I think that I already understood it, but I'll ask out of courtesy:
    What did you expect with the ridiculous premise of your thread?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know. Why did Kevin say the same thing right after I made this thread? It's in his blog post with Alec saunders

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-15-13 02:25 PM
    You know, I'm really not taking about sales or new customers, this whole thread was about BlackBerry's effort to make current customers happy. Then I get completely attacked by a lack of rabid dogs who will only take doom for an answer. Perhaps some of you are in the wrong place? Maybe if you have so many complaints about BlackBerry try the official BlackBerry forums. I don't know. This place really has become almost unbearable

Oh stop. You are usually able to roll with the punches much better. You can't default to the "why are you here?" rejoinder when folks disagree with you on a web forum.

You made a pretty bold statement. You didn't qualify it with a disclaimer referencing current customers.

FWIW, it's an interesting discussion. I completely disagree with opening premise, but there have been several viewpoints that I would not have thought of on my own.
    11-15-13 02:26 PM
    I think that I already understood it, but I'll ask out of courtesy:
    What did you expect with the ridiculous premise of your thread?

Posted via CB10
    Total cultish agreement
    MarsupilamiX and bbq10l like this.
    11-15-13 02:26 PM
    Blackberry is after the prosumer market now, not sally and dave who need to be force fed apps. We are their niche market. Everyth?g we need is available to us, though it takes 1 extra step to get to it.

11-15-13 02:27 PM
    I'm still waiting for an answer to my second question. I'm not trolling I genuinely want to know. All I know is that it wasn't possible on my Z10 and it was a pain, but I have no idea if it's been fixed yet. I sold my Z10 when I was still on 10.1.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-15-13 02:29 PM
    Blackberry is after the prosumer market now, not sally and dave who need to be force fed apps. We are their niche market. Everyth?g we need is available to us, though it takes 1 extra step to get to it.

Prosumers don't need apps?
    MarsupilamiX and bbq10l like this.
    11-15-13 02:30 PM
    I'm still waiting for an answer to my second question. I'm not trolling I genuinely want to know. All I know is that it wasn't possible on my Z10 and it was a pain, but I have no idea if it's been fixed yet. I sold my Z10 when I was still on 10.1.
    Sorry what was the question again? The cb app jumps all around for me and I can't go back and read it

You know, I'm really not taking about sales or new customers, this whole thread was about BlackBerry's effort to make current customers happy. Then I get completely attacked by a lack of rabid dogs who will only take doom for an answer. Perhaps some of you are in the wrong place? Maybe if you have so many complaints about BlackBerry try the official BlackBerry forums. I don't know. This place really has become almost unbearable

I won't speak for anyone else but my frustration comes from your apparent utter lack of interest to engage in a meaningful discussion. Someone makes an observation about your assertion thata android apps are available to all and to the bitter end you are still arguing that it isn't side loading which, as I noted above, is purely a matter of semantics. You are offering a band aid solution that applies to a minimal subset of the overall existing users (not to mention any potential future users) and make it seem like my parents could pick up a BBRY tomorrow, install all of the popular apps and be happily on their way when nothing could be further from the truth.

debates, discussions and arguments all require some manner of give and take. You can't just keep repeating yourself in the face of contradiction and hope to wear everyone down, this isn't politics.
    Prosumers don't need apps?
    Never said that. Which is why they gave us better access to android apps to fill the holes

11-15-13 02:31 PM
    Sorry what was the question again? The cb app jumps all around for me and I can't go back and read it

Can Android and native apps communicate with one another? Like, can you share info across them?
    11-15-13 02:33 PM
    Never said that. Which is why they gave us better access to android apps to fill the holes

With no intent of antagonizing behaviour, I find myself musing at the designer of the Titanic's comments/thought process as his unsinkable ship was sinking. I'm sure he would have done whatever he thought necesary to plug the holes and keep it afloat but I digress..
    11-15-13 02:35 PM
    Can Android and native apps communicate with one another? Like, can you share info across them?
    If Facebook and instagram are an example then yes

11-15-13 02:36 PM
    Thank you. I've got an Android. And an iPhone. And SEVERAL BlackBerry devices.

This awesome communication tool dropped all my email accounts last week without letting me know that it was having a nervous breakdown. Again. As it had before. So I haven't been bothered to deal with its little attacks for a whole week.

You know what has never dropped any email accounts for me? Neither any of my Android devices nor any of my iPhones. So as that awesome communication tool sat idle, my two other devices never skipped a beat.

I don't care one flying fig about a stylish device. I want a smartphone to keep my accounts running as they should...silly me....
    I think we can all relate to this experience on any platform. It happens. Our brand new note 3 had a meltdown and the play store stopped working, Gmail decided not to work and the cell radio took a long nap. Five hours of tinkering later we did a full wipe and she lost everything. This is a problem that people have been experiencing since 2012 on all makes of Android devices. I had about thirty results when I plugged the error message into my search engine. It's not a BlackBerry only thing. But that being said, you can download OTA now but not from Google play. Personally I don't feel it closes the app gap but it is exciting and fun to see how much 10.2.1 has changed the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    11-15-13 02:36 PM

