Here's what I hear in the media..."Z10 is a great improvement for a Blackberry, but is not better than Android or iOS. When you factor in the "app gap", do not expect people to change. By the way, large corporations like Home Depot and CSFB are moving away from Blackberry."

Here's what I am experiencing: My employer (a bank) will refresh our fleet of 8,000 blackberries starting in May-June (kind of good, isn't it). Meanwhile, my wife bought a Z10 and she really likes it (switched from iPhone). She still has her music and loves the browser, typing and fluidity of the operating system. You really don't appreciate multi-tasking, peek and flow until you use them for a while.

So, we have an app gap. I told the team at Starbucks to get a BB10 App or I may move my annual spend (in the thousands) elsewhere. I will not subscribe to Netflix until they support BB10 and I may abandon my Sonos if they don't produce a free app. Here's the thing...I am going to take a stand for Blackberry. Why? 1) Because the South Koreans would buy a feature phone (vs a smart phone) if that is all Samsung produced. 2) Because BB users spend more $ and we have the right to ask these brands for more. 3) The media (excluding the NY Times) is anchored to a view of the world where Apple, Samsung, and Google can do not wrong while Microsoft can do anything they want.

Heins talks about BB looking at its NPS score. You can put me in the "Promoter" column BB.
    02-09-13 04:04 PM
    Well, in Canada they are saying that half of the people buying the new Zed10s are switching from iPhones and Android phones.
    02-09-13 04:14 PM
    Will your employer be getting Z10's or Q10's or a combination of both?
    02-09-13 04:15 PM
    I agree 100% with the OP's statement. I stand for BlackBerry, because it's different. Even with some shortcomings.
    02-09-13 04:18 PM
    Combination of both
    02-09-13 04:19 PM
    Doing great dude, thx for asking
    Nibs likes this.
    02-09-13 04:22 PM
    I would love the Starbucks app...It wouldn't be a necessity for me, but a huge plus. I also stand with and for BlackBerry. I would like to see a lot more media coverage and carrier promotion of BB10 though. Get the word out!
    02-09-13 04:27 PM
    I have that Starbucks app on my iPod touch, and it's pretty nice and very functional.

It's not a make-or-break for me, no app is, to be honest, but I did load some of the Starbucks cards I got for my birthday into it, and it's cool how you can just show your iPod/iPhone and have it be scanned. Then again, it's just as easy to hand a Starbucks card to the clerk too.

I've been tempted to buy Asphalt 7 and some other games on my iPod touch, it's the newest one and it's a pretty neat little device, but I'm just holding out until the Z10 is available in the States or the developers release it for the PlayBook!
    02-09-13 04:40 PM
    Here's what I hear in the media..."Z10 is a great improvement for a Blackberry, but is not better than Android or iOS. When you factor in the "app gap", do not expect people to change. By the way, large corporations like Home Depot and CSFB are moving away from Blackberry."

Here's what I am experiencing: My employer (a bank) will refresh our fleet of 8,000 blackberries starting in May-June (kind of good, isn't it). Meanwhile, my wife bought a Z10 and she really likes it (switched from iPhone). She still has her music and loves the browser, typing and fluidity of the operating system. You really don't appreciate multi-tasking, peek and flow until you use them for a while.

So, we have an app gap. I told the team at Starbucks to get a BB10 App or I may move my annual spend (in the thousands) elsewhere. I will not subscribe to Netflix until they support BB10 and I may abandon my Sonos if they don't produce a free app. Here's the thing...I am going to take a stand for Blackberry. Why? 1) Because the South Koreans would buy a feature phone (vs a smart phone) if that is all Samsung produced. 2) Because BB users spend more $ and we have the right to ask these brands for more. 3) The media (excluding the NY Times) is anchored to a view of the world where Apple, Samsung, and Google can do not wrong while Microsoft can do anything they want.

