Best part of that interview (with Alec) was the comment "it doesn't matter, it just works" - I think that was CB K's comment though, which does make sense.

Either way, who knew a developer function could be so contentious!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-17-13 01:00 PM
    Well the OP got an answer. The trolls will continue to complain about their own perceived legalities of the Android runtime and continue to bash the fan base for using it. I have always sideloaded and will continue to utilize the Android ecosystem as long as it is available. I have always recognized that the app situation is a difficult one. WP recognizes it, as well as the Sailfish developers. I really don't think the average user gives AF what the drama trolls think on Crackberry. BlackBerry is doing what they need to survive in a consumer market. I hope to see further development and the app gap officially closed soon. Then the blackberry leadership and the Crackberry trolls can move onto correcting the next issue.

Posted via CB10(BBM#22) on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    11-17-13 01:08 PM
    Well the OP got an answer. The trolls will continue to complain about their own perceived legalities of the Android runtime and continue to bash the fan base for using it. I have always sideloaded and will continue to utilize the Android ecosystem as long as it is available. I have always recognized that the app situation is a difficult one. WP recognizes it, as well as the Sailfish developers. I really don't think the average user gives AF what the drama trolls think on Crackberry. BlackBerry is doing what they need to survive in a consumer market. I hope to see further development and the app gap officially closed soon. Then the blackberry leadership and the Crackberry trolls can move onto correcting the next issue.

Just because you don't agree with those who offer a dissenting opinion doesn't mean that they are trolls.

A troll is someone who posts with the single purpose of inciting an emotional response. Disagreeing that the app gap is closed is not trolling. Pointing out potential problems with one two sites is not trolling.....if you believe it is, you have just called a moderator/network moderator a troll.
    11-17-13 01:17 PM
    Just because you don't agree with those who offer a dissenting opinion doesn't mean that they are trolls.

A troll is someone who posts with the single purpose of inciting an emotional response. Disagreeing that the app gap is closed is not trolling. Pointing out potential problems with one two sites is not trolling.....if you believe it is, you have just called a moderator/network moderator a troll.
    So be it then.

11-17-13 01:26 PM
    So be it then.

The Moderator is not a troll.

Pointing out something that doesn't fit your world view does not make someone a troll either.

He pointed out the sketchy ownership of a website many on this forum are promoting. That is the sort of public service we need.

No harm in that.

BlackBerry should clarify - and be really clear - that this facility is for devs.

They need to be clear about the sideloading issue.

But then, with management reshuffles and the like; one would imagine this is low on the list.

Posted via CB10
    bobauckland and richardat like this.
    11-17-13 01:50 PM

I hardly think that Geoffsdad is calling Branta a troll for pointing out the origins of an app store. In fact the pages upon pages before that of people challenging others, and posting with the single purpose of inciting an emotional response are pretty dead on....I think that's what he's talking about.

So, in response to one of your earlier posts, I have in fact installed the Amazon App store on my phone. I've looked through it. I downloaded Netflix, which I already had side loaded before the latest leak, just to see how it works. I've gone through the app store, and just like when I had my android tabs, i'm not seeing anything I must have, really even anything I want. There are three apps I have side loaded, which I just loaded back up that way. The reason I put this known and trusted app store on my phone is so when people say 'you can't get apps' I can tell them, yes you can, I have BlackBerry world where I have found 99% of what I need, and I can also get Amazon App store where I can get whatever else I might someday want.

FYI, I don't want candy crush, I have iGrann, an app developed for my phone by an amazing dev, even though quite honestly, I've only opened it 3 times, Instagram seems like a silly social network to me.

So, for what it's worth, I haven't gone back on any of our previous arguments. And my Z has not dropped my e-mail, however my ipod takes about 5 minutes longer to receive email from my phone and the home button is breaking. I guess my ipod isn't ready for prime time.

#IchooseBlackberry10 (BBM#25)
    11-17-13 01:51 PM

"The average user" doesn't know what sideloading is or doesn't want to mess with it. People who sideload are NOT average users.