Other platforms aren't simply app launchers though. The OSs have grown and evolved. They've created native tools, various multitasking abilities, etc. The "prosumer" market didn't simply start existing the moment that BB said that's who they were catering to. The "prosumers" have already been out there using devices that meet and exceed their needs and expectations.
    ajst222, Saiga, look_alive and 4 others like this.
    11-15-13 02:37 PM
    You think the app gap is gone because of side loads? Please...sideloads are an excuse to the app problem and not in any way are a solution.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-15-13 02:39 PM
    If Facebook and instagram are an example then yes

You mean posting photos? So when you take a pic and click on the sharing options on that pic, you can send it to Instagram? That was one of the problems I was running into, but not with Instagram since I don't use it. I couldn't send a photo to Photobucket right after I shot it. I'd have to go into the Photobucket app first and upload it from there.
    11-15-13 02:41 PM

Oh, no, not this prosumer garbage again. Prosumers want true high-end devices, not overpriced and underspec'd ones. And they certainly don't want to hassle with having to hunt for apps from various sources, like Ed's Android Place or the Official Android Store App of Kyrgyzstan.
    11-15-13 02:43 PM
    Because they stuck to their strategy and didn't flail around.

They patiently built a catalog of native apps that fit their desired look and feel. They built high quality tools, which they delivered on time. They chose their preferred development platform, made that clear, and stuck to it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I actually don't even think it was that. It helped.

But the real reason is WP has it's ecosystem. When you use office/office 365 depend on skype and understand that the Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8/8.1 experience is similar, that gives users confidence.

Plus they have a loyal developer base that they could draw on. I belong to it, and it was easy for me to start development.

BlackBerry's development base was java developers. But there isn't really a Java option in the native/webworks realm. The android is as close as it gets, but it wasn't anything close vs the webworks option. Most developers are still pissed to this day with that option.
    app_Developer and cckgz4 like this.
    11-15-13 02:45 PM
    im a bit confused by Kevin;s editorial there or blog post or whatever you would liek to call it. i suppose at the source of my confusion is that it said he was having a convo with Alec, but yet the majority of the answers were from Kevin's POV. how does that work?

With all this talk of droid being fused into the BlackBerry platform, what does this do to the argument of Android apps having malware etc etc? Is the BB os somewhow able to bypass this? I find it pretty strange that all the pro side loaders (I agree with xanders "Sideloading V2) seem to not worry about "all the malware" that droid brings.

sort of soounds pretty desperate no? almost like they (BB) are grasping at straws. Now that Mr. Chen is in, i suppose whatever Thor set in motion is well underway, and Chen's just gotta roll with it (referring just to the 10.2.1 series of software.

I suppose this post is a bit all over the place... maybe i am, and imo, so is BlackBerry. THey have not been able to put that extra shine on their one supposedly saving grace platform (BB10), so now they are trying to cater for another ??

To the OP: The app gap is still there.
    To BB: Please close it.
    Oh, no, not this prosumer garbage again. Prosumers want true high-end devices, not overpriced and underspec'd ones. And they certainly don't want to hassle with having to hunt for apps from various sources, like Ed's Android Place or the Official Android Store App of Kyrgyzstan.

And on top of that, the word prosumer means nothing. It's a stupid buzz word that was created to make some CrackBerry members feel like they're better than people who use other platforms. I love BB10 and all but this prosumer crap needs to stop.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    You think the app gap is gone because of side loads? Please...sideloads are an excuse to the app problem and not in any way are a solution.

You don't have to sideload with the latest "leak". You go to most any Andorid App Store, download there app directly to your device using it's browser. Launch the App Store and then download the Android Apps directly to your device.

Not all work... but it is MUCH better than what we were have to deal with.

So I'm not going to say we have closed the app gap, nor do I expect that this will relate to huge increase in sales. There are too many other factors that standing in the way of BB10 being a success. Most notiable BlackBerry and the unknown path they plan to take.
    11-15-13 02:46 PM
    Other platforms aren't simply app launchers though. The OSs have grown and evolved. They've created native tools, various multitasking abilities, etc. The "prosumer" market didn't simply start existing the moment that BB said that's who they were catering to. The "prosumers" have already been out there using devices that meet and exceed their needs and expectations.
    Oh I know man. Bb10 definitely does not have mass market appeal. BlackBerry has realised d this and is trying to make the most out of the situation

11-15-13 02:47 PM
    The next complaint (which is already here) is that BB10 does not look colorful and futuristic enough.
    It doesn't though

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 02:50 PM
    With no intent of antagonizing behaviour, I find myself musing at the designer of the Titanic's comments/thought process as his unsinkable ship was sinking. I'm sure he would have done whatever he thought necesary to plug the holes and keep it afloat but I digress..
    You know, it's too bad the Internet didn't exist in 1912. You just know there'd be some White Star Line fanboys on www.TitanicRocks.com fussing at the people getting in the boats for their lack of loyalty. They'd say, "Sure, there's a little water in a few of the lower decks. Big deal. Just don't go down there if it bothers you. In the meantime, I like the way they're tilting the deck now. Makes it much easier to go forward."
    chr1sny, bbq10l, kirson and 2 others like this.
    All the prosumers (that being professional consumers and not the oldest profession in the world consumers) just love when things they rely on for business don't work out of the box. They love nothing better than a quick trip down to Honest Ed's App Emporium.

Too funny
    bbq10l likes this.
1,792 ... 910111213 ...