If you have missed it, some users that you try to describe with this post, have at least reached out to Amazon with the goal of getting an official response from the owner of the app store some in here proclaimed to recognise BB10 phones as Android devices and that this may entitle us to some sort of support when we use their app store.

This assertion has completely been busted though.
    You trying to insult some members won't change that truth...

Posted via CB10
    Although I was early in stating that a lack of support is no surprise, that's not what I'm referring to. And... I'm not insulting anyone. I just find it funny to see the dancing around with glee over such an obvious result. This is of course is the way it is today. It HAS to be that way today.
    Perhaps there will be a statement made (from a source as opposed to a third party) that the Amazon TOS disallows the download/use of an app from their store for use on a BB10 device, perhaps not. None of us know that today/yet. I have no problem being wrong, no biggie if that happens. I fully expected there to be no support today. I don't care but many would. That's today.
    We'll all see about tomorrow/later. And we're all allowed an opinion, without being... um... difficult.
    :>)
    h20work and missing_K-W like this.
    11-19-13 11:00 PM
    A few welcome surprises like being able to resize picture attachments are bringing back what kept me loyal to BlackBerry the last 10 years.

I doubt this os will ever see the light of of days outside the forums or the dev's it was meant for though. Way too many bugs and glitches
    I just installed 10.2.1 this week and I'm sure it will release. The beta I'm using is very stable, works well actually.

Beyond that is 10.3. I'm guessing they're reserving the dot incremental release for something major next year. That's the OS upgrade that I'm truly curious about, and hopefully it will release. I'm guessing it will now that BlackBerry has another billion in covertible debt, and also another possible billion in tax write offs from the Canadian government.
    southlander likes this.
    11-19-13 11:00 PM
    One discussion point that came up was the idea that offering the ability to sideload raw apks would encourage developers to bring apps to platform store.

How will this occur?
    11-19-13 11:02 PM
    One discussion point that came up was the idea that offering the ability to sideload raw apks would encourage developers to bring apps to platform store.

How will this occur?
    I don't know... I've run that movie in my mind and seen it go both ways... Kind of like BBMx...
    11-19-13 11:10 PM

How will this occur?
    How do you not understand this? It's so simple!

Do nothing and your app may work, takes zero effort.

Try your app and it works, then sit down and port it, submit it to bbw, and wait till/if it gets approved.

It's all about profits!

11-19-13 11:14 PM
    I just installed 10.2.1 this week and I'm sure it will release. The beta I'm using is very stable, works well actually.

Beyond that is 10.3. I'm guessing they're reserving the dot incremental release for something major next year. That's the OS upgrade that I'm truly curious about, and hopefully it will release. I'm guessing it will now that BlackBerry has another billion in covertible debt, and also another possible billion in tax write offs from the Canadian government.
    I'm not saying 10.2.1 won't release, just not this version. At least I seriously hope not
    11-19-13 11:16 PM
    I don't know... I've run that movie in my mind and seen it go both ways... Kind of like BBMx...
    I'm somewhat ambivalent... I think success is linked to an agreement, and I don't like that power is in the hands of the other party (in my view).
    11-19-13 11:17 PM
    The app needs an update. But yesterday already...
    No PMs, no polls, no ignoring and I am sure lots of other stuff is missing too.

Posted via CB10
    Yea well Markus is on it I hope.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 11:26 PM
    So it isn't officially supported.
    Wow, what a surprise....
    I hope you get a follow up Email from the app store team.

Can we consider the myth of Amazon counting BB10 devices as phones being part of the Android brigade as busted now?

Posted via CB10
    Not particularly. I didn't see the original letter sent to them, so I wonder about the nature of the "complaint" issued.

The rep responded that the device isn't supported, and course it wouldn't be in its current release form; 10.2.0 doesn't support direct Android installation.

The more important direct question may be: "you don't support my device specifically, but does running apps from your store violate your TOS?"
    canuckvoip likes this.
    11-19-13 11:37 PM
    Uh why did you cut off the end of my quote which in a roundabout way said the same thing you just did

Posted via CB10(BBM#22) on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    Huh? I didn't cut off your quote (?).

The way I read your post, you're saying that if all this sideloading or APK loading wasn't legal, then BlackBerry wouldn't have implemented the Android runtime since their lawyers would've looked into the legality of it first. What I was trying to say was, people are jumping the gun here, assuming that the new runtime is intended by BlackBerry to allow for easier user direct APK loading, like many are doing now.

We don't know what shape the actual release versions of 10.2.1 is going to look like. It could have a re-locked runtime. Or perhaps they will manage to cook up a deal with a 3rd party Android app store. We don't have an official stance, so it's premature to assume everything is legal just because we see the runtime in it's current form.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    11-19-13 11:38 PM
    Not particularly. I didn't see the original letter sent to them, so I wonder about the nature of the "complaint" issued.

The rep responded that the device isn't supported, and course it wouldn't be in its current release form; 10.2.0 doesn't support direct Android installation.

The more important direct question may be: "you don't support my device specifically, but does running apps from your store violate your TOS?"
    Exactly sir what I have been saying.
    11-19-13 11:44 PM

The original letter is two pages back and it does specifically address the ToS and whether it is permissible to run the apps.

But you may be right. Since 10.2.0 is not supported and there is no official statement/agreement between Amazon (or any other store) and BBRY as of yet, the app gap is NOT closed.
    11-20-13 12:12 AM
    This is the response I got

Hello,

At this time, Amazon Appstore is not available on Blackberry. I?m sorry for any inconvenience.