But I can tell you one think with certainty - enterprise users DO care about possible legal ramifications.
    11-17-13 01:55 PM
    I hardly think that Geoffsdad is calling Branta a troll for pointing out the origins of an app store. In fact the pages upon pages before that of people challenging others, and posting with the single purpose of inciting an emotional response are pretty dead on....I think that's what he's talking about.
    Which post incited an emotional response?
    11-17-13 01:56 PM
    This whole discussion is one big emotional response.

Emotional responses are bereft of rationality and objectivity (as much as a subjective being can be objective).

And there's a lot of sand...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, richardat and paper_monkey like this.
    11-17-13 02:01 PM
    "The average user" doesn't know what sideloading is or doesn't want to mess with it. People who sideload are not average users.

But I can tell you one think with certainty - enterprise users DO care about possible legal ramifications.
    Trust me, the average user does know how to install an app store on a device. About every Christmas I sell these cheap little no-name android tablets. They come with a pretty bare app store installed, no Google Play, you know the first thing these average consumers do? Install the amazon app store. I don't think you have a very good understanding of an average user. With current os's where you had to plug in to do it, I was iffy, I mean, most people in the past, with any gadgets had to plug in to a computer to set up, only recently did everything go wireless, so the thought that everyone forgot what it was like? Well, I was iffy. But going forward, saying the average user doesn't know how to install amazon app store? That's just silly.

missing_K-W likes this.
    11-17-13 02:02 PM
    Trust me, the average user does know how to install an app store on a device. About every Christmas I sell these cheap little no-name android tablets. They come with a pretty bare app store installed, no Google Play, you know the first thing these average consumers do? Install the amazon app store. I don't think you have a very good understanding of an average user. With current os's where you had to plug in to do it, I was iffy, I mean, most people in the past, with any gadgets had to plug in to a computer to set up, only recently did everything go wireless, so the thought that everyone forgot what it was like? Well, I was iffy. But going forward, saying the average user doesn't know how to install amazon app store? That's just silly.

You make a really good point.

Let's see if BlackBerry produces press releases and adverts re this point.

That should help sales.

I hope they do this quick.

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l, bekkay, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    11-17-13 02:05 PM
    Each of them. My responses ranged from boredom to ennui, sometimes with a twinge of bemusement.

Seriously, though, qbnkelt's definition of a troll, while accurate, is incomplete. She omitted the element of malice. A troll, after all, doesn't seek to incite joy or happiness. A troll wants to stir things up and make people angry, just for the sake of seeing their responses.
    richardat likes this.
    11-17-13 02:12 PM
    The Moderator is not a troll.

Pointing out something that doesn't fit your world view does not make someone a troll either.

He pointed out the sketchy ownership of a website many on this forum are promoting. That is the sort of public service we need.

No harm in that.

BlackBerry should clarify - and be really clear - that this facility is for devs.

They need to be clear about the sideloading issue.

But then, with management reshuffles and the like; one would imagine this is low on the list.

Posted via CB10
    I never called out a mod or was responding to anybody in particular. Another poster and yourself are claiming that I did. I stated my opinion just like everybody else in this thread. I was completely unaware that I was contradicting a mod or calling one a troll. If the mod sees it that way then so be it. There are regular posters on this thread that enjoy and dramatize negatively and direct it towards true blackberry fans. Always the same players. I saw some very inflammatory bashing of "fanboys" by them on here. That would be who a troll comment would be directed towards

bradu1 likes this.
    11-17-13 02:16 PM
    I never called out a mod or was responding to anybody in particular. Another poster and yourself are claiming that I did. I stated my opinion just like everybody else in this thread. I was completely unaware that I was contradicting a mod or calling one a troll. If the mod sees it that way then so be it. There are regular posters on this thread that enjoy and dramatize negatively and direct it towards true blackberry fans. Always the same players. I saw some very inflammatory bashing of "fanboys" by them on here. That would be who a troll comment would be directed towards
    Like who? Who are the true BBRY fans? Who decides what a true BBRY fan is?

