We already made the assessment that for pretty much everything on the basic level, Wikipedia is enough.

Because I find you funny and wonder why you don't search yourself for definitions that you seem to struggle with, I may help you out once again:
    How to sideload and install Android applications [ANDROID 101]

What is sideloading on a smartphone, and is it a bad thing? | ITworld

What is sideloading? [Android A to Z] | Android Central

How to Sideload Android Apps

And now guess what?
    Yes!!!!
    The term sideloading applies to what PlayBookster and other users described in the entire thread.

Posted via CB10
    *sigh* whatever.

This definition would also apply in the old school BBOS world for OTA installs. Happy?

If you want to settle the semantics of this, then we'll say that 10.2.1.1055 dramatically reduces the effort and complexity of the "sideloading" process. Instead of a procedure that requires a) special software, b) a USB attachment to a computer, c) an app that's been converted from an APK to a BAR and d) a handset that has had Developer Mode enabled, 10.2.1 phones can just install and run APKs.

Taking away those other requirements all but eliminates the barriers for non-technical users. I'd say it's significantly less disruptive, in fact, than jailbreaking an iPhone or rooting an Android phone.

Is it "sideloading"? Yeah, sure. You win. But it's significantly easier "sideloading".
    canuckvoip and lynxs_claw like this.
    11-18-13 12:29 PM
    Just wanted to give an award to AMJASS12 for the most complaining in a thread!
    missing_K-W and playbookster like this.
    11-18-13 12:32 PM
    The very strong likelihood is that we will see an Android implementation in BB10 similar to the one in 10.2.1.1055. There is nothing illegal/immoral/unethical about it; they are running a freely available Open Source OS in a Virtual Machine. In fact, there was likely nothing stopping them from doing this as far back as the PlayBook days, but my own guess is that they wanted to give the BB10 developer community a little more breathing room.

Sure, it is only available in the form of a leak now, but it's reasonably easy to guess that it's eventually coming for EVERYONE.
    At which point it will be with the appropriate agreements and licences in place and everyone can have the informed discussion about whether it has helped or hurt BBRY and BB10 but at this point it is a bandaid solution that applies to a very limited number of people through a grey process at best (again, predicated entirely on running an unofficial version of the OS which is neither condoned nor supported by BlackBerry given their stated position that anyone caught providing leaks is fired). So in terms of the OP and the issue at hand in this thread, how can anyone say that the 'app gap' is gone in any way shape or form?

The hard reality is that most people will never load a leaked OS on their phone (warranty issues aside) and personally, the more I think about it, I see this option as a desperate play by BBRY if they do leave it in. I'm inclined to think that they will lock down the run time again before official release and we will be no further ahead than when we started.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-18-13 12:33 PM
    The app gap is gone? LOL.

The app gap will not be gone until the apps are for BB10.

I bought a Z10 for BB10 and native apps for BB10. If I want Android apps, I'll fire up my Nexus.
    What have u been smoking, android didn't make the apps, developers did, if they can work on ur blackberry why not, I'm using plenty android apps, why??? Cos I can

Yes the gap still exists, that will all change after 10.2.1 drops officialy. Even an average dump ***** consumer will be able to simply download apps from 1 mobile n amazon. Best believe the app gap is soon to be gone.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 12:37 PM
    And Thunderbuck......
    Nicely said!!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-18-13 12:37 PM
    *sigh* whatever.

This definition would also apply in the old school BBOS world for OTA installs. Happy?

If you want to settle the semantics of this, then we'll say that 10.2.1.1055 dramatically reduces the effort and complexity of the "sideloading" process. Instead of a procedure that requires a) special software, b) a USB attachment to a computer, c) an app that's been converted from an APK to a BAR and d) a handset that has had Developer Mode enabled, 10.2.1 phones can just install and run APKs.

Taking away those other requirements all but eliminates the barriers for non-technical users. I'd say it's significantly less disruptive, in fact, than jailbreaking an iPhone or rooting an Android phone.

