The app gap is closed for those that are willing to use a credible 3rd party sources such as Amazon app store.

For those that will only stick to BBW the app gap is closing. Many apps are being deployed daily.

The app gap is certainly closed depending on how a given consumer decides to utilize the BB10 mobile computing platform.
    Again, for the average user NOTHING has changed.
    NOTHING.
    Until there is an officially supported channel by BlackBerry where you can get your apps, NOTHING is different from before.

Why is that so hard to comprehend?
    Right now, SideloadingV2 is just an easier way to tinker with your device if you already were willing to do it anyway.
    For the guy walking into the carrier store and buying a new phone, EVERYTHING IS still the SAME as it was before.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:43 AM
    When do android or iOS users use their browser ? Do they literally have an app for every single little thing ?

Posted via CB10
    For everything that you can possibly have an app, they have one.
    Probably even for things you can't even imagine.

Data Structures. or Struggles is a pain in the ***. But yeah I think it was a good thing to be away from the forums for a month.

Posted via CB10
    That I believe you.
    I hope everything is going well for you and your studies!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-19-13 09:45 AM
    Again, for the average user NOTHING has changed.
    NOTHING.
    Until there is an officially supported channel by BlackBerry where you can get your apps, NOTHING is different from before.

Why is that so hard to comprehend?
    Right now, SideloadingV2 is just an easier way to tinker with your device if you already were willing to do it anyway.
    For the guy walking into the carrier store and buying a new phone, EVERYTHING IS still the SAME as it was before.

Posted via CB10
    prepare for a delusional responses. I learnt this the hard way yesterday ...

but to save people from replying to ur posts... your wrong, and the app gap is fast closing.
    yunvi likes this.
    11-19-13 09:45 AM
    If BlackBerry decides to support a third party store such as Amzon and a deal is struck. Devs are bound to the agreement they have signed with the given third party app store and that app stores business policy. If Amazon feels that Blackberry meets the requirements. How would this be piracy?
    This is what we have been saying all along. Without the appropriate agreements in place, loading the APKs on to your device may be in violation of any number of agreements and/or copyright.

This isn't even looking into what agreements may have been violated between Devs and the app stores by this happening (again, without proper agreements in place).
    Tre Lawrence and MarsupilamiX like this.
    11-19-13 09:49 AM
    When do android or iOS users use their browser ? Do they literally have an app for every single little thing ?

Posted via CB10
    For me, I use my browser for websites, even if that site has a corresponding app. For example, when I'm browsing Reddit, IMDB, and even Crackberry I'd rather use the full site than the app. There are a couple of exceptions though. For example, my gym's app. They have a mobile website, but the app has a lot more options and I like the way it's formatted better than the site. The same goes for TV Guide. I open the app and I get an easy interface rather than a clunky one on the website.

The majority of apps I use have features outside of a website, for example notifications and GPS.
    kbz1960 and Tre Lawrence like this.
    11-19-13 09:51 AM
    prepare for a delusional responses. I learnt this the hard way yesterday ...

but to save people from replying to ur posts... your wrong, and the app gap is fast closing.
    For the average consumer we now have 95% Android app functionality on the platform. Up from 60% prior. This in result will translate to the consumer having more options and more choice come the official release of 10.2.1.

How is this a dissolutional response?
    11-19-13 09:51 AM
    Because your bank didn't bother developing one?? Lol

Posted via CB10
    Yup.....Bank of America and Wells Fargo and BB&T could not be bothered with BlackBerry.

Neither did the Navy Ferderal Credit Union or the Justice credit union. I can understand the little ones. But BoA????? And Wells Fargo?

And no....I'm not going to some website I don't know to grab an apk.

A "business tool" lacking apps for some rather large banks.

{here it comes.....use the web app}

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    11-19-13 09:52 AM
    This is what we have been saying all along. Without the appropriate agreements in place, loading the APKs on to your device may be in violation of any number of agreements and/or copyright.

This isn't even looking into what agreements may have been violated between Devs and the app stores by this happening (again, without proper agreements in place).
    Which is probably why there are rumors of Google and BlackBerry discussing about this situation. wondering if anything comes out of it.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:52 AM
    For the average consumer we now have 95% Android app functionality on the platform. Up from 60% prior. This in result will translate to the consumer having more options and more choice come the official release of 10.2.1.

Let's see how this solution will translate in gains in marketshare. Because the average consumer is just dying to go through this process to get apps.

If it solves the problem we will see a HUGE turnaround.

***pulling up chair and grabbing coffee****

11-19-13 09:53 AM

Because the average consumer doesn't sideload.

I probably should do a catchy meme about it, so people will remember, but what is so hard to understand here???

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-19-13 09:55 AM
    I use my browser when an app doesn't give me any discernible advantage (for me). Wikipedia comes to mind; several apps, including an official one, but I use it so infrequently that I see no need to keep the app on my phone, even in a frozen state.