If you quoted specific posts, there wouldn't any confusion as to who you're chastising.
    11-17-13 02:22 PM

I apologise for any misunderstanding and thank you for your words.

You point out the fanboys/trolls situation quite accurately.

Who can say why people want to inflame and create an argument?

Equally - what are people doing being so sickly sycophantic?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - its a public forum, afterall.

This business about positivity/negativity... what?
    Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    11-17-13 02:24 PM
    Like who? Who are the true BBRY fans? Who decides what a true BBRY fan is?

If you quoted specific posts, there wouldn't any confusion as to who you're chastising.
    Hey, I'm a true BBRY fan for reals!

I decided to be one!

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-17-13 02:26 PM
    What I would like to know is how many now rushing to "1mobile" took the time to investigate the site's ownership...
    Code:
    server:~$ whois 1mobile.com

Whois Server Version 2.0
       Domain Name: 1MOBILE.COM
       Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
       Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
       Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
       Name Server: NS37.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
       Name Server: NS38.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
       Updated Date: 30-jul-2010
       Creation Date: 21-jan-2002
       Expiration Date: 21-jan-2014

>>> Last update of whois database: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 17:18:36 UTC <<<
    The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
    Registrars.Domain Name: 1MOBILE.COM
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Updated Date: 2010-07-30 01:59:37
    Creation Date: 2002-01-21 19:25:14
    Registrar Expiration Date: 2014-01-21 19:25:14
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrant Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Registrant Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Registrant Street: Beijing
    Registrant Street: Xicheng District
    Registrant City: Beijing
    Registrant State/Province: Beijing
    Registrant Postal Code: 100040
    Registrant Country: China
    Admin Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Admin Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Admin Street: Beijing
    Admin Street: Xicheng District
    Admin City: Beijing
    Admin State/Province: Beijing
    Admin Postal Code: 100040
    Admin Country: China
    Admin Phone: +86.18611593115
    Admin Fax: +86.1059320800
    Admin Email: [email protected]
    Tech Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Tech Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Tech Street: Beijing
    Tech Street: Xicheng District
    Tech City: Beijing
    Tech State/Province: Beijing
    Tech Postal Code: 100040
    Tech Country: China
    Tech Phone: +86.18611593115
    Tech Fax: +86.1059320800
    Tech Email: [email protected]
    I just love the registrant email.

I guess most won't even care that most of the known cracked Android apps repackaged with malware came from Chines sites. They have nothing secret on their devices, and besides BlackBerry is secure... unless the unthinking user bypasses all the controls and deliberately installs software from an untrusted source. This could be one of the greatest coups of social engineering ever perpetrated.
    Incredible, a digital Trojan horse!

No Google Maps, CandyCrush, Netflix or Instagram here. And I'm not interested in either app.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-17-13 02:27 PM
    Too many apps!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 02:27 PM
    You know whats really sad.....

Android and google play get more mention and love on crackberry than BlackBerry and BlackBerry world do.

Jesse its time to cook.....
    bradu1, bekkay, Kimberella and 4 others like this.
    11-17-13 02:34 PM
    Too many apps!
    LOL. This is a logical suggestion.
    11-17-13 02:36 PM
    I apologise for any misunderstanding and thank you for your words.

You point out the fanboys/trolls situation quite accurately.

Who can say why people want to inflame and create an argument?

Equally - what are people doing being so sickly sycophantic?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - its a public forum, afterall.

This business about positivity/negativity... what?
    Posted via CB10
    The thing about the positivity/negativity, I take partial blame for that. I for one use those terms all the, but stopped because of twisting that is done. It's because we can't call people trolls anymore. So positive/negative. But those that used to be called trolls now argue that we say you can't say anything negative about BlackBerry. Which is untrue. Reasonable conversations fine, positive or negative. The piling on by specific groups which we all recognize, the bullying, the personal attacks that are very thinly veiled, just enough so that the mods don't take action. That's the 'negative'. The conversations about 'BlackBerry can't market, bb's market share is bad, bb's aren't selling' those topics may on a negative topic towards BB, but if they're actually discussed, vs attacking other members, those aren't the 'negative' postings I talk about. Those can still be positive. Until the trolls decide to be trolly.

