Tough to read the cb app these days

Sent from my Z30
    ok, well in a nut shell, the last 43 pages have discussed (at great length) why it is necesary to enter into the appropriate agreements with the app store providers (like Amazon) to ensure that the apps that are being downloaded are covered through the appropriate agreements to ensure their legal use on the BB10 platform. The sundry agreements that would follow from that down the chain would result in the appropriate protections for BBRY, the end users, the Devs and the app store providers as well as making sure that copyrights are not being violated.
    11-19-13 10:35 AM
    ok, well in a nut shell, the last 43 pages have discussed (at great length) why it is necesary to enter into the appropriate agreements with the app store providers (like Amazon) to ensure that the apps that are being downloaded are covered through the appropriate agreements to ensure their legal use on the BB10 platform. The sundry agreements that would follow from that down the chain would result in the appropriate protections for BBRY, the end users, the Devs and the app store providers as well as making sure that copyrights are not being violated.
    Ok. Let's hope they do that then, but are we also sure that we would actually need this agreement from amazon? Is it written anywhere? Just curious

Sent from my Z30
    11-19-13 10:37 AM
    Non-BB, non-WP, non-iOS, and so on.

Are we now distorting reality in the opposite direction and calling BB10 Android?

This is so surreal.
    No. I'm talking about the runtime... obviously... This is so surreal...
    :>)
    11-19-13 10:39 AM
    Did I *name* who I consider to be in the throes of fanaticism?

Here is THE most secure platform. And the answer to get the apps that NOBODY wanted is to go to a site whose owners are, at best, questionable.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    Is Amazon questionable?
    11-19-13 10:43 AM
    Is Amazon questionable?
    Until there is an agreement between BlackBerry and Amazon, the use of their apps itself is questionable and the use of their app store as well...
    BB10 IS NOT ANDROID and my Z10 IS NOT AN ANDROID DEVICE.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:47 AM
    Ok. Let's hope they do that then, but are we also sure that we would actually need this agreement from amazon? Is it written anywhere? Just curious

Sent from my Z30
    I'm not a lawyer but I don't see how BlackBerry can 'bake this in' to their OS without some form of agreement between themselved and the App store providers.
    11-19-13 10:49 AM
    I'm not a lawyer but I don't see how BlackBerry can 'bake this in' to their OS without some form of agreement between themselved and the App store providers.
    I don't believe amazon needed permission from Google to make their own appstore either.

Sent from my Z30
    11-19-13 10:50 AM
    I don't believe amazon needed permission from Google to make their own appstore either.

Sent from my Z30

No they didn't, because Amazon made their own Android version and asked devs to submit apps into their app store.

This has nothing to do with Google, but with the devs who agreed to publish their apps in the Amazon App Store.
    The use of this app store and the apps downloaded from the store, are subject to the TOS of Amazon and the dev.
    Google isn't needed there.

If BlackBerry wants to tap into the app catalogue Amazon has to offer, they need an agreement with Amazon.
    If BlackBerry wants to use the Play Store, they need an agreement with Google.
    If BlackBerry wants to publish APKs in BBW, they need an agreement with the dev of said application.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-19-13 10:56 AM
    Yup.....Bank of America and Wells Fargo and BB&T could not be bothered with BlackBerry.

Neither did the Navy Ferderal Credit Union or the Justice credit union. I can understand the little ones. But BoA????? And Wells Fargo?

And no....I'm not going to some website I don't know to grab an apk.

A "business tool" lacking apps for some rather large banks.

{here it comes.....use the web app}

Amazon has Wells Fargo, and Chase, but I didn't see BoA.
    11-19-13 10:59 AM
    For software purchases with defined owner, developer and support, no. I always get my software brought them.

For pirated software, such as using an app intended for one platform and use it on another without that being the expressed intent of the developer and receiving platform....no.

The day Instagram for Blackberry is sanctioned and released at Amazon AND BW, I will get it from them or from BW.

11-19-13 11:00 AM
    Amazon has Wells Fargo, and Chase, but I didn't see BoA.

BW does not.

11-19-13 11:02 AM
    To reflect on this and answer the original question....here it is.

Stop.

