All 1st and 2nd gen iPhones and iPod Touch units can get a $10 huge upgrade in firmware that takes away the tride and true zomg bb users can copy and paste and you can't chant heard so often, among about 15 other new features. So...other than having to use AT&T or Rogers to get an iPhone (which admittedly I don't want since I have an iPod Touch, I am sorta drooling over the Pre anyway and it may pull me away from RIM), this can't bode well for the Storm customer base.

You also get landscape keyboard function as well. All the little tweaks people have been complaining about are there. Apple actually listened. RIM could take a lesson. I mean, personally a $10 download option to give you the functions instead of only having it available on new devices (forcing the comsumer to replace a perfectly good device) is something that I truly appreciate.

Don't get me wrong! I love my Curve, but there have been little things lately that RIM does that get me wondering how they appreciate their customers, and its increasingly looking like my next device won't be a Berry. Another smartphone definitely, can't go back to a regular phone, but the certainty of it being a Berry is dropping...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-14-09 at 10:39 AM.
    06-14-09 10:36 AM
    In my opinion they shouldnt charge anything. They should just release it like other OS releases. But it doesnt affect me since I dont like either the storm or the Iphone.
    06-14-09 10:40 AM
    Considering the size and scope of the upgrade, $10 is nothing compared to $200 plus to get a new device. This isn't simply an OS upgrade.

06-14-09 10:43 AM
    All 1st and 2nd gen iPhones and iPod Touch units can get a $10 huge upgrade in firmware that takes away the tride and true zomg bb users can copy and paste and you can't chant heard so often, among about 15 other new features. So...other than having to use AT&T or Rogers to get an iPhone (which admittedly I don't want since I have an iPod Touch, I am sorta drooling over the Pre anyway and it may pull me away from RIM), this can't bode well for the Storm customer base.

You also get landscape keyboard function as well. All the little tweaks people have been complaining about are there. Apple actually listened. RIM could take a lesson. I mean, personally a $10 download option to give you the functions instead of only having it available on new devices (forcing the comsumer to replace a perfectly good device) is something that I truly appreciate.

Don't get me wrong! I love my Curve, but there have been little things lately that RIM does that get me wondering how they appreciate their customers, and its increasingly looking like my next device won't be a Berry. Another smartphone definitely, can't go back to a regular phone, but the certainty of it being a Berry is dropping...

Actually, only iPod Touch users pay for the upgraded firmware. Original iPhone and iPhone 3G users get the upgraded firmware for free. It's always been that way. OS 3.0 is free for iPhone owners, but iPod Touch owners will pay for it.
    06-14-09 10:46 AM
    Yes, I know it isnt just an upgrade. Yep, its a better option than buying a new device. I'm just saying, to me, I would think that a device like that would have been able to do simple tasks like all others can do and giving it to customers with accounts shouldnt be a charge...but nonetheless its a good thing.
    06-14-09 10:47 AM
    Yes, I know it isnt just an upgrade. Yep, its a better option than buying a new device. I'm just saying, to me, I would think that a device like that would have been able to do simple tasks like all others can do and giving it to customers with accounts shouldnt be a charge...but nonetheless its a good thing.
    Only iPod Touch owners pay, iPhone owners get it for free, no matter if you have the original, the 3G, or are getting the 3Gs.
    06-14-09 10:48 AM
    OH...ok see now thats stand up stuff right there. Iphone gets it free then thats great! Makes me almost think about getting one now. Wonder if you will be able to run two apps at the same time now. So you dont have to stop one thing to read email then go start your other thing again.
    06-14-09 10:53 AM
    OooO even better!

06-14-09 11:05 AM
    Does it have MMS now?
    06-14-09 11:53 AM
    Does it have MMS now?

And a flash for the camera??????
    06-14-09 12:08 PM
    Does it have MMS now?
    There's a strong rumor that AT&T won't allow the MMS function to work.
    06-14-09 12:11 PM
    Does the iPod Touch require some sort of data plan??? Not sure how the wifi works on that.
    06-14-09 12:15 PM
    Touch doesn't need data, straight wifi like a PS3 or Xbox.

Incidentally, I adore my touch and if I dropped both it and the Berry at the same time and could only save 1 device, the berry dies lol.

06-14-09 12:17 PM
    Does it have MMS now?
    Um...who cares? A year and a half and I've never sent nor received one. Whoopdadeedoo

06-14-09 12:19 PM
    OH NOES!!!

+1 smugness points for iPhone
    -1 smugness point for Blackberry

If Blackberry had as many gaping holes in their OS, such as no cut and paste, then each little addition would be big news too....
    06-14-09 12:19 PM
    MMS will be there in late Summer (AT&T)
    Rest of the iPhone world will have MMS

I rather have a 3.2 than a 2.0 with flash, but I still prefer the BB over an Apple.
    06-14-09 12:20 PM
    OH NOES!!!

+1 smugness points for iPhone
    -1 smugness point for Blackberry

If Blackberry had as many gaping holes in their OS, such as no cut and paste, then each little addition would be big news too....
    That's my point. Each device has a weakness. However the first thing the fanbois on cb say is COPY AND PASTE. They can't anymore.

My real point? RIM could learn from Apple that listening to the complaints of its customers is good. The closer the competition gets to them, the less they respond.

06-14-09 12:24 PM
    That's my point. Each device has a weakness. However the first thing the fanbois on cb say is COPY AND PASTE. They can't anymore.
    The new thing will be the "ease of copy and paste" on a Blackberry as
    opposed to an iPhone.
    06-14-09 12:47 PM
    to each his own, I guess that's why they make more than one type of phone.
    06-14-09 12:48 PM
    Communications and the ability to type on a real keyboard. That's the main thing. All the other stuff is hoo haa smoke and mirrors to me.

06-14-09 01:03 PM
    Do you have to still pay twice from itunes to assign a ringtone or a message tone from your mp3 library? Do you have to jailbreak it just to have a different background on the homescreen. There are still multiple flaws with iphone OS3 maybe by the time OS5 comes out we can have a true comparison with flagship bb devices.

06-14-09 01:23 PM
    Do you have to still pay twice from itunes to assign a ringtone or a message tone from your mp3 library? Do you have to jailbreak it just to have a different background on the homescreen. There are still multiple flaws with iphone OS3 maybe by the time OS5 comes out we can have a true comparison with flagship bb devices.

Yeah cause BB OS is perfect? God BB fanboys are the worst.
    06-14-09 01:29 PM

Yeah cause BB OS is perfect? God BB fanboys are the worst.
    Here we go....
    06-14-09 01:30 PM

Can you now get your entire message and have the HTML render properly? Can you download anything > 5MB with your $30 data plan? Can you sync your entire PIM, not just inbox, but subfolders, contacts and calendar without connecting to your PC? Maybe by the time BBOS 6 comes out RIM will stop making up pay the BES tax and still not do the basics.

I am a BB user for almost 7 years, but there is nothing new or innovative coming out of Waterloo these days.
    06-14-09 01:36 PM
    accept for the fact that a iPhone is still not a multi tasking device..
    06-14-09 01:51 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD