If I have access to a million apps how is it not gone? Please advise

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    Because you can't go into BBWorld and install them now. Because ads only state available for Appstore or Google Play, and not Blackberry. because people are still side-loading. Because you still have to work around. Because you need 10.2.1 to even do it. Because 10.2.1 isn't even available yet. Because NONE OF THEM ARE NATIVE APPS! And most importantly...devs have zero interest in developing for Bberry. Good lord, you delusional folks on this site are so blind, it makes my head hurt
    KoreyTM, bbq10l, m1a1mg and 8 others like this.
    11-15-13 08:53 AM
    How's your breath during that whole situation?

Posted via CB10
    collinc93 likes this.
    11-15-13 08:53 AM
    Installed Instagram, Netflix, Google Earth, Youtube, and every other worthwhile Android app that was missing. So whats the big complaint now? 10.2.1 seems to have fixed what people didnt like about BB10... Great os but no apps. Now its a great os with every app.
    I'm a project manager at a company that resells business-class phone systems. We carry a significant portion of today's biggest names: AVAYA, Shoretel, Verticals, Mitel, Cisco, Allworx, and a few SIP-based hosted systems. I'm sorry to report that all of these manufacturers are moving away from Blackberry, some more-so than others. If any of our partners supports Blackberry, it's only the old operating systems, OS7 and below; BB10 is not even on any of their radars. And Shoretel, for example, is moving away from Blackberry completely with their next mobile integration release, but they aren't the only manufacturer moving in this direction. AVAYA and Verticals have ceased support all together as well in their newest versions. Sad thing is, when asked about mobile integration, one of our manufacturer reps even pokes fun at Blackberry by laughing at the mention of it. But do you know the mobile platform that is getting the "we're looking into it" message from manufacturers? Windows Phone.

Here's the problem with this for BB. Employee mobility and unified communications have become a huge portion of today's business environment (as I'm sure most of you know). Some companies utilize BYOD while others enforce company-mandated device support. Every sales meeting I attend, which is a significant portion of them because I assist sales people on the technical aspects, has the customer asking about mobility options in our various phone systems. Most phone systems can now integrate unified communications directly onto the mobile phone using an app with a SIP connection; this means a company can buy a license that enables these mobile options on a cell phone instead of having to buy a desk phone for every user. This type of mobile integration is what many companies are looking for. And if the manufacturers that are selling phone systems to these companies start to drop a particular brand of phone, it's because they do not see the market supporting it. These phone systems, more often than not, have to integrate with the company's mobile device plan, so it's in the manufacturer's best interest to know exactly how the mobile device market is moving. And currently, these manufacturers do not see the market moving in BB10's favor. And even if they did, to start implementing BB10 into their phone systems would take a significant amount of time because they are currently dedicating resources to fulfill a roadmap that is laid out sometimes years in advance.

The hearts and minds aspect is not looking good for Blackberry, with or without the app gap.
    11-15-13 08:54 AM
    Hi playbookster, does Viber work? calls and notifications? If yes I will install 10.2.1 straight away. Thanks.
    Even if it doesn't, you still have 999, 999 more. Get with it!
    xandermac and Saiga like this.
    11-15-13 08:54 AM
    I think this disconnect in perception is why folks think we are so out of touch. Ever wonder why BBRY would never advertise this supposed access to all Android apps? Coz BBRY's leadership, all past missteps notwithstanding, is not that crazy.

Y'all think that people outside this echo chamber are going to sideload apps from another platform to make their devices usable?

I honestly do not see how anyone with a straight face could say that as-is, BB10's app problem has been solved. Let's forget that up until now, some folks have strenuously denied that there has been an app problem to begin with.
    This makes me think of a more chilly reality, where BB will soon come out after 10.2.1's launch and say:

"Alright, we made is so you can now load Android applications... Because were abandoning devices together and focusing on a MDM strategy only. BBWorld maybe going but don't worry, Android has your back."

