ur average consumer doesnt care about this. open app world, download, go.. if there r any problems beyond this, its too much hassle to bother with. thats what im saying! they gotta be ready and working fully.
    Your average customer has no clue that there is an Android runtime. They simply use apps being unaware that they are using an Android app. Hence the cohesive integration
    11-19-13 09:17 AM
    BlackBerry have always maintained that sideloading apk's is for devs only - not consumers.

So what we do is not their problem - they've (arguably weakly) executed their duty of care and are (arguably) legally having their cake and eating it.

Hence why they should just put an end to this nonsense and come out with a clear, simple answer - yes or no to consumer sideloading.
    Well, according to Saunders' tweet, there's nothing wrong with grabbing an .apk for BB10 wherever you happen to find it, no matter what the developer may think.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-19-13 09:18 AM
    What you are saying flies in the face of ethics and what BBRY is saying itself. You cannot be seriously saying that piracy -- again, what BBRY calls this practice -- is a benefit to developers.

How is an Android developer that has not given permission for his/her app to be sideloaded (I'm sorry... loaded directly) monetizing with this process?
    How is an app submitted by the owner of the app into BlackBerry World piracy?
    11-19-13 09:18 AM
    That's absolutely true.

BlackBerry have always maintained that sideloading apk's is for devs only - not consumers.

So what we do is not their problem - they've (arguably weakly) executed their duty of care and are (arguably) legally having their cake and eating it.

Hence why they should just put an end to this nonsense and come out with a clear, simple answer - yes or no to consumer sideloading.

Debating ethics is going to end up scoring circles in the sand

Posted via CB10
    It is actually interesting to see how they are dancing around the issue. One of our more experienced dev forumites pointed out some of the twitter feeds of BB execs. Fun stuff.

If anything, my respect for BBRY's PR folks has gone through the roof. They're good.

FTR, though, they have been quite clear IMHO. Consumer sideloading is not supposed to happen. Yes, it's hard to avoid snickering while typing that LOL.
    JeepBB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    11-19-13 09:19 AM
    the next complaint is the hefty price tag on BB10 hardware. they are too 2000 and late to command top $

lots of cheaper androids out there with dual core 1.5GHz processors
    And none of those dual core1.5ghz android phones run as fast it's equivalent on bb10

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:19 AM
    Your average customer has no clue that there is an Android runtime. They simply use apps being unaware that they are using an Android app. Hence the cohesive integration
    Which means that you agree that the app gap isn't closed as along as these APKs aren't found in BBW or until BlackBerry strikes a deal with someone like Amazon to bring their App Store to the BlackBerry10 platform?

Because if not, what you say is incredibly inconsistent.

And none of those dual core1.5ghz android phones run as fast it's equivalent on bb10

Posted via CB10
    Oh how I have missed you!
    May I ask why you got the 1 month ban?

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-19-13 09:20 AM
    Well, according to Saunders' tweet, there's nothing wrong with grabbing an .apk for BB10 wherever you happen to find it, no matter what the developer may think.
    Talk about taking something out of context. Saunders stated he will sideload when the dev has authorized such
    The upgraded runtime is simply to allow easier monetization of existing apps to be deployed in Blackberry World.

IMHO the Android App player is brilliant. It took time to engineer a cohesive run time that would bring s amless integration into BB10. At first we had 50% support of apps. Now we are at a point with 10.2.1 that will allow 95%+ of Android apps to be supported on the platform.

This is a major engineering feat.

BlackBerry with the Android runtime time is simply holding to their devices commitment of having a 100% open development environment. This includes supporting Android java devs.
    Lost in a lot of this messy thread is that BlackBerry recognized from day one that they face(d) an uphill battle with apps. They developed an action plan with contingencies that the Android Runtime is a part of. The debate in this thread is really nothing new, BlackBerry is attempting to pull off a new contingency. The Armchair legalists and devs have made the piracy argument over and over, yet BlackBerry continues to push forward with its app contingency plan. I don't know anything about the hypocrisy accusations but it seems that a lot of people don't want to recognize that BlackBerry is pushing forward and attempting to take on challenges.

Posted via CB10(BBM#22) on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    missing_K-W likes this.
    How is an app submitted by the owner of the app into BlackBerry World piracy?
    So we agree, then. Only apps procured via BBW should be on a BB10 device unless one is a developer testing an app, correct? Just like BBRY states.
    Which means that you agree that the app gap isn't closed as along as these APKs aren't found in BBW or until BlackBerry strikes a deal with someone like Amazon to bring their App Store to the BlackBerry10 platform?

Posted via CB10
    this simply gives us more options...more choice.
    11-19-13 09:21 AM
    LOL. I suspect that tweet will be gone or edited soon.

