I once to hated Android and slightly do still. But that hate is dying slowly.
    The bad part is that after putting so much hope and money by buying into BlackBerry devices, I'm starting to hate them. Purely because they botched a great OS in a major fashion. Speaking of BB10.
    They also botched their Android launch as well with the Priv and their software.
    I agree on this last paragraph. I loved my BB devices, especially my BB10 devices but I really have fallen out of love with them. I get the move to Android and I get all that but then are not being straight with us loyalists and the Priv was not a great launch in my opinion. I know some are going to say that they can't base business decisions on what a few users would like but they also need our word of mouth. Be clear on BB10. I've been burnt before with the PB and now I am going to ditch BB10 for Android and it won't be a Priv (because I cannot afford it, and thanks to the Z10 and Z30 I want an all touch device).
    03-06-16 09:43 AM
    New Malware, Accessibility Clickjacking, affects 65% of Android devices
    http://n.mynews.ly/!EB.DiyTZ

Articles like this seem to support OP's assessment. I know even the guys over at Android Central are critical of Android and OEM's handling of security updates (BlackBerry and Nexus aside)

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    03-06-16 10:06 AM
    New Malware, Accessibility Clickjacking, affects 65% of Android devices
    http://n.mynews.ly/!EB.DiyTZ

Articles like this seem to support OP's assessment. I know even the guys over at Android Central are critical of Android and OEM's handling of security updates (BlackBerry and Nexus aside)

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    This only affects users running OSes from 2013 and prior.

And as you mention, in a more general sense, Priv and Nexus devices get immediate, monthly security patches. This is a valid consideration when choosing an Android device.
    03-06-16 10:13 AM
    Android devices are not all the same.
    I am sure there are some really crappy ones.
    Get a Nexus.

App stores are not all the same.
    Stick to Google play and you are unlikely to have a problem.
    I understand that some of the others are festering pits of disease.

Making blanket statements about Android is ridiculous.
    03-06-16 10:29 AM
    Android devices are not all the same.
    I am sure there are some really crappy ones.
    Get a Nexus.

App stores are not all the same.
    Stick to Google play and you are unlikely to have a problem.
    I understand that some of the others are festering pits of disease.

Making blanket statements about Android is ridiculous.
    Exactly. If we posted all the security concerns of Windows, people should think the world is ending. Yes there are vulnerabilities, but let's get real. The computing world has not collapsed. Threats are real but easily mitigated else there would be warnings all over the place. Let's not be dramatic.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 10:49 AM
    No. This is not true. BlackBerry 10 is not going to die until the end of 2016. It's a 100% information from inside the BlackBerry. Unfortunately I can't say anymore due to some reasons.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 11:31 AM
    You have to admit, the sensationalism of these articles gets some peoples anxiety levels all whacky! Kind of interesting from a psychological level to sit back and watch. You would think every Android users bank account had been drained. IF you are on an old OS and IF you download from unknown sources and IF you click on a link from someone you don't know and IF.....well, you get the picture.

Safety and security is about the end user, not the device you're using. I can crash a Subaru just as easily as a BMW if I drive them like a maniac. You can't secure unsafe habits.
    03-06-16 11:38 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is not going to die until the end of 2016. It's a 100% information from inside the BlackBerry.
    That's the premise of the thread.

Unfortunately I can't say anymore due to some reasons.
    Please don't say anymore.
    03-06-16 12:17 PM
    I agree, but sadly, these are all facts, much like the fact how the BlackBerry app ecosystem is beyond horrible. You claim Android is not a mess, well it is, on every single device, some way be better than others of course. The fact is that you still need an anti-virus on your Nexus--which consumes energy. If you don't have a good anti-virus than you will probably have an rootkit or two on your device.
    No you don't need any antivirus on your Android phone. I've had an Android phone since the very first and never got a virus. It's no different than a PC or Mac on osx. If you turn off all the safety features and download and install apps outside of Google play then it's on you! Google play apps with anything bad in them are at the same rate as iOS. You are wrong.
    03-06-16 12:41 PM
    If you take your privacy rather serious , why are you on the Internet? Why do you have a mobile phone that can be tracked pretty much 24/7?
    Honestly I don't know what you've been smoking but there is a difference between privacy and hiding.

