Why do so many BlackBerry haters read & post on Crackberry? I hate i phone but I don't go on their forums to tell them.

Posted via CB10
    If it makes you happy, I don't like iPhones as well.
    That doesn't change the fact of this thread being a joke and the thesis being completely untrue.

The app gap is still here and continues to live happily thereafter.
    There are a lot of things that BlackBerry should improve.
    And to call that "complaining" in the title, which has a rather negative connotation, is borderline offensive.

Everyone on this page has posted from a bb10 device.
    There's a difference between being a hater and being based in reality.

Posted via CB10
    So true.
    It's even in my automated signature...
    And yours. And in the one from other people...

App gap is there until they are in the app store so Mr non-techie Joe can get all the big names immediately and painlessly.

Posted via CB10
    Oh please, how can you say such a thing???
    You must own an iPhone and come to these forums just to troll us!!!!

(well, actually I agree with you)

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 04:37 AM
    This BlackBerry love is becoming a sickness.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 05:54 AM
    We are not hating BlackBerry or downsizing it, am typing this post form my Q10 (which I love).

We are simply saying that providing the Sideload of android applications is not a solution to the application gap.

I don't know why people are finding that so hard to believe.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX, JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
    11-16-13 05:58 AM
    Incredible scenes. Frothing at the mouth, eyes bloodshot with rage. Because apps are becoming available for a platform which they do not support.

Popcorn.

PS. Please humiliate yourself further, this is the interwebs after all.
    Tinomane likes this.
    11-16-13 06:52 AM
    I agree with everything you said except for the massively tinkering part. It is massive because at the moment this is a beta os that has to be loaded which could potentially brick your device. And let's be honest here. This os isn't coming to the states anytime soon (we don't even have official 10.2) so that's a large chunk of the user base not getting it until next spring if we're lucky. That's a long time in the market

Posted via CB10
    Sure, I was thinking along the lines of when 10.2.1 is officially pushed out. Should have been more clear.
    11-16-13 06:55 AM
    The App Gap is not truly gone. However, the death knell for it may be coming soon. It still takes some work to get the apps folks really want on their device. Not as much now without having to sideload, but still enough for regular folks to say "nah." I never had a problem with sideloading. It was a means to an end, and it was definitely not as complex as some of you would like to make it out to be. Yet, regular Joe and Josephine smartphone customer may not be too keen on doing such things, so I hope at some point the already easy process gets even easier. The Android Appstores help with that quite a bit. I still want these apps to go native, eventually. Maybe one day. Maybe not. At any rate, I am definitely enjoying my device on 10.2.1. I sincerely hope BlackBerry keeps on keeping on.
    11-16-13 06:57 AM
    Amazon doesn't pirate apps, if that's what you're asking. They behave like a respectable business and ask developers if they would like to put their apps in the Amazon store, with proper agreements in place, etc.

Every app in the Amazon store is there because the developers chose for it to be there. I have no problem if BlackBerry struck a deal with Amazon to make that store officially available on BB10 phones. That sounds like a fine idea, and there would be no piracy involved.
    I realize Amazon doesn't Pirate Apps and I honestly don't know much about the OHA. My question was just in reference to the article talking about whether the HTC/Amazon alliance would break their agreement and thus put them in violation. I don't have a clue, and to be honest, I don't particularly care that much about it. I have sideloaded a few apps (Google Maps, Candy Crush, TeamViewer) and feel fine ethically with what I've done. It's just not an issue for me personally, that's all.
    11-16-13 06:59 AM
    I'm a dark theme guy! I love it! But havin said that maybe dive into theme customisation, and focus on headless apps!

Both help sales a lot I believe!

Q10 driven by 10.2.1.1055
    11-16-13 07:10 AM
    They now better take releasing software updates as serious as they took the app gap. What's the point in teasing new features of a software, which we will get two years down the road. By the time we get it, it's usually outdated as there's a new one out. BlackBerry sux, people always have problems on their phones, pushing an update fast enough to restore these errors should be a priority over app gap.
    11-16-13 08:13 AM
    Just trying to read all the posts here and really feel the need to respond to people who think negatively of the advantages with direct loading of Android apps from various sources.

