How doesnt it make it easier? I think thats the better question. Submitting an unmodified APK which can be managed along with every other android device sure sounds a lot better than porting an APK to BAR file and then submitting it and then submitting separate updates. You're gonna have to explain this one.
    As someone plodding along and learning development, first, I expect my work and ownership to be respected. BBRY actively protects its own work, and this does this?

Even if a developer is amenable to this, you are telling a developer that whether or not he/she make it available in the easiest way for BB10 users to consume it, it WILL be consumed. Why would a developer that is focused on iOS and/or Android and/or WP8 bother? Wasn't the previous methods supposed to do just that?

At the end of the day, the use of resources is supposed to be based on ROI. Will this move devices? That is the question a dispassionate investor would probably ask. I am not seeing how this will, and since the vast majority of BB10 users were happy with an app gap that was said not to exist prior, I am curious as to the reasoning.

Well, the proof will be in the pudding. We'll see. To be fair, BBRY itself has not made any proclamations of victory; this is, after all, a tool for developers (according to BBRY).
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-18-13 09:39 PM
    My screen is set around 60% , and I've been outside in the dark so it has auto dimmed (which you still can't disable)
    11-18-13 09:40 PM
    Only the browser. I hate active frames, as I've said since day one. Here's what happened since then, only using bbm groups with the browser in the background

Attachment 222169

Well, if you would simply stop challenging other platform users to browser wars all the time...
    MarsupilamiX and h20work like this.
    11-18-13 09:40 PM
    When all is said and done..
    I still don't buy my Apps at the Gap!

11-18-13 09:45 PM
    Gone. That's cute.

Posted via CB10
    h20work likes this.
    11-18-13 09:46 PM
    As someone plodding along and learning development, first, I expect my work and ownership to be respected. BBRY actively protects its own work, and this does this?

Even if a developer is amenable to this, you are telling a developer that whether or not he/she make it available in the easiest way for BB10 users to consume it, it WILL be consumed. Why would a developer that is focused on iOS and/or Android and/or WP8 bother? Wasn't the previous methods supposed to do just that?

At the end of the day, the use of resources is supposed to be based on ROI. Will this move devices? That is the question a dispassionate investor would probably ask. I am not seeing how this will, and since the vast majority of BB10 users were happy with an app gap that was said not to exist prior, I am curious as to the reasoning.

Well, the proof will be in the pudding. We'll see. To be fair, BBRY itself has not made any proclamations of victory; this is, after all, a tool for developers (according to BBRY).
    That was completely irrelevant to what I asked.

Sent from my Z30
    11-18-13 09:51 PM
    My screen is set around 60% , and I've been outside in the dark so it has auto dimmed (which you still can't disable)
    Something definitely sounds off

Sent from my Z30
    11-18-13 09:52 PM
    Something definitely sounds off

Sent from my Z30
    Screen cap shows what's running. Can't hide background processes from the device monitor
    11-18-13 09:57 PM
    Screen cap shows what's running. Can't hide background processes from the device monitor
    I know. Something is wrong with your phone is what I'm saying. That's not normal battery drain

Sent from my Z30
    11-18-13 09:58 PM
    That was completely irrelevant to what I asked.

Sent from my Z30
    It being easier is not really debatable. Should BBRY be making it easier? A whole new can of worms.

I think the question (the one I originally asked) is how does BBRY benefit from this? Every iteration of BB10 has been met with idomitable cheering and predictions of glory. Each one made the process of porting apps easier. How will this help BBRY be profitable?
    11-18-13 10:01 PM
    I know. Something is wrong with your phone is what I'm saying. That's not normal battery drain

Sent from my Z30
    According to Tmobile and BlackBerry (when I was on an official os) it's perfectly normal.

Can't ask for tech support from either once I went the leak route.
    11-18-13 10:04 PM
    6 months here, no time at all

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    So then do we look at the area that it has been out the shortest time in, claim BB10 to be that old and then excuse all of the issues because it 'just launched'?
    h20work likes this.
    11-18-13 10:06 PM
    Why can't the predictive text come up in the native browser. I find this should've been implemented in every single thing that has deal with typing.

Posted on Z10
    11-18-13 10:07 PM
    For many of us it is closed. For people that come here to complain will never be happy.

Sent from my Z30
    I don't understand. You just said that you have to wait and see what happens with the next OS leak because many apps don't work. So that means it's not even close to being closed. Even if you were dealing with an official OS release and you were saying this, it wouldn't be closed. The fact that you're referring to a leaked OS means that calling the app gap closed is borderline trolling.

Sorry, this isn't making any sense.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-18-13 10:08 PM
    For many of us it is closed. For people that come here to complain will never be happy.