Facts:
    My Nexus 6 does not need 4 gigs of memory to run smoothly. Fastest device I have ever owned.
    No malware on my device, also no antivirus on my device. Not necessary.
    The Play Store is NOT "95% copied crap, fake apps, scams, or malware".

It is true that the number of devices and older versions out there are large. Somehow, though, it remains the #1 OS. That tells me that your "facts" are not getting in the way of people enjoying the experience.

Notice I didn't have to exaggerate in order to get my point across.
    Fine 3 gigs. Fact is that my 2 gig Samsung is running horrible, yet my 2 gig BlackBerry smooth--same goes for the iPhone. How do you know you have no rootkits without an antivirus app, fyi an rootkit is hard to find and can't be removed. The number #1 OS is obviously BBOS10 if any, after that it's iOS, WP, Android. Of course I'm not looking at the user base, Android is known for having extremely cheap devices. Apple is exclusive--and expensive, so naturally since most people can't afford it--they have less users.

Btw, what are you Android fans even doing here? Get an iPhone for a year and tell me again that Android is smooth and Google Play is great!
    03-06-16 01:23 PM
    Had the very first iPhone and many since. Had multiple BB phones. Many Android devices. Been on this site since 2007. I think I know a thing or two.

I am enjoying our conversation though
    DarkJoker33 and Wybrem like this.
    03-06-16 01:35 PM
    Btw, what are you Android fans even doing here?
    Because BlackBerry makes an Android device, and I have one.

I've used a BlackBerry as a primary device since 2006 - through both platform changes.
    03-06-16 01:45 PM
    Btw, what are you Android fans even doing here?
    I dunno, maybe the Priv, ding dong?
    DrBoomBotz, TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    03-06-16 01:46 PM
    Hello,

I just learned that BlackBerry will only make Android devices from now on. Whatsapp is dropping it's support for BBOS10, basically it's going dead. Now I just received two brand new Leap's from BlackBerry free of charge, because my older BlackBerry Z10's got corrupted during updating. Anyway I still have a Classic and I was planning on buying the Passport Silver Edition. Now I still want to, but is the Android Whatsapp version any good on BBOS10? Is it a good idea to buy a new passport? also what device should I take after that?

I can't believe BBOS is just dying like this.
    Thanks for the update.

Most people here refer to BBOS 7 and below/earlier. The most recent version is often referred to as BB10.

I've also noticed lots of the "BlackBerry doomsday" preachers have under 100 posts. They also continue to refer to BBOS as BlackBerry's hay day. Pagers were fun too?

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin (SR) 10.3.2.2836 (OS version 10.3.2.2876) on AT&T
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 03-06-16 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Removed trolling comment
    03-06-16 02:10 PM
    Btw, what are you Android fans even doing here? Get an iPhone for a year and tell me again that Android is smooth and Google Play is great!
    Does that seem as clever in retrospect?
    ubizmo likes this.
    03-06-16 02:11 PM
    Honestly I don't know what you've been smoking but there is a difference between privacy and hiding.

Fine 3 gigs. Fact is that my 2 gig Samsung is running horrible, yet my 2 gig BlackBerry smooth--same goes for the iPhone. How do you know you have no rootkits without an antivirus app, fyi an rootkit is hard to find and can't be removed. The number #1 OS is obviously BBOS10 if any, after that it's iOS, WP, Android. Of course I'm not looking at the user base, Android is known for having extremely cheap devices. Apple is exclusive--and expensive, so naturally since most people can't afford it--they have less users.

Your Samsung is probably running horribly due to, and this is my own assessment which others may or may not agree with, its being stock or close to stock, running TouchWiz - a skin that's been bashed by a good number of users for being sluggish and bloated throughout the years. It's decidedly improved in recent releases, but... it's still TouchWiz. I have a LG G3 that's never slowed down and never stutters, it occasionally has issues loading web pages but that's not the phone's fault. Regarding malware and rootkits: I'm fairly certain rootkits are something one downloads from shady sites and trojan apps, so unless someone has access to Google and can recode all those apps to include those rootkits or change the links to somewhere else without anyone noticing, there's no way I can get one. If I was truly paranoid I can easily check my firewall logs and see what's connecting to what, just like anyone else (and some have).