Is it "sideloading"? Yeah, sure. You win. But it's significantly easier "sideloading".
    For me, at least, Thunderbuck this wasn't really directed at you for the bulk of this thread but this is essentially what I have been looking for for the past 20 mumble pages..
    This could be a fairly easy process for people to follow when/if 10.2.1.1055 is released and if it is the unlocked runtime fully enabled.

It may seem like mere semantics but they make a huge difference. Anyone who has every made a purchase without doing all of their homework and with a less than helpfull sales associate knows all too well that there is a huge difference between ready to go and 'some assembly required'.
    11-18-13 12:38 PM
    The very strong likelihood is that we will see an Android implementation in BB10 similar to the one in 10.2.1.1055. There is nothing illegal/immoral/unethical about it; they are running a freely available Open Source OS in a Virtual Machine. In fact, there was likely nothing stopping them from doing this as far back as the PlayBook days, but my own guess is that they wanted to give the BB10 developer community a little more breathing room.

Sure, it is only available in the form of a leak now, but it's reasonably easy to guess that it's eventually coming for EVERYONE.
    Android isn't Open Source, some parts are. Google's apps aren't.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...ans-necessary/

It's already been discussed in the thread how this is piracy.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-18-13 12:45 PM
    For me, at least, Thunderbuck this wasn't really directed at you for the bulk of this thread but this is essentially what I have been looking for for the past 20 mumble pages..
    This could be a fairly easy process for people to follow when/if 10.2.1.1055 is released and if it is the unlocked runtime fully enabled.

It may seem like mere semantics but they make a huge difference. Anyone who has every made a purchase without doing all of their homework and with a less than helpfull sales associate knows all too well that there is a huge difference between ready to go and 'some assembly required'.
    You've summed up my own reluctance to call the new Android support "sideloading"; viewed in the light of what the term has meant on BB10, it isn't the same thing at all. If you're going to broadly define it as "installing anything outside the official app store", then it applies, sure, but assuming this support is implemented in the release (and I think it's a fair assumption), then it's ridiculously simple.

The new Android install scheme is only marginally more involved than a BB World install, as opposed to the old sideload method which I'd call a whole order of magnitude more difficult.
    11-18-13 12:46 PM
    Once we have 10.2.1 officially launch we should see an influx of apps in BlackBerry World. I am looking forward to that

I like the concept of directly opening up apk files in the file manager. I'm not limited to an app store on my desktop.....why should I be limited to a walled garden?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 12:47 PM
    You've summed up my own reluctance to call the new Android support "sideloading"; viewed in the light of what the term has meant on BB10, it isn't the same thing at all. If you're going to broadly define it as "installing anything outside the official app store", then it applies, sure, but assuming this support is implemented in the release (and I think it's a fair assumption), then it's ridiculously simple.

The new Android install scheme is only marginally more involved than a BB World install, as opposed to the old sideload method which I'd call a whole order of magnitude more difficult.
    You're installing apps from outside of BlackBerry World, that's sideloading.

Geeks United C00122408
    JeepBB and bekkay like this.
    11-18-13 12:48 PM
    What have u been smoking, android didn't make the apps, developers did, if they can work on ur blackberry why not, I'm using plenty android apps, why??? Cos I can

Yes the gap still exists, that will all change after 10.2.1 drops officialy. Even an average dump ***** consumer will be able to simply download apps from 1 mobile n amazon. Best believe the app gap is soon to be gone.

Posted via CB10
    Avt never said "android made the apps" lol. He was making a distinction between apps that were designed to run on BB10 and apps designed to work with the Android UI.
    11-18-13 12:51 PM
    By next week they'll have a new word for it.
    Load it from the side, upside down, rightside up or inside out,.
    Just DO IT and stop complaining already.
    First it was, Golly Gee, Batman, then it was Neat, Hot, Cool, Groovy, Far Out and Totally Awesome.

Personally, I'm still in the FAR OUT phase! (Can you dig it?)
    missing_K-W and canuckvoip like this.
    11-18-13 01:09 PM
    We already made the assessment that for pretty much everything on the basic level, Wikipedia is enough.