I haven't used a BB in a while, about 6 months because my Q10 was stolen at gun point along with my purse and car keys (I live in Detroit, worse things could have happened) but now I have an HTC One.

Let us pretend (or assume) that all the apps are there, do you want to know the difference why people don't want to go back? Because there is no need to go back. While the Q10 was a fun device, there really was no definitive advantage over he HTC One.

Build, the HTC is a strong phone.
    Accessories....BB has some, Androids have a lot more
    Power: The Q10 running android is like a mid/low tier android phone, why would I pay full price for that?
    Screen: The Z10 is okay, but falls flat compared to Androids, the Q10 has half the screen
    Typing: We have adapted to touch typing and touch typing has improved.

The only real advantages BB has is; battery life as well as blackberry protect.
    11-19-13 11:05 AM
    No. I'm talking about the runtime... obviously... This is so surreal...
    :>)
    What's surreal is you limited understanding of the differences between a runtime/VM and a platform. Duh.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-19-13 11:11 AM
    To reflect on this and answer the original question....here it is.

Stop.

I haven't used a BB in a while, about 6 months because my Q10 was stolen at gun point along with my purse and car keys (I live in Detroit, worse things could have happened) but now I have an HTC One.

Let us pretend (or assume) that all the apps are there, do you want to know the difference why people don't want to go back? Because there is no need to go back. While the Q10 was a fun device, there really was no definitive advantage over he HTC One.

Build, the HTC is a strong phone.
    Accessories....BB has some, Androids have a lot more
    Power: The Q10 running android is like a mid/low tier android phone, why would I pay full price for that?
    Screen: The Z10 is okay, but falls flat compared to Androids, the Q10 has half the screen
    Typing: We have adapted to touch typing and touch typing has improved.

The only real advantages BB has is; battery life as well as blackberry protect.
    I'm glad you are enjoying your new device, and I'm sorry about the circumstances that made you need to buy a new device.
    11-19-13 11:14 AM
    Tough to read the cb app these days

Sent from my Z30
    I totally understand your frustration and that you didn't expect so many people coming to "your thread" and to debate the (ridiculous) thesis found in the title.

But for the current discussion, this isn't a problem with CB and its userbase, but far more with your narrow understanding of thr current market paradigm.

In the days of Symbian S60 and Nokia being the worldwide leader of mobile phone sales, it was totally normal and necessary to sign the apps you want to use yourself.
    There was no app store, and it was a really nice gamble if the "program" (that's how it was called back then, before they started to use the shorter version of "application") you downloaded and signed, was even compatible with your device...

This was NORMAL and totally expected back in 2003. Nobody had an option to do it better.
    I exclusively used the S60/80 OS for a number of years as my main driver, and if anything, the whole sideloading thing discussed in here, reminds me of these days.

But today, I dare to say it.... Thanks to Apple (I don't like iOS, trust me, it hurts a little bit to say it) we have centralised structures where we can buy apps that are tested for their functionality and for maleware.
    Stores that couldn't make it easier to get what you want, if the sheer number of apps wouldn't be so big.

Then Google upped the ante and introduced the "15 minute return period", in which you can return any app, no matter how much it costs, if you aren't happy with it in the first 15 min of usage.
    Apple has yet to match this service.

And then we have BlackBerry...
    Well, as I said before, this "new" method of sideloading just reminds me of the old days, when I used Symbian S60/80. 10 years of time have passed though and the average consumer can either buy a phone with the apps he/she wants, or she/he can buy a BlackBerry...

(nearly 10 years ago, and I had all of them...)

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-19-13 11:40 AM

No they didn't, because Amazon made their own Android version and asked devs to submit apps into their app store.

This has nothing to do with Google, but with the devs who agreed to publish their apps in the Amazon App Store.
    The use of this app store and the apps downloaded from the store, are subject to the TOS of Amazon and the dev.
    Google isn't needed there.

If BlackBerry wants to tap into the app catalogue Amazon has to offer, they need an agreement with Amazon.
    If BlackBerry wants to use the Play Store, they need an agreement with Google.
    If BlackBerry wants to publish APKs in BBW, they need an agreement with the dev of said application.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry does not need an agreement with Amazon. They already fulfill Amazon's requirement of a valid Android implementation. Doesn't matter if it's running native or in a VM, it's a valid implementation. Downloading from the Amazon store is not a violation of their TOS, any more than it is for any other generic Android phone.

