Trust me, the average user does know how to install an app store on a device. About every Christmas I sell these cheap little no-name android tablets. They come with a pretty bare app store installed, no Google Play, you know the first thing these average consumers do? Install the amazon app store. I don't think you have a very good understanding of an average user. With current os's where you had to plug in to do it, I was iffy, I mean, most people in the past, with any gadgets had to plug in to a computer to set up, only recently did everything go wireless, so the thought that everyone forgot what it was like? Well, I was iffy. But going forward, saying the average user doesn't know how to install amazon app store? That's just silly.

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    So, you sell no-name tablets.

1) People who buy no-name tablets are potentially not average users. Average users normally go by established brands.

2) Even if they are "average", if they had Google Play installed, do you think they would look for another app store? Don't you think they were forced to look for a different app store?

Now, imagine the average Joe or Jane buying a BB device. They have the App World. Do you think they will go wandering on the web looking for app store APKs. Especially, when this feature is NOT officially advertised/promoted (due to its dubious nature)? Or do you think we have too many sales people enthusiastic and knowledgeable about sideloading who will educate the buyers?
    11-17-13 02:48 PM
    I need to get rid of 1mobile and scrub my system. I was cautious of which apps to download but had no idea the whole thing was from China. I hope a security wipe gets it all out
    11-17-13 02:48 PM
    It doesn't matter. It runs QNX, has Hub and "the real multitasking". It's a Blackberry. Why worry?
    Exactly - the security will take care of it ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Poirots Progeny; 11-17-13 at 03:00 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-17-13 02:49 PM
    It doesn't matter. It runs QNX, has Hub and "the real multitasking". It's a Blackberry. Why worry?
    Yep, indestructible, never failing, super efficient QNX
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-17-13 02:51 PM
    So, you sell no-name tablets.

1) People who buy no-name tablets are potentially not average users. Average users normally go by established brands.

2) If they had Google Play installed, do you think they would look for another app store? Don't you think they were forced to look for a different app store?

Now, imagine the average Joe or Jane buying a BB device. They have the App World. Do you think they will go wandering on the web looking for app store APKs. Especially, when this feature is NOT officially advertised/promoted (due to its dubious nature)? Or do you think we have too many sales people enthusiastic and knowledgeable about sideloading who will educate the buyers?
    What world do you live in? Ever heard of black Friday? You think it's ipads the people that are running out to buy cheap gifts for their 5 kids are after? No, it's Sylvania, and Emerson, and Craig. Look at our economies. The 'average consumer' is not like you or me that is going out and dropping 600 cash for a new phone. They are seeing an android tablet for 89 bucks and thinking their kids won't have to share.

Reality check, the 'typical consumer' isn't as lucky as the rest of us. There's a reason why Family Dollar is the fastest growing retailer in America while all the luxury stores are gone or on their way out.

BBSuperAbuser likes this.
    11-17-13 02:53 PM
    Like who? Who are the true BBRY fans? Who decides what a true BBRY fan is?

If you quoted specific posts, there wouldn't any confusion as to who you're chastising.
    Really? Hahaha

Posted via CB10(BBM#22) on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    11-17-13 02:54 PM
    What world do you live in? Ever heard of black Friday? You think it's ipads the people that are running out to buy cheap gifts for their 5 kids are after? No, it's Sylvania, and Emerson, and Craig. Look at our economies. The 'average consumer' is not like you or me that is going out and dropping 600 cash for a new phone. They are seeing an android tablet for 89 bucks and thinking their kids won't have to share.

Reality check, the 'typical consumer' isn't as lucky as the rest of us. There's a reason why Family Dollar is the fastest growing retailer in America while all the luxury stores are gone or on their way out.

I live in the world/country where majority of sales are by established brands. Do you not?

Here. Note this is for the world. I'd imagine, in NA, the share of "Others" is negligible:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24093213
    11-17-13 02:54 PM
    "The average user" doesn't know what sideloading is or doesn't want to mess with it. People who sideload are NOT average users.

But I can tell you one think with certainty - enterprise users DO care about possible legal ramifications.
    Good thing we aren't side loading anymore then. We are running unmodified android apps on your bb10 devices that contain an android runtime, kinda like how macs can run Windows programs.

Sent from my Z30
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-17-13 02:57 PM
    Could do this
    I think blackberry should just test all these android applications out on 1mobile and amazon store.
    Then when you search in blackberry world it offers an option to check other app stores for this app.
    And allows you to download them.

Should do this
    Just add all the APKS to blackberry world and allow users to search them and download google apk files directly through blackberry world. That means the average user would be able to find these applications much simpler. As only advanced users know how to get APK and as blackberry hasn't announced this feature yet it would be best to just integrate these services into blackberry world
    11-17-13 02:57 PM
    I need to get rid of 1mobile and scrub my system. I was cautious of which apps to download but had no idea the whole thing was from China. I hope a security wipe gets it all out
    It's interesting you want to get rid of the apps, once you know what the website is.