It's like they are preparing for the inevitable. (Ironically with this feeling anyways, I went out and bought a z30 ... lol).
    KoreyTM, look_alive and aniym like this.
    11-15-13 08:57 AM
    Until the version that allows direct install is official and on all bb10 devices the gap remains. When will this be official? Also every apps has to work as intended without error messages and features not working. Until then the gap remains.
    bbq10l, m1a1mg, menaknow and 3 others like this.
    11-15-13 08:58 AM
    If I have access to a million apps how is it not gone? Please advise

please be realistic here. android apps... not native apps.. do not run well on blackberries regardless of whether they have been sideloaded or downloaded directly. there r a lack of notification.. lack of optimisation. please download line and conduct a video call for me.. please let me know the minute you recieve a notification in the hub of when a message was sent to u.. and i expect that notification to arrive the moment someone hits enter on their device to send u the mesage..

u wont be doing any of this.. not for the million apps that exists unless they r native. android apps are not optimized for blackberries.. they lack in features and are an inadequate replacement for a lack of the app in the first place... imo thats like still not having the app at all...

the app gap is not at all closed...the other day i was looking for google maps as a solution to the native maps app cos it didnt wanna navigate for me and decided to shut itself down in the middle of the motorway where i didnt know where i was... u cant just go and download google maps cos its not there... what does one do in that situation? it makes u wanna smash ur phone cos its a piece of sh!t in that particular moment in time... my friends iphone did not falter in any way shape or form,.. so lucky i had that person with me in the car.. its things like that. u cant just go downloading the next app someone tells u about cos its not there!! and the android apps wont work to full functionality.. if they even work at all!

this is the truth about the situation blackberry are in... not ur average crackberry user.. saying oh yh but i love it and it works for me and it makes me super productive i answer 10 emails in one go.. and i dont use apps at all so i dont need any apps whatsoever, infact i uninstalled bbworld cos apps are useless to me... therefore the blacberry is the best device in the world.
    BlackBerry has tried to offer the best of both worlds and yet people still ***** and moan. First world problems continue.

BlackBerry has offered nothing. I do not have 10.2.1- and PLEASE do not suggest I download a leaked OS at my own risk of course. Therefore, I still have an app gap.

Posted via CB10
    Que the Grammer police.

Posted via CB10
    You mean "grammar."
    11-15-13 09:02 AM
    Because you're side loading, not installing native apps. Let me know when you have 1 million native apps. Again, you don't represent the average user by doing that.
    I'm not side loading. It's 10.2.1. An app is an app.

missing_K-W likes this.
    11-15-13 09:02 AM
    Very naive opinion. The more hard-core BB users get exposed to the plethora of Android apps, the more likely they will buy a Google certified android as their next device.

Other manufacturers will produce cheaper, faster, and better supported devices. Their is no reason to stick with BB now.

They are nothing but another android peddler but without official Google support. What a joke.
    11-15-13 09:04 AM
    This thread went south pretty quickly.....note to self: Dont post anything in anyway positive (percieved or not) about BB on CB
    11-15-13 09:07 AM
    BlackBerry 10 devices don't have the lagness of Android devices!!!???? Give me some REDUNDANCY!!!!!!
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-15-13 09:08 AM
    Since you asked, I consider myself part of the rest of the world.

There will always be an "app gap". Apple, Android, Windows and BB all have apps that others do not. So to say the app gap is gone is just wrong.

BB has (and has always had) the core apps to attract enough customers to thrive. Apps won't save BB as we knew it, maybe nothing will. The only real hope is customers.
    I can't believe you said that last sentence with a straight face. Even BlackBerry knows otherwise...

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 09:13 AM
    Very naive opinion. The more hard-core BB users get exposed to the plethora of Android apps, the more likely they will buy a Google certified android as their next device.

Other manufacturers will produce cheaper, faster, and better supported devices. Their is no reason to stick with BB now.