Google, OTOH, actually cares which devices connect to Play. There is a certification process and Google maintains a specific list of devices that qualify. BB10 devices are clearly not on that list. Downloading from Play--even for apps that install and work--IS a violation of Google's TOS. Just as it would be for any generic Android phone that isn't certified for Google Services.

Does this help?
    bradu1 likes this.
    11-19-13 11:42 AM
    BlackBerry does not need an agreement with Amazon. They already fulfill Amazon's requirement of a valid Android implementation. Doesn't matter if it's running native or in a VM, it's a valid implementation. Downloading from the Amazon store is not a violation of their TOS, any more than it is for any other generic Android phone.

Google, OTOH, actually cares which devices connect to Play. There is a certification process and Google maintains a specific list of devices that qualify. BB10 devices are clearly not on that list. Downloading from Play--even for apps that install and work--IS a violation of Google's TOS. Just as it would be for any generic Android phone that isn't certified for Google Services.

Does this help?
    The way the TOS are formulated, I rather doubt that a BB10 device qualifies.
    It doesn't run the full Android OS, and definitely isn't an Android device.
    I therefore doubt that Amazon approves.
    It's also doubtfull if a dev submitting his/her apps in the Amazon app store, had the intent of her/his app being used on a device running BB10.

I am glad that we at least agree that it definitely is a vialotion of the TOS when we talk about the Play Store.

Edit:
    Is there still any doubt that BB10 doesn't run the whole Android OS and that my BlackBerry isn't an Android device?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 11:46 AM
    And none of those dual core1.5ghz android phones run as fast it's equivalent on bb10

Posted via CB10
    That's completely irrelevant to the thread. I know my Z10 is faster then a lot of other phones, but what does that have to do with apps?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:01 PM
    And none of those dual core1.5ghz android phones run as fast it's equivalent on bb10
    False. A dual-core 1.5 GHz Android with 2 Gb of RAM and an AOSP ROM (4.3, 4.4) will be at least as fast as your Z10.

And that's given the Android phone will actually be running headless apps, is not limited to 8 concurrent apps, and have many other services/sensors running in the background.

The level of misconception on this site is simply unbelievable.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-19-13 12:16 PM
    Yes it's always a misconception. I'm sure.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:22 PM
    Yes it's always a misconception. I'm sure.

Posted via CB10
    Here. A phone with half the RAM running a skinned Android:

BB10 can't even run adequately on 1 Gb RAM.
    11-19-13 12:23 PM
    I just want to see Alec Saunders stop with the double-talkin' and give a clear response:

"yes, BlackBerry condones the sideloading of apps, by our consumers, and no, sideloading is not just for devs - and we at BlackBerry understand that permission (for the use of the app) may not "always" be obtainable - but we're ok with that. Go get some apps!"

CB Kevin - can you please get that?

And thank you Tre Lawrence, for the tweet copy - that wasn't the answer!

when will the endless circling end!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    bekkay and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-19-13 12:28 PM

BB10 can't even run adequately on 1 Gb RAM.
    I'm running KitKat aokp on my nexus s with 576mb of ram (shared with the gpu) and it's insane - so much better than 4.3. So smooth. Whatever they've done behind the scenes, re mem management and all that - it works.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay likes this.
    11-19-13 12:30 PM

BB10 can't even run adequately on 1 Gb Ram.
    You completely ignore that android and bb10 are simply built differently. The hub is a huge compromise on memory but otherwise you need to have email apps messaging apps open. 8 apps open at the same time was a design decision not necessarily a limitation. I'm sure BB10 can run fine on 1GB of ram but the hub would need to be cut.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:30 PM
    I'm running KitKat aokp on my nexus s with 576mb of ram (shared with the gpu) and it's insane - so much better than 4.3. So smooth. Whatever they've done behind the scenes, re mem management and all that - it works.

Posted via CB10
    System running around 560- 580 mb of ram on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 12:32 PM
1,792 ... 4243444546 ...