If you'd brought this argument up maybe even a year prior I'd agree with you on the malware points, but I did my homework and found I was just harboring prejudices based on past sensationalism. Yes, online media is still trying to scare people; however, the truth is out there if we just look past the people shouting bad things about a product to get people to read their articles. Everyone using a BlackBerry already knows how to do this.

Android fans come here because this is a sister site to Android Central. And Windows Central. And iMore. We go where we want because we can, and Mobile Nations is not discriminatory to what device you own in order to access any of our sites.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    03-06-16 02:21 PM
    [warn]While I may not be in agreement with the OP, he is not a troll nor trolling. Accusations from this point on will have repercussions.[/warn]
    03-06-16 02:29 PM
    Does that seem as clever in retrospect?
    It's the best the poor kid could do.
    03-06-16 02:41 PM
    Oh, okay, it's not dead, it's just comatose.
    The bb10 is dead vs not dead debate is pretty silly. I get many of you folks have moved onto the priv and hence I pretty committed to android but I don't understand why your pushing hard for bb10 to be "dead" when people are still actively using it, some companies are still developing for it, and BlackBerry themselves have not officially declared it so. Is your world so black and white? Personally I can handle some grey.
    03-06-16 02:47 PM
    Sadly most of them are facts, others are my opinion. I see you have a great passion for BlackBerry and an Godlike amount of free time as you hit nearly 100k posts--which means on average you post about 36 posts a day--assuming you started posting 36 posts a day from day 1 you registered (that is more than 1 post per hour per day 365 days a year). That is something I can't do. So basically we live on a different level--and naturally your vision of a "good" phone is different than mine.

I understand your phone works for you, but so does Facebook for most people--that doesn't mean Facebook is good--because it's not. I'm not saying BlackBerry is the best thing since sliced bread but it sure is a hell of a lot better than Android--I mean pretty much any OS is.
    agree face book is not good. Hope they drop any BB10 application too. That way I could get a BB10 phone for my kids and know they will be safe from all the tripe that comes with so many of these Must Have apps.
    I'm just 1 of the 7 Billion earthlings that lives without a facebook identity.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 02:56 PM
    The bb10 is dead vs not dead debate is pretty silly. I get many of you folks have moved onto the priv and hence I pretty committed to android but I don't understand why your pushing hard for bb10 to be "dead" when people are still actively using it, some companies are still developing for it, and BlackBerry themselves have not officially declared it so. Is your world so black and white? Personally I can handle some grey.
    How to tell if someone is dead.

1. Coroner pronounces them dead, I'm confident they'e dead.
    2. If all that is left is a skeleton I feel pretty sure they're dead.
    3. If I cannot detect a pulse or see fog on a mirror placed under their nose, I suspect the're dead.
    4. If they struggle when I take their jewellery, I suspect the're not dead.
    JeepBB, TgeekB and Gallofa like this.
    03-06-16 03:13 PM

3. If I cannot detect a pulse or see fog on a mirror placed under their nose, I suspect the're dead.
    4. If they struggle when I take their jewellery, I suspect the're not dead.
    Well, here is a BlackBerry we can all agree is dead:
    So I just learned BBOS10 will be dead by the end of 2016.-66506021516f9b636f7c468fea918a58_blackberry6510.jpg

Save that it's just opinionated dribble .

Personally I would rather use a "dead" bb10 then a "sucky" android ! But, i'm willing to admit i'm biased and your results might vary.
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    03-06-16 04:26 PM

This looks like a good way to ensure that you are the last person to realize that someone is dead.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-06-16 04:35 PM
    This looks like a good way to ensure that you are the last person to realize that someone is dead.
    I could see why that would be a really bad thing for a actual corpse .. but why is that a big deal for a phone?
    What dire thing is going to happen if I don't adopt the priv and immediately condemn all previous blackberry devices?
    03-06-16 05:07 PM
    And I bet I could resurrect an Atari and play Journey! I guess nothing is dead lol.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-06-16 05:19 PM
238 ... 34567 ...