You don't have to sideload with the latest "leak". You go to most any Andorid App Store, download there app directly to your device using it's browser. Launch the App Store and then download the Android Apps directly to your device.

Not all work... but it is MUCH better than what we were have to deal with.

So I'm not going to say we have closed the app gap, nor do I expect that this will relate to huge increase in sales. There are too many other factors that standing in the way of BB10 being a success. Most notiable BlackBerry and the unknown path they plan to take.

It's essentially the same thing except you won't need a computer. But my point was that the app gap won't be closed until the apps are in BlackBerry World.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    Saiga likes this.
    11-15-13 02:51 PM
    All the prosumers (that being professional consumers and not the oldest profession in the world consumers) just love when things they rely on for business don't work out of the box. They love nothing better than a quick trip down to Honest Ed's App Emporium.

Too funny
    So cynycl

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    11-15-13 02:55 PM
    The os looks outdated!
    They should update the os with new app icons and more graphics and HD stuff!
    The things which should be there on bb10 from the start they are bringing it now through software updates! Eg. Brightness adjustable from quick settings menu, etc.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 03:00 PM
    Can hardly sideload without it.

I've just upgraded. I'm about to test getting Instagram from 1mobile as soon as the phone finishes the whole p a i n f u l l y s l ooooooooo w process of setting up. Again.

via usb

yes I'm irritated. i've lost all my patience over the last week.
    I think you may have missed one point in all the recent discussions.
    You do not need a USB cable, nor PC software to install an Android app. You do not need to convert .apk to .bar anymore either.
    Just point your phone via file manager or browser to the .apk and install it directly.
    missing_K-W and Karan Mohal like this.
    11-15-13 03:01 PM
    Hi
    Is there any way to uninstall apk apps from our devices ,without the need of chrome extension ?
    I delete them pressing the icon and after the trash ,but when I restart they appear again.
    To completely delete them I used chrome extension.
    If someone knows a way to delete them inside the device I will appreciate .
    Thanks
    11-15-13 03:02 PM
    I'm a project manager at a company that resells business-class phone systems. We carry a significant portion of today's biggest names: AVAYA, Shoretel, Verticals, Mitel, Cisco, Allworx, and a few SIP-based hosted systems. I'm sorry to report that all of these manufacturers are moving away from Blackberry, some more-so than others. If any of our partners supports Blackberry, it's only the old operating systems, OS7 and below; BB10 is not even on any of their radars. And Shoretel, for example, is moving away from Blackberry completely with their next mobile integration release, but they aren't the only manufacturer moving in this direction. AVAYA and Verticals have ceased support all together as well in their newest versions. Sad thing is, when asked about mobile integration, one of our manufacturer reps even pokes fun at Blackberry by laughing at the mention of it. But do you know the mobile platform that is getting the "we're looking into it" message from manufacturers? Windows Phone.

Here's the problem with this for BB. Employee mobility and unified communications have become a huge portion of today's business environment (as I'm sure most of you know). Some companies utilize BYOD while others enforce company-mandated device support. Every sales meeting I attend, which is a significant portion of them because I assist sales people on the technical aspects, has the customer asking about mobility options in our various phone systems. Most phone systems can now integrate unified communications directly onto the mobile phone using an app with a SIP connection; this means a company can buy a license that enables these mobile options on a cell phone instead of having to buy a desk phone for every user. This type of mobile integration is what many companies are looking for. And if the manufacturers that are selling phone systems to these companies start to drop a particular brand of phone, it's because they do not see the market supporting it. These phone systems, more often than not, have to integrate with the company's mobile device plan, so it's in the manufacturer's best interest to know exactly how the mobile device market is moving. And currently, these manufacturers do not see the market moving in BB10's favor. And even if they did, to start implementing BB10 into their phone systems would take a significant amount of time because they are currently dedicating resources to fulfill a roadmap that is laid out sometimes years in advance.

