App Gap has closed... at least for those that are running a "leak" that might not go public on major networks like Verizon and AT&T for several months.... like next year.

Still not all apps work right now, but we can see where it "appears" BlackBerry is heading - even thought they say that they aren't.

We really don't know if this is a permanent "fix", or that there will even be BlackBerry hardware available to consumers in the near future. Wouldn't worry too much about it, just enjoy what we have for now.
    kbz1960 and look_alive like this.
    11-15-13 11:06 AM
    Always such a Debbie Downer; you alone singly almost ruin this entire awesome site, well at least the forum's, for me...
    Funny, I'm a member of the reality posse and I find her perspective to be very refreshing. She buys BB products and provides timely, well thought out, responses.
    TMSoCB, JasW, paper_monkey and 8 others like this.
    11-15-13 11:07 AM
    Attachment 221007

I can't sign in to Google so I can't even save favourites on maps
    Use the "My Places" and access them via the Starred address.
    11-15-13 11:08 AM
    It may not be gone but this is a huge step in the right direction. We are seeing the beginnings of something great. Stay tuned...

Posted via CB10
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-15-13 11:11 AM
    Use the "My Places" and access them via the Starred address.
    The next complaints will be that BlackBerry can't find them a date m

Sent from my SM-N900P using CB Forums mobile app
    mkelley65 likes this.
    11-15-13 11:11 AM
    you know what would be needed? The actual command button as you have on android devices, like the backward button..

i find myself hiding and un hiding the grey app bar too many times.

on certain apps there is no return button

It would be nice if somehow blackberry could make shortcuts of these button from the keyboard or the up/down volume buttons
    Swipe from bottom right corner in a short diagonal to the left (about a quarter of the way up the screen).

That's the back "key" when running Android apps and the bar is hidden.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    11-15-13 11:18 AM
    I can't believe you said that last sentence with a straight face. Even BlackBerry knows otherwise...

Posted via CB10
    Last sentence or last paragraph?

If your response in in regards to the sentence "BB has the core apps to attract enough customers to thrive." and its intent, I stand firmly behind that. Tens of millions of users just want core apps. Email, Facebook, messaging, etc. maybe not a couple hundred million users sure but somewhere upwards of a hundred million or more.

Some see the app to customer discussion as a chicken and egg argument. I do not. Customers, or the possibility of customers, bring the apps. Not the other way around. If it is evidence you seek, just look at WP8. They have apps that we were told required a substantial user base to get.
    11-15-13 11:20 AM
    okay, how are you installing these apps? Are you still side-loading these apps? What am I missing?
    11-15-13 11:22 AM
    okay, how are you installing these apps? Are you still side-loading these apps? What am I missing?
    this: How to install Android apps and APK files on BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 | CrackBerry.com
    11-15-13 11:29 AM
    The leaked OS allows for loading straight from the browser (I think it is the browser).
    11-15-13 11:29 AM
    The leaked OS allows for loading straight from the browser (I think it is the browser).
    Or you can download an android app store and get the apps directly from there

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    missing_K-W and Toodeurep like this.
    11-15-13 11:38 AM
    Always such a Debbie Downer; you alone singly almost ruin this entire awesome site, well at least the forum's, for me...
    Seriously? She's one of my favorite posters. Oh well, to each his own. I must warn you, though, that if you just want rainbows and butterflies, and to hear your phone being affirmed in its okayness, you're going to have to block a whole lot more people than just her.
    11-15-13 11:38 AM
    Some see the app to customer discussion as a chicken and egg argument. I do not. Customers, or the possibility of customers, bring the apps. Not the other way around. If it is evidence you seek, just look at WP8. They have apps that we were told required a substantial user base to get.
    You said it yourself. Developers will develop apps for a platform that either has a large user base, or that appears to be on its way to having a large user base. WP8 has a small but increasing user base. BlackBerry has a small and dwindling user base, and is perceived to be on its way out. Given that reality, I don't know how BlackBerry can persuade developers to develop for it.
    Creativeink72 likes this.
    11-15-13 11:43 AM
    mine did. Its connected to my coffee maker and starts making coffee from a push of a button in bed :P
    hah what kind of coffee machine are you using?
    11-15-13 11:43 AM
    Wow a simple way to side load, amazing. I have to say its much easier than developing apps for the OS in the first place.

What about security concerns?

Posted via CB10
    xandermac likes this.
    11-15-13 11:45 AM
    Having seen my family migrate to iPhone and HTC, i have considered my upgrade carefully.

Using whatsapp, dropbox, tune in radio, bible, IMO plus for olark chat boxes and one or two other apps, i have found that the Q10 is STILL by far the best phone out there. The keyboard is awesome. I have seen a marked increase in spelling errors from my family messages when switching to screen keyboards.

I love a keyboard and quality feel on my phone and there nothing close.

here's hoping that Blackberry get's their company back on track and full support to the new CEO Mr Chen.

Pierre from South Africa
    11-15-13 11:52 AM
    You're talking about the ignore list and after a record 14 posts, you just made it into mine.

Sincere question: Is there any way to "block" somebody so their posts/replies just do not visibly show up to you? Obviously not on a per message basis as that would totally defeat the purpose, but instead en masse, and in advance, to include all future (negative, depressing, often patronizing, consistently condescending, and in a master stroke of next-level annoyance, now third-person) posts?

Apologies if there is in fact some simple, well known, way to do this that I am not aware of. Thank you very much to the great majority of the community (and by the way, I do NOT think that healthy debate should be eliminated; I also would definitely not go so far as to say the recent update “closes the app gap” completely, purely because the average user needs everything simple and spoon fed, but this is certainly a huge step in the right direction from traditional “side-loading”… regardless of some opinions).

One last thing: this is nothing more than a personal opinion and most certainly not some big "attack" etc. I just want to be able to continue to browse, and very occasionally post, to the forum’s and if the above request is not possible just don’t see that being possible any longer.

Thanks again all, take care and have a great weekend!
    11-15-13 12:06 PM
    A preloaded 3rd part app store is what will solve the problem

Via theZed10
    11-15-13 12:11 PM
    Not being native will be the next complaint
    11-15-13 12:13 PM
    Or you can download an android app store and get the apps directly from there

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    What is "an android app store" app? It's certainly not THE Android app store, i.e., Google Play. Even assuming it's the Amazon App Store app you're talking about, and assuming it's functional on BB10, that's a rather second-class choice.
    11-15-13 12:14 PM
    A 3rd party app store would probably just be pirated and malicious warez. Which do seem popular here but probably not the best idea for security conscious blackberry users that mostly think the play store itself is insecure. I guess that has been conveniently overlooked by this point though.

A preloaded 3rd part app store is what will solve the problem

Via theZed10
    11-15-13 12:14 PM
    I love how the white flag of surrender turns into a victory parade on this site.

Thanks for the laughs.
    bbq10l, Terser Nori and aniym like this.
    11-15-13 12:15 PM
    And the more unknown the third-party source the better! We all know that Google is really an NSA front, so your best bet is probably sites in Russia of course.
    aniym likes this.
    11-15-13 12:17 PM
    11-15-13 12:18 PM
    BB Protect and Link need to be improved. Also, bring back BB traffic
    BB Traffic was the truth. Damn, I might dig out my 9930 just to see it again.
    11-15-13 12:21 PM
1,792 ... 56789 ...