From an average end-user perspective, I really don't think they'll care how they get their apps as long as they can get them. Don't you think Amazon will see the advantage and make an app that connects directly to their site for easy access to apps. Heck BB if they're smart should include some of these market apps in an OS update so they get installed right to your homescreen like BBW. More sources the better. This should be a huge advantage over WP where developers have to make specific WP apps.

BB has always had Android access in mind to address putting apps on their devices.. this latest OS will well..just makes it dead nuts easy. What's wrong with that? BB is fighting for their life right now and the biggest complaint I've been hearing for a while is no apps. Now they have it and people are still complaining - but now the complaint is how the apps got there? Sheesh...
    11-16-13 08:32 AM
    My next complaint is for Blackberry to allow licensing of Swype keyboard on the BB10. I would be more than happy to pay $5. Heck, I will be happy to pay $10 to download Swype or equivalent keyboard (BBRY can take $3 of the cut, the remaining goes to Swype - win win situation for all). I'm pretty sure Swype would be happy to sell it too.

Please introduce the SWYPE keyboard!!!!!!!!!!
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-16-13 08:36 AM
    loool seriously......lol
    11-16-13 08:37 AM
    In the real world where Blackberry is long gone and hardly anyone use it anymore..I thought you all criticize Android as malware prone but now you download those malware filled apps..do they magically become safe once they are on a Blackberry?
    I really get tired of seeing this brand of argument trotted out on these forums. This works if you can point to one user who said both. It does not work when applied to a forum with millions of users...some of which who complain about security and some of which complain about a lack of apps. It is a dishonest argument.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip and Kimberella like this.
    11-16-13 08:49 AM
    Good one, I Would like to see someone answer this

Posted via CB10
    Somehow I'm not shocked that you thought that was a good one. Look up.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 08:51 AM
    Wow, this thread is long for a premise which some seem to think is completely wrong. One would think it would be easy enough to say your wrong and be done with it. The reality is there is alot of grey to the premise, and it is neither right or wrong at this point in time. I liken it to when the ipod first came out and could only be used with Macs. I never had an ipod for so long because of that...I had a device called Create I think. And then over time Apple made it so that an ipod could be used with a Windows device. I don't even think Apple highly promoted that fact (or at least I never heard it that way), but I eventually found out from a friend that this was the case and picked up an ipod. That is the type of effect you can get from this evolution in BB10. People are not going to rush out and pick up BB10 devices, but eventually they may here from a friend, "oh yah, you just need to download an Android appstore and get the apps from their with one click just like Google Play". That may result in some people rethinking their next purchase and it builds from there. So I think the title of this thread is not currently correct, but it may eventually evolve that way. And I think it is important to remember that this link between BB10 and Android will likely only get stronger over time as the software evolves, and maybe even eventually a formal relationship.
    11-16-13 08:56 AM
    Just wondering if anyone on 10.2.1 signed-up their BB10 device going through this process on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...bUvbUpU9553922

And if it successfully registered your BB10 device? If this is true or will true in the future official release, will this make purchasing from the Amazon 3rd party site legit?
    11-16-13 08:57 AM
    Somehow I'm not shocked that you thought that was a good one. Look up.

Posted via CB10
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 09:50 AM
    I think the app gap will always be present for Q devices because of the screen size but I have found most of my apps in BB World anyways, so I consider that to be a non-issue esp. when I want the keyboard. Most of the third party developers are picking up the slack nicely.

My 'complaint' is the lack of the NOC or some value-added service to tie the phone to for the end user. Installing BES for a few users is not cost efficient in my view. Android has Google search and sign-in, Apple has the iTunes store point of sale, and Microsoft has its companion services.
    11-16-13 10:24 AM
    We are not hating BlackBerry or downsizing it, am typing this post form my Q10 (which I love).

We are simply saying that providing the Sideload of android applications is not a solution to the application gap.

I don't know why people are finding that so hard to believe.

