I really, really hope it isn't in the official release. If they release this, it's a giant "F U" to the developer community.

This is not an app strategy. This is a jilted lover running down to the dive bar and fawning over anyone who will pay her attention. It's just sad from what was once such an awesome and respected brand.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Seems to me that it's the developers who have been saying F U to BlackBerry and their community!

Never, but Never, Question the Engineers Judgment!
    playbookster likes this.
    11-15-13 06:12 PM
    What are your thoughts about long term? Do you feel this is sustainable over time? Does it move devices?
    In sales, a key skill is "handling objections". A good sales person can handle nearly every "yeah, but..." that a customer throws at them. I think having almost all of the big name apps available in some form reduces the number of objections that many people will have. I've explained the sideloading procedure to many BB10 users (I'm a BES admin with my employer, remember), and it scares the crap out of the vast majority of them. I don't blame them, honestly, and I never felt very good about having to run Developer Mode just to load an app.

Having tried the leak, and having gone to 1mobile and downloading their store and installing a bunch more stuff off of it, I can confidently say that this is absolutely a user-friendly process, only slightly more complicated than getting apps from BB World. Yes, this is a game-changer for the platform.
    11-15-13 06:13 PM
    In sales, a key skill is "handling objections". A good sales person can handle nearly every "yeah, but..." that a customer throws at them. I think having almost all of the big name apps available in some form reduces the number of objections that many people will have. I've explained the sideloading procedure to many BB10 users (I'm a BES admin with my employer, remember), and it scares the crap out of the vast majority of them. I don't blame them, honestly, and I never felt very good about having to run Developer Mode just to load an app.

Having tried the leak, and having gone to 1mobile and downloading their store and installing a bunch more stuff off of it, I can confidently say that this is absolutely a user-friendly process, only slightly more complicated than getting apps from BB World. Yes, this is a game-changer for the platform.
    They can never advertise this to consumers because it's piracy, no app store will come pre loaded because neither they nor BlackBerry will want to troubleshoot problems that arise from running apps where they weren't meant to run, and most of the sideloaded apps are going to come from very questionable sources.
    Game changer? Really?

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l, bp3dots and paper_monkey like this.
    11-15-13 06:17 PM

Suger coating it?

Posted via CB10
    WorldwideRemix likes this.
    11-15-13 06:19 PM
    Installed Instagram, Netflix, Google Earth, Youtube, and every other worthwhile Android app that was missing. So whats the big complaint now? 10.2.1 seems to have fixed what people didnt like about BB10... Great os but no apps. Now its a great os with every app.
    So I can get all of the audobon guides and google voice or talkatone?
    El Oh freakin' El.

Is that a new term for "The Usual Suspects?"
    p

Pp

P
    P

PO
    Ll

Posted via CB10
    The process has gone from being a significant barrier to non-techie users to virtually no barrier at all; I have already walked through the process to download 1mobile with a non-tech user and I assure you it wasn't intimidating at all.
    You hit the nail on the head, you still had to walk through it with someone. That's still the problem, people want things simplified and intuitive with as little steps as possible. This is a positive for those of us that were already sideloading apps to our device. The only thing now is that its easy for us, but for people who have no idea how to sideload or even knew they could in the first place, its still a problem.To ultimately answer the thread the app gap is still not fixed .
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-15-13 06:22 PM
    Haven't seen anyone ask this question: What will BlackBerry do with their Android support if they decide to exit the handset business?

Clearly, they're moving more to software and putting a lot of time and effort into BBM cross platform (a good idea, imo).

Given their experience with Android support on BB10, what's to stop them from skinning BB10 onto Android with added security? Considering they're already supporting Android devices on the server end, it's not a stretch to speculate a BB10 skinned Android OS.

Just a thought. Plan B, perhaps.

Supporting Android on BB10 thus makes more sense long term.
    11-15-13 06:23 PM
    Wouldn't it be great if we can install iOS apps on windows phone 8, and windows phone 8 apps on android, and then keep going in circles. It's a good thing that each device has a big logo on it so that we still know what it was one day.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:23 PM
    forget instagram Ashley

Instagram fan Qbnkelt wants to go go either Google Play Store or BlackBerry world and get the app OTA and get updates OTA.