They are nothing but another android peddler but without official Google support. What a joke.
    Sure naive, and I'm sure if they wouldn't do this you would complain that you can't have instagram or netflix on bb10... They can't satisfy everyone, and they can't make developper to start developping for them, what else do you want them to do ? android is open source and free to use (not talking about google services) so it was the best way to be competitive with apps. You would prefer that they just ignored the app issue ? A lot of developper already know how to program android (look at the amount of app there is) so for us, developper, we don't need to learn other apis to share our apps with the bb community (a win win).

One thing good about this is that we don't need any anti virus or malware remover on our device, those thing (virus) does not work on our device (not yet anyway), I'm just hopping they don't allow headless app with android (or a way to choose what can be run headless).
    11-15-13 09:13 AM
    So now that the App Gap is gone, whats the next complaint?-img_20131578.png
    get the notification to update in the hub download IG from the 1mobile store it works like google play

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055
    11-15-13 09:15 AM
    I've looked all over Verizon and no 10.2.1. Hell, there is no 10.2.anything. How does this help a Verizon employee, who doesn't actually hate BB, sell a phone today? It doesn't. It's a method for fans to work around the shortcomings of their "great" phone.

Until Google developers get pissed and figure out how to stop app piracy.
    bbq10l, h20work, kbz1960 and 4 others like this.
    11-15-13 09:16 AM
    Sure naive, and I'm sure if they wouldn't do this you would complain that you can't have instagram or netflix on bb10... They can't satisfy everyone, and they can't make developper to start developping for them, what else do you want them to do ? android is open source and free to use (not talking about google services) so it was the best way to be competitive with apps. You would prefer that they just ignored the app issue ? A lot of developper already know how to program android (look at the amount of app there is) so for us, developper, we don't need to learn other apis to share our apps with the bb community (a win win).

One thing good about this is that we don't need any anti virus or malware remover on our device, those thing (virus) does not work on our device (not yet anyway), I'm just hopping they don't allow headless app with android (or a way to choose what can be run headless).
    Also, for everyone who loves the BB10 experience this is the best thing that could happen. I hate the Android experience but need the apps. So this cross breed of having the best OS and access to all Android apps is a massive step in the right direction.

Those that will get persuaded to move to Android because of Android apps are likely to already be on android and thus this is irrelevant. But there are a lot of users who want the apps and want the BB10 OS.
    gogogamera likes this.
    11-15-13 09:19 AM
    It seems some people are confused about 2.1. You do not need USB cables, you do not need to side load or convert. You simply download the app from an app store or from the browser. It's quite simple

southlander and bradu1 like this.
    11-15-13 09:21 AM
    It's not just the availability of existing Android apps, but the enhanced tools for the developers to bring a ported version to Blackberry World. A few minor tweaks and they have access to 10million new users
    11-15-13 09:21 AM
    True, android Os does feel like a compromise. I couldn't bring myself to deal with that Os and ecosystem directly when I picked out my new phone a week ago.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 09:22 AM
    It seems some people are confused about 2.1. You do not need USB cables, you do not need to side load or convert. You simply download the app from an app store or from the browser. It's quite simple

and after you download the store
    you can download the apps direct within the appstore
    Amazon store 1mobile store blackmart store confirm work

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055
    11-15-13 09:22 AM
    It's not just the availability of existing Android apps, but the enhanced tools for the developers to bring a ported version to Blackberry World. A few minor tweaks and they have access to 10million new users
    Please provide some evidence for the 10 million bit.
    11-15-13 09:23 AM
    The one thing that really bothers me about BB 10 is the holster profiles, the inability to edit time shift pic AFTER they're taken and making them into a .gif maybe ? Other than that I'm a happy camper
    11-15-13 09:23 AM
    No clue. It's happened twice this month. I've got a new SIM and I just uploaded 1055.

We'll see how this goes. Frankly I'm in a dark dark dark place at the moment, as far as my Z.
    Take your SIM out, put your Z10 back in time out and let it sit there a while longer.. No sense letting a wee magic box get the better of you (now if only I could take my own advice when dealing with my devices..)
    11-15-13 09:26 AM
1,792 ... 23456 ...