OT: SPHS decided to join the rally party. Whoot
    03-04-16 12:10 PM
    As for the operating system itself, it's not Java based as it's built with C/C++.
    Android is written in: C (core), C++, Java (UI). It's Unix-Like based. Source: Wikipedia.

But honestly it doesn't matter where it's written in. The fact is that my dual core, 2gb ram rocking BlackBerry Classic is faster and stutters less than any Android phone with the same specs says it all, matter fact, I can get stuff done faster than my mate who owns a HTC One. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 & 3 10.1, with some dual core and 1 gig of mem, I wanted it for entertainment--something a tablet is designed for and a phone is not (IMO) but they're both slower than my Windows 98 computer.

For me a phone is a phone, it needs to work for what it's designed for, I couldn't care less about a full hd screen, worthless apps designed to waste my time, or really anything else Android and iOS have to offer, in terms of functionality they're both horrible, but at least Apple's iPhone is fast on older hardware.

What I need and love about a phone is it being rock solid for starters, and the HUB, I can't afford to miss a email or a Whatsapp message, the hub is perfect for that. On the iPhone or Android all I see is clutter; 6000 different messages from 80.000 different apps. Besides that Google Play will just whine and whine and whine for your credit card information, not to mention their lack of security on Play.

I'm pretty much the only one I know who uses a BlackBerry, but I'm also the only one I know who has a 70% battery level around 10pm, and who uses his phone as a phone, not a tablet or computer.
    rickkel, dev3011, esd820 and 4 others like this.
    03-04-16 12:23 PM
    Android is written in: C (core), C++, Java (UI). It's Unix-Like based. Source: Wikipedia.

But honestly it doesn't matter where it's written in. The fact is that my dual core, 2gb ram rocking BlackBerry Classic is faster and stutters less than any Android phone with the same specs says it all, matter fact, I can get stuff done faster than my mate who owns a HTC One. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 & 3 10.1, with some dual core and 1 gig of mem, I wanted it for entertainment--something a tablet is designed for and a phone is not (IMO) but they're both slower than my Windows 98 computer.

For me a phone is a phone, it needs to work for what it's designed for, I couldn't care less about a full hd screen, worthless apps designed to waste my time, or really anything else Android and iOS have to offer, in terms of functionality they're both horrible, but at least Apple's iPhone is fast on older hardware.

What I need and love about a phone is it being rock solid for starters, and the HUB, I can't afford to miss a email or a Whatsapp message, the hub is perfect for that. On the iPhone or Android all I see is clutter; 6000 different messages from 80.000 different apps. Besides that Google Play will just whine and whine and whine for your credit card information, not to mention their lack of security on Play.

I'm pretty much the only one I know who uses a BlackBerry, but I'm also the only one I know who has a 70% battery level around 10pm, and who uses his phone as a phone, not a tablet or computer.
    So loving this. Thank you, mate.

Like many stubborn BB diehards, I'm still using my PlayBook. Even after being "dead" for 5 years it's still kicking so hard on helping me do my works and get things done. The VKB on this 5 year old behemoth is UNBELIEVABLY better than any current android's and iPhone's VKB put together. I'm gunning for a Z3 next, just for the BB10 VKB I love from the Z10 that is now used daily--so harshly treated and battered by my wife but still going strong and perfectly functional like nothing else matters.

She also has a Samsung, but put it on just for games and private use, while ALL of her crazy office workloads are dumped on the Z10.
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 03-11-16 at 09:25 PM.
    03-04-16 01:01 PM

If you don't like misinformation being spread about BB10, don't copy the behavior.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 01:16 PM
    No it's not. Android is slow and Java based, BBOS10 is not. I mean JAVA, seriously I can't believe people still choose to use Java but whatever.
    I just got a Nexus 6. Fast, beautiful screen, excellent battery life. No, it's not perfect, but I am extremely happy with it
    03-04-16 01:23 PM
    Is it worth buying a Priv? Will they stop supporting that in 2017?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 01:31 PM
    Android is not that bad. Bb10 is just a simplified version of jellybean. So technically bb10 is android.

We all move on eventually. I'll probably go for the samsung s7 edge in the fall.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is based on QNX, it's just that it included an Android runtime.
    03-04-16 01:40 PM
    Android is not that bad. Bb10 is just a simplified version of jellybean. So technically bb10 is android.