11-17-13 02:37 PM
    The thing about the positivity/negativity, I take partial blame for that. I for one use those terms all the, but stopped because of twisting that is done. It's because we can't call people trolls anymore. So positive/negative. But those that used to be called trolls now argue that we say you can't say anything negative about BlackBerry. Which is untrue. Reasonable conversations fine, positive or negative. The piling on by specific groups which we all recognize, the bullying, the personal attacks that are very thinly veiled, just enough so that the mods don't take action. That's the 'negative'. The conversations about 'BlackBerry can't market, bb's market share is bad, bb's aren't selling' those topics may on a negative topic towards BB, but if they're actually discussed, vs attacking other members, those aren't the 'negative' postings I talk about. Those can still be positive. Until the trolls decide to be trolly.

Good points :-)

And one has to watch out for the trolls deciding to be trolley.. that's when things start to roll downhill... lol

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-17-13 02:40 PM
    Good points :-)

And one has to watch out for the trolls deciding to be trolley.. that's when things start to roll downhill... lol

Posted via CB10
    Lol! I knew it when I typed it. I just hoped no one would point it out. Maybe I should have added a -?

11-17-13 02:43 PM
    Lol! I knew it when I typed it. I just hoped no one would point it out. Maybe I should have added a -?

Sorry lol

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 02:45 PM
    What I would like to know is how many now rushing to "1mobile" took the time to investigate the site's ownership...
    Code:
    server:~$ whois 1mobile.com

Whois Server Version 2.0
       Domain Name: 1MOBILE.COM
       Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
       Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
       Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
       Updated Date: 30-jul-2010
       Creation Date: 21-jan-2002
       Expiration Date: 21-jan-2014

>>> Last update of whois database: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 17:18:36 UTC <<<
    The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
    Registrars.Domain Name: 1MOBILE.COM
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Updated Date: 2010-07-30 01:59:37
    Creation Date: 2002-01-21 19:25:14
    Registrar Expiration Date: 2014-01-21 19:25:14
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrant Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Registrant Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Registrant Street: Beijing
    Registrant Street: Xicheng District
    Registrant City: Beijing
    Registrant State/Province: Beijing
    Registrant Postal Code: 100040
    Registrant Country: China
    Admin Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Admin Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Admin Street: Beijing
    Admin Street: Xicheng District
    Admin City: Beijing
    Admin State/Province: Beijing
    Admin Postal Code: 100040
    Admin Country: China
    Admin Phone: +86.18611593115
    Admin Fax: +86.1059320800
    Admin Email: [email protected]
    Tech Name: Kunlun Kunlun
    Tech Organization: Kunlun Wanwei Keji Gufen Youxian Gongsi
    Tech Street: Beijing
    Tech Street: Xicheng District
    Tech City: Beijing
    Tech State/Province: Beijing
    Tech Postal Code: 100040
    Tech Country: China
    Tech Phone: +86.18611593115
    Tech Fax: +86.1059320800
    Tech Email: [email protected]
    I just love the registrant email.

I guess most won't even care that most of the known cracked Android apps repackaged with malware came from Chines sites. They have nothing secret on their devices, and besides BlackBerry is secure... unless the unthinking user bypasses all the controls and deliberately installs software from an untrusted source. This could be one of the greatest coups of social engineering ever perpetrated.
    It doesn't matter. It runs QNX, has Hub and "the real multitasking". It's a Blackberry. Why worry?
    So now that the App Gap is gone, whats the next complaint?-me-worry.jpg
    Good investigative work. Thanks for giving us the heads up.
    JeepBB and richardat like this.
    11-17-13 02:46 PM
1,792 ... 2425262728 ...