Perhaps CB should reach out to BOTH Alec Saunders (for a clear comment that BlackBerry wants consumers to load apk's from third party stores - and that the facility is not just for dev testing) AND to stores (like Amazon) confirming their stance...

Hard work ahead!

Posted via CB10
    I completely second that!
    It would be a very important service for the community right now.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 08:18 AM
    Absolutely.

If the confusion on this forum is anything to go by - well one can only imagine the thought process, as found in the minds of the consumer.

BlackBerry really needs to focus and sharpen their perceived appearance.

Perception is key - or else watch the sales go by!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-20-13 08:31 AM
    It ain't about what your do; it's about contravening the justification group-think.

Careful... you might get asked why you're here too. Just keep quiet and "monetize" for the developers on your Android BB10 device and enjoy the closed app gap.
    Silly me, I'll be vewy quiet from now on.

Going back to my BlackBerry Q10 which runs the full Android OS with the explicit permission of Amazon.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-20-13 08:53 AM
    Perhaps CB should reach out to BOTH Alec Saunders (for a clear comment that BlackBerry wants consumers to load apk's from third party stores - and that the facility is not just for dev testing) AND to stores (like Amazon) confirming their stance...

Hard work ahead!

Posted via CB10
    I'll vote for that. It's time for unimpeachable clarity.

Geeks United C00122408
    MarsupilamiX and paper_monkey like this.
    11-20-13 08:54 AM
    I'll vote for that. It's time for unimpeachable clarity.

Geeks United C00122408
    We would need to forward that request to the blog owners though.
    Ideas?

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-20-13 08:59 AM
    We would need to forward that request to the blog owners though.
    Ideas?

Posted via CB10
    Well, CrackBerry monitor this... I'm sure if they were interested, they'd run something.

Geeks United C00122408
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-20-13 09:05 AM

Hard work ahead!

Posted via CB10
    Actually, Alec or Marty or somebody at BBRY should be reaching out to Amazon and other third-party Android app stores. It's obvious they haven't. Yet they release a device capable of direct downloading Android apps from . . . where? Frankly, it seems pretty shifty. The Pirates of Waterloo!
    11-20-13 09:18 AM
    I'm sure if Amazon had their way they would love to be supported by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 09:19 AM
    Actually, Alec or Marty or somebody at BBRY should be reaching out to Amazon and other third-party Android app stores. It's obvious they haven't. Yet they release a device capable of direct downloading Android apps from . . . where? Frankly, it seems pretty shifty. The Pirates of Waterloo!
    No one is aware of the business model or plan behind this. To call it shady is premature.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    11-20-13 09:20 AM
    I understand that, but expect the response to come from a low tier CS representative rather than from a person/department that has the authority and expertise to answer your question.

I was wondering if you could follow up and refer to the ToS and specifically to the line that says:

"Apps can be used only on mobile devices that use the Android platform"
    See my post where developers must agree to let their apps be used on non-Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 09:22 AM
    No one is aware of the business model or plan behind this. To call it shady is premature.

Posted via CB10
    To call it less than shady is misguided.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-20-13 09:23 AM
    To call it less than shady is misguided.

Geeks United C00122408
    Why is it shady? No one is even aware of whether there are current agreements being forged between blackberry and other companies?

BlackBerry has a legal Android runtime and has every rite to monetize it.

It's a little to early to judge the parameters of a leaked os. I will reserve any judgement until there is an official release or agreements in place.

Posted via CB10
    playbookster and canuckvoip like this.
    11-20-13 09:25 AM
    BlackBerry needs to tell the community what the plan is! With device sales in the crapper anyway, it's not like they are going to hurt something that doesn't exist. It's time to lay out the road map and let customers who have been loyal decide if the platform is heading in the right or wrong direction and either stay or move on!

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 09:38 AM
    BlackBerry needs to tell the community what the plan is! With device sales in the crapper anyway, it's not like they are going to hurt something that doesn't exist. It's time to lay out the road map and let customers who have been loyal decide if the platform is heading in the right or wrong direction and either stay or move on!

Posted via CB10
    We are in the midst of transitioning a new ceo. This is why some clarity is lacking. I'm more than sure we will get a revised road map in the coming weeks.

To early for Chen to make any concrete statements.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 09:42 AM
    Why is it shady? No one is even aware of whether there are current agreements being forged between blackberry and other companies?

BlackBerry has a legal Android runtime and has every rite to monetize it.

It's a little to early to judge the parameters of a leaked os. I will reserve any judgement until there is an official release or agreements in place.

