on our motorcycles, my wife and me, starting August 1.st. We both have 8900's. Our carrier is AT&T. My R&D online tells me I will be roaming with "Roger"? when using the 8900 in Nova Scotia for phonecalls. mmmokay. Thats fine. And "Roger" will probably charge me for data too. And that's fine. But here's the thing. I've got apps and push email that constantly? talks to the "network". Facebook, Twitter, Reuters, AP,,,,,all these get updates pushed tomy blackberry. So my logical mind tells me that ..."Roger" will skin me alive by me simply keeping the 8900 on. Please tell me I am wrong, or...?
    07-27-09 05:08 PM
    you are right. When I travel to the states I turn data off and use text and phone calls.
    07-27-09 05:20 PM
    I've also heard of some people using data phones from the States while in Canada and winding up with giant bills (several thousand dollars in some cases). Best bet is to be safe and turn data off while roaming.
    07-27-09 05:24 PM
    There is really poor coverage for Rogers in Nova Scotia...just an FYI

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 05:29 PM
    I live right by the border, and Sprint and Verizon work fine in Canada, and your still running on Sprint. Not roaming. It's kinda magical.
    07-27-09 06:57 PM
    You should look at a map...Nova Scotia doesnt share a border with the US

07-27-09 07:03 PM
    Does Rogers (or any canadian gsm carriar) offer prepaid plans with data to avoid enormous fees while still using data?

07-27-09 07:34 PM
    Look at www.rogers.com or call 1888rogers1 for details.

07-27-09 07:47 PM
    You should look at a map...Nova Scotia doesnt share a border with the US

If you were reffering to me, I meant when we go to Montreal from where I live. We live near THAT border. I'm not ********.
    07-27-09 09:22 PM
    I'm on Verizon. Just got back from a 2-week motorcycle trip to the Gasp� Peninsula in Canada (and last year a two-week motorcycle trip to Nova Scotia). Data, BBM, texts and calls worked just like in the States (1X, no EVDO) BUT� 0.02 cents per kilobyte data usage, 69 cents per minute for phone calls, 50 cents per sent text message, 2 cents per received text message (in USD currency).

07-27-09 09:49 PM
    technically, regardless of countries we visit, or borders we cross, roaming charges for anything, be it calls/text msgs... we end up paying a lot more, bcos of the 3rd party telco surcharge.

when i travel:
    1. turn off data roaming
    2. bar incoming calls, or, divert calls
    07-27-09 10:33 PM
    Thanks guys. I'll be turning data off while up there. I might turn the Berry completely off and use my GO-phone.
    07-28-09 06:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD