Ok well I'm not begging yet... but I just bought a tour 9630 last night from a craigslist ad from a guy that works at a Tmobile booth at a local mall. He told me it's all set to go and the phone says "sprint" right on it so I know it was originally sold through sprint... I called sprint and they told me it needs to be deactivated from the Tmobile network first.

There is no sim card in the phone...

What now??

Is this phone "locked"?
    12-11-09 10:53 AM
    Just call t mobile and deactivate it. It shouldn't be somethig to be that scared of unless tmobile people want to be mean

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 11:02 AM
    T-mobile only hires meanies though

12-11-09 11:05 AM
    Unless the previous BlackBerry owner hasn't paid their bill and the BlackBerry has been blacklisted...

Call T-Mobile and give them the ESN to see what's up.

12-11-09 11:10 AM
    Ok well I'm not begging yet... but I just bought a tour 9630 last night from a craigslist ad from a guy that works at a Tmobile booth at a local mall. He told me it's all set to go and the phone says "sprint" right on it so I know it was originally sold through sprint... I called sprint and they told me it needs to be deactivated from the Tmobile network first.

There is no sim card in the phone...

What now??

Is this phone "locked"?
    It can't be deactivated by T-Mobile because TMO doesn't even offer the Tour
    to begin with. Deactivating a phone being used by a GSM network is taking
    the sim card out.

You need to call Sprint again and explain the situation again. The person you
    talked to has no idea what they're talking about. Find out if the ESN is bad.
    When someone doesn't pay a bill for a CDMA device the carrier has the right
    to block the phone from being used.

However if you unlocked the phone to use with a GSM carrier then you'd be fine.
    12-11-09 04:19 PM
    ok found the solution... hope this helps someone out in the future.

So the tour was being used on the t mobile network. don't ask i don't know how to set this up. what i needed to do was go to the 'manage connections' setting and click on 'mobile network options' ... in this screen you should click '1XEV' under the 'network technology' field and not have the 'GSM'/UMTS' option selected. So i'm guessing this phone is a dual network type phone that lets you use it on t mobile via GSM and CDMA thru sprint by selecting the corresponding option.

I activated my phone right on the sprint website at that point and went to that same screen again under 'manage connections' and clicked on 'mobile network options' ... then client the menu key and select update profile... the phone will start 'provisioning' and then you'll get the sprint navigation, browser etc apps loaded!

I also use google sync and i love it! I never hook up the blackberry to my pc and google sync will automatically once a day save your contacts, calendar to your google acct! love it.

thanks for the help guys
    12-11-09 04:43 PM
    Glad you got it working again! Yes, it's a global phone so you can set it to global or GSM when used out of the US.

Thanks for reporting back!

12-11-09 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD