It may have something to do with the fact that I just tested NOKIA Lumia 810 (which is more responsive and smooth than any BlackBerry I've tried since) and the fact that the devices are connected to this big connector on its back, but I'm not impressed with BlackBerry 7.

The screen is a tad small for touchscreen operations. Torch models suffer graphics smoothness problem even with hardware accelerated graphics, and the whole experience is not engaging. It doesn't make me go "WOW", despite me being a fan of BlackBerry.

It is the same feeling all over again when I first installed BlackBerry 6 on my Bold 9700. It's the same "nothing new but the theme" feeling. The underlying hardware have gone very far from my old Bold 9700, that's for certain. They have more pixels, NFC and a lot more memory.

But the overall design is the same. In fact, I dare say nothing has changed. It's the same trusty keyboard. The 4 iconic buttons now have their own dedicated buttons instead of smooth big area like in Bold 9700, which to me is a minus point in design. It's the familiar feeling of a BlackBerry device in my hands.

But therein lies the problem: I don't see anything new. I don't see a compelling reason to say that "These new guys? They're awesome". I don't like Apple devices in general, they're basically overpriced, but I can honestly and objectively say that if there's something Apple did right, it's making their overpriced mp3 players have smooth user experience. iPhones have always been reactive and the general touch feeling is right. BlackBerry 7? Not really. Especially when I'm presented with the same theme from BlackBerry 6, only with new icons. I'm not impressed.Heck, I can definitely say that the new Curve 9220 is merely 8520 with new 4 buttons and better hardware, and that's what my friend told me when he saw it.

Don't get me wrong. BlackBerry devices can do things as advertised. I'm not saying they're bad, but they sure can't compete in the whole "user experience" battle.

Almost the same thing with Playbook. With so many iPads around, I find myself stumped trying to find the "back" button. I don't find it intuitive that I have to start sliding from outside the display viewport in order to go back to main menu. I spent a good few minutes and gave up, as the clerk only said "swipe up". I only realized that he started swiping from outside the viewport when he directly demonstrated it (he still didn't tell me, though, I observed myself). The animation is a bit jerky, and the screen is a tad small. But Playbook is not that bad. The "back" button is a bit hard to reach sometimes, it's just that RIM's model is a bit unintuitive. Also, I've heard that OS 2.0 for Playbook improves the experience dramatically.
    05-06-12 04:59 AM
    I definitely agree with you on some parts. I think it's generally been accepted that BB7 was not supposed to bring the "WOW" factor back to RIM; at best, it was probably designed just to bridge the gap between BB6 & BB10. BB10 is what is supposed to bring the glitz and glamour back, so we'll just have to see what it brings!

As for the PB, I half agree/disagree about its intuitive UI. As I had this debate w/ a friend of mine awhile ago, the iOS UI seems intuitive because it the first mass-selling device and we all became accustomed to such a UI. Therefore, we could argue iOS is more "intuitive."
    On the other hand, swipes gestures are also "intuitive," in the sense they follow natural human gestures (supposedly). So, depending on what you define as intuitive, each of OS can cater for that. Let's bear in mind, iOS has added gesture motions in updates and Android is beginning to as well. And of course, we've already seen WP8. I'll be the first to admit I had trouble demoing the PB in a store, as I did not know how to use it (got one in the end though!).
    Nashstruck likes this.
    05-06-12 05:08 AM
    I beg the difference, but everyone has an opinion, I guess the accuracy of that opinion is based on the company you keep. I suggest visiting another site where your disappointed in BlackBerry devices may be more welcomed.
    05-06-12 05:12 AM
    It may have something to do with the fact that I just tested NOKIA Lumia 810 (which is more responsive and smooth than any BlackBerry I've tried since) and the fact that the devices are connected to this big connector on its back, but I'm not impressed with BlackBerry 7.

The screen is a tad small for touchscreen operations. Torch models suffer graphics smoothness problem even with hardware accelerated graphics, and the whole experience is not engaging. It doesn't make me go "WOW", despite me being a fan of BlackBerry.

It is the same feeling all over again when I first installed BlackBerry 6 on my Bold 9700. It's the same "nothing new but the theme" feeling. The underlying hardware have gone very far from my old Bold 9700, that's for certain. They have more pixels, NFC and a lot more memory.

But the overall design is the same. In fact, I dare say nothing has changed. It's the same trusty keyboard. The 4 iconic buttons now have their own dedicated buttons instead of smooth big area like in Bold 9700, which to me is a minus point in design. It's the familiar feeling of a BlackBerry device in my hands.

But therein lies the problem: I don't see anything new. I don't see a compelling reason to say that "These new guys? They're awesome". I don't like Apple devices in general, they're basically overpriced, but I can honestly and objectively say that if there's something Apple did right, it's making their overpriced mp3 players have smooth user experience. iPhones have always been reactive and the general touch feeling is right. BlackBerry 7? Not really. Especially when I'm presented with the same theme from BlackBerry 6, only with new icons. I'm not impressed.Heck, I can definitely say that the new Curve 9220 is merely 8520 with new 4 buttons and better hardware, and that's what my friend told me when he saw it.

