The top bar bothers you that much? You'd probably hate me on windows computers where I change the color scheme every time I log on to one to suit my mood. :-)

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    You really need to look more closely. There are tens if not hundreds of other UI elements that are different and unique to the OS..

In any case, if these two look similar to you, I guess it won't do any justice to continue this discussion with you.
    11-17-13 08:43 PM
    You really need to look more closely. There are tens if not hundreds of other UI elements that are different.
    And yet not so much to bother me. I think, nah, I know, switching from one device to another and using the same app isn't like I have to learn it all over again. Biggest issue I face now is I try to swipe everything. And it really buggers me that I swipe up on BB10 and down on my windows tab. Still, not like having to work so hard to accomplish every little task on android.

11-17-13 08:46 PM
    Please let's not do this...
    I'm sorry, but I just hate posts like that. I'll say most people here have been listing very good reasons behind their claims. The real trolls in these posts have honestly been people coming to this thread to bash people who have a counter argument. It is absolutely immature and pointless because they are contributing absolutely nothing to the thread. Let one person say anything negative about BlackBerry and people turn into savages.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 08:51 PM
    It is incredibly easy to download apk's from the Internet. Lots of android users do this anyways. Those who don't exclusively shop outside Google play at least dabble. This form of side loading doesn't have to be taught to everyone.

Also if developers notice increased downloads thanks to blackberry fan boys it might encourage some more ports and native development into blackberry world.

Posted via CB10
    missing_K-W and bradu1 like this.
    11-17-13 08:52 PM
    But it's irrelevant. Your point was that why side load if the Apps have Android all over it. To which I replied that the apps I use don't. Simple.

Also, I think Samsung has potential. They could do wonders without Android. (btw are they making their own OS? I've heard other people say they are. But not sure.)

"We are truly alone, the scars on your heart are yours to atone" (BBM#18)
    Samsung has their own os called Tizen. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 08:54 PM
    Just because you don't agree with those who offer a dissenting opinion doesn't mean that they are trolls.

A troll is someone who posts with the single purpose of inciting an emotional response. Disagreeing that the app gap is closed is not trolling. Pointing out potential problems with one two sites is not trolling.....if you believe it is, you have just called a moderator/network moderator a troll.
    It's actually not the first time mods have been called trolls in certain circles....all this in a troll thread declaring the app gap "gone" and asking what the "next complaint?" is.....ROFL!

What a place! ;-)
    11-17-13 08:56 PM
    Yes, because we love to complain for the sake of it. Give your head a shake. There are still problems with the os. The app gap isn't close to being closed. Scavenging sites for apk "scraps" just to download a lot of junk that doesn't work is the reality here. BlackBerry is headed in the right direction, but still not quite ready for prime time. Soon, I hope

Posted via CB10
    Waramp22 likes this.
    11-17-13 08:57 PM
    It's actually not the first time mods have been called trolls in certain circles....all this in a troll thread declaring the app gap "gone" and asking what the "next complaint?" is.....ROFL!

What a place! ;-)
    IMHO OP did not create a troll thread. It occurs to me that it may be viewed that way by some though. It has been distorted by bashing.
    11-17-13 09:01 PM
    Yes, because we love to complain for the sake of it. Give your head a shake. There are still problems with the os. The app gap isn't close to being closed. Scavenging sites for apk "scraps" just to download a lot of junk that doesn't work is the reality here. BlackBerry is headed in the right direction, but still not quite ready for prime time. Soon, I hope

Posted via CB10
    Well let's keep in mind it's just a leak. And hasn't been released officially yet. So hopefully, when it does, it'll be able to handle most or all Apks smoothly. Yes, it's going in the right direction and am really excited for it!

11-17-13 09:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Downloading the amazon app store app directly from amazon and using it as it is intended is hardly scouring the Web for apk's.

I think you're doing it wrong
    11-17-13 09:18 PM
    Downloading the amazon app store app directly from amazon and using it as it is intended is hardly scouring the Web for apk's.

Good point.

11-17-13 09:20 PM
    Well let's keep in mind it's just a leak. And hasn't been released officially yet. So hopefully, when it does, it'll be able to handle most or all Apks smoothly. Yes, it's going in the right direction and am really excited for it!

Academic question for you: do you believe that the official version will include this direct sideload functionality without an formal agreement in place?
    11-17-13 09:23 PM
    It was closed at the first 'anectdotal'.

That means you weren't willing to discuss.

When your black Friday ads come in, look at them. See how many 'no-name' tabs are out there at retailers vs Sammy and ipad. And just know, they will all sell out within hours of the stores opening.

I believe in numbers. I don't believe the ads, as what's in the ads does not necessarily mean it sells more. The ads do not automatically translate into sales.

I think you are old/smart enough to understand this. At least I hope so.
    I don't believe he knows what "anectdotal" means as he first claimed that you were in error labeling his personal experiences as anecdotal, and now claims it means you were 'willing to discuss". Of course you stating that his claims were anecdotal is, in fact, discussing his claims, and quite arguably the most important - certainly the most critical to start with - facet of the discussion.
    bekkay likes this.
    11-17-13 09:24 PM

What a place! ;-)
    It is interesting. Thunderbuck, for instance, is on the other side of the aisle from me on this. He lays his points, strongly and otherwise, without leveling accusations or name calling at forumites.

