You completely ignore that android and bb10 are simply built differently. The hub is a huge compromise on memory but otherwise you need to have email apps messaging apps open. 8 apps open at the same time was a design decision not necessarily a limitation. I'm sure BB10 can run fine on 1GB of ram but the hub would need to be cut.
    I thought you said:

And none of those dual core1.5ghz android phones run as fast it's equivalent on bb10
    SMH
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-19-13 12:33 PM
    Where's the contradiction.... lol...

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:34 PM
    Where's the contradiction.... lol...
    No contradiction, but you seemed to focus on a different issue - RAM management.

So was that a misconception?

I challenge you to go get an Android phone with comparable specs and put a an AOSP 4.3 or better 4.4 and report back.

I hope after that you will not throw blanket statements around.
    11-19-13 12:35 PM
    Heck, my 1 Ghz single-core Xperia Ray from 2011 runs faster and smoother than my Z10... and it only has 512MB of memory. Mind you, I'm using a Cyanogen mod with heavily tweaked settings. Regardless, Android was designed to be able to run on minimal resources, and that is especially so with the new Kitkat version of Android.
    bekkay and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-19-13 12:37 PM
    I just won't bother. Because it's pointless. I've seen how well android apps run on android.... so much that Google admits that dalvik needs to be rewritten....

Posted via CB10
    missing_K-W and bradu1 like this.
    11-19-13 12:38 PM
    I just won't bother. Because it's pointless. I've seen how well android apps run on android.... so much that Google admits that dalvik needs to be rewritten....
    Yeah, you won't bother testing. But you will bother to continue posting misinformation. Way to go.
    11-19-13 12:39 PM
    System running around 560- 580 mb of ram on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Good point - but that's 560-580 of 2gb!

That's ALL the nexus has!

And you're right - android runs with all the apps open. On that ram.

The hub is what it is. On android I just tend to let everything run - and the notification centre takes ram too.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    You probably haven't seen android apps running on a device whose version of Android was specially tuned for that hardware configuration, then. There is a *big* difference between stock Android and custom.
    11-19-13 12:42 PM
    You probably haven't seen android apps running on a device whose version of Android was specially tuned for that hardware configuration, then. There is a *big* difference between stock Android and custom.
    But he won't bother. He will continue posting nonsense.

In one post he will praise the half baked Dalvik implementation in BB10, but will totally bash it on Android.

Some arguments on this site are deprived of logic and consistency.
    bobauckland, JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    11-19-13 12:44 PM
    I'm in the uk and tend to buy, or be given, unlocked, carrier free devices. Even the awful touchwiz, on the gs4, is silky smooth, when bereft of carrier bloat.

But this is all a digression from the main discussion of the thread - the app gap.

I just want to see Alec Saunders stop with the double-talkin' and give a clear response:

"yes, BlackBerry condones the sideloading of apps, by our consumers, and no, sideloading is not just for devs - and we at BlackBerry understand that permission (for the use of the app) may not "always" be obtainable - but we're ok with that. Go get some apps!"

CB Kevin - can you please get that?

And thank you Tre Lawrence, for the tweet copy - that wasn't the answer!

when will the endless circling end!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-19-13 12:46 PM
    What's interesting is that people complain about apps for Android being of lesser quality than say their iOS counterparts. Now since we can load these Android apps on BlackBerries, this is looked at as narrowing the app gap? The beauty of the app ecosystem is generally that the apps are meant to be used with that ecosystem or nah? The fact remains these apps aren't native aka "Built for BlackBerry 10" apps. So now we have apps that work good enough, huh? Whatever. I feel like several people who load these apps may be the same ones crying later because things aren't working as they should on the device...

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:47 PM
    I'm in the uk and tend to buy, or be given, unlocked, carrier free devices. Even the awful touchwiz, on the gs4, is silky smooth, when bereft of carrier bloat.

But this is all a digression from the main discussion of the thread - the app gap.

