Why is nobody answering the OPs question? Once 10.2.1 is out the app GAP will be effectively closed. If people want to argue that it is sooo much harder to download apps from the Amazon store (or another site) than it is from Google Play I think they're just being ridiculous. More people likely already have payment accounts already set up with Amazon anyways, so how is that harder?

But WHAT should they focus on next? I say BBM full cross-platform functionality, including video calling, channels, etc on all platforms including desktops.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 01:41 AM
    Why is nobody answering the OPs question? Once 10.2.1 is out the app GAP will be effectively closed. If people want to argue that it is sooo much harder to download apps from the Amazon store (or another site) than it is from Google Play I think they're just being ridiculous. More people likely already have payment accounts already set up with Amazon anyways, so how is that harder?

But WHAT should they focus on next? I say BBM full cross-platform functionality, including video calling, channels, etc on all platforms including desktops.

Posted via CB10
    Oooohhh... I like the BBM next thing...
    11-18-13 01:45 AM
    Sorry but I don't believe the 3 out of 20 apps work. I have downloaded close to 20 myself . viber won't make calls and instagram doesn't send video. Everything else has worked for me including Line which impresses the hell out of me everytime I open. Clearly there us a higher success rate based on postings in the forums. No way we are in the same place we were before with the new runtime. Clearly BlackBerry IS working harder to make it better on their devices.

Posted via CB10(BBM#22) on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    Make a video call with line and report back please....

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 02:34 AM
    The app gap is being closed and will close. Some just can't handle/ accept that.

I'm 100% for android app support.

Posted via CB10
    I am perfectly willing to accept that and would stay with BlackBerry if it had or does truly close. But it hasn't despite this new update. I've explained a million times why it hasn't closed the gap so you can read my posts... but nyway, if the current solution is satisfactory to you the. good luck with it!

Posted via CB10
    bobauckland and bekkay like this.
    11-18-13 02:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Woah Woah Woah.. lool... no ones is denying the ease of downloading an app... but don't want apps that don't work. so how has it possibly solved the situation? They should still focus on getting all the android apps to work on bb10 first and really closing the app gap. If u think work is done in its current state.. then I say.. lol

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 02:46 AM
    It doesn't have Siri or Google Now. I've always maintained that the big shift with iPhone in 2007 was the change in user interface from screen pointer based to touch friendly ease of use. We're going through that again. iPhone took about 3-4 years to really catch on, same for Android. Right now the "voice assistant" is about 2 years old. Voice recognition is improving at an incredible pace with every iteration of iOS and Android. We're only a few years away from almost complete voice functionality where your phone will understand almost anything you tell it to do and respond in kind. BlackBerry has nothing to compete with that. Rumors are MS is fast at work on their own version called Cortana.

What could BlackBerry have done? They could have released their own voice assistant that was significantly better than either Siri or Google now. Alternatively, they could have tried a completely new user interface tech. Recently Apple purchased the company responsible for the tech in Kinect. I figure it's only a matter of time before that tech is also implemented in iPhone and most likely Google will knock it off immediately when it does. Perhaps a gesture interface is interesting enough to catch on. If BlackBerry offered something like that, it could have been a game changer. Alas, BB10 offers NOTHING significant over the competition.
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-18-13 02:50 AM
    Somehow I still cannot call this new method sideloading. It's a direct install.
    I posted it 2 times already...
    I know some people prefer to warp reality, but here we go again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideloading
    "When referring to Android apps, "sideloading" typically means installing an application package in APK format onto an Android device. Such packages are usually downloaded from websites other than Google Play. Sideloading of apps is only possible if the user allowed "Unknown Sources" in their Security Settings.[1]"

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 11-18-13 at 03:57 AM.
    bekkay likes this.
    11-18-13 03:30 AM
    Thank you for educating me. I do hope you don't use Wikipedia when you are researching anything important.
    #IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    Wikipedia has become a very reliable source for things that I consider "standard university knowledge".
    As long as you don't ask it how to clone humans, it will normally give you some nice answers.

However, you tend to dismiss any anectdotal evidence as false or unimportant any time it disagrees with what you say. In this instance what I am saying, I have a fairly large sample size, surely more than what most surveys use to come up with facts. At no point am I saying these 89 dollar tablets are going to be stealing customers from apple or Samsung. It's a completely different customer base. However, there will be hundred of thousands sold out on black Friday. My stores will be selling them, my competitors will, the discount stores down the street will, walmart and sears will, and starting last year, even the grocery stores were. Trust me, that's a lot of 'no-name' tablets without Google Play being sold.

Your evidence is anecdotal, live with it.
    I do believe you though, that these tablets are being sold.
    Price being the factor that gets them sold.

And Price is a very big problem for BlackBerry, because they still price their devices ridiculously high, and as we have seen with hard data (the non-anecdotal type), 98.5% of consumers aren't buying into the device.