We all move on eventually. I'll probably go for the samsung s7 edge in the fall.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is nothing like android. And a simplified version--where did you get that idea? Simplified what? Android is a MESS. BB10 is not. That's a fact. Poor sales notwithstanding.
    Wybrem and extisis like this.
    03-04-16 01:58 PM
    I bought a cheap Android phone just to try it a few days ago and honestly, it's not that bad. I installed Cobalt's Hub and it's perfectly usable now.
    Oh and if any of you guys want to stock up on Blackberries, the Leap is only $169 today on Amazon.
    03-04-16 02:08 PM
    Funny, I thought it was dead from last year.
    03-04-16 03:41 PM
    How is Android a mess, I don't have Instagram, Facebook or Spotyfy, whatever that is, but I am enjoying it very much

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-04-16 03:59 PM
    Android is a mess? Sorry but I can't take you seriously.
    Last edited by TgeekB; 03-04-16 at 04:34 PM.
    03-04-16 04:03 PM
    I installed Cobalt's Hub and it's perfectly usable now.
    What is "Cobalt's Hub"?
    03-04-16 04:06 PM
    Outside of BB10
    03-04-16 05:57 PM
    Android is a mess? Sorry but I can't take you seriously.
    As I explained I'm not an average consumer, to me both Android and iOS are a BIG BIG BIG mess. They look very nice though. you wanna know why Android is a mess, fine here we go:

#1 Malware Store *cough* I meant Play Store. --get it, it's full of mallware. *please enjoy this video*

#2 Bloatware. Get your counterfeit "premium" plastic Samsung S7 now for only 799eur, Order now and get 16gigs of worthless, useless bloatware apps for FREE!.

#3 Clutter, clutter, clutter. Give me a HUB, that actually shows everything, including but not limited to WhatsApp. ON THE HOME SCREEN, not a "HUB-App".

#4 SLOWWWWWWW!, Your phone is probably rocking some 5000ghz octa core + about 6 quadrillion gigabytes of memory just to get a little smoothness out of that thing. ^and y'all wonder why your battery drain so quickly LOL.

#5 It's open. Google has no quality-control at all. Most non native Android phones are filled with bloatware.

*edited bonus*
    #6 Updates: It's not always easy to get an Android OS update. Not only do you rely on Google issuing one, but also your phone manufacturer being up for it, and of course your cell provider as well.

I've more points but anyway in my eyes Android is a cheap knock-off of the in every possible way superior iOS from Apple, but ye the convenience of having a reliable OS with a great app ecosystem will cost you big bucks. I still wouldn't want an iPhone not even if they were free, so there ya go.
    Last edited by Wybrem; 03-04-16 at 07:02 PM.
    ravencore likes this.
    03-04-16 06:48 PM
    As I explained I'm not an average consumer, to me both Android and iOS are a BIG BIG BIG mess. They look very nice though. you wanna know why Android is a mess, fine here we go:

#1 Malware Store *cough* I meant Play Store. --get it, it's full of mallware.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=QdKhe0yagQY

#2 Bloatware. Get your counterfeit "premium" plastic Samsung S7 now for only 799eur, Order now and get 16gigs of worthless, useless bloatware apps for FREE!.

#3 Clutter, clutter, clutter. Give me a HUB, that actually shows everything, including but not limited to WhatsApp. ON THE HOME SCREEN, not a "HUB-App".

#4 SLOWWWWWWW!, Your phone is probably rocking some 5000ghz octa core + about 6 quadrillion gigabytes of memory just to get a little smoothness out of that thing. ^and y'all wonder why your battery drain so quickly LOL.

#5 It's open. Google has no quality-control at all. Most non native Android phones are filled with bloatware.

I've more points but anyway in my eyes Android is a cheap knock-off of the in every possible way superior iOS from Apple, but ye the convenience of having a reliable OS with a great app ecosystem will cost you big bucks. I still wouldn't want an iPhone not even if they were free, so there ya go.
    You have quite a vivid imagination. I have a Nexus 6, pure Android running Marshmallow. No bloat ware or malware. Quick as can be. Since it's customizable, it is set up exactly how I want it and uncluttered. Only paid $245.00 for it so quite a bargain.

I'm glad you enjoy your BB10 device, that's awesome that it works for you. Spreading garbage about other Os 's won't make it better though since we all have different needs.

I am interested to see if the Priv develops. The HUB (in BB10) is nice and I wouldn't mind using it if it works well.
    03-04-16 06:57 PM
    "So I just learned BBOS10 will be dead by the end of 2016."
    Fear, uncertainty and doubt. It's only over when BlackBerry themselves officially announce it as over.
    03-04-16 07:03 PM
    Honestly, having just purchased a Priv and playing around with it for a couple of days I don't understand the hatred for Android. If anything, I might be liking it more but too early to say. To each their own, but imo BB10 is a good OS for what it does and Android is too. Pros and Cons to both. The whole Android is a mess, blown way out of proportion.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 07:05 PM
    You have quite a vivid imagination. I have a Nexus 6, pure Android running Marshmallow. No bloat ware or malware. Quick as can be. Since it's customizable, it is set up exactly how I want it and uncluttered. Only paid $245.00 for it so quite a bargain.