Same goes for Instantwatcher and Slickdeals. Syncable browser bookmarks fit my needs best. But yes, there is generally a native app for most things, which is cool.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-19-13 09:56 AM
    Let's see how this solution will translate in gains in marketshare. Because the average consumer is just dying to go through this process to get apps.

Exactly. That's the name of the game.
    11-19-13 09:58 AM

Please pass the sugar.
    11-19-13 10:00 AM
    Because the average consumer doesn't sideload.

I probably should do a catchy meme about it, so people will remember, but what is so hard to understand here???

Posted via CB10
    I am aware of this. However 95%+ Android app functionality will translate to a better app experience in BBW resulting in the app gap ever more so rapidly closing.
    11-19-13 10:00 AM
    I am aware of this. However 95%+ Android app functionality will translate to a better app experience in BBW resulting in the app gap ever more so rapidly closing.
    That was never in question. Obviously more apps means less gap. What is at issue is the process by which the apps are procured and the fact that without the OS being released in full and rolled out, NOTHING has changed.
    11-19-13 10:04 AM
    That was never in question. Obviously more apps means less gap. What is at issue is the process by which the apps are procured and the fact that without the OS being released in full and rolled out, NOTHING has changed.
    The OP clearly stated that this was pertaining to 10.2.1. We are only on 10.2 official release. So obviously nothing has changed for the average consumer until 10.2.1 drops.
    11-19-13 10:06 AM
    You kinds of debated your own point. Obviously more apps means less gap but no os means gap. Confused

Sent from my Z30
    11-19-13 10:08 AM
    Talk about taking something out of context. Saunders stated he will sideload when the dev has authorized such
    Yes, but read the rest. He is then asked (with a wink) "Like Instagram?" and he responds: "nope. Running their current official Android release on BB10 10.2.1, which supports loading Android APKs directly."

So you have it straight from the horse's mouth: as long as it's an "official Android release," it's okay as far as BBRY is concerned to load directly with 10.2.1 . . . irrespective of what the developer thinks.
    11-19-13 10:09 AM
    The OP clearly stated that this was pertaining to 10.2.1. We are only on 10.2 official release. So obviously nothing has changed for the average consumer until 10.2.1 drops.
    And then nothing will change until a lot of APKs land in the BBW or BlackBerry strikes a deal with someone like Amazon.

There are a lot of imperative necessities for this to change anything.
    That's why it is completely wrong to say that the app gap vanished.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 10:12 AM
    And then nothing will change until a lot of APKs land in the BBW or BlackBerry strikes a deal with someone like Amazon.

There are a lot of imperative necessities for this to change anything.
    That's why it is completely wrong to say that the app gap vanished.

Posted via CB10
    Why do they need to strike a deal with amazon?

Sent from my Z30
    11-19-13 10:14 AM
    Until you can open appworld search for instagram, netflix, or whatever other app you want/ need and hit download without the need for additional apk/bar, sideload, root, 1mobile or whatever technichal things you're all talking about. BlackBerry will fail in this endeavor period.
    If catering to business is considered a niche then what is this community considered???

Also worth noting with less than 2%market share the other 98 % will not jump ship if this is what they have to go through. Im beginning to think that the android runtime was one of the worst ideas BlackBerry ever implemented.

You know whats really sad? Android and google play get more love on crackberry than BlackBerry and BlackBerry world
    11-19-13 10:15 AM
    You kinds of debated your own point. Obviously more apps means less gap but no os means gap. Confused

Sent from my Z30
    That IS my point. The OS has not been released, their is no proof of the appropriate agreements in place (or even a clear position from BBRY on the whole situation) and there is no way of knowing how the apps will respond in an environment they weren't intended for. There's nothing indicating that the Devs have been consulted by any of the parties involved nor what their feelings on it are and for the average consumer, absolutely nothing has changed. BB10 still doesn't have the apps they want and they don't appear to be putting forward a clear road map to get those apps.

And before you say that allowing APKs to be installed from the phone is their road map explain why it is that BBRY has very public stances that indicate that sideloading is for Devs to test their apps and that any staff caught leaking will be fired. With those two public positoins I don't see how you can keep claiming that the app gap has been closed and all of the problems have been fixed because, from where I sit, we are so frighteningly far from that place it isn't funny.
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-19-13 10:18 AM
    Why do they need to strike a deal with amazon?

Sent from my Z30
    I'm not trying to be rude, but where have you been for the last 43 pages...?
    11-19-13 10:21 AM
    Interesting opinions brought up by all so far. The conclusion I can draw is this, all debates on legality aside:

For people who have the willingness and ability to seek out and install APKs, their personal app gap is closing.

For BlackBerry, unless they come out and officially support and offer solutions for this direct APK install method, their app gap as a platform (and most importantly to the consumer) is still as wide as it was 2 weeks ago.
    11-19-13 10:28 AM
    I'm not trying to be rude, but where have you been for the last 43 pages...?
    Tough to read the cb app these days

Sent from my Z30
    11-19-13 10:31 AM
1,792 ... 4142434445 ...