Don't get me wrong. BlackBerry devices can do things as advertised. I'm not saying they're bad, but they sure can't compete in the whole "user experience" battle.

Almost the same thing with Playbook. With so many iPads around, I find myself stumped trying to find the "back" button. I don't find it intuitive that I have to start sliding from outside the display viewport in order to go back to main menu. I spent a good few minutes and gave up, as the clerk only said "swipe up". I only realized that he started swiping from outside the viewport when he directly demonstrated it (he still didn't tell me, though, I observed myself). The animation is a bit jerky, and the screen is a tad small. But Playbook is not that bad. The "back" button is a bit hard to reach sometimes, it's just that RIM's model is a bit unintuitive. Also, I've heard that OS 2.0 for Playbook improves the experience dramatically.
    Lol, you're a bit late don't you think? OS7 has been out for over 6 months and it was very late as it was.

OS7 is not about wow, it's about getting things done.
    05-06-12 05:16 AM
    Yes, I agree with the "iPad set the standard" part. I find Playbook's take a good thing, as the "back" button is hard to reach, and the swipe gesture is actually better once user gets the hang of it. I guess it's a wrong choice of word. I should've said that RIM "doesn't make it really apparent".

The store is some kind of a BlackBerry Center. People flock there to look at BlackBerries, and Playbook doesn't seem to get that much attention. Add to that the fact that not all clerks know how to use Playbook, it makes me think Playbook is not that good

Also, the price of BlackBerry 7 devices are not competitive. With the same amount of money, I can get a much better device (hardware-wise) from different vendor. RIM needs to set their own standard here.
    05-06-12 05:19 AM
    I find it incredible that you are making all these comments about BB7 and the current PB when all eyes are focusing on the new QNX o/s, the upcoming BB10 devices and the 4G PB. I mean... Seriously??
    05-06-12 06:03 AM
    I think the "wow" factor with BB comes after you use it for a couple of weeks and understand the shortcuts. The "wow" comes when you realize that, hey with this device I get my work done so I can have more time to relax. Where as with iPhone & Android you waste much more time "playing" and get bombarded by all the useless apps.

You can always put good points to any device, but I don't understand the negativity that is coming towards BB; maybe it is just because others are still jealous
    05-06-12 06:41 AM
    I agree with some of your points about OS7. The BBOS has been around a long time and as it is it can't go any further. It isn't flashy, the spinning clock is annoying. On the other hand a BlackBerry is a productivity tool. It's elegance is in it's simplicity and efficiency in just getting things done.

PlayBook I disagree with. Bezel gestures are very intuitive and make navigation and use so fast. It makes perfect sense.

I think BB10 will address all of the issue you have with OS7.

Personally, I like the BlackBerry OS. Like others have said it's not the type of phone that is eye candy and makes you say wow at first. The wow factor comes in time when you see how much a BlackBerry helps you stay organized, in touch, and on track. That's the wow.
    Spencerdl, kbz1960, joski and 1 others like this.
    05-06-12 06:49 AM
    I bet people had to be shown how to use the back button too back then when iOS wasn't stale and old also.
    joski likes this.
    05-06-12 07:58 AM
    If your coming from a bb that runs os 5 to a bb running os 7 you'll be more impressed, but coming from anything other then bb and yeah your guna be blown away at how old the os really is. Their still really sleek messaging phones, but todays consumers want more, and for the price androids and iphones do more and are more capable smartphones.

As far as bb10..even if qnx is a powerhouse and "cascades" is cool that dosent automatically translate into sales, there has to be a reason someone is guna ditch their existing phone for one of these and as far as I can see there is none. I'd even go as far as saying bb10 isn't even in beta form yet, RIM isn't moving fast enough with enough to offer consumers to make it happen atm imho. That's why their stock is heading for single digits, is because nobody can see what makes bb10 so great, if they can't how will a consumer?

Your looking at the same RIM guys, new ceo, same company. Their in transition to bb10 with the same way of doing things from early 2000's and it dosent work in 2012 with this level of competition. My 2 cents
    Last edited by MadMax8778; 05-06-12 at 08:15 AM.
    05-06-12 08:13 AM
    I kept thinking as I was reading most of your post: " If it ain't broke don't fix it"
    05-06-12 08:15 AM
    The stock price has nothing to do with what bb10 will or will not bring. It has to do with how much are you selling now.
    05-06-12 08:16 AM
    The stock price has nothing to do with what bb10 will or will not bring. It has to do with how much are you selling now.
    Exactly. And what is rim selling now? Bb7 and alpha versions of bb10 (to the press in terms of media coverage) so your left with not that much to go on for investors and consumers moving forward.
    05-06-12 08:24 AM
    Exactly. And what is rim selling now? Bb7 and alpha versions of bb10 (to the press in terms of media coverage) so your left with not that much to go on for investors and consumers moving forward.
    Investors have already invested, what's left now is speculators that seem to want to push the stock price down.

