Ugh... repetitive. Define Android platform.
    Non-BB, non-WP, non-iOS, and so on.

Are we now distorting reality in the opposite direction and calling BB10 Android?

This is so surreal.
    11-19-13 01:10 AM
    According to Tmobile and BlackBerry (when I was on an official os) it's perfectly normal.

Can't ask for tech support from either once I went the leak route.
    Come on now...thats just not true. (can't be normal)

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:18 AM
    Non-BB, non-WP, non-iOS, and so on.

Are we now distorting reality in the opposite direction and calling BB10 Android?

This is so surreal.
    If android is truly a "open " platform. They can surely squeeze in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:20 AM
    Ugh... repetitive. Define Android platform.
    Anyway, here is the definition from Google themselves:

"the Android Platform is an open-source software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and applications, and that a feature of Android is the Dalvik virtual machine (�VM�), which executes files in the Dalvik Executable (.dex) format, and can run classes compiled by a Java language compiler that have been converted into the .dex format by the �dx� tool included with Android." (Oracle v. Google 3:10-cv-03561-WHA)
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-19-13 01:20 AM
    If android is truly a "open " platform. They can surely squeeze in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    What's next? Will we call MacOS running a Windows VM Windows?

And no, Android being open-source doesn't make the closed-source BB10 Android. This is beyond any logic.
    11-19-13 01:22 AM

And no, Android being open-source doesn't make the closed-source BB10 Android. This is beyond any logic.
    They are using the dalvik virtual machine are they not ?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:25 AM

And yes technically you can have multiple platforms running on the same device.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:26 AM
    They are using the dalvik virtual machine are they not ?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and your point?

Does BB10 has the Android OS, middleware, and applications?

Again, here is Android. Where the f. is BB10?

Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-19-13 01:26 AM
    Listen, guys, it's beyond ridiculous to see the same people who were so opposed and hateful towards Android actually proclaiming BB10 to be Android.

I am just speechless.
    bobauckland, JeepBB, mset and 6 others like this.
    11-19-13 01:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    No, you can't run multiple platforms on one OS. Look up the definition for a computing platform.
    11-19-13 01:31 AM
    Yes, and your point?

Does BB10 has the Android OS, middleware, and applications?

Again, here is Android. Where the f. is BB10?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rynehy.png
    I'm assuming when Bb10 runs a android app it pulls up the needed libraries and runs the Android vm. I guess it doesn't run the "middleware".

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:32 AM
    Listen, guys, it's beyond ridiculous to see the same people who were so opposed and hateful towards Android actually proclaiming BB10 to be Android.

I am just speechless.
    I'm not proclaiming BB10 to be android. The android player contained within is.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:33 AM
    I'm not proclaiming BB10 to be android. The android player contained within is.

Posted via CB10
    Do you really understand the difference between a platform, OS, and a VM?

Look, let me explain it again. Apple MacOS is NOT Windows and is not running the Windows platform when it runs Windows soft in a VM.

Do you object to this statement?
    11-19-13 01:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you dual or triple boot your device giving each OS full native access to the hardware, then yes you can have a multi platform device. The key is, these are full OS' that can only run natively one at a time, not inside a virtualized environment of another OS.
    bobauckland, JeepBB and Saiga like this.
    11-19-13 01:54 AM
    I think if you need a million apps then BlackBerry is not for you. I'm quite happy with the apps I have and the ones I have sideloaded.

Microsoft has been trying to perfect Windows since the 90's and people are crapping on BlackBerry after only a few months.

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    I don't want a million apps.

I want native banking apps. Forget Instagram. I won't go through the steps required for a third party solution just as I never jailbreak nor do I root.

I want native banking apps on a "business tool."

Why is that so absolutely impossible on my Z10?

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    11-19-13 03:57 AM
    the next complaint is the hefty price tag on BB10 hardware. they are too 2000 and late to command top $

lots of cheaper androids out there with dual core 1.5GHz processors
    amjass12 likes this.
    11-19-13 04:25 AM
    lets all close the android app related topics. the conclusion is:

APK direct to phone has solved the app gap. even if other people dont have the apps they want, others have apps that have filled the void and therefore people who still complain are anti blackberry and should start considering another platform. Moire android apps work than dont (apparently) and theres absolutely nothing wrong with playing super mario with the orientation upside just to get mario to move forward in the map. At least BlackBerry are trying!!!!!

Moderators shut this thread!!!
    11-19-13 04:52 AM
    It was never about the apps, unless you have killer apps the others don't. BB10 was about playing catch up, and that doesn't lead to success. Remember the Zune? Remember the Palm Pre? Both were arguably better than the their main competitors, namely the iPod and the iPhone. How did those do? To not learn from history is to continue repeat their failures.

Unless a version of BB10 is released very soon that leapfrogs the competition in some meaningful way (sorry, but peek and flow is not very meaningful).it's not going to change anything. Why would someone get an overpriced BlackBerry to run Android apps? Nobody, because the entire concept is ridiculous. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with BB10. It's nice phone OS and it works just fine. The problem is, the other work just fine too, and they're equally nice. What's going to make people want it more than the other choices? At this point in time, the answer for the vast majority of the phone buying population is NOTHING.
    11-19-13 05:06 AM
    Um, with access to 150k apps on bbworld and 1 million android apps.. Yeah i do.
    1 5 0 k bbworld...apps??? What???
    X)
    First, maps and books and all that crap are not apps...
    Second, the most of those "150k" are junk..
    They're probably 75k apps and maybe just 25k of them are useful

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-19-13 05:13 AM

I am just speechless.
    This is the best part of this whole "debate".
    People who praised BB10 as the second coming of the Christ, while proclaiming Android to be the devil's work, now say that BlackBerry actually runs the full Android OS and that it is absolutely superb like this.