Notice though, he didn't say it was okay. He just suggested a blog post.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-19-13 09:22 AM
    thats also my point though. with the official 10.2.1, will amazon or 1mobiel be included? or some sort of official android market? where will the average consumer go to get these apps that are solving the problem without even knowing as u have quite rightly pointed out?
    11-19-13 09:23 AM
    So we agree, then. Only apps procured via BBW should be on a BB10 device unless one is a developer testing an app, correct? Just like BBRY states.
    If BlackBerry decides to support a third party store such as Amzon and a deal is struck. Devs are bound to the agreement they have signed with the given third party app store and that app stores business policy. If Amazon feels that Blackberry meets the requirements. How would this be piracy?
    11-19-13 09:24 AM
    Lost in a lot of this messy thread is that BlackBerry recognized from day one that they face(d) an uphill battle with apps. They developed an action plan with contingencies that the Android Runtime is a part of. The debate in this thread is really nothing new, BlackBerry is attempting to pull off a new contingency. The Armchair legalists and devs have made the piracy argument over and over, yet BlackBerry continues to push forward with its app contingency plan. I don't know anything about the hypocrisy accusations but it seems that a lot of people don't want to recognize that BlackBerry is pushing forward and attempting to take on challenges.

Posted via CB10(BBM#22) on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    Same thing as was said before:

So you also agree that without these Apps being found in BBW or BlackBerry striking a deal with someone like Amazon, nothing has changed?
    Because to go to unsupported sources that may also host maleware, is an inexistence solution for every normal consumer.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:27 AM

Oh how I have missed you!
    May I ask why you got the 1 month ban?

Posted via CB10
    You can PM me about it. Won't discuss it here.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:27 AM
    this simply gives us more options...more choice.
    Whom is we?
    My company would probably fire me, if I compromised corporate data because of a LEAKED software I downloaded to my own accord, while going to a shady 3rd party app store that may host maleware.

Not even talking about the fact of the average consumer having NO interest in sideloading and that he/she probably not even knows what it actually means.

It gives options to the people that already were willing to tinker with their phones. For everyone else, nothing has changed.

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-19-13 09:31 AM
    I just find it hard to believe that this many people feel it is okay for a developer to make an app, and for others to appropriate it the way they choose.

Prior to BB10, we were having a theoretical discussion about "ethical" communities. It stemmed from the perceived differences between the iOS jailbreaking and Android rooting communities; one of the iOS users had noted how "dangerous" it is to even mention using warez amongst Android heads.

Anyhoo, I remember a few of us BB users mentioning that such crap would NEVER fly amongst BB users. I mean, back in the day, it wouldn't go to well. Now, we call BB10 devices Android devices to justify this, uh, app contingency plan, while BBRY clearly leaves us to hang in the wind.
    11-19-13 09:31 AM
    Well, if anything has come out of this thread, it has debunked the myth that BlackBerry owners don't want or need apps when there's a great browser
    11-19-13 09:34 AM
    If BlackBerry decides to support a third party store such as Amzon and a deal is struck. Devs are bound to the agreement they have signed with the given third party app store and that app stores business policy. If Amazon feels that Blackberry meets the requirements. How would this be piracy?
    Again, we are in agreement.

So you agree that till such an agreement is met between BBRY and said app storefront, using apks not explicitly made available by the developer is wrong?
    paper_monkey and yunvi like this.
    11-19-13 09:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    The app gap is closed for those that are willing to use a credible 3rd party sources such as Amazon app store.

For those that will only stick to BBW the app gap is closing. Many apps are being deployed daily.

The app gap is certainly closed depending on how a given consumer decides to utilize the BB10 mobile computing platform.
    11-19-13 09:36 AM
    Well, if anything has come out of this thread, it has debunked the myth that BlackBerry owners don't want or need apps when there's a great browser
    Now that you mention it, I have not read "just use the browser" in the last fortnight... LOL.
    paper_monkey and bekkay like this.
    11-19-13 09:36 AM
    You can PM me about it. Won't discuss it here.

Posted via CB10
    How are your studies coming along? It breaks my heart to admit, but I actually missed you LOL.
    11-19-13 09:37 AM
    Now that you mention it, I have not read "just use the browser" in the last fortnight... LOL.
    just use the browser
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-19-13 09:40 AM
    How are your studies coming along? It breaks my heart to admit, but I actually missed you LOL.
    Data Structures. or Struggles is a pain in the ***. But yeah I think it was a good thing to be away from the forums for a month.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:41 AM
    just use the browser
    When do android or iOS users use their browser ? Do they literally have an app for every single little thing ?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:43 AM
1,792 ... 4041424344 ...