Posted via CB10
    How do you know the runtime is legal? Just because it's included in BB10 doesn't make it automatically legal.

I've bolded the important part of your quote.

Geeks United C00122408
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-20-13 09:42 AM
    How do you know the runtime is legal? Just because it's included in BB10 doesn't make it automatically legal.

I've bolded the important part of your quote.

Geeks United C00122408
    I'm sure BlackBerry legal department is all over the runtime.

Please give some examples of how the Android runtime is illegal. I would like to know.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 09:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 is available for sale. It allows for direct downloading of .apk files. Mere serendipity, of course.
    11-20-13 09:46 AM
    We are in the midst of transitioning a new ceo. This is why some clarity is lacking. I'm more than sure we will get a revised road map in the coming weeks.

To early for Chen to make any concrete statements.

Posted via CB10
    Clarity has been lacking since Mike and Jim were in Charge. Thorsten just used nebulous buzzwords to describe the direction that told people nothing. Chen said loyalty is a two way street so it is time for BlackBerry to honor their part of the loyalty equation.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 09:58 AM
    I'm sure BlackBerry legal department is all over the runtime.

Please give some examples of how the Android runtime is illegal. I would like to know.

Posted via CB10
    The runtime itself is neither legal or illegal. It's just a tool. As with many things in life, it's what you chose to do with it...
    h20work and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-20-13 10:00 AM
    Clarity has been lacking since Mike and Jim were in Charge. Thorsten just used nebulous buzzwords to describe the direction that told people nothing. Chen said loyalty is a two way street so it is time for BlackBerry to honor their part of the loyalty equation.

Posted via CB10
    I am aware of this. However we are in the midst of a grey area currently with the transition of a new ceo.

Yesterday is the past. I am concerned where we are Now and moving forward.

Beating a dead horse with the past as that is very evident.

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    11-20-13 10:00 AM
    The runtime itself is neither legal or illegal. It's just a tool. As with many things in life, it's what you chose to do with it...
    blackberry is working on engineering the best Android runtime in the market. When I looked at QNX job posting it clearly stated to engineers that BlackBerry wanted to develop," the best Android runtime on the market". This was an exact quote.

BlackBerry realizes that Android is an integral part of mobile moving forward.

What's limiting us now is having a cohesive and we'll integrated runtime that allows for seamless integration with BB10.

Major engineering feat to have integration with the hub, UX, invocation, continuity etc.

We are on the verge of some very impressive Android runtime capabilities. I an very impressed with where it is headed.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:06 AM
    Apps placed on a free and open market are up for grabs to consumers.

Some people can't accept this. This isn't piracy. Where legally permitted

Posted via CB10
    You are legally permitted to use them within the framework of the TOS of the store, the EULA for the app and the prevailing copyright legislation. I would strongly suggest you rethink this argument in the context of this thread though, as to do so right now requires you to illegally install an OS onto your device which voids your warranty and violates sundry agreements between yourself and your carrier and yourself and BlackBerry so before even looking at the legality of the apps, to get them on your phone is illegal (but I digress)

If you are using an app on a platform other than what it was intended for by the Dev and/or app store provider you are pirating the app. full stop.
    h20work and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-20-13 10:07 AM
    I am aware of this. However we are in the midst of a grey area currently with the transition of a new ceo.

Yesterday is the past. I am concerned where we are Now and moving forward.

Beating a dead horse with the past, as that is very evident we need clarity .

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:07 AM
    You are legally permitted to use them within the framework of the TOS of the store, the EULA for the app and the prevailing copyright legislation. I would strongly suggest you rethink this argument in the context of this thread though, as to do so right now requires you to illegally install an OS onto your device which voids your warranty and violates sundry agreements between yourself and your carrier and yourself and BlackBerry so before even looking at the legality of the apps, to get them on your phone is illegal (but I digress)

If you are using an app on a platform other than what it was intended for by the Dev and/or app store provider you are pirating the app. full stop.
    If Amazon was to support this. How would this be pirating. Devs are bound to the terms and conditions set by the app store they submit too.

An app submitted to an app store becomes legal property of that app store due to the terms and agreements the dev has agreed to.
    Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:09 AM
    I didn't realize we were discussing art work.

Posted via CB10
    We are discussing intellectual property which, just like artwork, is covered under copyright. Do you also make the argument that it's ok to download a movie that you wouldn't have gone to see in the theaters because you wouldn't have gone to see it anyway so they aren't losing any money?
    11-20-13 10:11 AM
1,792 ... 5152535455 ...