Ah. You just put everything down too, because you've all but said the SAME thing I did, no?

Doesn't sound like your believe the app battle had been won either?
    Not really, I said that's it not a victory lap but it's a step in right direction....Thats what it is.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 08:25 AM
    I think once 10.2.1 is official we can say the app gap is closed. Yes it's not as easy as going to app world or Google play but it's still just a few clicks away. Once the public sees that bb10 users have the "needed apps" I'm sure people can download another app (1mobile) in order to have the apps they want.
    I dunno call me optimistic but this is Def a move in the right direction. Only other improvement would to actually bring the play store which I personally think is in the works for the future. Let's face it developers will never develop the newest apps for bb10 in the foreseeable future. Bbry cannot rely on developers to save them bbry has to make moves to bring the apps to us and I think that's what they are doing.

SGN3--->5S----> z30. CB10
    11-15-13 08:26 AM
    no back button? no double tapping? mmm too easy to access messages? no excuse for typos?
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    11-15-13 08:27 AM
    How about the apps aren't designed for bb10? Or maybe they don't function as intended to? Or they are laggy? The new functionality is great but it's still not the same as having native apps.

That being said last night I went crazy like a maniac downloading android apps lol
    You're kidding, right?

Seriously, how many of you have tried/used a large amount of android apps? I can't tell you how many times I've seen "Unfortunately, XXX has an error and is forced to close" or "XXX is not available for your version" (especially after upgrade - it was available on 2.x but not on 4.x? Seriously?)

The whole "number of apps" bs is just that... bs. People have bought into it, and its a crock. You can get 99% of stuff done through a browser anyway. What is really important is that the apps work and work well. BB approved ones seem to do that better than my luck with android devices (and yes, I've had half a dozen droids so far...)

BB seems to be in line with iOS for that side of it... now if they would just get an upgraded tablet out and a cheaper bottom end, excuse me, "entry level" unit out there... bang zoom.

The only app I kinda sorta miss is Drudge Report, but since I can read it directly from the browser, who cares?
    John Pawling likes this.
    11-15-13 08:28 AM
    no back button? no double tapping? mmm too easy to access messages? no excuse for typos?
    Que the Grammer police.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 08:30 AM
    well, its not gone... yet... 10.2.1 is NOT YET official
    I have a feeling that when it released, it will have the google play store and will integrate better into the running framework so we can set android apps as defaults, and have the BB OS treat the android apps as if they were native
    11-15-13 08:31 AM
    Not really, I said that's it not a victory lap but it's a step in right direction....Thats what it is.

Posted via CB10
    So you don't believe the app gap is vanquished? That's my point, and that seems to be viewed unfavorably.

I could discuss it being a step in the right direction, but that's a discussion for another thread.
    kbz1960, h20work and techvisor like this.
    11-15-13 08:33 AM
    Thank you. I've got an Android. And an iPhone. And SEVERAL BlackBerry devices.

This awesome communication tool dropped all my email accounts last week without letting me know that it was having a nervous breakdown. Again. As it had before. So I haven't been bothered to deal with its little attacks for a whole week.

You know what has never dropped any email accounts for me? Neither any of my Android devices nor any of my iPhones. So as that awesome communication tool sat idle, my two other devices never skipped a beat.

I don't care one flying fig about a stylish device. I want a smartphone to keep my accounts running as they should...silly me....
    Any idea what may have caused this..? My wife has mentioned on a couple of occasions that her Z10 loses her credentials and she has to reenter her passwords for her e-mail accounts but it has yet to panic to that degree and drop the accounts (That pleasure is reserved for my curve). I suspect it's more a glitch with the access portel my carrier has allowing me to manage my e-mail account options on their BES since I used it to do a device swap and every time logging back in since then it continually asks me for my PIN and IMEI and the online billing/account information/support site doesn't indicate what model of phone I have. I haven't done anything about it as of yet but I will likely save it as a bargaining chip for my (hopefully soon) upgrade to a Z30.
    Yup there were no app stores. Back in 2008. But this is 2013 and I expect that my tech would have advanced.

It's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of not wanting to be bothered to have to set a romantic date with a USB cord.
    Why do you need a USB cord?

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    missing_K-W likes this.
    City guides aren't apps, so the number is approximately 1,050,000 apps. Now other than the few hundred users here with BB10 phones already, how many consumers and carrier sales reps know anything about possible Android app access?
    Until we can see a BB10 phone in a carrier display running Netflix or Instagram, like the competition, BlackBerry can't claim anything to consumers

Posted via CB10
    Go to a new city... the first thing I do is download a City Guide.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    11-15-13 08:34 AM
    Nah... fun discussion LOL. No offense taken; I know you're open to good debate.
    Oh us regulars know each other well.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-15-13 08:35 AM
    Why do you need a USB cord?

Can hardly sideload without it.

I've just upgraded. I'm about to test getting Instagram from 1mobile as soon as the phone finishes the whole p a i n f u l l y s l ooooooooo w process of setting up. Again.

via usb

yes I'm irritated. i've lost all my patience over the last week.
    Terser Nori likes this.
    11-15-13 08:38 AM
    Thank you. I've got an Android. And an iPhone. And SEVERAL BlackBerry devices.

This awesome communication tool dropped all my email accounts last week without letting me know that it was having a nervous breakdown. Again. As it had before. So I haven't been bothered to deal with its little attacks for a whole week.

You know what has never dropped any email accounts for me? Neither any of my Android devices nor any of my iPhones. So as that awesome communication tool sat idle, my two other devices never skipped a beat.

