, is BBRY correct in calling consumer use piracy?

Make a stand.
    11-20-13 10:17 AM
    We are discussing intellectual property which, just like artwork, is covered under copyright. Do you also make the argument that it's ok to download a movie that you wouldn't have gone to see in the theaters because you wouldn't have gone to see it anyway so they aren't losing any money?
    We are discussing apps not art work.

An app submitted to an app store becomes legal property of that app store due to the terms and agreements the dev has agreed to.

If the given app store gives blessing to BlackBerry than it is totally permissible
    11-20-13 10:18 AM
    So, being that there isn't an agreement in place, is BBRY correct in calling consumer use piracy?

Make a stand.
    Where it is legally permissible it is completely fine. As my original post stated
    11-20-13 10:19 AM

Make a stand.
    It is premature to make any such claim as we are unaware of any agreements or potential agreements.
    11-20-13 10:20 AM
    If amazon supported this I'd call it legal.
    If my uncle had breasts I'd call him my aunt.
    Both are equally likely to happen.

Posted via CB10
    With enough money....

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:21 AM
    It is premature to make any such claim as we are unaware of any agreements or potential agreements.
    KW, Muhammed Ali would bow to your technique... LOL.

As it is, right now, BBRY says this is piracy, so I think we can safely state there is NO agreement in place. Shouldn't the apk scraping be put on hold then?
    11-20-13 10:26 AM
    Someone could lose their job for leaking it LOL.

As the the BB world turns...

Very informative thread.
    It's been many many... Many pages now but I had mentioned that fairly early on in the discussion and then just recently (after you posting this of course) and not to comment jack (too much) but I think it interesting the Gnomesane appears to be giving the opinion that because we are a small user base and there are so many other people doing it that it is somehow not an issue that BlackBerry users are pirating apps.. Let me know how that works out as a legal defence..
    11-20-13 10:31 AM
    KW, Muhammed Ali would bow to your technique... LOL.

As it is, right now, BBRY says this is piracy, so I think we can safely state there is NO agreement in place. Shouldn't the apk scraping be put on hold then?
    Just as on a pc when a user consumes content. One must use their moral, ethical and legal judgment.

To boldly call this piracy is lunacy. Where legally permitted this is fine.

An example of such is the use of a third party app store. A dev is committed to the terms of use and agreements placed by the hosting appstore.

If an app store supports BB10 than it is completely fine.

We have yet to receive a concrete answer from Amazon etc. I will reserve judgment until that time.
    11-20-13 10:32 AM
    If anything what allows such ease of access is BB10's mobile computing prowess.

We have the Android runtime due to Blackberries 100% open source commitment to devs on the development front.

We have apk access given the power and capabilities of the file manager.

This is just a testament to the power and capabilities of the bb10 platform.

With true mobile computing comes the freedom of choice to the user experience and how that user chooses to utilize that experience.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:38 AM
    This is the response I got

Hello,

At this time, Amazon Appstore is not available on Blackberry. I?m sorry for any inconvenience.

We understand that making Appstore available on Blackberry will make our website more user friendly and We appreciate your feedback.

I have forwarded the your feedback to the Appstore team, they'll surely consider it when we make future improvements.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Appstore. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
    Ansari

The thing is it is available on blackberry, it's a very canned answer. I think someone from cb should try to get a more official response from a more senior employee.

Sent from my Z30
    So then by this logic, I can download as many movies and songs as I want because they are available for my device. I don't ahve to worry about intellectual property or licences or anything like that.

Sweet! time to download me some movies!
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-20-13 10:41 AM
    The Z30 is available for sale. It allows for direct downloading of .apk files. Mere serendipity, of course.
    Z30 doesn't come with 10.2.1.1055 so... no.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-20-13 10:42 AM
    blackberry is working on engineering the best Android runtime in the market. When I looked at QNX job posting it clearly stated to engineers that BlackBerry wanted to develop," the best Android runtime on the market". This was an exact quote.

BlackBerry realizes that Android is an integral part of mobile moving forward.

What's limiting us now is having a cohesive and we'll integrated runtime that allows for seamless integration with BB10.