If Instagram fan Qbnkelt can do that from her device, then I stand corrected. If that is not possible, then Instagram fan Qbnkelt considers the app gap to remain firmly in place.
    The 1mobile store is OTA installs and I even already got a notification for an update for Skype OTA.
    11-15-13 06:26 PM
    Transit times for Blackberry Maps and Yelp/Urbanspoon integration on to Blackberry Maps.
    11-15-13 06:27 PM
    The 1mobile store is OTA installs and I even already got a notification for an update for Skype OTA.
    So notification updates for Android 'sideloaded' apps show up in the Hub? Sweet, if that's the case.
    11-15-13 06:28 PM
    So blackberry world and 1mobile stores on BlackBerry 10. Here's a question if I install a native app from BlackBerry world and then install the android equivalent from 1mobile, what kind of experience would I be getting?? , they unify the messaging in the hub then they segregate the application stores, sounds like someone has a strategy!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:31 PM
    So blackberry world and 1mobile stores on BlackBerry 10. Here's a question if I install a native app from BlackBerry world and then install the android equivalent from 1mobile, what kind of experience would I be getting?? , they unify the messaging in the hub then they segregate the application stores, sounds like someone has a strategy!

Posted via CB10
    Why would you install an Android port of an app if it's available native?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-15-13 06:33 PM
    The app gap is far from closed. Its terrible we even have to have a phrase to describe the situation. But here is something more troubling: the company's new flagship phone launched yesterday on the USA's largest mobile carrier. Who knew about it outside the CB folks and the internet? Who among the average smartphone customer (which are the real judges of whether the app gap is closed or not) knows about the Z30? Where was/is the marketing? Any ad (not including Verizon's website) at all? Is Monsieur Boulben in suspended animation or what ?
    11-15-13 06:36 PM
    Why would you install an Android port of an app if it's available native?
    That was the essence of my question, why bring all the android apps?,

just develop what is missing and maintain the clean experience of a harmonic system.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:37 PM
    well.....from the time I left this thread this morning to now, I went to get my car fixed and ended up getting a 2014 4WD Honda CRV in BAD GIRL RED. Talk about an impulse buy....at least it wasn't a new phone...

SO......I haven't played with the phone....I'll have to report back after reading all the owner manuals, etc....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/16/u9udazy2.jpg
    Nice
    11-15-13 06:37 PM
    So notification updates for Android 'sideloaded' apps show up in the Hub? Sweet, if that's the case.
    Yes notifications show up...although I don't know if sideload is the correct term anymore.
    11-15-13 06:39 PM
    That was the essence of my question, why bring all the android apps?,

just develop what is missing and maintain the clean experience of a harmonic system.

Posted via CB10
    The Android support was meant to fill the gap until developers made native apps.
    11-15-13 06:39 PM
    They can never advertise this to consumers because it's piracy, no app store will come pre loaded because neither they nor BlackBerry will want to troubleshoot problems that arise from running apps where they weren't meant to run, and most of the sideloaded apps are going to come from very questionable sources.
    Game changer? Really?

Posted via CB10
    Do you think the same for Jolla Sailfish and/or Tizen if/when they come out running Android apps?
    11-15-13 06:40 PM
    Yes notifications show up...although I don't know if sideload is the correct term anymore.
    Just having a term to install an app means that the gap is still there

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:40 PM
    That's why I put it in quotes.

But it's somewhere between sideloading and being able to go to an app store and download directly. Grey area.
    11-15-13 06:41 PM
    The app gap is far from closed. Its terrible we even have to have a phrase to describe the situation. But here is something more troubling: the company's new flagship phone launched yesterday on the USA's largest mobile carrier. Who knew about it outside the CB folks and the internet? Who among the average smartphone customer (which are the real judges of whether the app gap is closed or not) knows about the Z30? Where was/is the marketing? Any ad (not including Verizon's website) at all? Is Monsieur Boulben in suspended animation or what ?
    I didn't know it until I read your post.
    bbq10l and richardat like this.
    11-15-13 06:41 PM
    Do you think the same for Jolla Sailfish and/or Tizen if/when they come out running Android apps?
    Good question. Are they signatories to the Google OHA?
    11-15-13 06:43 PM
    Interesting. Seems Amazon is partnering with HTC on the Android front at the risk of being expelled from the OHA. Gasp.

If that's the case, are they Pirates as well for 'sideloading' Android apps without Google's permission?

Amazon set to launch HTC-built smartphone, reports say | Technology | theguardian.com

EXCERPT: "If HTC has worked with with Amazon to produce a "forked" version of Google's Android operating system on the phones, then it could face expulsion from the Open Handset Alliance (OHA) - a consortium of mobile phone makers and networks whose stated purpose is to "accelerate innovation in mobile and offer consumers a richer, less expensive, and better mobile experience".
    11-15-13 06:50 PM
1,792 ... 1314151617 ...