38% other. Other has a bigger slice of the pie than apple or samsung. So yeah, I'd say the typical consumer would have no problem installing amazon's app store. Thanks for the numbers!

I think that this is one of the most obvious forms of confirmation bias I have seen in a long time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformation_bias

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 11-18-13 at 03:51 AM.
    bekkay and Unbiased Tech like this.
    11-18-13 03:37 AM
    Wikipedia has become a very reliable source for things that I consider "standard university knowledge".
    As long as you don't ask it how to clone humans, it will normally give you some nice answers.

As long as you dont cite wikipedia in a reference!! if you do, prepare for having your head chopped off!!!! (at least that how it is here in the UK in the sciences.. wikipedia=the devil

Your evidence is anecdotal, live with it.
    I do believe you though, that these tablets are being sold.
    Price being the factor that gets them sold.

And Price is a very big problem for BlackBerry, because they still price their devices ridiculously high, and as we have seen with hard data (the non-anecdotal type), 98.5% of consumers aren't buying into the device.

I think that this is one of the most obvious forms of confirmation bias I have seen in a long time.
    Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 04:29 AM
    ^
    I didn't say that you should use Wikipedia for scientific research papers.
    I said that for pretty much everything on a basic level, Wikipedia is accurate enough.

Pro tip: There is this section of every Wikipedia article called "references".
    So, if for whatever reason you use Wikipedia as your source for some official research, you probably should take a nice look at this section and use these references instead of saying that you've got your info from Wikipedia.

For pretty much everything forum related, Wikipedia will be enough though.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 05:01 AM
    ^
    I didn't say that you should use Wikipedia for scientific research papers.
    I said that for pretty much everything on a basic level, Wikipedia is accurate enough.

Pro tip: There is this section of every Wikipedia article called "references".
    So, if for whatever reason you use Wikipedia as your source for some official research, you probably should take a nice look at this section and use these references instead of saying that you've got your info from Wikipedia.

For pretty much everything forum related, Wikipedia will be enough though.

Posted via CB10
    wikipedia is more than enough for the forum most definetely.

And i didnt say u were saying that!! it was just a joke! as here wikipedia is literally like the devil loool.. its like u cant use that word around academics haha.. anyway, I use wikipedia for everything, its just the best thing in the world, especially for understanding the basic stuff.. but when reading journals i go elsewhere..

it is funny though, its easy to rely on wikipedia so much, but when you wikipedia article you searched for on the renal system, starts with the renal system elimates wastes from the body etc... followed by, pee tastes good, yum yum... u start to question how much one can rely on wikipedia loool.. in fairness though, that was taken down pretty quickly!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-18-13 05:08 AM
    Installed Instagram, Netflix, Google Earth, Youtube, and every other worthwhile Android app that was missing. So whats the big complaint now? 10.2.1 seems to have fixed what people didnt like about BB10... Great os but no apps. Now its a great os with every app.
    For the avererage consumer, the app gap's still there.

This won't suddenly reverse BlackBerry's fortunes or erase all their mistakes.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-18-13 05:18 AM
    Thank you. I've got an Android. And an iPhone. And SEVERAL BlackBerry devices.

This awesome communication tool dropped all my email accounts last week without letting me know that it was having a nervous breakdown. Again. As it had before. So I haven't been bothered to deal with its little attacks for a whole week.

You know what has never dropped any email accounts for me? Neither any of my Android devices nor any of my iPhones. So as that awesome communication tool sat idle, my two other devices never skipped a beat.

I don't care one flying fig about a stylish device. I want a smartphone to keep my accounts running as they should...silly me....
    My Q10 keeps dropping my outlook account, my Galaxy Nexus has never done that.

Thanks to Android, I can Keep Moving.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-18-13 05:35 AM
    Yup there were no app stores. Back in 2008. But this is 2013 and I expect that my tech would have advanced.

It's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of not wanting to be bothered to have to set a romantic date with a USB cord.
    Some people like those romantic dates with USB cords, qbn. Not me; glad I'm not alone in wanting advanced tech.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-18-13 05:50 AM
    Some people like those romantic dates with USB cords, qbn. Not me; glad I'm not alone in wanting advanced tech.

Geeks United C00122408
    Who is using cables?

Sent from my Z30
    11-18-13 07:17 AM
    None of the apps I download via Amazon app store work. If anything this just makes the whole concept look ****ty.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 07:38 AM
    None of the apps I download via Amazon app store work. If anything this just makes the whole concept look ****ty.

Posted via CB10
    Ive been downloading off the googleplay website and most do work. This is a leak, just a reminder. There are going to be glitches and bugs
    11-18-13 07:40 AM
    The one part of this equation that no one seems to be talking about is, to me, the biggest part of this:

IT IS NOT BLACKBERRY'S PLACE TO DECIDE WHO CAN DOWNLOAD OR USE AN ANDROID APP. THAT IS UP TO THE APP DEVELOPERS!

