So is BB10 ready for Android to be an official feature?-boajv0kceaalfmw.png

The Z3 is being touted as being Android Ready

BlackBerry 10 Can Run 98% Of All Android Apps According To Chen | N4BB

And Chen is saying that BB10 can run 98% of Android Apps.

Do you think they are about to announce something? Or is this just some lose marketing?
    05-19-14 01:36 PM
    "lose marketing"? you mean... marketing.
    05-19-14 01:47 PM
    They r probably referring primarily to android ports that are available in BlackBerry world. I doubt they would be marketing the ability to do it urself through apps like snap, as they couldn't guarantee every app would work

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 03:08 PM
    And can I just say... it's about time for this type of dam marketing!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 03:10 PM
    I suspect customer service expectations in emerging markets do not match what are accustomed in NA/Euro. Does anyone know what the typical return policies are for smartphones in Indonesia for instance?
    05-19-14 03:56 PM
    I think its also about promoting BlackBerry app world to the local developersm

BB10 - call blocking please, BBM - too many to list
    TheBlkGuyFrmWrk likes this.
    05-19-14 04:02 PM
    They r probably referring primarily to android ports that are available in BlackBerry world. I doubt they would be marketing the ability to do it urself through apps like snap, as they couldn't guarantee every app would work

Posted via CB10
    This makes no sense. Why would only 98% of android ports in BlackBerry World work? I would expect 100% of those to work.

BlackBerry is referring to android apps outside of BlackBerry World. In another thread a poster mentioned that BlackBerry employees in Indonesia were directing users to third party apk sites.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 04:05 PM
    It is great that they are finally doing this. They need to get the word out that apps are available for the platform, either in BlackBerry World or outside of it. Before the negative folks start up, let's not forget that many ios users jail break their phones so they can install apps outside of iTunes. And android users evidently like to do this too, if they didn't then sites like apk train and 1 mobile would not exist.

Posted via CB10
    spyeagle likes this.
    05-19-14 04:08 PM
    This makes no sense. Why would only 98% of android ports in BlackBerry World work? I would expect 100% of those to work.

BlackBerry is referring to android apps outside of BlackBerry World. In another thread a poster mentioned that BlackBerry employees in Indonesia were directing users to third party apk sites.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't mention the 98% statistic. Also, the poster makes no mention of it either. Those are words that came from John chefs mouth. With this information you can't make that conclusion.

Also, I am skeptical of 98% of apps working, whilst this may be true... there are a lot of android apps in google.play. if someone would chime in with the number of apps in google play, you would find it hard to believe anybody even at blackberry has tested that many apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 04:34 PM
    Given that Google Play probably still lists apps needing a minimum of Froyo, Android 2.2, BB10's support of Android 4.2 probably means a lot of apps work with it.
    05-19-14 04:51 PM
    I didn't mention the 98% statistic. Also, the poster makes no mention of it either. Those are words that came from John chefs mouth. With this information you can't make that conclusion.

Also, I am skeptical of 98% of apps working, whilst this may be true... there are a lot of android apps in google.play. if someone would chime in with the number of apps in google play, you would find it hard to believe anybody even at blackberry has tested that many apps.

Posted via CB10
    There's over a million Android apps on Google Play so just by rough estimations approximately 20 000 apps won't work. That's still a lot of apps. Mostly due to Google Play Services I'd imagine.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 05-19-14 at 08:02 PM.
    05-19-14 04:55 PM
    There's over a million Android apps on Google Play so just by rough estimations approximately 200 000 apps won't work. That's still a lot of apps. Mostly due to Google Play Services I'd imagine.

Posted via CB10
    Its more skewed than that. The more popular the app is the more likely its tied to Google services as the analytics and features that GFS provides are valuable to larger companies. Flashlight apps don't need GFS. But larger apps need location/authentication and such.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-14 05:04 PM
    It's a big step and a clear indicator of where BlackBerry stands on Android applications - clearly as part of its future plans. Not sure if I would advertise it as fully compatible yet though without Play Services framework integration..
    05-19-14 05:07 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BoAjV0KCEAALfMw.png 
Views:	4605 
Size:	469.5 KB 
ID:	271984

The Z3 is being touted as being Android Ready

BlackBerry 10 Can Run 98% Of All Android Apps According To Chen | N4BB

And Chen is saying that BB10 can run 98% of Android Apps.

Do you think they are about to announce something? Or is this just some lose marketing?
    They can created a partnership with Google. Maybe it will come to North America.
    05-19-14 05:37 PM
    Often advertisements in these countries don't come straight from the horses mouth. Highly doubtful that "android ready" is a a term officially endorsed or approved by BlackBerry. I don't think this is the beginning of something new or that something is going to be announced. I think its some kids fresh out of school that were hired to do some marketing and did just that.
    05-19-14 05:52 PM
    Throw everything against the wall and see what sticks.
    JeepBB, itzJustMeh and TioPepe78 like this.
    05-19-14 05:57 PM
    I hope it's no strategy.

Couldn't imagine any other manufacturer advertising a competing ecosystem front and center while trying to launch a hero device.
    05-19-14 06:01 PM
    You said that there was over a million android apps on Google play and 98 percent can be used by BlackBerry then you said that would leave 200,000 apps that BlackBerry users would be unable to use. I think you need to work on your math. I think you miss placed a decimal. According to my calculations it would make it just over 20,000 apps unavailable which on the flip side would make over 980,000 android apps available to BlackBerry users on Google play.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 06:05 PM
    I hope it's no strategy.

Couldn't imagine any other manufacturer advertising a competing ecosystem front and center while trying to launch a hero device.
    People always complain that BlackBerrys got no apps... well this is the answer to their complaints...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    05-19-14 06:06 PM
    Android ready sounds like the bootloader is unlocked and I can flash an Android image.
    app_Developer and bp3dots like this.
    05-19-14 06:07 PM
    You said that there was over a million android apps on Google play and 98 percent can be used by BlackBerry then you said that would leave 200,000 apps that BlackBerry users would be unable to use. I think you need to work on your math. I think you miss placed a decimal. According to my calculations it would make it just over 20,000 apps unavailable which on the flip side would make over 980,000 android apps available to BlackBerry users on Google play.

Posted via CB10
    Oops, yes that's what I meant. This is what happens when I do math on a Monday that's a statutory holiday.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 05-19-14 at 08:00 PM.
    05-19-14 06:23 PM
    Do they tech customers to install a custom app store? Otherwise this information is pretty useless for 98% of consumers.

It would most likely cause confusion:

Customer: "You said it has android apps? But I can't find X major app"
    sales person: "it said android ready, but you must manually do these 5 steps"
    Customer: "I don't like this anymore"
    NG888 likes this.
    05-19-14 06:25 PM
    I hope it's no strategy.

What about Nokia X?

"Nokia X smartphones are your Fastlane to Android™ Apps. Available in a luscious array of colours, with durable Nokia build quality. Find the one for you below."

Nokia X products - Nokia
    mnc76 likes this.
    05-19-14 06:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Access Google Play on BB10. Natively without Snap.
    05-19-14 06:41 PM
    Access Google Play on BB10. Natively without Snap.
    This will take a agreement between Google and BlackBerry to make it happen.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-19-14 07:08 PM
326 123 ...