I think for a lot of people already on BB10, it might never have existed.
    Do you know, it's funny you should say that as speaking for just myself, you are right. There's only two apps I'd like that aren't in BB World right now which were on BB7 which is Sky News and Sky Sports Centre. That's my app gap right there. That's all!

On the flip side I've downloaded LOADS of great stuff (and some rubbish!) from BB World that I wouldn't have bothered with previously that runs like a charm as it is BB10 stuff.

But, overall, would I trade an App Gap for BB10 with sod all apps? No, because in work mode it's brilliant. Not saying anything else isn't any good, just that my Z10 for work is - brilliant.

That's just me however, and in my soon to be 6 daughter I can see the need for an Android plug in as the ads come on the telly saying 'download this app' and she's just starting to ask for them on Daddys phone...

We're a BB household and I want it to stay that way so if this is what it takes, fine.
    bradu1 likes this.
    11-17-13 05:47 PM
    When your black Friday ads come in, look at them. See how many 'no-name' tabs are out there at retailers vs Sammy and ipad. And just know, they will all sell out within hours of the stores opening.
    if this post had a title it would be "while PlayBook gently weeps."
    11-17-13 05:55 PM
    Do you know, it's funny you should say that as speaking for just myself, you are right. There's only two apps I'd like that aren't in BB World right now which were on BB7 which is Sky News and Sky Sports Centre. That's my app gap right there. That's all!

On the flip side I've downloaded LOADS of great stuff (and some rubbish!) from BB World that I wouldn't have bothered with previously that runs like a charm as it is BB10 stuff.

But, overall, would I trade an App Gap for BB10 with sod all apps? No, because in work mode it's brilliant. Not saying anything else isn't any good, just that my Z10 for work is - brilliant.

That's just me however, and in my soon to be 6 daughter I can see the need for an Android plug in as the ads come on the telly saying 'download this app' and she's just starting to ask for them on Daddys phone...

We're a BB household and I want it to stay that way so if this is what it takes, fine.
    That makes sense.

Technically, I say outside iOS, every platform outside iOS has an app gap, and the closed nature of iOS evens out it's advantage in apps LOL.

If BBRY can come up with an agreement, this will be good; I'm a bit ambivalent about this development moving devices.
    bigglybobblyboo likes this.
    11-17-13 05:55 PM
    I think for a lot of people already on BB10, it might never have existed.
    *Cosigning*

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 05:59 PM
    Sorely missing BlackBerry Traffic on BB7. The ETA notification via BBM and alternate routing around traffic congestion were great.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 06:08 PM
    Look at Mac and Windows. The massive app gap has never been closed. Apple just decided to do the same, BlackBerry is playing with in a Beta version.

Most Windows games work on Macs. For the rest (games and others) they made it a dual boot system.

Just AFTER Apple became fairly successful most new apps crop up for both.

In the latest release we will be able to close this case since the APP Gap will be virtually 0

The thing which is missing most at the moment is adaptive screen use....
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...5567049-4.html

The future looks like this. I know several companies who are changing their infrastructure and are mainly using those lovely dumb screens to emulate tablets.

When OS10 can truly use those screens I will believe their mobile computing claims.

Having BBM and other stuff streamed on your notebook is something I have been craving for for years!

Combine both and you are kicking Android and Apple right back into the defense!

Tablets are dead. Dumb screens are the future. Thorsten was right.

@Brad: I know all the statistics and you are right:

You were talking about one consumer group. The problem with Market share is: When you sell a few millions to Enterprise, you have a big heads up. Acer, Asus, Sony, Toshiba, MSI.... And Samsung. All are more popular than Lenovo, HP and Dell in the consumer business, however sell just negligible amounts of laptops.... why? Business Customers. That's why.

Those "small" niche players however occupy their whole niche and the big guys have no chance to get into that segment.....

From a Notebook perspective...

Posted via CB10
    playbookster likes this.
    11-17-13 06:09 PM
    If android apps are good enough for android phones, then they are good enough for me. Although i do like how people seem to hold bb10 apps to a higher standard
    Then why don't you switch to Android where those apps will run and integrate much better?
    11-17-13 06:31 PM
    Then why don't you switch to Android where those apps will run and integrate much better?
    The awesomeness of BlackBerry 10. And the app availability of Android. (sort of) Slightly better app functionality isn't worth putting up with such a messy Os in my opinion.

"We are truly alone, the scars on your heart are yours to atone" (BBM#18)
    11-17-13 06:34 PM
    We would be stuck with the Android UI. I have used Android before as my brother has an Android device. I could just not live with the UI. It feels like a step backwards after using BB10.