So, in a few months, who's to say that Amazon and Google won't put measures in place to prevent these apps from running in the Android runtime? When a developer lists their app for sale with a particular store, they sign an agreement with the store owner with specific rights about who can sell or offer their app for download.

All of these "sideloaded" apps, (yes, even the free ones) are illegal copyright violations. This WILL NOT go unnoticed. There is a reason Blackberry is walking a thin line and being very careful about how they "advertise" this information. Until or if they get a sanctioned agreement with Google AND ALL OF THE APP DEVELOPERS, this sideloading mess is an illegal violation of every app developer's copyrights, and NO business would be foolish enough to advertise that their users should steal apps.

And before I see the oft-repeated adage "but Android is OPEN SOURCE, so it's okay"! NO. The OPERATING SYSTEM is open source. NOT the Play Store, NOT the Play Services APIs, and DEFINITELY NOT the apps.

Unless Blackberry is in negotiations with these app stores and their developers, this is a very shaky legal situation and you will see this stopped in some manner by one of the offended parties.

There's a reason Alex was quick to tweet that the "interview" by Kevin about this topic were NOT his words... they were Kevin's.
    I would like to hope that not even BBRY would be desperate enough to make a play like this without some manner of agreement from Google.. If not, then they are so far beyond panic mode.. I keep thinking about this and can't figure out for myself if I think it's more akin to a crash victim tightening up their braces and putting the work in in rehab to be able to walk again, or the same said crash victim being hooked up to life support to see if they have enough fight left to come back from their coma. Not trying to be over dramatic but these seem like some pretty desperate measures for a company to take to try and recover from their own massive blunders.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-18-13 07:45 AM
    Ive been downloading off the googleplay website and most do work. This is a leak, just a reminder. There are going to be glitches and bugs
    So you finally admit that the app gap isn't closed for the average buying public?

Just as a reminder, 98,5% aren't buying a BlackBerry and the vast majority of these 98,5% has no interest in sideloading.

Apart from it being glitchy and leaky, as long as BlackBerry doesn't strike an official deal with somebody like Amazon, to get access to their app store, the app gap will be the exact same thing it always was:
    Too big.

The whole "sideloading closes the app gap" is a joke.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 07:55 AM
    So you finally admit that the app gap isn't closed for the average buying public?

Just as a reminder, 98,5% aren't buying a BlackBerry and the vast majority of these 98,5% has no interest in sideloading.

Apart from it being glitchy and leaky, as long as BlackBerry doesn't strike an official deal with somebody like Amazon, to get access to their app store, the app gap will be the exact same thing it always was:
    Too big.

The whole "sideloading closes the app gap" is a joke.

Posted via CB10
    Finally? I have acknowledged that several times. Read more. GO through the 900 posts in this thread The purpose of this thread was not just about this particular leak, it was about the direction of Blackberry and the official 10.2.1
    11-18-13 07:56 AM
    I'm running 1055 and unfortunately when I am on a file (a picture for example) I cannot "share" it to the APK apps.
    This is what I was afraid of, and why BB10 still wouldn't be an option for me. I rely too much on being able to share information between apps. Now if one just wants to use games and other simple apps that don't require information transfer then sure, it's a great stride.

Do settings related apps still require an open active frame? For example when I downloaded a bebuzz-like app it would only work if I had an active frame open. It didn't just integrate into my settings like it would on other platforms (including OS7). That would be another deal breaker for me.
    11-18-13 08:02 AM
    Who is using cables?

Sent from my Z30
    Do you still have to use cables to install the leaked OS?
    11-18-13 08:03 AM
    Finally? I have acknowledged that several times. Read more. GO through the 900 posts in this thread The purpose of this thread was not just about this particular leak, it was about the direction of Blackberry and the official 10.2.1
    1) Then change the title, through asking a mod.
    Apparently you yourself agree that the title isn't accurate.

2) I also talked about "the general direction after the official 10.2.1".
    With no official deal between BlackBerry and another app store, the whole APK thing doesn't make one ounce of a difference.

3) No, "prosumers" don't want to mess with their devices and shady third party app stores, if they could just buy an Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:06 AM
    I am perfectly willing to accept that and would stay with BlackBerry if it had or does truly close. But it hasn't despite this new update. I've explained a million times why it hasn't closed the gap so you can read my posts... but nyway, if the current solution is satisfactory to you the. good luck with it!

Posted via CB10
    Dont expect an honest answer. I seriously believe a lot of the rampant fanboys on this site dont actually own bb10 devices.
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-18-13 08:10 AM
    Who is using cables?

Sent from my Z30
    Can't install a leaked OS without a USB cable......

Geeks United C00122408
    11-18-13 08:12 AM
1,792 ... 3334353637 ...