Sent from my Z30
    This is pretty incoherent...
    And it gets old very fast, to say that everyone is complaining, just because a lot of users don't agree with your ridiculous assessment of the app gap being closed.

I already said it before, and I hope that you'll remember it this time:
    For the average user, NOTHING has changed.
    The average user, being defined to not be part of the1.5% having a BlackBerry.
    The average user doesn't sideload.
    He/she doesn't read tech blogs.
    She/he won't do anything, that isn't straightforward and supported.
    He/she has gained absolutely nothing, as long as BlackBerry doesn't have a deal with Amazon (for exemple) and has official access to their store.

For our Joe Doe, sideloading is as existant in his life, as an encrypted HDD in a Raid setup.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 10:11 PM
    How is it piracy when you still have to pay for paid apps? Android is open source knuckle head so offering the ability to utilize android apps is in no way piracy.

Single-finger flickin' fun, on the best virtual keyboard in existence. BlackBerry Zed10
    Do yourself a favour and read the many explanations in the 37 other pages of comments or the many many other threads on this topic. The operating system may be open source but that doesn't automatically mean that the apps are or that the apps are and even then, if you are using an app in a manner other than intended or on a platform other than intended you have likely violated any or all of the terms of service of the app store, the licence of the app and the copyright for the app (depending on your jurisdiction of course). If you don't have the express permission of the dev to use their app on your device/platform you are pirating the app. Doesn't make a difference if you paid for it or not.
    11-18-13 10:14 PM
    6 months here, no time at all

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    Jan 30th wasn't 6 months ago. I don't care of you use a BlackBerry calendar, lunar, mayan, or fiscal.
    11-18-13 10:15 PM
    Do yourself a favour and read the many explanations in the 37 other pages of comments or the many many other threads on this topic. The operating system may be open source but that doesn't automatically mean that the apps are or that the apps are and even then, if you are using an app in a manner other than intended or on a platform other than intended you have likely violated any or all of the terms of service of the app store, the licence of the app and the copyright for the app (depending on your jurisdiction of course). If you don't have the express permission of the dev to use their app on your device/platform you are pirating the app. Doesn't make a difference if you paid for it or not.
    trying to find an app's tos is proving somewhat difficult.
    11-18-13 10:15 PM
    I don't understand. You just said that you have to wait and see what happens with the next OS leak because many apps don't work. So that means it's not even close to being closed. Even if you were dealing with an official OS release and you were saying this, it wouldn't be closed. The fact that you're referring to a leaked OS means that calling the app gap closed is borderline trolling.

Sorry, this isn't making any sense.
    Don't feel bad.. I've read nearly every post in the 38 pages of comments so far and I can't figure it out either. I can understand getting attached to a hypothesis and I think it's fantastic that Playbookster has found a system that works for him.

For me, an average to slightly above average user, pirating a leaked OS to be able to download apps of unknown origin onto my device with no clear understanding as to whether or not the appropriate agreements have been put in place to ensure some measure of legality or permission to use the apps on said device is not a solution for me and never will be. If the leak goes official in its current form and they are able to ink deals with the appropriate people to allow for the direct installation of APKs then we can start having an informed discussion about what impact that will have on Devs writing native apps for BB10 versus allowing people to use an app designed for a different platform with no regard for potential conflicts or incompatibilities. I suspect that this will hurt far more than it helps in the long rung but clearly we will have to agree to disagree. It's unfortunate that there was so much reluctance to work past the semantics or there could have been an interesting discussion develop about 30 pages earlier.
    11-18-13 10:23 PM
    Wait a minute!
    There are no average users here.

We've got "Addicts" (way above average)
    and we've got the moaners and groaner! ( way, way below average)

Where you getting your information from, huh?
    11-18-13 10:25 PM
    trying to find an app's tos is proving somewhat difficult.
    You should have little difficulty finding the TOS for the app store, the app may or may not have a specific EULA but it should be released under some manner of licence and if nothing else, you would have to look at the copyright legislation both in your jurisdiction and that of the origin of the app.
    11-18-13 10:26 PM
    You should have little difficulty finding the TOS for the app store, the app may or may not have a specific EULA but it should be released under some manner of licence and if nothing else, you would have to look at the copyright legislation both in your jurisdiction and that of the origin of the app.
    Amazon Appstore for Android Terms of Use
    11-18-13 11:08 PM
    TLDR... be specific and point it out.
    11-18-13 11:24 PM
    TLDR... be specific and point it out.
    Already been discussed ad nauseam, but here it goes again nevertheless:

"Apps can be used only on mobile devices that use the Android platform"
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-19-13 12:29 AM
    Already been discussed ad nauseam, but here it goes again nevertheless:

"Apps can be used only on mobile devices that use the Android platform"
    Ugh... repetitive. Define Android platform.
    11-19-13 12:58 AM
1,792 ... 3738394041 ...