As has been said a number of times already, BB10 phones aren't Android phones, but everytime when I read the interpretation that they actually are part of the Android platform right now, I am somewhere between crying and laughing.

Apparently BlackBerry should have gone down the Android route with a custom launcher, as most people seem to be perfectly happy with a BlackBerry being an Android phone.
    Like this there would have been some official support for apps at least...

But I kind of share the speechless feeling...

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 07:34 AM
    That was Alec's response with the new run time.

I joke a lot but I don't think any good will come from this. Sure we cb geeks can get apps now (some work), but it's not likely to help BlackBerry World grow in any way.

Honestly it feels oddly similar to the playbook and 2.0/2.1. "C'mon guy, it's all good! Nothings wrong, we love you" (said in the sadam voice from south park)
    This! I can just see John Chen coming out and announcing the end of BlackBerry hardware, moving to SAAS, and telling people they will be making Android and Apple safe for the Enterprise and still have BBM. Then some statement about looking to the future and they tried but it just didn't make financial sense, just like BB10 on the PlayBook and their future in the tablet space in general.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-19-13 07:44 AM
    lets all close the android app related topics. the conclusion is:

APK direct to phone has solved the app gap. even if other people dont have the apps they want, others have apps that have filled the void and therefore people who still complain are anti blackberry and should start considering another platform. Moire android apps work than dont (apparently) and theres absolutely nothing wrong with playing super mario with the orientation upside just to get mario to move forward in the map. At least BlackBerry are trying!!!!!

Moderators shut this thread!!!
    And this is why there are 40 pages in this thread. Call me stubborn, call it semantics, call it what you want but untill their is an official release of the OS that implements direct installation of APKs onto BlackBerry devices with full legal agreements and licencing then this is not a solution to the 'app gap' it just isn't. If this all happens then we can have an informed discussion about this but right now you are basically saying that the only way to close the 'app gap' is to pirate software in the form of a leaked OS and then download apps of questionable origin and legality without proper optemization and/or support.

I'm not interested in considering a different platform, I'm interested in BlackBerry trying to find their way out of the weeds to save the company and, in turn, the platform. This so called solution several of you seem to be touting, as it stands today, is a veritable Pandora's Box of unknown legal trouble. BlackBerry are mostly safe from it so far since they have stated that sideloading is for Dev testing use and their stated stance of firing any employee found providing leaks but the head in the sand legal defence only goes so far and apart from publicity letting many people know they are still alive, a lengthy legal battle would be the end of BlackBerry right now.

It only takes one Dev who doesn't like this to start legal proceedings and then there will be a more definitive answer to the unknowns. My question to you is, if you are pro BlackBerry, why are you so dissinterested in looking at the legality of what you are doing and what the potential collateral impacts to the company you support might be?
    11-19-13 07:56 AM
    My question to you is, if you are pro BlackBerry, why are you so dissinterested in looking at the legality of what you are doing and what the potential collateral impacts to the company you support might be?
    Because at this point in time, with 1.5% marketshare, still no profits and no realistic chance for BlackBerry to get important apps, some users are so desperate for apps, that they just don't care about such questions.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 08:01 AM
    And this is why there are 40 pages in this thread. Call me stubborn, call it semantics, call it what you want but untill their is an official release of the OS that implements direct installation of APKs onto BlackBerry devices with full legal agreements and licencing then this is not a solution to the 'app gap' it just isn't. If this all happens then we can have an informed discussion about this but right now you are basically saying that the only way to close the 'app gap' is to pirate software in the form of a leaked OS and then download apps of questionable origin and legality without proper optemization and/or support.

I'm not interested in considering a different platform, I'm interested in BlackBerry trying to find their way out of the weeds to save the company and, in turn, the platform. This so called solution several of you seem to be touting, as it stands today, is a veritable Pandora's Box of unknown legal trouble. BlackBerry are mostly safe from it so far since they have stated that sideloading is for Dev testing use and their stated stance of firing any employee found providing leaks but the head in the sand legal defence only goes so far and apart from publicity letting many people know they are still alive, a lengthy legal battle would be the end of BlackBerry right now.

It only takes one Dev who doesn't like this to start legal proceedings and then there will be a more definitive answer to the unknowns. My question to you is, if you are pro BlackBerry, why are you so dissinterested in looking at the legality of what you are doing and what the potential collateral impacts to the company you support might be?
    yh but u say this and ur accused of being an anti blackberry, complaining too much person, just cos u keep replying to someone who thinks they have an answer to ur post, when ur simply trying to say... the APK's uve downloaded do not work at all, or dont work properly.

anyway i meant it when i said shut this thread. its going nowhere
    11-19-13 08:09 AM
    yh but u say this and ur accused of being an anti blackberry, complaining too much person, just cos u keep replying to someone who thinks they have an answer to ur post, when ur simply trying to say... the APK's uve downloaded do not work at all, or dont work properly.

anyway i meant it when i said shut this thread. its going nowhere
    This thread is going nowhere because people aren't actually reading things. My issue is not that APKs don't work.. I won't download APKs because to do so I would have to load a leak on my phone which I am not willing to do. Furthermore, my issue with this is the questionable legality surrounding the APKs and their use. The fact that some of them may not work as intended is a separate issue.
    11-19-13 08:18 AM
1,792 ... 3839404142 ...