The hearts and minds aspect is not looking good for Blackberry, with or without the app gap.
    I just installed Zultys MXmobile and Mitel UCA mobile this morning after upgrading my handset last night. They both work great including softphone.
    Mitel is developing their app in HTML5 now in order to get access to more handsets/OS.
    11-15-13 03:08 PM
    There still is an app gap. Not everyone is tech savvy like most of us here so you have to keep that in mind. Lets do a quick comparison when looking at the average user:

Average User buying a BB10 device:
    Step 1) Wipe device and load a leaked operating system by extracting an autoloader from the computer and making the prerequisites were met to ensure a clean install.
    Step 2) Restore or re-setup phone
    Step 3) Search the internet to find out how to load an app store or android apps onto device
    Step 4) Install apps and enjoy

*Sidenote: Android apps may or may not be fully compatible on the operating system. Not automatic updates. UI is vastly different from the native running BB apps

Average User with Android or IOS device:
    Step 1) Go to Google Play or the Itunes App store and install the apps straight from there.

*Sidenote: Apps were built specifically for the operating system and device, thus granting the user full features, updates and full compatibility.
    11-15-13 03:18 PM

Step 1) Go to Google Play or the Itunes App store and install the apps straight from there.

*Sidenote: Apps were built specifically for the operating system and device, thus granting the user full features, updates and full compatibility.
    and support.. don't forget support from the App developer..
    11-15-13 03:22 PM
    There still is an app gap. Not everyone is tech savvy like most of us here so you have to keep that in mind. Lets do a quick comparison when looking at the average user:

Step 1) Wipe device and load a leaked operating system by extracting an autoloader from the computer and making the prerequisites were met to ensure a clean install.
    Step 3) Search the internet to find out how to load an app store or android apps onto device

*Sidenote: Android apps may or may not be fully compatible on the operating system. Not automatic updates. UI is vastly different from the native running BB apps

You hit the nail right on the head. And then the consumer will ask after seeing all that "Why would I buy a BlackBerry and have to do extra work to get the apps I want when I could buy an iPhone, Android Device, or even a Windows Phone device when I could get the apps I love almost right out of the box?"
    bbq10l and Unbiased Tech like this.
    11-15-13 03:23 PM
    If Facebook and instagram are an example then yes

No - they can't. As repeated many time including by myself a few pages back, the runtime runs in a sandbox. A cordoned off area, and BB has not made Native Facebook, Twitter, etc available. Further only a limited set of Androids own APKs are available to speak with each other. Ie even though you have Google Maps installed, any app that calls to Google Maps will fail.
    11-15-13 03:27 PM

I think we are all in agreement here,
    BlackBerry is no longer for the average user. And they know it.

11-15-13 03:36 PM
    No - they can't. As repeated many time including by myself a few pages back, the runtime runs in a sandbox. A cordoned off area, and BB has not made Native Facebook, Twitter, etc available. Further only a limited set of Androids own APKs are available to speak with each other. Ie even though you have Google Maps installed, any app that calls to Google Maps will fail.
    Sorry, no.

Access has been granted between the Android VM and the blackberry native environment for certain items. For example, even in 10.2.0 (not 10.2.1) I have the ability to share native files on my BlackBerry on Skype which is an android runtime. I also can call the native camera in Skype. The ability is there for applications to talk to each other, it's not sandbox where it can't interact with other applications. I haven't checked 10.2.1 but PLAYBOOKSTER might be right.

Also there is a native BlackBerry Facebook, Twitter application available. (Unless you meant BB has not made Facebook and Twitter available to the android application, in which it sucks because I think the ownace is on the android developer to do the api call to the native Twitter/Facebook application. - To be fair, this is how it is suppose to be).
    11-15-13 03:44 PM
    On Apple or Google, you go to the app stores, find your app, and install.

On a BBRY, you go to BBRY World, Amazon, or 1mobile, find your app, and install.

