you know just to comment on ur initial post, and I could be wrong here, but having official support when 10.2.1 actually hits does not mean the apps will work better and be more integrated. We have seen this with the sideloading method which existed since the PlayBook, and I doubt app compatibility and optimization will take place just cos we can download app directly from apks to the device. Only if they r in BlackBerry World will they be fully i.twgrated and supported.

I may be wrong, we will see when 10.2.1 hits

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 08:29 AM
    It's been said - and needs to be said again: BlackBerry need to make an unequivocal statement that this "apk thing" is actually for consumers.

They've said sideloading is NOT there for consumers, only as a means of enticing and making devs lives easier.

And CB have asked Alec Saunders a whole load of questions: NONE of the answers address this.

Hence why we're in ambigious territory.

Perhaps ALL these threads should be shut down - and ALL the posts, CB puts out, taken down - and someone should just get the simple clarification that is not there at present.

Problem solved ;-)

I, for one, do not think a clear answer will be given. BlackBerry just can't do that, for whatever reason, or we'd have it by now. BlackBerry do read these forums.

Odd.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-19-13 08:30 AM
    And btw, I don't care for the legal side of things, I trust blackberry to be responsible for providing things that won't get us in jail.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 08:31 AM
    And btw, I don't care for the legal side of things, I trust blackberry to be responsible for providing things that won't get us in jail.

Posted via CB10
    That's absolutely true.

BlackBerry have always maintained that sideloading apk's is for devs only - not consumers.

So what we do is not their problem - they've (arguably weakly) executed their duty of care and are (arguably) legally having their cake and eating it.

Hence why they should just put an end to this nonsense and come out with a clear, simple answer - yes or no to consumer sideloading.

Debating ethics is going to end up scoring circles in the sand

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 08:34 AM
    Wow....

BB fanatics: BB is THE most secure platform.

Joe Public: It hasn't got Instagram.

BB fanatics: No problem. Here, go to this site and pirate off software and load it to your device.

Joe Public: Is that secure?

*****crickets******

BB fanatics: It closes the app gap so get it. Here. Use these links.

Joe Public: Are they safe? I bought BB for security.

****crickets****

BB fanatic: Why do you care? Android is loaded with malware. BB is safer.

Joe Public: Yea that's why I'm thinking BB. But if I want Instagram I have to go to some third party App Store and load Android apps

BB fanatic: STOP TROLLING!!!! WHO'S PAYING YOU?!?!!! YOU WORK FOR GOOGLE!!!!!

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    11-19-13 08:36 AM
    Wow....

BB fanatics: No problem. Here, go to this site and pirate off software and load it to your device.

*****crickets******

****crickets****

Joe Public: Yea that's why I'm thinking BB. But if I want Instagram I have to go to some third party App Store and load Android apps

LOL

Say, have you ever heard a hoard of crickets? The racket... ;-)

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 08:38 AM
    LOL

Say, have you ever heard a hoard of crickets? The racket... ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Every summer night in the mid Atlantic.

11-19-13 08:40 AM
    Wow....

*****crickets******

****crickets****

The app agap is being closed. Who are you to judge whom a fanatic is? Most of us just embrace more options more choice.

Now that Blackberry has made the Android runtime a cohesive part of BB10 allowing for apps that are already developed to be easily supported on the platform, some view this as a bad thing.

I am just impressed at a platform that is in its infancy is closing the gap by leaps and bounds.

Google didn't make these Android apps. BlackBerry is supporting devs whether people accept this or not.

Android devs are java devs and BlackBerry is allowing for them to monetize on the platform.

We don't have to be fanatics to embrace more options more choice. More options more choice is an asset......as opposed to a liability.
    11-19-13 08:43 AM
    The app agap is being closed. Who are you to judge whom a fanatic is? Most of us just embrace more options more choice.

Now that Blackberry has made the Android runtime a cohesive part of BB10 allowing for apps that are already developed to be easily supported on the platform, some view this as a bad thing.

I am just impressed at a platform that is in its infancy is closing the gap by leaps and bounds.

Google didn't make these Android apps. BlackBerry is supporting devs whether people accept this or not.

Android devs are java devs and BlackBerry is allowing for them to monetize on the platform.

We don't have to be fanatics to embrace more options more choice. More options more choice is an asset......as opposed to a liability.
    Did I *name* who I consider to be in the throes of fanaticism?

Here is THE most secure platform. And the answer to get the apps that NOBODY wanted is to go to a site whose owners are, at best, questionable.

11-19-13 08:47 AM
    Wow....

*****crickets******

****crickets****

this is (with a tremendously higher dose of humour (humor)) is what i was trying to ask in an earlier post. what happens to all the security concious people around us? Does running the "so infected" droid apps on the bb10 platform make the issue go away (assuming the claims of malware were/are correct ?
    Poirots Progeny and xandermac like this.
    11-19-13 08:48 AM
    This! I can just see John Chen coming out and announcing the end of BlackBerry hardware, moving to SAAS, and telling people they will be making Android and Apple safe for the Enterprise and still have BBM. Then some statement about looking to the future and they tried but it just didn't make financial sense, just like BB10 on the PlayBook and their future in the tablet space in general.