We understand that making Appstore available on Blackberry will make our website more user friendly and We appreciate your feedback.

I have forwarded the your feedback to the Appstore team, they'll surely consider it when we make future improvements.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Appstore. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
    Ansari

The thing is it is available on blackberry, it's a very canned answer. I think someone from cb should try to get a more official response from a more senior employee.

Sent from my Z30
    11-20-13 12:22 AM
    This is the response I got

Hello,

At this time, Amazon Appstore is not available on Blackberry. I?m sorry for any inconvenience.

We understand that making Appstore available on Blackberry will make our website more user friendly and We appreciate your feedback.

I have forwarded the your feedback to the Appstore team, they'll surely consider it when we make future improvements.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Appstore. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
    Ansari

The thing is it is available on blackberry, it's a very canned answer. I think someone from cb should try to get a more official response from a more senior employee.

Sent from my Z30
    Thanks man,
    Expected answer isn't it? It's too early in the game. We shall see what comes from this. For anyone to definitively draw a hard conclusion from this type of response is irresponsible.
    It's just inconclusive...
    11-20-13 12:31 AM
    Wow! This thread is still going? My next complain is that there are way too many complainers. Lol.
    They should really try to get this 10.2.1 launch sooner. Like say Christmas. I'm really curious to try how well these android apk runs but i don't wanna install the leak.

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    11-20-13 12:44 AM
    Wow! This thread is still going? My next complain is that there are way too many complainers. Lol.
    They should really try to get this 10.2.1 launch sooner. Like say Christmas. I'm really curious to try how well these android apk runs but i don't wanna install the leak.

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    They don't all work. It's a bit of hit or miss. But then it's extremely easy to install apps and try them out.

Hopefully they can make the installing if Apks much more reliable. They can really get some good results if it pans out
    "We are truly alone, the scars on your heart are yours to atone" (BBM#18)
    canuckvoip likes this.
    11-20-13 12:53 AM
    I emailed amazon to ask whether it's okay I downloaded their appstore onto my z30. I wonder what they will say, or if they say anything at all.
    It will be interesting to read their response, if you get one. Who did you send the email to, their legal department dealing with TOS issues?

I'll just point out that not receiving an answer from Amazon to your email doesn't (legally) equate to giving their consent to their appstore being used on a BB device. I'm not saying that you personally would assume that silence equals assent, but I'm sure there are many here who would.

EDIT: (After reading the, seemed like dozens!, of intervening pages).

What I've seen so far are canned responses from a CS Rep... which doesn't cut it, for me at least. A formal response from Amazon legal dept to Bekkay's email, in which he specifically refers to the TOS issues, would be excellent.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 11-20-13 at 01:40 AM.
    11-20-13 01:06 AM
    I spit out my drink when kw mentioned n4bb

"I love bb, do you?"
    "Yes, of course I do!"
    "Other people are too stupid to understand bb10!"
    "Omg, yes! I hate crackberry"
    "Brb need go troll there"

What a waste of bandwidth
    You've just encapsulated 99.9997% of the convos there.

HI GUYS!!!!!!

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    11-20-13 03:13 AM
    Bump!

Trolls, keep using this thread only please.
    11-20-13 03:21 AM
    Some of us were just surprised that you don't own a BB10 device Yet post so much in the BlackBerry forums. Figured you would at least support the platform. That's why it was shocking.

Posted via CB10
    You have to own a BlackBerry device to post on CrackBerry? Really?

Do you tell the iPhone owners to post on iMore too? Ever heard of freedom of choice?

Geeks United C00122408
    kbz1960 and bekkay like this.
    11-20-13 05:11 AM
    NP. For the record, I'm surprised that they wouldn't support any user regardless of platform. Kindle is available on BB10, so why they wouldn't support side loading BB10 users is a bit of a mystery to me.

Whatever. I like BlackBerry, and I like Amazon so I'm good either way. Cheers brother.
    Is Kindle available officially in BlackBerry World? With Amazon's blessing?
    Did BlackBerry just pop it in there without asking Amazon?

Geeks United C00122408
    bekkay likes this.
    11-20-13 05:20 AM
    Absolutely. And same for all the 'piracy' of Android apps, etc. We're all hypocrites, I hate all this 'holier than thou' talk!
    I'm not a hypocrite, I don't steal.

Geeks United C00122408
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-20-13 05:22 AM
    I'm not a hypocrite, I don't steal.

Geeks United C00122408
    It ain't about what your do; it's about contravening the justification group-think.

Careful... you might get asked why you're here too. Just keep quiet and "monetize" for the developers on your Android BB10 device and enjoy the closed app gap.
    11-20-13 06:46 AM
    Lol I emailed Amazon last weekend about support for apps on BB10. I didn't post my results here because they sounded like canned answers, even though after the first reply I reiterated what I meant. I just don't think they understood. I'm like 99% sure that both times they thought I was referring to the app store officially being available for BlackBerry, not the ability to use the Android store on BB10 devices.
    bekkay likes this.
    11-20-13 07:00 AM
    Perhaps CB should reach out to BOTH Alec Saunders (for a clear comment that BlackBerry wants consumers to load apk's from third party stores - and that the facility is not just for dev testing) AND to stores (like Amazon) confirming their stance...

Hard work ahead!

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 08:10 AM
1,792 ... 5051525354 ...