Hello,

I just learned that BlackBerry will only make Android devices from now on. Whatsapp is dropping it's support for BBOS10, basically it's going dead. Now I just received two brand new Leap's from BlackBerry free of charge, because my older BlackBerry Z10's got corrupted during updating. Anyway I still have a Classic and I was planning on buying the Passport Silver Edition. Now I still want to, but is the Android Whatsapp version any good on BBOS10? Is it a good idea to buy a new passport? also what device should I take after that?

I can't believe BBOS is just dying like this.
    03-03-16 07:33 PM
    I confirmed this a few days ago myself.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 07:44 PM
    I confirmed this a few days ago myself.

Posted via CB10
    So what to do, I've had nightmares about this day. There is no other "smart" phone that I like. I couldn't care less about the great app ecosystem, I'm not an consumer anyway. I just need the HUB I'm addicted to the HUB. The Priv is horrible in my opinion--because Android. The Vienna looks terrible and will not sell well. guess I'll just stock BB10 devices,so I'm good for the next decade.
    03-03-16 07:47 PM
    So what to do, I've had nightmares about this day. There is no other "smart" phone that I like. I couldn't care less about the great app ecosystem, I'm not an consumer anyway. I just need the HUB I'm addicted to the HUB. The Priv is horrible in my opinion--because Android. The Vienna looks terrible and will not sell well. guess I'll just stock BB10 devices,so I'm good for the next decade.
    Wake up bro. Life is so beautiful outside of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    bodjor, Kesharik4, TgeekB and 15 others like this.
    03-03-16 08:12 PM
    Its just a phone, and nothing has been confirmed by Blackberry so you haven't learned anything that is fact. Its a possibility but nothing is confirmed at this point.
    daynebca likes this.
    03-03-16 08:17 PM
    Now I just received two brand new Leap's from BlackBerry free of charge, because my older BlackBerry Z10's got corrupted during updating.
    Christmas all over again <3
    03-03-16 08:32 PM
    Christmas all over again <3
    Ye it's really good, they're really good devices actually. Especially considering their unlocked price.

Wake up bro. Life is so beautiful outside of BlackBerry.
    How? Android is a mess, so is iOS. I'm not the type of person that needs Spotify or instagram in his life. I just want to use the passport for another 5 years.
    03-03-16 08:53 PM
    Hello,

I just learned that BlackBerry will only make Android devices from now on. Whatsapp is dropping it's support for BBOS10, basically it's going dead. Now I just received two brand new Leap's from BlackBerry free of charge, because my older BlackBerry Z10's got corrupted during updating. Anyway I still have a Classic and I was planning on buying the Passport Silver Edition. Now I still want to, but is the Android Whatsapp version any good on BBOS10? Is it a good idea to buy a new passport? also what device should I take after that?

I can't believe BBOS is just dying like this.
    Where is your proof?
    03-03-16 09:09 PM
    BB10 has Android 4.1 runtime and it'll a long while before Google drops support for 4.1. So you've good amount of time to be addicted to your BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 09:19 PM
    People who use android whatsapp said it works well.. why don't you try it? You have nothing to lose and you already have BlackBerry phones
    03-03-16 09:34 PM
    BB10 has Android 4.1 runtime and it'll a long while before Google drops support for 4.1. So you've good amount of time to be addicted to your BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it's 4.3 Jelly Bean in 10.3.2. But, it will never be updated beyond that into Kit Kat, much less Lollipop or Marshmallow territory.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 09:59 PM
    Where is your proof?
    Interview at CES &

Damian Tay, senior director, APAC product management at BlackBerry, said:
    "The PRIV device is essentially our transition to the Android ecosystem. As we secure Android, over a period of time, we would not have two platforms, and may have only Android as a platform [for smartphones]... But for now, we have BB10 and Android platforms for our smartphones."
    03-03-16 10:01 PM
    Passport best BlackBerry I've ever owned. I have priv and passport SE. If I were you I would pick up a used SE.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BigAl_BB9900 and brian4591 like this.
    03-03-16 10:01 PM
    Interview at CES &

"The PRIV device is essentially our transition to the Android ecosystem. As we secure Android, over a period of time, we would not have two platforms, and may have only Android as a platform [for smartphones]... But for now, we have BB10 and Android platforms for our smartphones."
    And then in 2017 the non-Java based Android/Chrome fusion OS for mobile devices. Where will BlackBerry fit into that?

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    03-03-16 10:37 PM
    I'll bet my Q10 will be rocking just fine 3 years from now. Android What's up works fine.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 10:42 PM
    And then in 2017 the non-Java based Android/Chrome fusion OS for mobile devices. Where will BlackBerry fit into that?

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    Wherever you want, it's your fantasy.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-03-16 10:50 PM
    Ye it's really good, they're really good devices actually. Especially considering their unlocked price.

How? Android is a mess, so is iOS. I'm not the type of person that needs Spotify or instagram in his life. I just want to use the passport for another 5 years.
    What I meant is, there's so much to think/talk about other than smartphones. We have no control on BlackBerry's plan on its platform. I am using a PPSE and as long as it provides me the functions that I need at the moment, it doesn't matter to me whether they continue to support the os or not.

Posted via CB10
    nmduc073 likes this.
    03-03-16 10:53 PM
    Old news and walked back by BlackBerry

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    03-03-16 11:25 PM
    Android is not that bad. Bb10 is just a simplified version of jellybean. So technically bb10 is android.

We all move on eventually. I'll probably go for the samsung s7 edge in the fall.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 12:01 AM
    The G5 is a lot more intriguing than the S7. The s6 was a bugfest.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 12:07 AM

But apparently you need whatsapp.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-04-16 12:11 AM
    Android is not that bad. Bb10 is just a simplified version of jellybean. So technically bb10 is android.

We all move on eventually. I'll probably go for the samsung s7 edge in the fall.

Posted via CB10
    No it's not. Android is slow and Java based, BBOS10 is not. I mean JAVA, seriously I can't believe people still choose to use Java but whatever.
    03-04-16 08:03 AM
    No it's not. Android is slow and Java based, BBOS10 is not. I mean JAVA, seriously I can't believe people still choose to use Java but whatever.
    The only thing Java based about Android is the app development platform using their SDK. And even then it's optional. App developers can (and many do) build apps using the NDK instead of the SDK. The SDK is only one option. The Dalvik runtime is/was much better than the Java JRE, and now with ART replacing Dalvik, apps built with the SDK run magnitudes better than anything the Java JRE could handle.

As for the operating system itself, it's not Java based as it's built with C/C++.
    03-04-16 08:20 AM
    I've been rocking my Nexus 5 and Passport back to back for a while, I've had them both since they came out, truth is they cover up each other's lapses. However, I've found the BB10 on the passport to be more rock solid, never freezes, hardly ever restarted, it just keeps going and going. If BB10 is really going out, that would be a real shame...
    Wybrem and BerrySoul like this.
    03-04-16 10:19 AM
    Android is Linux based. See Denver Ralph's post for further info.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    03-04-16 10:38 AM
238 123 ...