Home CrackBerry Q&A > General BlackBerry News, Discussion & Rumors

So KM bought CrackBerry back...is it dead now?

Asked: May 29 2022 | 5:20 am EDT 31597 Views 346 Answers

I've been popping in on the site since Kevin announced he purchased it back in January. Since then, after a lot of big proclamations, its been a complete ghost town. Is anything happening or has Kevin just decided that there isn't enough left in the scrap heap here to actually do anything with this site anymore.

I say this with affection as I've always loved CrackBerry, but my god its been a graveyard since Kevin announced he was taking it back over. Anyone have any insights here? Kevin has been mostly silent on it.

More Answers

May 29 2022 | 12:52 pm EDT Yamahammer

I've been popping in on the site since Kevin announced he purchased it back in January. Since then, after a lot of big proclamations, its been a complete ghost town. Is anything happening or has Kevin just decided that there isn't enough left in the scrap heap here to actually do anything with this site anymore.

I say this with affection as I've always loved CrackBerry, but my god its been a graveyard since Kevin announced he was taking it back over. Anyone have any insights here? Kevin has been mostly silent on it.
We can only go back and read what he wrote. He stated that Crackberry 2.0 would probably take most of the year to implement and find it's way. It will not be centered around Blackberry but promises to leave a portal to visit these old forums. Yes I would think that the current forums would become a managed scrap heap.

So keeping yer pants on in the meantime is all we can do until he speaks.

May 29 2022 | 3:15 pm EDT Matty

I'll leave this saying here. "Good things, come to those who wait"

as Kevin stated in his previous posts, there is a much bigger vision for Crackberry that goes beyond Blackberry (obviously). I'm sure Kevin is looking for staff and contributors to get a locked and loaded team ready to begin.

If we don't hear anything before the end of July then we can get worried but for now, just enjoy the quite time because im sure by the end of 2022 there will be much to discuss here!

May 29 2022 | 8:06 pm EDT Emaderton3

I like how everyone is so patient but rakes SES under the coals.

May 29 2022 | 8:14 pm EDT Yamahammer

I like how everyone is so patient but rakes SES under the coals.
Well we haven't been waiting for 2 1/2 years for Kevin to drop the concept?? Perhaps?? Don't be silly.

May 29 2022 | 8:23 pm EDT Emaderton3

Well we haven't been waiting for 2 1/2 years for Kevin to drop the concept?? Perhaps?? Don't be silly.
SES is some person on his college dorm. Kevin is a different league. Be nice to get an update.

May 30 2022 | 1:46 am EDT EdMinghuang

If Crackberry 2.0 is still about the antique BlackBerry s then it's pulling a dead horse and he had better burned his money elsewhere.

May 30 2022 | 4:21 am EDT Rootbrian

If Crackberry 2.0 is still about the antique BlackBerry s then it's pulling a dead horse and he had better burned his money elsewhere.
It's beyond BlackBerry.

May 31 2022 | 10:37 am EDT darkbull

Crackberry 2.0 is the new Onward mobility 😂

Jokes aside. Things can take time. I'm sure Kevin will pull out something cool. new podcast to keep us waiting would be nice too.

Jun 03 2022 | 3:58 am EDT donnation

I get that these things take time, and that isn't what I'm talking about. What I find odd is that there is ZERO discussion surrounding it. Not in his twitter, not in here. He hasn't posted an update since February. Seems like there would at least be some type of discussion surrounding it.

Jun 03 2022 | 6:45 am EDT donnation

Those in the VIP club might know more.
I'm in it, and there hasn't been a peep.

Jun 03 2022 | 8:18 am EDT Ph1llip

I'm in it, and there hasn't been a peep.
...it hasn't been a "graveyard" at all, all the regulars still post (Conite, Chuck, Dunt, Jeep, Yammers etc.) and there are threads going. You're conflating the lack of BlackBerry news with the activity on these forums perhaps? Be that as it may, I'm sure something's in the works, CBK owns the site and will do as and when he pleases. We're along for the ride which isn't costing us by the way.

Jun 03 2022 | 12:11 pm EDT donnation

...it hasn't been a "graveyard" at all, all the regulars still post (Conite, Chuck, Dunt, Jeep, Yammers etc.) and there are threads going. You're conflating the lack of BlackBerry news with the activity on these forums perhaps? Be that as it may, I'm sure something's in the works, CBK owns the site and will do as and when he pleases. We're along for the ride which isn't costing us by the way.
Graveyard in the sense that Kevin hasn't said anything since February, which I was pretty clear on. And I was just asking.

Jun 07 2022 | 10:18 am EDT Yamahammer

I had a short exchange with CBK and yes he is very busy right now and is hoping that everyone is enjoying the continued existence of the Forum's in the meantime. Patience....

No sneak peeks...

Jun 07 2022 | 6:23 pm EDT bakron1

For myself, I have been here since the beginning and I am in for the long haul. I know I am not at active as I used to be, but it’s been a long year for me personally.

I look forward to what Kevin is going to do with CB 2.0, I know good things take time and I for one are willing to wait.

Jun 07 2022 | 8:10 pm EDT Emaderton3

Can we be a bit patient? Not like we are waiting for a new phone or attachable keyboard

Jun 08 2022 | 4:36 am EDT EdMinghuang

But an update how things are or show up in the comments once a month shouldn't be a problem.

Jun 08 2022 | 7:12 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

But an update how things are or show up in the comments once a month shouldn't be a problem.
Especially when in one of the comments back in January he said it would just be a few months.