Why didn't you check before installing the aapps?

Please don't take my words as a critism - rather, I just want to make the point that this is precisely the kind of thing that happens when there isn't a clear paradigm.

If BlackBerry actually told you 1mobile was being curated, you would not hhave this issue.

Amazon is different. Of course.

Either way I know you know a hell of a lot about BlackBerry and know what you're doing.

How does BlackBerry sell this to the majority that don't know anything.

This facility - BlackBerry needs to open its mouth and be clear withh the who, what, why and where - or else be clear this is a dev function, and a means of trying to get devs to port (making it easier to create bar files for the bbworld).

Perhaps CB needs to get Alec on the horn again, and get a fuller, non-politic and brief answer.

So we can all settle the ambiguities, as it were.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 02:59 PM
    I never called out a mod or was responding to anybody in particular. Another poster and yourself are claiming that I did. I stated my opinion just like everybody else in this thread. I was completely unaware that I was contradicting a mod or calling one a troll. If the mod sees it that way then so be it. There are regular posters on this thread that enjoy and dramatize negatively and direct it towards true blackberry fans. Always the same players. I saw some very inflammatory bashing of "fanboys" by them on here. That would be who a troll comment would be directed towards

When I said this

Just because you don't agree with those who offer a dissenting opinion doesn't mean that they are trolls.

A troll is someone who posts with the single purpose of inciting an emotional response. Disagreeing that the app gap is closed is not trolling. Pointing out potential problems with one two sites is not trolling.....if you believe it is, you have just called a moderator/network moderator a troll.

You answered with this

So be it then.

richardat likes this.
    11-17-13 03:01 PM
    Attachment 221774
    Good investigative work. Thanks for giving us the heads up.
    I firmly believe that had it been anyone else that posted that, it would have been labeled "negative" since it implies a BBRY-ordained process may not be optimal.
    11-17-13 03:02 PM
    I live in the world/country where majority of sales are by established brands. Do you not?
    A complete misunderstanding. Look, I am a retailer, this is what I do. I'm not a clerk or a sales associate. I manage a location. I am not an electronics dealer, but like every other retailer out there, at certain times of the year, we dip in to certain categories that can make us some profit. If you're talking about profit or sales dollars of these companies, sure, no one beats an apple or Samsung. But if you think that there are more ipads sold on black Friday than these brands I posted above, I've got to laugh. I have a pallet of these machines right now. And on Saturday after thanks giving, I won't. Just like last year and the year before.

And you wanna know something funny? Last year's model of no-name tablets, came with a newer version of android than what was available on my Samsung galaxy tablet at the time.

BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-17-13 03:04 PM
    Could do this
    I think blackberry should just test all these android applications out on 1mobile and amazon store.
    Then when you search in blackberry world it offers an option to check other app stores for this app.
    And allows you to download them.

Should do this
    Just add all the APKS to blackberry world and allow users to search them and download google apk files directly through blackberry world. That means the average user would be able to find these applications much simpler. As only advanced users know how to get APK and as blackberry hasn't announced this feature yet it would be best to just integrate these services into blackberry world
    Unless a formal agreement is reached, I don't think BBRY will do this. I believe BBRY is intentionally making sure that there is a buffer between them and the non-developers that are doing this.
    Thunderbuck, JeepBB and richardat like this.
    11-17-13 03:04 PM
    It's interesting you want to get rid of the apps, once you know what the website is.

Why didn't you check before installing the aapps?

Please don't take my words as a critism - rather, I just want to make the point that this is precisely the kind of thing that happens when there isn't a clear paradigm.

If BlackBerry actually told you 1mobile was being curated, you would not hhave this issue.

Amazon is different. Of course.

Either way I know you know a hell of a lot about BlackBerry and know what you're doing.

How does BlackBerry sell this to the majority that don't know anything.

This facility - BlackBerry needs to open its mouth and be clear withh the who, what, why and where - or else be clear this is a dev function, and a means of trying to get devs to port (making it easier to create bar files for the bbworld).

Perhaps CB needs to get Alec on the horn again, and get a fuller, non-politic and brief answer.

So we can all settle the ambiguities, as it were.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry is not selling this....yet.

This is a function of a leaked software. I had never even heard of that app store until it was posted here on CB.

BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-17-13 03:07 PM
    A complete misunderstanding. Look, I am a retailer, this is what I do. I'm not a clerk or a sales associate. I manage a location. I am not an electronics dealer, but like every other retailer out there, at certain times of the year, we dip in to certain categories that can make us some profit. If you're talking about profit or sales dollars of these companies, sure, no one beats an apple or Samsung. But if you think that there are more ipads sold on black Friday than these brands I posted above, I've got to laugh. I have a pallet of these machines right now. And on Saturday after thanks giving, I won't. Just like last year and the year before.