Posted via CB10
    Now that is an interesting and pretty realistic proposition.
    11-19-13 08:50 AM

i dont like that i cant use video chat on line, or that snapchat doesnt push notifications to my phone. im really not complaining here.. im saying that, if they offer an alternative.. it should work 100%. i dont care who slates me.. i really dont give a sh*t... but to those who have said, another platform is for you.. thats the best response to my issue... but it will work against u, and the 1.5% market share will become .5% of marketshare if it carries on the way it goes.

of course if an official 10.2.1 release fixes all these issues i might be persuaded to stay... who knows
    11-19-13 08:50 AM
    this is (with a tremendously higher dose of humour (humor)) is what i was trying to ask in an earlier post. what happens to all the security concious people around us? Does running the "so infected" droid apps on the bb10 platform make the issue go away (assuming the claims of malware were/are correct ?
    Don't worry about that.

It's ok.

Just pick up an apk somewhere and have fun posting pictures of your food while showing a duck face and see how many likes you get.

11-19-13 08:51 AM
    Did I *name* who I consider to be in the throes of fanaticism?

Here is THE most secure platform. And the answer to get the apps that NOBODY wanted is to go to a site whose owners are, at best, questionable.

The upgraded runtime is simply to allow easier monetization of existing apps to be deployed in Blackberry World.

IMHO the Android App player is brilliant. It took time to engineer a cohesive run time that would bring s amless integration into BB10. At first we had 50% support of apps. Now we are at a point with 10.2.1 that will allow 95%+ of Android apps to be supported on the platform.

This is a major engineering feat.

BlackBerry with the Android runtime time is simply holding to their devices commitment of having a 100% open development environment. This includes supporting Android java devs.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    11-19-13 08:55 AM

So BBRY is doing this for the good of the devs?
    11-19-13 08:57 AM
    This! I can just see John Chen coming out and announcing the end of BlackBerry hardware, moving to SAAS, and telling people they will be making Android and Apple safe for the Enterprise and still have BBM. Then some statement about looking to the future and they tried but it just didn't make financial sense, just like BB10 on the PlayBook and their future in the tablet space in general.

Posted via CB10
    I can see this happening. "We feel it offers greater value to the customer".
    11-19-13 08:59 AM
    So BBRY is doing this for the good of the devs?
    Devs and consumers benefits from this. To say an app developer being able to monetize on the platform being wrong is foolish.
    11-19-13 09:01 AM
    The upgraded runtime is simply to allow easier monetization of existing apps to be deployed in Blackberry World.

IMHO the Android App player is brilliant. It took time to engineer a cohesive run time that would bring s amless integration into BB10. At first we had 50% support of apps. Now we are at a point with 10.2.1 that will allow 95%+ of Android apps to be supported on the platform.

This is a major engineering feat.

BlackBerry with the Android runtime time is simply holding to their devices commitment of having a 100% open development environment. This includes supporting Android java devs.
    wouldnt this require careful tweaking by the developer to optimize their app for bb10 and to allow all features of that app to work flawlessy with the bb10 os?
    11-19-13 09:01 AM
    i dont like that i cant use video chat on line, or that snapchat doesnt push notifications to my phone. im really not complaining here.. im saying that, if they offer an alternative.. it should work 100%. i dont care who slates me.. i really dont give a sh*t... but to those who have said, another platform is for you.. thats the best response to my issue... but it will work against u, and the 1.5% market share will become .5% of marketshare if it carries on the way it goes.

of course if an official 10.2.1 release fixes all these issues i might be persuaded to stay... who knows
    If it wasn't for engineering a cohesive unit this functionality would most likely be here already.

Major engineering feat to have Android runtime integration utilizing the hub, invocation etc.
    11-19-13 09:04 AM
    11-19-13 09:05 AM
    wouldnt this require careful tweaking by the developer to optimize their app for bb10 and to allow all features of that app to work flawlessy with the bb10 os?
    Tweaking shouldn't be necessary and this is my belief of where the runtime is headed. There should be no tweaking required. Seamless integration is the ultimate goal of the Android runtime.
    11-19-13 09:06 AM
    If it wasn't for engineering a cohesive unit this functionality would most likely be here already.

Major engineering feat to have Android runtime integration utilizing the hub, invocation etc.
    ur average consumer doesnt care about this. open app world, download, go.. if there r any problems beyond this, its too much hassle to bother with. thats what im saying! they gotta be ready and working fully.
    11-19-13 09:06 AM
    Devs and consumers benefits from this. To say an app developer being able to monetize on the platform being wrong is foolish.
    What you are saying flies in the face of ethics and what BBRY is saying itself. You cannot be seriously saying that piracy -- again, what BBRY calls this practice -- is a benefit to developers.

How is an Android developer that has not given permission for his/her app to be sideloaded (I'm sorry... loaded directly) monetizing with this process?
    11-19-13 09:08 AM
    Tweaking shouldn't be necessary and this is my belief of where the runtime is headed. There should be no tweaking required. Seamless integration is the ultimate goal of the Android runtime.
    well i hope this is true (cos as uve already replied to my previous posts) you know im having problems with line and snapchat.. to name but 2 of about 30 that ive downloaded.

the next quiestion is, how long? i am willing to wait... but im just being skeptical. blackberry talk a good talk.
    11-19-13 09:08 AM
    I don't want a million apps.

I want native banking apps. Forget Instagram. I won't go through the steps required for a third party solution just as I never jailbreak nor do I root.

I want native banking apps on a "business tool."

Why is that so absolutely impossible on my Z10?

Because your bank didn't bother developing one?? Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:16 AM
1,792 ... 3940414243 ...