I don't have the latest leak, but from what I've read, you don't have to be a "techie" or BBRY die hard to accomplish getting your app. No pc, or usb cable needed. Will also receive updates OTA for these .apk apps just as native ones do. Might be a few minimal gaps in this info, but what major am I missing?
    11-15-13 03:46 PM

And the question is: what user are they for? I don't think they even know who their target market is. It clearly isn't this mysterious alleged "prosumer"
    bbq10l and paper_monkey like this.
    11-15-13 03:49 PM
    And on top of that, the word prosumer means nothing. It's a stupid buzz word that was created to make some CrackBerry members feel like they're better than people who use other platforms. I love BB10 and all but this prosumer crap needs to stop.
    BlackBerry doesn't waste time coming up with silly buzz words and marketing mumbo jumbo!

For the last few years, the company has been lazer-focused on leapfrogging over their competition by creating a mobile computing platform for prosumers and hyper-connected individuals who enjoy peeking and flowing throughout their day and require tools, not toys.

Wake UP! Don't you see that amateur hour will soon be over?
    11-15-13 03:53 PM
    The one part of this equation that no one seems to be talking about is, to me, the biggest part of this:

IT IS NOT BLACKBERRY'S PLACE TO DECIDE WHO CAN DOWNLOAD OR USE AN ANDROID APP. THAT IS UP TO THE APP DEVELOPERS!

So, in a few months, who's to say that Amazon and Google won't put measures in place to prevent these apps from running in the Android runtime? When a developer lists their app for sale with a particular store, they sign an agreement with the store owner with specific rights about who can sell or offer their app for download.

All of these "sideloaded" apps, (yes, even the free ones) are illegal copyright violations. This WILL NOT go unnoticed. There is a reason Blackberry is walking a thin line and being very careful about how they "advertise" this information. Until or if they get a sanctioned agreement with Google AND ALL OF THE APP DEVELOPERS, this sideloading mess is an illegal violation of every app developer's copyrights, and NO business would be foolish enough to advertise that their users should steal apps.

And before I see the oft-repeated adage "but Android is OPEN SOURCE, so it's okay"! NO. The OPERATING SYSTEM is open source. NOT the Play Store, NOT the Play Services APIs, and DEFINITELY NOT the apps.

Unless Blackberry is in negotiations with these app stores and their developers, this is a very shaky legal situation and you will see this stopped in some manner by one of the offended parties.

There's a reason Alex was quick to tweet that the "interview" by Kevin about this topic were NOT his words... they were Kevin's.
    11-15-13 03:57 PM
    I think this disconnect in perception is why folks think we are so out of touch. Ever wonder why BBRY would never advertise this supposed access to all Android apps? Coz BBRY's leadership, all past missteps notwithstanding, is not that crazy.

Y'all think that people outside this echo chamber are going to sideload apps from another platform to make their devices usable?

I honestly do not see how anyone with a straight face could say that as-is, BB10's app problem has been solved. Let's forget that up until now, some folks have strenuously denied that there has been an app problem to begin with.
    Agreed 100% with everything you said.

Not sure if Playbookster is serious or being sarcastic.

I can see the BBRY commercials now...

"App gap is no more! Wait 6-9 months for your carrier to release BB10 10.2.1 or install a stable leaked version yourself! You want Android apps? Well don't go to the official Google Play store! You can sideload .bar files or even some .apk's! If you're not sure how to sideload apps to your phone, just go online and watch a YouTube video or read an online forum and teach yourself. Or just go to an unofficial, unsupported, third party app site and viola! Yes, that's right folks, BBRY is back!"

If you're serious Playbookster then you're freakin' delusional.
    This argument is so old and worn out! The pretentious "Blackberry are tools" statement sounds like like you you don't know ANYTHING about the other OS's out there.
    bbq10l likes this.
    Sorry, no.