Major engineering feat to have integration with the hub, UX, invocation, continuity etc.

We are on the verge of some very impressive Android runtime capabilities. I an very impressed with where it is headed.

Posted via CB10
    I don't doubt that they're trying to make a great Android runtime. This appears to be their solution to get more apps on to their platform. But what does this have to do with the legality discussion we're having here?
    11-20-13 10:43 AM
    I'm sure BlackBerry legal department is all over the runtime.

Please give some examples of how the Android runtime is illegal. I would like to know.

Posted via CB10
    If it's legal then why is all of this not currently available to all BB10 devices?
    11-20-13 10:46 AM
    I don't doubt that they're trying to make a great Android runtime. This appears to be their solution to get more apps on to their platform. But what does this have to do with the legality discussion we're having here?
    What I stated pertains to the Op's original post.
    11-20-13 10:47 AM
    Just as on a pc when a user consumes content. One must use their moral, ethical and legal judgment.

An example of such is the use of a third party app store. A dev is committed to the terms of use and agreements placed by the hosting appstore.

We have yet to receive a concrete answer from Amazon etc. I will reserve judgment until that time.
    But BBRY says...

Never mind. Suffice to say that I don't think BBRY execs are lunatics.
    11-20-13 10:47 AM
    If anything what allows such ease of access is BB10's mobile computing prowess.

We have the Android runtime due to Blackberries 100% open source commitment to devs on the development front.

We have apk access given the power and capabilities of the file manager.

This is just a testament to the power and capabilities of the bb10 platform.

With true mobile computing comes the freedom of choice to the user experience and how that user chooses to utilize that experience.

Posted via CB10
    You cannot be serious.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny and bp3dots like this.
    11-20-13 10:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    That has been the point of the last 50 mumble pages of this thread.

If they support it then it will have the appropriate agreements in place but as it stands now, today, it is not supported, it is not available to most BB10 devices and to even attempt it requires you to violate several agreements and void your warranty so as I have said in previous posts, if the OS is released in it's current form when it is made official, then we can have an informed discussion about what the availability of those apps means to the consumers and the developers but right now that's a pretty big if.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    If it's legal then why is all of this not currently available to all BB10 devices?
    We don't have an official 10.2.1 release.

My take on the matter is that IMHO Amazon would give 100% support for BB10 . That of coursegoes by the response Playbookster received from Amazon.
    I don't pretend to know what BlackBerry is doing. But I can easily see why not. They really wanted their own app world to succeed. It didn't. Time for plan B.

"We are truly alone, the scars on your heart are yours to atone" (BBM#18)
    11-20-13 10:52 AM
    You cannot be serious.

Posted via CB10
    Well instead of jesting and condensending remarks. Eloborate on why my take was given a "you can not be serious "
    11-20-13 10:52 AM
    We are discussing apps not art work.

If the given app store gives blessing to BlackBerry than it is totally permissible
    they haven't given their blessing.
    It's nice to see that the argument is slowly transitioning from the app gap is closed to well it's basically closed to well it'll all be ok some time to when they make it all legal it will be legal.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-20-13 10:53 AM
    And why haven't BBRY folks been crowing from the rooftops about it? Why would they call it piracy?

LOL.

Look, I know minds are made up, but here's why h20 (one of the Usual Suspects) gets my respect. No dancing around what it is.

Now... let's all enjoy app parity!
    11-20-13 10:54 AM
    We don't have an official 10.2.1 release.

My take on the matter is that IMHO Amazon would give 100% support for BB10 . That of course you should by the response Playbookster received from Amazon.
    Maybe you should read the message again, it clearly says amazon does not support the use of their app store on bb10.
    Because bb10 devices are not android devices.
    Because virtual oses are always more buggy than running the Os properly.
    And because it's too much of a headache for amazon to troubleshoot it all when things go wrong.

Come on, you cannot be serious, you must be winding people up if your last few posts weren't someone else using your mobile device to post on here and make you look silly.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:54 AM

ok, lets ignore the original argument in its ever shifting form then. What is your stance on installing a leaked OS on your device?
    11-20-13 10:55 AM
1,792 ... 5253545556 ...