Because I find you funny and wonder why you don't search yourself for definitions that you seem to struggle with, I may help you out once again:
    How to sideload and install Android applications [ANDROID 101]

What is sideloading on a smartphone, and is it a bad thing? | ITworld

What is sideloading? [Android A to Z] | Android Central

How to Sideload Android Apps

And now guess what?
    Yes!!!!
    The term sideloading applies to what PlayBookster and other users described in the entire thread.

Posted via CB10
    Who is the "We" you refer to?
    I have an excellent idea... ready?
    I'm going to publicly say that you are 100% correct. There, I said it... you win the interwebz.
    Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So...
    Do you think the release version of 10.2.1.1055 will help with the app gap situation if it gets released in this form or better?
    Man... I'm glad trains don't get derailed as often as threads here...
    :>)
    11-18-13 02:00 PM
    Hey! I'm still trying to work out the Garden Wall thing!
    11-18-13 03:03 PM
    Until 10.2.1 is officially available then app gap is there. Based on the current release late that will be "Summer" in the US and likely slip to after that based on recent history. Still no 10.2 and nothing but finger pointing on who is to blame.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 03:11 PM
    It's obviously a conspiracy because there's nothing to blame on anyone.
    But, really....
    BlackBerry likes to see you suffer, right?

You guys need to stop smokin' that funny stuff.

Wait! He did it!

By The Way:
    The "WE" refers to "THEM!"
    (hope that clears things up for you!)
    11-18-13 03:14 PM
    Who is the "We" you refer to?
    I have an excellent idea... ready?
    I'm going to publicly say that you are 100% correct. There, I said it... you win the interwebz.
    Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So...
    Do you think the release version of 10.2.1.1055 will help with the app gap situation if it gets released in this form or better?
    Man... I'm glad trains don't get derailed as often as threads here...
    :>)
    Oi! I won the t'internet a couple of weeks ago...

Mind, I gave it back, to be fair.

It was all a bit too much...

Feel It, Swipe It, Love It. BlackBerry Z10
    11-18-13 03:38 PM
    Once we have 10.2.1 officially launch we should see an influx of apps in BlackBerry World. I am looking forward to that
    Why? Just because it doesn't take a few minutes to port?
    11-18-13 04:00 PM
    Why? Just because it doesn't take a few minutes to port?
    With a better runtime, we will see more apps being deployed in Blackberry World. IMHO
    11-18-13 04:05 PM
    Just wanted to give an award to AMJASS12 for the most complaining in a thread!
    http://bestanimations.com/Games/Awards/1st-01-june.gif
    Complaining, what complaining? But thanks for the award!! Who do I thank!! I'd like to thank blackberry...

So now that the App Gap is gone, whats the next complaint?-img_00005346.png

I'm guessing due to Google services the game Orient's itself upside down and looks bloated ...

Ok so I'm joking I don't care!!! At least Netflix works! That's what counts

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 04:57 PM
    I think now BB has to modernize the look of the OS a bit, to make it stand out from the competition, to make people mess with it on the stores... it has to be sexyer..
    11-18-13 05:05 PM
    With a better runtime, we will see more apps being deployed in Blackberry World. IMHO
    People were saying the same about 10.2....
    11-18-13 05:35 PM
    Oi! I won the t'internet a couple of weeks ago...

Mind, I gave it back, to be fair.

It was all a bit too much...

Feel It, Swipe It, Love It. BlackBerry Z10
    Since you are referring to my post, it was canuckvoip I was talking about.

It's not all about you...
    11-18-13 05:36 PM
    People were saying the same about 10.2....
    And 10.1, and 10.0 before that. Not even worth mentioning pb 2.1, 2.0, 1.8, etc
    11-18-13 05:38 PM
    Since you are referring to my post, it was canuckvoip I was talking about.

It's not all about you...
    Uh oh... What did I do this time???
    :>o
    11-18-13 05:57 PM
1,792 ... 3536373839 ...