You know how you buy a old house that needs some fixing up, and all your friends are excited for you and offer to help.... then a month later and it's yours and you need to get started... and everyone is busy. You start digging into the walls and it soon turns into a much bigger job and expense than you thought.

Much like with OM, I don't see a point in not building on the excitement and keeping engaged with users.

Jun 08 2022 | 7:53 am EDT Phillip st

Would really get the crowd going if the onward mobility (rejected) designs and prototypes were leaked out.

Jun 08 2022 | 8:45 am EDT Chuck Finley69

Would really get the crowd going if the onward mobility (rejected) designs and prototypes were leaked out.
I believe you’ve seen them somewhere in this very thread, or at least the same comparable for posterity sake

Jun 08 2022 | 9:05 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

I believe you’ve seen them somewhere in this very thread, or at least the same comparable for posterity sake
Those paper napkins sketches will be worth a fortune to some BlackBerry collector....

Jun 08 2022 | 9:22 am EDT Phillip st

Here's the link Chuck's referring to above. It was a scoop by Tsepz_GP.

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13633372
LOL can't tell if it's an OLED slider or not.

Seriously though...... Looking forward to the leaked onward mobility proposals or prototypes. Whatever tech odyssey and Kevin were privy to.

Jun 08 2022 | 1:04 pm EDT Chuck Finley69

LOL can't tell if it's an OLED slider or not.

Seriously though...... Looking forward to the leaked onward mobility proposals or prototypes. Whatever tech odyssey and Kevin were privy to.
I’m waiting for @idssteve and @the_boon seasoned reviews

Jun 08 2022 | 7:36 pm EDT idssteve

I’m waiting for @idssteve and @the_boon seasoned reviews
Already see that it's too wide, too tall and too thin. Typically "modern". Lol

Jul 14 2022 | 5:56 pm EDT donnation

I'll leave this saying here. "Good things, come to those who wait"

as Kevin stated in his previous posts, there is a much bigger vision for Crackberry that goes beyond Blackberry (obviously). I'm sure Kevin is looking for staff and contributors to get a locked and loaded team ready to begin.

If we don't hear anything before the end of July then we can get worried
Well, we are nearly there, and not a single update.

Jul 14 2022 | 6:33 pm EDT Yamahammer

The "end of July" is a date that Matty made, not CBK. By the end of the year as had been mentioned by CBK.

Jul 15 2022 | 12:36 am EDT elfabio80

The CB2.0 has been chenned! Lol! Important that CBK is doing well.

Jul 15 2022 | 7:35 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

The "end of July" is a date that Matty made, not CBK. By the end of the year as had been mentioned by CBK.
CBK also said back in Feb "Getting closer to publishing my "CrackBerry 2.0 Vision Explained, in Words!"".

Jul 15 2022 | 12:40 pm EDT Yamahammer

CBK also said back in Feb "Getting closer to publishing my "CrackBerry 2.0 Vision Explained, in Words!"".
Close only counts in horseshoes.

Jul 16 2022 | 1:46 am EDT Paul Reichert

I can wait for the vision. I'm very glad the site's here, period.

Jul 16 2022 | 8:08 am EDT brookie229

Close only counts in horseshoes.
......and hand grenades.

Jul 29 2022 | 1:25 pm EDT Matty

As Yamahammer correctly stated, the end of July date that I mentioned is a period of time after Kevin had purchased Crackberry that I expect him (out of courtesy to loyal members) to give us a update on what's happening.

Even if it's a short blog post to say "Still alive" or something. He knows how bad Onward Movility looked when there was no news for months on end. I think ita very important to keep us in the loop otherwise interest wanes.

Hopefully we get a update soon from Kevin.

Jul 29 2022 | 1:47 pm EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

As Yamahammer correctly stated, the end of July date that I mentioned is a period of time after Kevin had purchased Crackberry that I expect him (out of courtesy to loyal members) to give us a update on what's happening.

Even if it's a short blog post to say "Still alive" or something. He knows how bad Onward Movility looked when there was no news for months on end. I think ita very important to keep us in the loop otherwise interest wanes.

Well he did tweet something about a "pivot" and that he is "hoping" to drop a CrackBerry 2.0 in a few weeks (which that was a week ago).

Plan B, is coming soon (deja vu)

Jul 29 2022 | 2:47 pm EDT donnation

I think we are well past a courtesy post at this point. He clearly isn’t doing what he originally intended with this site or he would have given an update on it months ago. My bet is that it just turned out to be not worth his time financially due to the low user base here and he’s decided to do something completely different or nothing at all.

Jul 29 2022 | 2:49 pm EDT donnation

Well he did tweet something about a "pivot" and that he is "hoping" to drop a CrackBerry 2.0 in a few weeks (which that was a week ago).

Plan B, is coming soon (deja vu)
Now its a “Pivot” to the original “Pivot.”

Jul 29 2022 | 3:01 pm EDT Paul Reichert

Ho hum. I'm glad to have this much and don't see the use of speculating on what Kevin is doing or planning.

Jul 29 2022 | 4:26 pm EDT Yamahammer

Now its a “Pivot” to the original “Pivot.”
Start a GoFundMe and make him an offer if it's bothering you this much! He clearly stated by the end of the year.

Jul 29 2022 | 4:27 pm EDT donnation

Start a GoFundMe and make him an offer if it's bothering you this much! He clearly stated by the end of the year.
Lol its not bothering me. Its a forum, there’s not much else to talk about in here, so its a topic. If it bothers you then maybe don’t come into the thread.