This is an issue of having apps. All BlackBerry is doing is leveraging apps that are currently developed. Why is it so wrong to some to have Android app support?
    11-17-13 06:36 PM
    IMHO we should see an influx of Android apps come the official launch of 10.2.1. No more need of converting apk to bar files should give devs even more incentive to put apps in Blackberry World
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 11-17-13 at 06:58 PM.
    11-17-13 06:41 PM
    We would be stuck with the Android UI. I have used Android before as my brother has an Android device. I could just not live with the UI. It feels like a step backwards after using BB10.
    Which Android UI?

I hope you understand that Android is an OS, which may have various UI/UIX implementations OOB and is extremely customizable.
    11-17-13 06:43 PM
    Which Android UI?

I hope you understand that Android is an OS, which may have various UI/UIX implementations OOB and is extremely customizable.
    I could be wrong but I think that's what he's saying here. Best of both worlds, if you like...

As you can see if you quote the entire post.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-17-13 06:49 PM
    I could be wrong but I think that's what he's saying here. Best of both worlds, if you like...

As you can see if you quote the entire post.
    Sorry, but I can't see where he clarifies which UI he didn't like. He just said he didn't like his brother's device's UI.

It's just like me saying I didn't like my brother's car and hence all cars are ugly.
    11-17-13 06:53 PM
    It feels like a step backwards after using BB10
    This, practically verbatim, is how an iOS-using friend described BB10.

Different strokes and all. I enjoy the different UIs. I even enjoy legacy Palm... but I'm weird like that.
    11-17-13 06:55 PM
    Which Android UI?

Although there are many flavors of Android. The UI in general is something I could not live with it just doesn't appeal to me.
    11-17-13 06:56 PM
    Sorry, but I can't see where he clarifies which UI he didn't like. He just said he didn't like his brother's device's UI.

It's just like me saying I didn't like my brother's car and hence all cars are ugly.
    No, it's like saying I don't like that Yugo, so all Yugos are bad.
    Oh wait...
    :>)
    11-17-13 06:57 PM
    He stated that he has been using his brother's Android and was referring to it....

Posted via CB10
    Although there are many flavors of Android. The UI in general is something I could not live with it just doesn't appeal to me.
    Which UI? Are you referring to something specific? Because I can make my Android phone to look and behave almost like BB10.

Let me correct that then, or at least throw my thoughts on it. I don't like the os. I've tried touch wiz and plain old vanilla. Played with an HTC for about an hour, so I can't really judge, but from what I saw, I didn't like that either. There are a few 'gimmicks' in each that I like... Well, no real gimmicks in vanilla, but touch wiz has a few fun ones, and the HTC one I played with had a neat car setting, but throw all those neat gimmicks on one device, and it's still not worth using Android to me. I've spent good money on 3 separate android tablets. Won't do that again.

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    11-17-13 06:58 PM
    Wow! Way to twist words. Because I've never heard of a specific app store that Branta showed us is some strange little malware factory in China, that means I don't know about Amazon? The biggest online retailer? Oh that is cute.

Careful... I never said 1mobile is a source of malware. What I did was point out the ownership and registration details, and draw attention to the historical association between Android malware and unofficial app download sites often located in China. That's a strong hint for everyone to do their own due diligence and risk assessment before they start downloading from a site they heard about from someone they never met.
    No, it's like saying I don't like that Yugo, so all Yugos are bad.
    Oh wait...
    :>)
    I wish Yugos had this much variation in design and look:

Beautiful Android Themes, Wallpapers, and Homescreens
    Tre Lawrence likes this.

LOL.

I remember someone here saying he doesn't like Android because Android's homescreens are "too crowded."

Can't really counter that...
    bobauckland likes this.
    11-17-13 06:59 PM
    Let me correct that then, or at least throw my thoughts on it. I don't like the os. I've tried touch wiz and plain old vanilla. Played with an HTC for about an hour, so I can't really judge, but from what I saw, I didn't like that either. There are a few 'gimmicks' in each that I like... Well, no real gimmicks in vanilla, but touch wiz has a few fun ones, and the HTC one I played with had a neat car setting, but throw all those neat gimmicks on one device, and it's still not worth using Android to me. I've spent good money on 3 separate android tablets. Won't do that again.

Fair enough.

At least you specified which UIs (plural) out of the many you didn't like.
    11-17-13 07:00 PM
    Careful... I never said 1mobile is a source of malware. What I did was point out the ownership and registration details, and draw attention to the historical association between Android malware and unofficial app download sites often located in China. That's a strong hint for everyone to do their own due diligence and risk assessment before they start downloading from a site they heard about from someone they never met.
    Sorry Branta, I get so many words stuffed in my mouth sometimes they fall out... speaking of which, I reported something earlier today in another area, can you look at it or pm me please?

11-17-13 07:01 PM

This is an issue of having apps. All BlackBerry is doing is leveraging apps that are currently developed. Why is it so wrong to some to have Android app support?
    Check your PMs.

"We are truly alone, the scars on your heart are yours to atone" (BBM#18)
    11-17-13 07:01 PM
1,792 ... 2728293031 ...