I've been onto the amazon android app store and even picked up a couple of apps and then deleted them. Most of them are pretty gimmicky and a waste of time. What I like about the BlackBerry is the predictive typing keyboard and the super fast browser. I finger that if you just get the phone into people's hands let them use it for a wile the people will decide that they don't really need those apps any way,but if you have to make those apps available in order to get a BlackBerry into their hands to begin with then go for it.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 07:09 PM
    What about Nokia X?

"Nokia X smartphones are your Fastlane to Android� Apps. Available in a luscious array of colours, with durable Nokia build quality. Find the one for you below."

Nokia X products - Nokia
    When blackberry does it it's no good.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 07:27 PM
    The Nokia X is an Android phone at least. So it makes sense.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-14 08:37 PM
    People always complain that BlackBerrys got no apps... well this is the answer to their complaints...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Only in the short term. I see Snap and Android apps as being a stop gap measure only. I don't see the average user wanting to go through the hassle of side loading snap.

BlackBerry needs to work having a large selection of built for BlackBerry apps. Those are way better than the Android apps installed through Snap.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-14 09:00 PM
    Access Google Play on BB10. Natively without Snap.
    While that would great, I can't see Google agreeing to that.

05-19-14 09:03 PM
    While that would great, I can't see Google agreeing to that.

Agree. It will never happen. With ota apk installs BlackBerry has basically given users a 'jail broken' phone out of the box and is nudge nudge wink winking them to get apps from wherever necessary until such time that BlackBerry World has everything.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-14 10:15 PM
    Actually, they do recommend using Snap. Interesting.

http://id.blackberry.com/smartphones...tructions.html

They r probably referring primarily to android ports that are available in BlackBerry world. I doubt they would be marketing the ability to do it urself through apps like snap, as they couldn't guarantee every app would work

Posted via CB10
    peregrineay likes this.
    05-19-14 10:16 PM
    Yes, they do. There are instructions in BlackBerry Indonesia website.
    Android Instructions - Indonesia
    Use Google translate if you don't understand bhs indo.

Do they tech customers to install a custom app store? Otherwise this information is pretty useless for 98% of consumers.

It would most likely cause confusion:

Customer: "You said it has android apps? But I can't find X major app"
    sales person: "it said android ready, but you must manually do these 5 steps"
    Customer: "I don't like this anymore"
    peregrineay likes this.
    05-19-14 10:32 PM
    Agree. It will never happen. With ota apk installs BlackBerry has basically given users a 'jail broken' phone out of the box and is nudge nudge wink winking them to get apps from wherever necessary until such time that BlackBerry World has everything.

Posted via CB10
    Stop gap measure, pure and simple. Something so that more dedicated BlackBerry users can have access to a wider range of apps so that they don't leave BlackBerry.

05-19-14 10:54 PM
    Who cares, there are lots of crappy Android devices out there on which plenty of apps "don't work", and provide a horrible, horrible android experience, and yet they still plaster the little green Android and the Google logo all over.

I'm sure the Z3 would be much much less of a disappointment than those pieces of junk.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and spikesolie like this.
    05-19-14 10:57 PM
    Never used an Android App, WHY start now?
    05-19-14 11:25 PM
    Who cares, there are lots of crappy Android devices out there on which plenty of apps "don't work", and provide a horrible, horrible android experience, and yet they still plaster the little green Android and the Google logo all over.

I'm sure the Z3 would be much much less of a disappointment than those pieces of junk.

Posted via CB10
    Not the point.

05-19-14 11:34 PM
    The point is to start with making the runtime run apps like a note 3 does.. FAST, then advertise the availability of it

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 11:39 PM
    Jesus Christ I didn't think they'd dare to use Snap as an example.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    Shhhh google is listening ;-)

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    05-20-14 12:13 AM
    They should preload a few android apps and the amazon ...

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 12:14 AM
    The Nokia X is an Android phone at least. So it makes sense.
    It's no more a Google sanctioned device than the Android Runtime on BlackBerry. It doesn't have Google Services either.

What about Jolla?

There you have it: two examples where competing ecosystems are advertised front and center to sell another mobile OS.
    05-20-14 12:24 AM
    Only in the short term. I see Snap and Android apps as being a stop gap measure only. I don't see the average user wanting to go through the hassle of side loading snap.

BlackBerry needs to work having a large selection of built for BlackBerry apps. Those are way better than the Android apps installed through Snap.

They need quick solutions... waiting on first party developers is not an option. hopefully once they hit profits they'll be pushing on native apps much more.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-20-14 12:40 AM
    It's no more a Google sanctioned device than the Android Runtime on BlackBerry. It doesn't have Google Services either.

What about Jolla?

There you have it: two examples where competing ecosystems are advertised front and center to sell another mobile OS.
    Yes there are examples, but not from major players. Wether this is a winning strategy remains to be seen.
    05-20-14 01:10 AM
    Shhhh google is listening ;-)

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    BlackBerry Indonesia calls Snap "3rd party market". I suppose strictly, technically speaking it's correct. In BlackBerry's point of view Google Play is indeed 3rd party market. But considering Snap is merely a client (and unofficial at that, relying on some API I actually never saw), it's kind of grey in legal grounds.

Not that it prevents me from installing it lol. But still, me personally telling my friends about it and BlackBerry specifically mentioning it are two entirely different matters

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    05-20-14 01:12 AM
    This is the official English page of that Android Instructions page:

Since Z3 is only available in Indonesia for now, you can't access that page from the native English sites (such as us.blackberry.com), the Z3 entry is not there.

As you can see, they don't mention snap in the English version. Don't know why, but interesting nevertheless.

They also mention this:
    Android App Compatible*
    Some of your favorite Android apps can now be enjoyed on your BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition.

*Android apps can be downloaded directly from third party Android app stores, which can be accessed on the Internet ? allowing you to enjoy some of the world?s most popular titles. However, not all Android apps are supported and compatibility may vary by smartphone and/or source.

Android is a trademark of Google Inc. which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this ad.

http://id.blackberry.com/smartphones...ures/apps.html

I don't know whether they openly promote that page or not tho. Google might do something about Snap if it threatens them

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-20-14 01:22 AM
    no steps if you use the apktrain site but Snap is more comprehensive
    05-20-14 01:28 AM
    they took down those pages fast

Since Z3 is only available in Indonesia for now, you can't access that page from the native English sites (such as us.blackberry.com), the Z3 entry is not there.

As you can see, they don't mention snap in the English version. Don't know why, but interesting nevertheless.

They also mention this:
    Android App Compatible*
    Some of your favorite Android apps can now be enjoyed on your BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition.

*Android apps can be downloaded directly from third party Android app stores, which can be accessed on the Internet ? allowing you to enjoy some of the world?s most popular titles. However, not all Android apps are supported and compatibility may vary by smartphone and/or source.

Android is a trademark of Google Inc. which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this ad.

I don't know whether they openly promote that page or not tho. Google might do something about Snap if it threatens them

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-20-14 01:34 AM
    pay no attention to some people BB...get on your feet, get a prop if you need to--- and when you can stand for yourself then,,we don our own thing
    05-20-14 01:41 AM
    I was shocked when I read that too.

They also mention this:
    Android App Compatible*

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-20-14 01:53 AM
    they took down those pages fast
    LOL

I wonder if Lawyers were involved 😉

JBB
    05-20-14 03:34 AM
326 1234 ...