I just want to see Alec Saunders stop with the double-talkin' and give a clear response:

"yes, BlackBerry condones the sideloading of apps, by our consumers, and no, sideloading is not just for devs - and we at BlackBerry understand that permission (for the use of the app) may not "always" be obtainable - but we're ok with that. Go get some apps!"

And thank you Tre Lawrence, for the tweet copy - that wasn't the answer!

when will the endless circling end!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    I agree with that.
    An official statement would be very welcomed and would put an end to at least 3/4 of the things being discussed in here.

I also like the idea of asking Amazon how they define an Android device and if BlackBerry falls in that category for them.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:01 PM
    Although the sideload of apks improve things a lot for blackberry loyolists, by no means does it help improve blackberries app gap or perception until they can get these apps in the bb world or strike some deal with google and app developers. A couple thoughts:

1. although some apps run, there are very popular apps that are very buggy or don't run at all (Temple Run, Groupon, etc..etc..0
    2. how will regular users obtain apps and updates to thier apps? I don't want a third party store on my phone as I don't trust the .apks
    3. notifications are an issue, don't go to hub, some work, some don't. Can never be integrated as headless apps for the apps that require it.
    4. overall bugginess, regular joe shmo won't deal with crashes, slowness..etc..etcc

i ahve a z10 and am ok with looking for apks and dealing with the stuff, but regular people won't, therefore we are not anywhere near having the app gap totally gone. peace
    11-19-13 01:05 PM
    For the average consumer we now have 95% Android app functionality on the platform. Up from 60% prior. This in result will translate to the consumer having more options and more choice come the official release of 10.2.1.

How is this a dissolutional response?
    because if your list of 95% working apps includes apps with half functionality like line and the myriad of apps that close on splash screen, or appear bloated and the orientation is all messed up.... and like no apps have push notifications... then ur respnse is precisely what i was talking about,. it comes across as deluded, cos ur failing to believe that there r many many apps that just dont offer the experience that is expected of a normal user... especially ur standard consumer. of course.. lets wait for 10.2.1 official release to c if that changes nything.. anyway i doubt it.. but im realistic pessimist.. ciaoo
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-19-13 01:08 PM
    Does all the apps of android work prefectly fine ? How do you probably update this apps without google play ??

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    11-19-13 01:13 PM
    Does all the apps of android work prefectly fine ? How do you probably update this apps without google play ??

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    no, and dont know.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-19-13 01:15 PM
    The way the TOS are formulated, I rather doubt that a BB10 device qualifies.
    It doesn't run the full Android OS, and definitely isn't an Android device.
    I therefore doubt that Amazon approves.
    It's also doubtfull if a dev submitting his/her apps in the Amazon app store, had the intent of her/his app being used on a device running BB10.

I am glad that we at least agree that it definitely is a vialotion of the TOS when we talk about the Play Store.

Edit:
    Is there still any doubt that BB10 doesn't run the whole Android OS and that my BlackBerry isn't an Android device?

Posted via CB10
    Amazon doesn't care what device is connecting to the app store. Not the store we're talking about here, anyway, which exists as an alternate channel for Android used who can't get into Google Play.

Don't confuse this storefront with Amazon's OTHER app store, the one for the Kindle Fire devices.

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    11-19-13 01:23 PM

Heh-heh... As I'm a Playbook owner, you'll understand that top of my list of things that will never happen is:

1. Alec Saunders giving a clear and unambiguous answer to a direct question.

In this instance, Alec knows the lawyers are listening and, as a BB Executive, if he deviates from the line: "Sideloading (and now direct loading) is for Devs to test their own Apps. It's not a tool intended for ordinary consumers. Piracy of Apps is bad, M'Kay" ... the legal sky will fall.

Hence the double-talk.

