Maybe It's just a coincidence, but... back in August of last year I posted two threads about how BBM Protected could be improved and leveraged to grow regular BBM.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...bm-1-a-955323/

and

http://forums.crackberry.com/homepag...bm-1-a-952624/

More particularly, I said:

To make the $30 really worth it, BlackBerry should consider offering a Protected BBM+1 service.

What do I mean? Essentially, each paying BBM Protected user will automatically extend and enforce their 'per-message encryption' scheme for any conversations they carry out with third-party non-BBM Protected licensed users. In other words, every BBM Protected licensed user can have "protected" conversations with third party non-BBM Protected subscribers. That way, if you have BBM Protected, you can have protected conversations with your family, clients, outside collaborators even if they aren't paying for it (communications which occur very regularly, and are often points of vulnerability). In other words: extending the BBM protected encryption to one user-layer beyond the employee.

Aside from the added security value to a BBM Protected subscription-paying user. There is a potentially huge positive side effect for BlackBerry itself:

If you are a BBM Protected subscriber, and you know you can extend the benefit of your encrypted communication to your direct third-party BBM contacts, you will likely start to try to push your contacts (family, friends, clients, outside collaborators, etc.) to get BBM to take advantage of this. Therefore, BBM Protected subscribers will now have some 'economic' "skin in the game" and will in effect become seeds for BBM's growth (and with two increasingly persuasive reasons--security and privacy)!
    I actually made a submission to BlackBerry's now defunct I can make it better page, and it was marked for 'review' (whatever that meant).

Anyway... it now seems that they have indeed implemented something along those lines!

Now Available: BBM Protected for Android and iOS devices | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

Not only is there no additional annual cost, but this security extends seamlessly across companies without any complex or costly-to-setup server federation. If you are a lawyer in a law firm or investment advisor within a financial institution, BBM Protected now enables you to use enterprise-grade secure instant messaging to chat with your clients with no laborious IT setup

At enterprises that have deployed BBM Protected, employees can initiate an encrypted BBM Protected conversation with other BBM Protected users inside or outside of the organization. However, they can also initiate BBM Protected conversations with non-BBM Protected users within or outside their organization whenever security is paramount. You’ll then see one of the two screens above, depending on whether its your or their organization that actually owns BBM Protected. All the “non-Protected” party requires is the free BBM app downloaded from iOS App Store, Google Play or BlackBerry World.

Once the BBM Protected connection is established with the non-BBM Protected user, either user can initiate a secure chat environment at any time. Connect with your high-profile clients in a trusted environment, while offering a differentiator from your competitors with this new feature.
    Of course we will never know, but... we're all a bit delusional here so I'm entitled to give myself some credit.
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 03-20-15 at 11:42 AM.
    03-20-15 11:15 AM
    I think you gave them a great idea AND THEY LIKED IT!
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-20-15 12:13 PM
    It's a great idea. Nice suggestion. I wish they had let you know it was a great idea before they used it, but that might open them up to legal recourse.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-20-15 12:53 PM
    Congratulation!

The real great thing is:
    If I remember correctly your idea had only a small number of supporters (no offense).
    The fact that BlackBerry implemented this shows me that good ideas prevail.
    It has somehow restored my faith in mankind (at least for the weekend)....haha.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-20-15 01:31 PM
    Congratulation!

The real great thing is:
    If I remember correctly your idea had only a small number of supporters (no offense).
    The fact that BlackBerry implemented this shows me that good ideas prevail.
    It has somehow restored my faith in mankind (at least for the weekend)....haha.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you're right. Definitely wasn't showered in praise, and only received about maybe 10 or 12 upvotes in the I can make it better site. But most comments involved questioning whether BlackBerry could even actually do it (since at the time it seemed to rely on BES).

Fortunately it seems they figured out a way. Now if they only allowed regular folk to buy BBM protected subscriptions, it would now be actually worth it because you can enjoy it's benefits without the need to convince your friends and family to also buy it... you just have to convince them to download BBM.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 02:28 PM
    [...]
    Fortunately it seems they figured out a way. Now if they only allowed regular folk to buy BBM protected subscriptions,...
    Obviously they could offer a fantastic alternative to iMessage here, because BBM is cross-platform, feature-rich and easy to use.

Consumers would have an almost real end-to-end encryption (but no control over public keys, I guess).

Companies have full control over the keys with BES and hence real end-to-end encryption. And if BlackBerry would change the public key of a consumer account, your BES account should warn you.

LEAs can still gather who is talking with whom, where and when.

...everybody wins.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 03:47 PM
    ROYALTY!

And I get a cut as AnimalPak's agent. It is I, after all, who suggested here first that he get a royalty.
    03-20-15 03:50 PM
    ROYALTY!

And I get a cut as AnimalPak's agent. It is I, after all, who suggested here first that he get a royalty.
    Tudor or Windsor?
    03-20-15 04:54 PM
    Tudor or Windsor?
    Tudor. Via Prince Edmund Plantagenet.
    03-20-15 05:25 PM
    Royalties! But that depends on if the app fly with the corporations lol they won't give you none if they have none haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-21-15 04:53 AM
    Makes great sense.. why I pay for encrypted chats if I will use it only with people who has the same feature

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 05:08 AM
    Makes great sense.. why I pay for encrypted chats if I will use it only with people who has the same feature

Posted via CB10
    Exactly,.. unless you only talk with people within your organization. But that is rarely the case.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 06:55 AM
    Now if they only allowed regular folk to buy BBM protected subscriptions, it would now be actually worth it because you can enjoy it's benefits without the need to convince your friends and family to also buy it... you just have to convince them to download BBM.

Posted via CB10
    In the end this is an enterprise only solution right? Even if your friends and family wanted to buy it consumers can't get a hold of it.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 07:26 AM
    In the end this is an enterprise only solution right? Even if your friends and family wanted to buy it consumers can't get a hold of it.

Posted via CB10
    Yup,.. and that's a shame. Because now that you can extend your encryption benefits to conversations with non-protected-subscription bbm contacts, it would definitely be a more marketable upgrade option to individuals.

At least more marketable than the lame "custom PIN" or "ad free" junk they are offering.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 07:52 AM
    BBM Protected is available to anyone with a credit card.

It is available via the Enterprise Store, but you can always register as an individual consumer. Check out my article on BlackBerryCentral for more info...
    03-23-15 01:23 PM
    Tudor. Via Prince Edmund Plantagenet.
    Congrats to AnimalPak... :-D
    But royalties?

I just nearly read Prince Albert, ahem... "dressing ring"... ouch!

�   Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....   �
    03-23-15 03:52 PM
    Royalties?
    Why not just be happy that your contribution helps many people?

Just what BlackBerry needs -- more money out of their pocket.
    03-23-15 08:44 PM
    Royalties?
    Why not just be happy that your contribution helps many people?

Just what BlackBerry needs -- more money out of their pocket.
    I didn't ask for any, or even any credit,.. just a moment of CrackBerry glory!

Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 08:59 PM
    Haha. That was for prem. :P
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-23-15 09:00 PM
    I bought a subscription to BBM Protected and I'm a regular consumer. You can too.

Posted via my gorgeous Red Passport
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-23-15 09:02 PM
    I bought a subscription to BBM Protected and I'm a regular consumer. You can too.

Posted via my gorgeous Red Passport
    Now you're a BBM protected consumer, or a consumer protected by BBM... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....   �
    03-24-15 12:07 AM
    Lol

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    03-24-15 03:29 AM