And you wanna know something funny? Last year's model of no-name tablets, came with a newer version of android than what was available on my Samsung galaxy tablet at the time.

Oh, you are saying your anecdotal evidence is somehow more credible than the statistics produced based on actual and estimated sales.

Yeah, go on.
    bobauckland and richardat like this.
    11-17-13 03:08 PM

This is a function of a leaked software. I had never even heard of that app store until it was posted here on CB.

And you are more knowledgeable than "the average user", who is unlikely to visit CB.

You nailed this. What a twist
    richardat likes this.
    11-17-13 03:09 PM

True. It is part of the newly issued SDK.

Still - I hope there is an answer, and soon

There are plenty of sites where one can procure apps.

If this is a "thing" BlackBerry still needs to be clear on all the details.

But then, perhaps the answers will come when the os officially rolls out.

I hope.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:13 PM
    Oh, you are saying your anecdotal evidence is somehow more credible than the statistics produced based on actual and estimated sales.

Yeah, go on.
    It's funny how you say anything thing that disagrees with you is anectdotal evidence. Here's a fact. This is my profession. I know my sales figures. I know what we do. Now, I am limping all these no-names together, who know what we'll get next year, will it be Sylvania, Craig, GE, etc etc? They're all the same, and all have different sku's. So while us retailers lump them all together, the sales figures do not. However, you can continue thinking everyone shops at Best Buy instead of Walmart, and that no one would buy a cheap tablet from a grocery store, or drug store, hardware store or discount store, but sorry, you're wrong.

It's funny to me how you take the word of a cell phone sales associate as fact, yet when someone with 30 years experience as management in industries as diverse as department stores, grocery stores, drug stores, and hardware stores, all of which are major chains by the way, it's all anectdotal. Just shows how your natural bias determines what statements you'll listen to.

11-17-13 03:21 PM
    It's funny how you say anything thing that disagrees with you is anectdotal evidence. Here's a fact. This is my profession. I know my sales figures. I know what we do. Now, I am limping all these no-names together, who know what we'll get next year, will it be Sylvania, Craig, GE, etc etc? They're all the same, and all have different sku's. So while us retailers lump them all together, the sales figures do not. However, you can continue thinking everyone shops at Best Buy instead of Walmart, and that no one would buy a cheap tablet from a grocery store, or drug store, hardware store or discount store, but sorry, you're wrong.

It's funny to me how you take the word of a cell phone sales associate as fact, yet when someone with 30 years experience as management in industries as diverse as department stores, grocery stores, drug stores, and hardware stores, all of which are major chains by the way, it's all anectdotal. Just shows how your natural bias determines what statements you'll listen to.

It is anecdotal (no hard numbers/facts) evidence based on YOUR individual sales numbers (very small sample and potentially non-representative sample size).

Even if you have 130 years of sales experience is such evidence more credible than the statistics for the entire world or a country?
    richardat likes this.
    11-17-13 03:23 PM
    And you are more knowledgeable than "the average user", who is unlikely to visit CB.

You nailed this. What a twist
    At some point, sense stopped being made.

11-17-13 03:23 PM
    At some point, sense stopped being made.

You are correct. One minute we say people know everything about loading alternative app stores, another minute we confess that, if not for CB, you wouldn't know you could do that.
    richardat likes this.
    11-17-13 03:26 PM
    It is anecdotal (no hard numbers/facts) evidence based on YOUR individual sales numbers. Is it more credible than the statistics for the entire world or a country?
    First of all, I will not give you my hard numbers, as my employer would not care for that.

When you have been in the business as long as I have, you build relationships, and keep in contact with others that have moved on to other industries. But I'm done trying to discuss this with you. However, the very next time you point to a cell phone sales associate as an expert in a topic, I will refer you back to this thread. Because obviously they have no idea what their talking about as it is all anectdotal to their location.

canuckvoip likes this.
    11-17-13 03:27 PM
    First of all, I will not give you my hard numbers, as my employer would not care for that.

When you have been in the business as long as I have, you build relationships, and keep in contact with others that have moved on to other industries. But I'm done trying to discuss this with you. However, the very next time you point to a cell phone sales associate as an expert in a topic, I will refer you back to this thread. Because obviously they have no idea what their talking about as it is all anectdotal to their location.

You really don't know how statistics works, do you? You don't know what a representative sample, sample size, etc. are, right?

But, please, do show me one single verifiable evidence that no-name tablets sell more than brand name tablets. You can't. Hence, your evidence is anecdotal.

I have already provided you with the stats that show about 70% of tablets sold in the world are by the biggest 5 OEMs.
    11-17-13 03:29 PM
    My whole phone feels like the morning after not using a rubber. What have I done
    BlackBerry Guy and richardat like this.
    11-17-13 03:30 PM
1,792 ... 2526272829 ...