Access has been granted between the Android VM and the blackberry native environment for certain items. For example, even in 10.2.0 (not 10.2.1) I have the ability to share native files on my BlackBerry on Skype which is an android runtime. I also can call the native camera in Skype. The ability is there for applications to talk to each other, it's not sandbox where it can't interact with other applications. I haven't checked 10.2.1 but PLAYBOOKSTER might be right.

Also there is a native BlackBerry Facebook, Twitter application available. (Unless you meant BB has not made Facebook and Twitter available to the android application, in which it sucks because I think the ownace is on the android developer to do the api call to the native Twitter/Facebook application. - To be fair, this is how it is suppose to be).
    But Skype has been provisioned to work natively on BB10, right? It's an app that you can download via BBW. My problem was with native apps not being able to communicate with apps that I had sideloaded.
    ajst222 likes this.
    Agreed.

Not sure if OP is serious or being sarcastic.

I can see the BBRY commercials now...

"App gap is no more! Wait 6-9 months for your carrier to release BB10 10.2.1 or install a stable leaked version yourself! You want Android apps? Well don't go to the official Google Play store! You can sideload .bar files or even some .apk's! If you're not sure how to sideload apps to your phone, just go online and watch a YouTube video or read an online forum and learn yourself. Or just go to an unofficial, unsupported, third party app site and viola! Yes, that's right folks, BBRY is back!"

If you're serious then Playbookster, you're freakin' delusional.
    If that argument isn't compelling enough to get people back on BlackBerry, I don't know what will be
    11-15-13 04:00 PM

So to you, a "prosumer" is someone that can only gain access to certain features by installing various software via computer (needed to install the leaks), performing work arounds, etc? Someone that doesn't mind hanging out on a forum to learn how to use these tools, wait for the latest and greatest leaks, etc? If that's the case I'd say the Android modding community and the Apple jailbreaking community has had that segment cornered for years.
    11-15-13 04:03 PM
    I've always wondered what that "sandboxing" was referring to. So it was the "sandboxing" thing that frustrated me about sideloading apps? That's what I was really needing. I liked how easy it was to share between the native BB10 apps and I just wished I could do the same with my sideloaded apps, since the very few I ended up sideloading were crucial to my day to day activities.
    11-15-13 04:05 PM
    I have several friends who are the TARGET USER for BBRY. They are not the average user, but they are the exact target user BBRY aims for. Corporate/Enterprise managers, businessmen and women, and die hard communicators who literally spend hours and hours on their phone whether it be email or phone conversations and conference calls.

THEY are the target market BBRY is trying to be the niche "prosumer" device for.

But they are also NOT the type of user that sideloads apps, nor even knows how to do so. Furthermore they never even heard of the term "sideload" let alone interested in having to do something like that.

Get a grip man...
    11-15-13 04:07 PM
    The best part is you can run these android apps, emulated, on a device with specs from android devices 2 years ago.
    But BlackBerry isn't in a tech spec race because bb10 is awesome and because QNX!!!

Wait...
    This whole thing is so sad, a once great company now making piracy easier, and there's no way anyone with a brain can now talk up bb10 and talk down android with regard to efficiency and resource hunger. If the apps need big specs on android, the same applies when the stolen pirated apps are run emulated in bb10, prolly more so.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 04:10 PM
    If this leaked OS constitutes an end to the app gap, by that logic maybe there was never an app gap to begin with. After all, everyone could just buy an iOS or Android device to use along with their BlackBerry phone. Even that relatively unlikely scenario is probably infinitely more likely to happen than an average or even "prosumer" user finding a leaked OS, downloading it and installing it and then downloading and using a third party app store. Another thing: wasn't everyone saying that BBM for all would whet the appetite of iOs and Android users to buy a BlackBerry device? Is there some danger of the opposite happening here where people will want the real deal (like an affordable Nexus 5)?
    11-15-13 04:21 PM
1,792 ... 1011121314 ...