Posted via CB10
    I'm thinking that the term "sideloading" is no longer applicable to users on 10.2.1.1055 and up.
    It is a direct install like any other. You have numerous choices of source but it's just not sideloading IMHO.
    11-16-13 10:26 AM
    I'm thinking that the term "sideloading" is no longer applicable to users on 10.2.1.1055 and up.
    It is a direct install like any other. You have numerous choices of source but it's just not sideloading IMHO.
    I see your point, but if still define it as sideloading, as it involves non-native app repositories, and it is not a process meant for regular consumers (going by AS's comments).
    11-16-13 10:35 AM
    People talk about "sideloading" and often use the word "piracy" to describe it but the amusing part of this is the fact that Android handsets have been able to "sideload" APKs forever simply by clicking on them -- the OS has a switch you have to turn on in the settings to enable it, but it's right there.

So if it's so evil (from a developer perspective) why is it that Android has all these developers?

Oh, yeah, you mean it's really not evil because any developer who cares about such things can use the available frameworks to verify that a user has purchased said app before it runs, or, if they wish, develop their own framework to do so (e.g. by requiring a sign-in to their servers.)

Right.

BlackBerry finally woke up and told those whining about this to STFU, since their biggest competitor has had the same facility literally forever, and thus they're complaining about something that they have endorsed and went along with​ on that other platform.
    southlander likes this.
    11-16-13 10:38 AM
    It's a semantic debate...
    That you'll probably lose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideloading
    "When referring to Android apps, "sideloading" typically means installing an application package in APK format onto an Android device. Such packages are usually downloaded from websites other than Google Play. Sideloading of apps is only possible if the user allowed "Unknown Sources" in their Security Settings.[1]"

http://phandroid.com/2013/07/20/andr...eloading-apps/
    "What is sideloading?

?Sideloading? is just another word for installing an Android application onto your phone, from somewhere other than the Google Play Store. While this is generally a bad idea for beginners (you never know what kind of viruses you can catch on the internet), there are times when you need to test an app from a trusted developer, or even install a leaked version of something official (like a new Google Play Store, Google Maps, etc.).

Take heed. This should never be used as a way to circumvent paying for games or applications on Google Play. With Android being the most targeted mobile OS in regard to viruses and malware, stick to the Play Store if possible. This is actually one of the main reasons why Android doesn?t allow sideloading by default (but this can be turned off)."

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-16-13 10:41 AM
    People talk about "sideloading" and often use the word "piracy" to describe it but the amusing part of this is the fact that Android handsets have been able to "sideload" APKs forever simply by clicking on them -- the OS has a switch you have to turn on in the settings to enable it, but it's right there.

So if it's so evil (from a developer perspective) why is it that Android has all these developers?

Oh, yeah, you mean it's really not evil because any developer who cares about such things can use the available frameworks to verify that a user has purchased said app before it runs, or, if they wish, develop their own framework to do so (e.g. by requiring a sign-in to their servers.)

Right.

BlackBerry finally woke up and told those whining about this to STFU, since their biggest competitor has had the same facility literally forever, and thus they're complaining about something that they have endorsed and went along with​ on that other platform.
    LOL.

Sideloading, in and of itself is not piracy. Taking intellectual property without permission is.

If I sideload Whatsapp from their website, I've made use of an app as designed by the developer. If I sideload from a site that hosted the apk without permission of the developer, I feel, in essence, that this is piracy.

As it stands, some developers have no say in what platform their apps are distributors on. That's an ethical issue BBRY has surreptitiously created. But hey, it's only for developers, right?

BBRY's stance on privacy mirrors what I've said, BTW. Maybe you should be upset with BBRY?
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 11-16-13 at 11:57 AM.
    11-16-13 10:56 AM
    +1000

BINGO. You've nailed it. With 10.2.1.1055, APKs install without dodgy hacks. They just install and run. Note that part of this process involves acknowledging a lengthy disclaimer; this isn't some hole that BlackBerry accidentally left open, it's a new capability they deliberately implemented.

I don't get why some are having such a hard time grasping this; it's an OPEN SOURCE OS. Any device is "allowed" to run it in the form that it is in BB10, because BlackBerry isn't trying to certify it for Google Services.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-16-13 11:06 AM
    Just wondering if anyone on 10.2.1 signed-up their BB10 device going through this process on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...bUvbUpU9554656

And if it successfully registered your BB10 device? If this is true or will true in the future official release, will this make purchasing from the Amazon 3rd party site legit?
    Yes, this registration process works.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    11-16-13 11:07 AM
1,792 ... 1718192021 ...