As bad as you think OS7 might be RIM is still selling them in millions and still adding millions new subscribers.

Obviously there's still a market for OS7 BBs or nobody would be buying them.
    05-06-12 08:55 AM
    I agree with the OP's comments on Blackberry 7 OS (poorest mobile OS, particularly user interface, available) but disagree on Blackberry QNX/Tablet OS. I've said this for awhile (ever since I bought my HP TouchPad back in November), but a gesture interface is MUCH more intuitive than a non-gesture interface, once you spend a few minutes with it and learn the key basics. The gesture interface becomes particularly more user-friendly on a larger-screen device.
    05-06-12 08:57 AM
    I like OS 7 more than any other mobile OS out there right now. But then I liked OS 5 and 6, too, mainly because it just does what I need it to do more easily than the others. I also find the PlayBook's UI to be much more intuitive than that of the iPad, particularly when I want to run multiple apps. @OP, perhaps it's just time for you to move on to another platform.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    05-06-12 09:04 AM
    It took my 4 year old daughter 5 minutes to get the hang of the swipes, if thats not intuitive what is then?
    05-06-12 09:11 AM
    I have to say, I don't understand why there isn't a panel/poster showing you how to use the PB in stores. Maybe this isn't the case in the US, but from where I am, at best you just get a panel showing what the PB can do, but not actually HOW to use it.
    05-07-12 04:49 AM
    I bet people had to be shown how to use the back button too back then when iOS wasn't stale and old also.
    To this day tons of people still don't know how to double click the home button on iOS in order to multitask. With QNX you do a sideways swipe and boom! You're in that other app. So yes, in some ways the PB's UI is better.
    05-07-12 05:20 AM
    I find it incredible that you are making all these comments about BB7 and the current PB when all eyes are focusing on the new QNX o/s, the upcoming BB10 devices and the 4G PB. I mean... Seriously??
    That's probably because 99% of the world only care about what is available today and have no idea what is coming out in the future.
    05-07-12 08:17 AM
    If your coming from a bb that runs os 5 to a bb running os 7 you'll be more impressed, but coming from anything other then bb and yeah your guna be blown away at how old the os really is. Their still really sleek messaging phones, but todays consumers want more, and for the price androids and iphones do more and are more capable smartphones.
    absolutely. coming from my old 8900 was like night and day. OS 7 was a huge upgrade for me.

When I turn on my 8900 now it looks and feels archaic. Thats why I can understand when people who have Blackberry's with OS 5 or lower complain how they hate Blackberry and its not as good as iPhones or Androids. There was very little marketing for the new OS 7 devices and many people still dont even know they exist. They've already moved on to other platforms.

But like i've always said, Blackberry's are outstanding communication devices and iPhones are excellent multimedia devices.

They both can do some of the same things but they excel in certain areas.

Personally, I like to use my phone strictly for communication purposes and my Bold 9930 does that very well.

When i had my iPhone, I felt it lacked in that department. But it was great for apps and multimedia.
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-07-12 10:37 AM
    I have to say, I don't understand why there isn't a panel/poster showing you how to use the PB in stores. Maybe this isn't the case in the US, but from where I am, at best you just get a panel showing what the PB can do, but not actually HOW to use it.
    I'd say this problem falls under marketing and we know RIM really has to step it up when it comes to that.
    05-07-12 10:50 AM
    I'd say this problem falls under marketing and we know RIM really has to step it up when it comes to that.
    Completely agree! When I walked in the store the Playbook would be on display with a black screen because it was either:

a. not connected to the store's wifi
    b. if it was connected to wifi, no one knew how to use the bezel gestures to open the browser, an app, or at least the beautiful video demo.
    05-07-12 10:56 AM
    As for your comments about BB7 I agree. BBOS has always been nice and responsive, but I found it hard to enjoy on such small screens.

As for the PlayBook I half agree. The PlayBook OS is intuitive in my opinion, but there is a bit of a learning curve. If someone who hasn't seen one before picks up a PlayBook the whole concept of a touch sensitive bezel is new.
    05-07-12 03:27 PM
    Remind me to log onto the iPhone forums 7 months after the iPhone 5 comes out so I can post my review.
    05-07-12 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
Twig Error: Failed to write cache file "sites/crackberry.com/files/twig_cache/91/91086bec22c0f69d07737bdae683c2112422f3b01c37b114ed1ccbbba8c59695.php". (Line 80 in /web/drupal7-20200702105920/vendor/twig/twig/src/Cache/FilesystemCache.php)