Heins talks about BB looking at its NPS score. You can put me in the "Promoter" column BB.
    My iphone friends that switched to bb10 are loving their new phones. Good word of mouth will beat any negative press from media. Apps are coming in the thousands.. Some of my favorites from playbook have not yet been ported over (spark chess, zinio, bbm music).. Everybody is impressed and bbm lists are filling up fast.. The media can say what they want.. people have stopped listening to them.
    02-09-13 04:50 PM
    Funny, I don't use netflix, but if an app came out for BB10 or the playbook, I think I would get it. I goto Starbucks all the time and never really thought about the app. Same thing, I would probably get it if it was on my Blackberry. Drop in the bucket but still their loss.
    02-09-13 04:50 PM
    Funny, I don't use netflix, but if an app came out for BB10 or the playbook, I think I would get it. I goto Starbucks all the time and never really thought about the app. Same thing, I would probably get it if it was on my Blackberry. Drop in the bucket but still their loss.
    Ignorance is a bliss dude
    02-09-13 04:56 PM
    When a device launches, early reports aren't always trustworthy. It's been heartening to hear of lineups the stores and sellouts here and there, but I saw two pieces of news that spoke volumes to me:
    • UK retailer Phones 4U reporting day-one sellouts at 55% of their 360 outlets--that's not "isolated"
    • T-Mobile's announcement that testing was "ahead of schedule" and they were prepared to move their Z10 launch date up to mid-March.
    02-09-13 05:04 PM
    Just did some searchin on craigslist and found many posts asking for z10 trading their samsung or iphone..yes..just do your local search. you will also find some posts selling for premium or people bought as part of contract and selling for over $600. post your feedback, I searched here locally and found many people loving and lookin to trade their non-bbs for z10
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-09-13 07:12 PM
    Will your employer be getting Z10's or Q10's or a combination of both?
    Do not forget multi million doallas companies will be ordering BBs in bulk..replacing their current BBs with new ones. My company will be replacing few hundreds to new ones. Only few hundreds but it matters when you combine all small ones and free marketing goes with it
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-09-13 07:14 PM
    I agree 100% with the OP's statement. I stand for BlackBerry, because it's different. Even with some shortcomings.
    I also fall into this category.

I view it like the ol' chicken and egg. What came first, the device or the apps? One has to come first. So, I'll buy it and assume the other will come.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-09-13 08:09 PM
    A very well written post by the OP. I am holding on to my 9900 until the Q10 becomes available here in Canada. I have always counted on Blackberry as a personal and business communications tool with one BB for each right now.

The only thing I don't undertand is peoples desire to pay for Netflix to watch B rate Movies on a 4" screen. I had Netflix at home for about 6 months and then cancelled as I had seen everything worth watching. Certainly wouldn't pay to watch Netflix on a tiny screen whether I was with Blackberry or another smartphone company.

Otherwise thanks for your wise words OP.
    02-09-13 08:28 PM
    Early indications are that the 10 can't b. Stopped! Apps will be here soon.
    02-09-13 10:54 PM
    Everyday the app gap is getting smaller and smaller. Remember, it's only been week and a half.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-10-13 02:03 AM
    The only thing I don't undertand is peoples desire to pay for Netflix to watch B rate Movies on a 4" screen.

Because with the new Z10 dock, you'll be able to connect your Z10 to your 42+ inch tv and watch netflix, surf the net, pretty much turn any tv into a smart tv. This is mobile computing. The real fun comes with the new playbook and this dock; using your Z10 as the remote, with the added abilty of multitasking, unlike a PS3, Xbox or Wii.
    Acumenight likes this.
    02-10-13 03:41 AM
    Agree. Well written. I am a promoter. Like you. Will buy a z10 this week when get home from overseas.
    02-10-13 04:29 AM
    I told the team at Starbucks to get a BB10 App or I may move my annual spend (in the thousands) elsewhere.
    So you also go to Starbucks twice a year?😂

I will not subscribe to Netflix until they support BB10.
    You would be best by eliminating "until they support BB10." Like someone else posted, I subscribed for a couple months. Didn't understand what the hype was about. If I want to watch crappy programming I just turn the television on. No need to pay more for it.

Netflix is one tax I don't have to pay.

I do share your passion and enjoy rooting for the underdog.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    02-10-13 09:05 AM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BB z10 Rocks!! ... I have converted some die hard Iphone users by just showing them the new Z10!! .....
    02-10-13 09:15 AM
    I wanna buy the BlackBerry Z10 so bad when it comes to Italy... What I'm concerned about is... Android ports!
    I don't want apps on my BlackBerry that are a bad version of Android apps, I want real apps! I hope as time goes by we'll see all those ports converted into native apps.
    The apps thing is the main problem to me.
    Native apps are damn good, but Android ports don't do justice to OUR platform in my opinion.
    glennster28 likes this.
    02-10-13 10:12 AM
    who cares Tim Hortons is better the Starbucks and they have an app for that, TimmyME, get it and support the Canadians even more
    wrusprod and w_lred like this.
    02-10-13 11:00 AM
    I'm thinking about just buying some Skype credits and actually calling UK stores and ask how many they have been doing. First hand info right there!!
    02-10-13 11:49 AM
58 123