I don't care one flying fig about a stylish device. I want a smartphone to keep my accounts running as they should...silly me....

I'm so sorry you've had problems. I've had nothing but good experiences from my Z10! Much as I loved my old 9810, it didn't work as smoothly as the z10 does for me. The Internet access was hit and miss and very slow. I use an ipod touch mostly for credit card processing and have tried a number of the apps and games. Not really impressed with the performance of the ipod touch. My daughter swears by her iphone4, but it is slow compared to my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 08:38 AM
    Any idea what may have caused this..? My wife has mentioned on a couple of occasions that her Z10 loses her credentials and she has to reenter her passwords for her e-mail accounts but it has yet to panic to that degree and drop the accounts (That pleasure is reserved for my curve). I suspect it's more a glitch with the access portel my carrier has allowing me to manage my e-mail account options on their BES since I used it to do a device swap and every time logging back in since then it continually asks me for my PIN and IMEI and the online billing/account information/support site doesn't indicate what model of phone I have. I haven't done anything about it as of yet but I will likely save it as a bargaining chip for my (hopefully soon) upgrade to a Z30.
    No clue. It's happened twice this month. I've got a new SIM and I just uploaded 1055.

We'll see how this goes. Frankly I'm in a dark dark dark place at the moment, as far as my Z.
    11-15-13 08:40 AM
    Can hardly sideload without it.

I've just upgraded. I'm about to test getting Instagram from 1mobile as soon as the phone finishes the whole p a i n f u l l y s l ooooooooo w process of setting up. Again.

via usb

yes I'm irritated. i've lost all my patience over the last week.
    And we weren't talking about side loading. You don't need to anymore. Yes just get your android apps from 1mobile. Download and install. Netflix, instagram, Google earth etc, they all work perfectly in the new runtime

11-15-13 08:40 AM
    I'm so sorry you've had problems. I've had nothing but good experiences from my Z10! Much as I loved my old 9810, it didn't work as smoothly as the z10 does for me. The Internet access was hit and miss and very slow. I use an ipod touch mostly for credit card processing and have tried a number of the apps and games. Not really impressed with the performance of the ipod touch. My daughter swears by her iphone4, but it is slow compared to my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    I'm so sorry. Please accept my apologies if I took a bite out of you. It was uncalled for, you didn't deserve it, I should have held my tongue, and I regret it.

I'm just REALLY FRUSTRATED at the moment and should not have even touched my Z for a few more days.
    kbz1960 and aussie99 like this.
    11-15-13 08:41 AM
    So I'm sure all the non technical folks can download everything from BlackBerry World...app gap still exist...close thread

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    11-15-13 08:41 AM
    Oh stop bringing facts into it.

Still need to sideload.

App gap is still firmly in place.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    qbnkelt, no need to sideload, just as was before Blackberry World download the apk and install it no usb required, but my guess is that Blackberry will post this apk in Blackberry World, well tell the developers to use the store for the apk's without conversion, the fact that you may install another store like amazon or 1mobile, etc., is an additional thing, I don't think Blackberry will open the runtime and kill their store I'm sure they have some plan around this to monetize the unlocked runtime.

I myself would like to see these apk in the Blackberry World, but can't deny that I will try the other stores also, but in the long run I would like to see native development for Blackberry, for now this is good because you can have the best of the two worlds, for me the hub and overall UI of BB10 and the apps of Android.
    11-15-13 08:42 AM
    the app gap is not gone. these die hard, take their blackberrys to the grave fans are deluded
    11-15-13 08:42 AM
    the app gap is not gone. these die hard, take their blackberrys to the grave fans are deluded
    If I have access to a million apps how is it not gone? Please advise

missing_K-W likes this.
    11-15-13 08:43 AM
    No clue. It's happened twice this month. I've got a new SIM and I just uploaded 1055.

We'll see how this goes. Frankly I'm in a dark dark dark place at the moment, as far as my Z.
    This has happened to me only with my Yahoo account but this also happens in my PC with MS Outlook so in my case I guess is not the phone, all other accounts work fine but I've heard that this is happening to a lot of people.
    11-15-13 08:46 AM
    Installed Instagram, Netflix, Google Earth, Youtube, and every other worthwhile Android app that was missing. So whats the big complaint now? 10.2.1 seems to have fixed what people didnt like about BB10... Great os but no apps. Now its a great os with every app.

If you're side loading, you don't represent the average user. Let me know when you get the native BB versions.
    harlemsfinest27 and bbq10l like this.
    11-15-13 08:48 AM
    If I have access to a million apps how is it not gone? Please advise

Because you're side loading, not installing native apps. Let me know when you have 1 million native apps. Again, you don't represent the average user by doing that.
    11-15-13 08:49 AM
    Yup there were no app stores. Back in 2008. But this is 2013 and I expect that my tech would have advanced.

It's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of not wanting to be bothered to have to set a romantic date with a USB cord.
    Stores I think are something created to monopolize the monetizing of the app sales, in windows PC there never was a store and we all were fine with it, I don't really understand why a store is so important with mobile when we have been buying and/or downloading apps in PC for decades openly and freely.
    missing_K-W and spike12 like this.
    11-15-13 08:49 AM
    Hi playbookster, does Viber work? calls and notifications? If yes I will install 10.2.1 straight away. Thanks.

Hey ashley. Get all your apps from 1mobile. She's a big girl, it's not so hard

11-15-13 08:52 AM
1,792 12345 ...