I'm glad you enjoy your BB10 device, that's awesome that it works for you. Spreading garbage about other Os 's won't make it better though since we all have different needs.
    I agree, but sadly, these are all facts, much like the fact how the BlackBerry app ecosystem is beyond horrible. You claim Android is not a mess, well it is, on every single device, some way be better than others of course. The fact is that you still need an anti-virus on your Nexus--which consumes energy. If you don't have a good anti-virus than you will probably have an rootkit or two on your device.
    extisis likes this.
    03-04-16 07:05 PM
    I agree, but sadly, these are all facts, much like the fact how the BlackBerry app ecosystem is beyond horrible. You claim Android is not a mess, well it is, on every single device, some way be better than others of course. The fact is that you still need an anti-virus on your Nexus--which consumes energy. If you don't have a good anti-virus than you will probably have an rootkit or two on your device.
    Thanks for the advice but I have used Android on and off for quite a while. Have never had an issue and never will.

1. Only use most up to date OS
    2. Only download apps from App Store and form known sources
    3. You've used every Android device and know all about them? Wow!
    4. Stick with what you know, not with what you read on the Internet.
    5. Enjoy your device!
    jaydee5799, raremage and Witmen like this.
    03-04-16 07:09 PM
    The only thing Java based about Android is the app development platform using their SDK. And even then it's optional. App developers can (and many do) build apps using the NDK instead of the SDK. The SDK is only one option. The Dalvik runtime is/was much better than the Java JRE, and now with ART replacing Dalvik, apps built with the SDK run magnitudes better than anything the Java JRE could handle.

As for the operating system itself, it's not Java based as it's built with C/C++.
    Shhh... Facts and actual technical details will not be tolerated.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-04-16 07:10 PM

I am interested to see if the Priv develops. The HUB (in BB10) is nice and I wouldn't mind using it if it works well.
    I'm guessing he also buys all his BlackBerry phones unlocked.

Try a BlackBerry from a carrier and you'll see plenty o' bloat.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-04-16 07:18 PM
    Citation please. After all, these are "facts" you're presenting.
    raremage likes this.
    03-04-16 07:19 PM
    Citation please. After all, these are "facts" you're presenting.
    Let me explain myself. Yes I always buy all my devices unlocked. Why would I pay more for less?

1. Updating is awful.
    Updates are fast for the Nexus devices, but for all others, not. They have to update their terrible proprietary software first so that they can still stay in control of the user�s experience rather than giving them the reigns.

2. Updates are awful.
    Following on from the first thing on this list, updates, too, are generally awful. Anyone who used Android 5.1.2 knows exactly what I�m talking about: volume randomly dropping even though it�s set to max, devices crashing sometimes when WiFi is turned on (subsequently clearing your entire saved networks database), inaccurate battery percentage displaying resulting in the phone dropping from 10% to 0% in seconds� the list goes on.

3. Manufacturers are awful.
    Here�s the fix: give us Android, not Samsung-enhanced-super-duper-bloated-laggy-enhanced-Android.

4. Google Play is awful.
    Google Play has no quality control, whatsoever. That�s a fact. There�s more rubbish than there is good. There�s more advert cash cows than there is genuinely nice experiences. This extends even to paid games and apps, which is just so wrong.

5. Android is awful.
    When I say �Android� here I am referring to the actual system itself.It�s slow, unresponsive and horrifically unsmooth. They�ve tried their best with Lollipop to push forward material design and the animations and etc are a nice touch, but it still doesn�t feel as nice as iOS or Windows Phone, and that�s a real shame.

7. Malware present in applications.
    Although I've long complained about Apple's capricious approval process in the iPhone App Store, at least they haven't had a rampant malware problem.

8. New and exciting security holes.
    Now, admittedly, the whole authorization-token-in-the-clear security issue was nothing major and Google patched it quickly. But, on top of the whole malware problem, this sort of security issue is troubling.

9. Complete lack of version number logic.
    Is the current version Froyo or Gingerbread or Honeycomb? Do I want an Ice Cream Sandwich or a Cupcake or a Donut? Is it possible to run a low-cal version of Android? What if I'm cutting carbs and mostly doing protein? Then what?

10. Very different user experience on different handsets.
    Love it or hate it, when you pick up an iPhone, it feels like an iPhone. It feels and works like a phone designed for use by a five year old, but at least it's a consistent feeling. This is not the case with Android phones.

11. App incompatibility.
    Okay, this is a huge, huge deal-breaker. Apps built for one handset often don't work on another. It's almost impossible to be sure that you can run a given application without trying.

12. Too much tweaking required.
    While it annoys me to no end that I can't make minor tweaks and add utilities to my BlackBerry, the necessity of tweaking most Android phones to make them usable is unacceptable.

13. Poor tablet compatibility.
    Once again, compatibility is an issue. Many iPhone applications (actually nearly all of them) will run on the iPad. They may not be iPad-optimized, but they'll run.
    nmduc073 likes this.
    03-04-16 07:32 PM
    And carriers don't add bloatware to BlackBerry phones? Come on.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 07:52 PM
238 1234 ...