EDIT: Upon reflection, I'd add another item to my list of things that will never happen:

2. BB and Google hold a joint press conference to announce official availability of Google Play on BB devices.

But, truly?, I could actually see that happening. If BB were to dump BB10 and put a full Android OS onto the phones with a BB10 skin (to keep the BB faithful happy), then there would be no legal or technical obstacle to access to Google Play, or any Android appstore.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 11-19-13 at 02:14 PM.
    11-19-13 01:57 PM
    You completely ignore that android and bb10 are simply built differently. The hub is a huge compromise on memory but otherwise you need to have email apps messaging apps open. 8 apps open at the same time was a design decision not necessarily a limitation. I'm sure BB10 can run fine on 1GB of ram but the hub would need to be cut.

Posted via CB10
    It was a design decision that limits the number of concurrently running apps therefore diminishing the usability of the device by curtailing the number of possible multitasking.

Therefore it is a design decision that is limiting to the user.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    11-19-13 02:07 PM
    Heck, my 1 Ghz single-core Xperia Ray from 2011 runs faster and smoother than my Z10... and it only has 512MB of memory. Mind you, I'm using a Cyanogen mod with heavily tweaked settings. Regardless, Android was designed to be able to run on minimal resources, and that is especially so with the new Kitkat version of Android.
    I think with Android it really depends on the device and the amount of time the manufacturer/programmer takes to optimize it for the device. If you look at the Nexus 4 which was quad core and 2 GB of RAM, well the Z10 performed faster than it in pretty much everything it did. So you have a much more capable Android device over your Xperia Ray (in terms of specs) performing slower than the Z10 which you are saying is slower than the Xperia Ray.

Even looking at the Nexus 7 (2012) which also was a quad core was pretty laggy compared to the Nexus 4 (though its clock speed wasn't as fast). And now the Nexus 7 (2013) is pretty decent for performance (since it uses the same processor as the N4).

And now I have a Nexus 5 which is quad core and while I don't think the clock speed is that much faster than the N4, it performs much faster than the N4 ever did. Now whether that is just due to the newer processor or KitKat, I don't know.

All this to say is that if anything specs really don't tell the story with Android as you can't use it as a baseline for performance since it can simply vary too much from device to device. On the plus side, due to the fact that you have a huge community behind Android, if you have at least a somewhat popular device, you can probably get it updated to more recent versions even after the manufacturer stops to support the phone.

But it still makes you wonder what is it with Android that it can be customized to have it run on lower spec'd devices (which is a good thing) and why it can perform poorly or worse on higher spec'd devices (which is a bad thing). My take is that manufacturers just aren't taking the time to customize it and that stock/non-polished Android isn't all that efficient so they throw resources at it to compensate (i.e. Nexus devices and maybe Samsung if they are throwing octa core processors now which are performing less than quad cores..). Maybe KitKat improves things... unfortunately, I can't test it on my N4 since I sold it.
    11-19-13 02:09 PM
    no, and dont know.
    Which are the reasons why this isn't a solution for the average consumer.
    But I guess I am just a delusional hater/troll who doesn't understand how great this leak is and why it is the third coming of the Christ, even though the Devil (Android his name) helped to resurrect him.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, amjass12, Cynycl and 3 others like this.
    11-19-13 02:18 PM
    Which are the reasons why this isn't a solution for the average consumer.
    But I guess I am just a delusional hater/troll who doesn't understand how great this leak is and why it is the third coming of the Christ, even though the Devil (Android his name) helped to resurrect him.

Posted via CB10
    You are not alone.
    11-19-13 02:34 PM
    This has been quite an interesting thread. I have learned a great deal about the lengths BlackBerry users will go through to load apps they considered stupid and useless a mere week past.

Strangely I won't go through those lengths.

Have fun folks!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, amjass12, yunvi and 7 others like this.
    11-19-13 02:42 PM
    This has been quite an interesting thread. I have learned a great deal about the lengths BlackBerry users will go through to load apps they considered stupid and useless a mere week past.

Strangely I won't go through those lengths.

Have fun folks!
    Indeed.

What I've taken from this thread is that BB10 OS and the Android OS are in fact the very same thing!

Who knew?
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-19-13 02:48 PM
    Yah that's got my eyes doing that cartoon swirling thing....

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 02:59 PM
1,792 ... 4344454647 ...