That's how it should be, IMHO. The "T" word is becoming a desperate substitute for reasoned debate.
    11-17-13 09:28 PM
    I don't believe he knows what "anectdotal" means as he first claimed that you were in error labeling his personal experiences as anecdotal, and now claims it means you were 'willing to discuss". Of course you stating that his claims were anecdotal is, in fact, discussing his claims, and quite arguably the most important - certainly the most critical to start with - facet of the discussion.
    Yes, I believe he thinks "anecdotal evidence" means "inaccurate" or "false". It may very well be accurate and true, but not representative/generalizable. Moreover, his anecdotal evidence was not quantified, which rendered it pretty useless.
    richardat likes this.
    11-17-13 09:29 PM
    Academic question for you: do you believe that the official version will include this direct sideload functionality without an formal agreement in place?
    I'll answer. Yes

Because Google Play is not the only place to get android apps. There are plenty of cheap android tablets sold everyday that doesn't have Google Play or even amazon. I know there's an odd little app store out there, is it slide? That a lot of them come with. Perhaps we'll get one of them included. Perhaps not. But an app store like Amazon does not care what device you're using, they just want to sell to you. And they're not going to turn away money. BlackBerry can include this as an added feature with no support for it in terms of app stores. We are all smart enough to type amazon.com in to our browser. And when you do and click on apps, guess what happens? It asks you to download their app store app, which works.

If you ask me, people are upset because they see one of the major complaints about BlackBerry slowly disappearing.

playbookster likes this.
    11-17-13 09:30 PM
    How is bb10 actually running android .apks? Is it through the dalvik VM, if so what will happen if Google decides to drop dalvik for ART?
    11-17-13 09:34 PM
    Good point. They may end up locking the runtime again like in the later versions of 10.2. Who knows, this whole apk install ability could be made just to entice devs to put their apps directly into BlackBerry World without even having to repackage into a bar file.
    11-17-13 09:35 PM
    I said 'weren't'. Such a stickler yet completely reversed what I said. How odd.

Tell you what, 99.9% of these threads are anecdotal evidence. If we went facts and figures only this would be a very lonely place. You for instance Richard have questioned my intelligence in several threads, yet I have never asked you to provide your I.Q. so I may compare it to mine. Instead I simply report. So if you have a problem with my statements you are referring to, simply report them. However, I can tell you that as this is my profession, I believe I have first hand knowledge to back up what I have stated.

11-17-13 09:38 PM
    I'll answer. Yes

Because Google Play is not the only place to get android apps. There are plenty of cheap android tablets sold everyday that doesn't have Google Play or even amazon. I know there's an odd little app store out there, is it slide? That a lot of them come with. Perhaps we'll get one of them included. Perhaps not. But an app store like Amazon does not care what device you're using, they just want to sell to you. And they're not going to turn away money. BlackBerry can include this as an added feature with no support for it in terms of app stores. We are all smart enough to type amazon.com in to our browser. And when you do and click on apps, guess what happens? It asks you to download their app store app, which works.

If you ask me, people are upset because they see one of the major complaints about BlackBerry slowly disappearing.

Fair points.

I think it is a band-aid on canon wound because when I thought about it after the initial "wow" moment, it seems to me that one entity is gaining from this as-is, and it isn't BB10. I use Android for daily work, but am quite cognizant of the fact that the reason Google owns 80% of the market is that it didn't. Google had to innovate in the mobile space, and to continue, competition is crucial.

I don't think this will help regular users, but I have been wrong before.

But here is what I think (pure conjecture): this will NEVER be an official release. BBRY will continue to say it is a dev build, and will continue to say it fires people for leaking stuff... UNLESS they broker some sort of agreement.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-17-13 09:43 PM
    I said 'weren't' such a stickler yet completely reversed what I said. How odd.

Tell you what, 99.9% of these threads are anecdotal evidence. If we went facts and figures only this would be a very lonely place. You for instance Richard have questioned my intelligence in several threads, yet I have never asked you to provide your I.Q. so I may compare it to mine. Instead I simply report. So if you have a problem with my statements you are referring to, simply report them. However, I can tell you that as this is my profession, I believe I have first hand knowledge to back up what I have stated.

I don't doubt you have the experience and never stated I did. However, regardless of how much experience you have, your statement is still an example of anecdotal evidence.

Anecdotal evidence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note the line that says: "This is true regardless of the veracity of individual claims"
    11-17-13 09:43 PM
    I have a question. Would a dev submitting an APK to BBworld vs a converted APK to BAR be able to manage their app just as if it were an APK on android? Would this save them the trouble of having to manage another platform?
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-17-13 09:44 PM
    Good point. They may end up locking the runtime again like in the later versions of 10.2. Who knows, this whole apk install ability could be made just to entice devs to put their apps directly into BlackBerry World without even having to repackage into a bar file.
    I think it does both; it is anoher overture at developers, and it also gives its biggest fans some relief. But I suspect any official one will be locked... but there will always be leaks.

BBRY is slick.
    11-17-13 09:45 PM

Great point, ultimately is an easier way of side loading. All of us that were side loading before now can enjoy better (though not as good as native) app experiences. It felt pretty good searching for apps in 1 Mobile and Amazon and the app actually showed up lol. While I hope this isn't a long term BB solution, its good for the side loading community.
    11-17-13 09:47 PM
    I have a question. Would a dev submitting an APK to BBworld vs a converted APK to BAR be able to manage their app just as if it were an APK on android? Would this save them the trouble of having to manage another platform?
    Hmm that's interesting. I would assume with the ability to simply load the apk without any conversion would make it literally as simple as porting an app to BB World. Support is another thing, but they should be able to push out updates and manage their app since it is "technically" running in an Android environment.
    11-17-13 09:52 PM
1,792 ... 3031323334 ...