So one Talk Radio station yesterday in Toronto decided to bash Blackberry on the release of the BB10 devices. (Based largely on their experiences of the BBM outages a year ago which made them leave BB for iPhone).

Anyways one of their largest complaints was that RIM (oops I mean Blackberry) was dumb to call it the Z10 and announce it as ZED10 instead of ZEE10 because the americans will say "WTH is a Zee"

I personally dont see the problem... but I am Canadian...so Americans do you care, or is this as trivial as I think it is?
    01-31-13 09:03 AM
    Look at RIM's stock to see if we care! It is a $12 and on the way to $9
    01-31-13 09:09 AM
    at 13.01 right now

And Goldman Sachs today said that people should buy it, because they see strong potential for the next 3 quarters

Goldman Sachs: BlackBerry's a 'Buy' after big reveal, share price drop | CTV News
    01-31-13 09:13 AM
    @greggebhardt, very respectfully, I believe we've heard your message loud and clear. Do you have positions ?
    If yes : are yous masochist or such ?
    If no : WTF ?
    There are dedicated threads about the stock value and flooding everywhere your anger is inappropriate, IMHO.
    Thank you

Edit : By this I mean, do you seriously believe "Zee" or "Zed" will surge or dump the stock ?
    01-31-13 09:14 AM
    So one Talk Radio station yesterday in Toronto decided to bash Blackberry on the release of the BB10 devices. (Based largely on their experiences of the BBM outages a year ago which made them leave BB for iPhone).

Anyways one of their largest complaints was that RIM (oops I mean Blackberry) was dumb to call it the Z10 and announce it as ZED10 instead of ZEE10 because the americans will say "WTH is a Zee"

I personally dont see the problem... but I am Canadian...so Americans do you care, or is this as trivial as I think it is?
    To be frank with you, Americans have no clue the rest of the English speaking world calls this letter (Z) "Zed". So realistically, when they see it on the shelf at a store they will pronounce it "Zee10". So that is actually a nonissue. Why a Toronto man is concerned with what people actually call the phone is beyond me, its units will sell without regard for the pronunciation.

This is how Wall Street feels about BBRY. Personally, I think Wall Street is full of Crooks and Scoundrals. To borrow a phrase, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
    Last edited by CranBerry413; 01-31-13 at 09:35 AM.
    kbz1960, brian4591 and LewLew23 like this.
    01-31-13 09:17 AM
    I would have preferred a real name and not a letter of the alphabet. But the way you pronounce a letter is not important and I think most Americans will use the zee sound. Most Americans are not concerned about the specific name as they are about the over all name. For example most I phone users refer to their phone as "I phone" and not the 4s or 5 unless someone is specifically asking which model.
    01-31-13 09:19 AM
    To be frank with you, Americans have no clue the rest of the English speaking world calls this letter (Z) "Zed". So realistically, when they see it on the shelf at a store they will pronounce it "Zee10". So that is actually a nonissue. Why a Toronto man is concerned with what people actually call the phone is beyond me, its units will sell without regard for the pronunciation.

This is how Wall Street feeks about BBRY. Personally, I think Wall Street is full of Crooks and Scoundrals. To borrow a phrase, "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
    I agree Americans will just call it Zee... what they complained about is that the Launch event they said "ZED" .. personally I think they were being dumb
    01-31-13 09:21 AM
    Does it matter? When people go into the shops this week they are just going to ask for the new blackberry...
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    01-31-13 09:24 AM
    Not sure if it matters or not. My company provides my phone, and they have yet to announce what they are planning to do since there will be no BESX. So I didn't expect to see a new BB right away anyway.
    01-31-13 09:26 AM
    Which radio station was it? Let me guess, 102?
    01-31-13 09:28 AM
    I don't care. They where speaking to a worldwide group. If most pronounce Z ZED then that is how it should be said.
    01-31-13 09:29 AM
    Which radio station was it? Let me guess, 102?

AM640 (Bill Caroll show)
    01-31-13 09:31 AM
    I am happy. When I was a kid I got to train with the youth program soccer (football) at AZ Alkmaar in Holland. My wise a$$ son always laughs at me when I pronounced it Ah -zed. Now I have proof.
    01-31-13 09:36 AM
    AM640 (Bill Caroll show)
    Haha like he should talk. He records the first 2 hours of his show at 10am from LA, then comes on the air live from 6-7, the whole time he tells people that he's live in Toronto, he actually puts on an act that he moved back here. When the first 2 hours of his Toronto show is on the air, he's actually still live on the air in LA doing his show. So basically what I'm saying is, he has no credibility, and he's a tool.
    01-31-13 09:36 AM
    Mush more concerned with when I get it than why everyone in the world is pronouncing Zee wrong.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-13 09:38 AM
    I don't see how it matters.

I would just think people would pronounce the letter the way they normally would in their location.

I don't think any americans are going to go "oh wow, Thorstein Heins said its actually called ZED10, where as I thought it was ZEE10" They are just going to call it ZEE10 without any thought about it. Im sure.

Rush (a Canadian band) has a song called YYZ. I'm sure americans would just say "Zee" regardless of the origin of the content, it's not important
    01-31-13 09:49 AM
    Doesn't really matter except, IMO, at launch, Thor could have appended it with, "or as Americans pronounce it, Zee"....or something to that flavor. A little acknowledgement/clarification goes a long way, as listening to "Zed10" doesn't bode well with the average American in terms of product identity.
    01-31-13 10:07 AM
    nobody except very few immigrants are going to call it zed in the states so it doesn't even matter. Even all bb marketing in the states will say zee unless they plan to put in enough marketing dollars to spark a revolution..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    01-31-13 10:10 AM
    Too all of those emotionally invested in the stock, I am sorry you are losing money.
    And that's the problem with emotionally investing in stocks.
    And don't snap when someone mentioned, there is a 140 page thread bragging about how proud you are.
    01-31-13 10:16 AM
    And don't snap when someone mentioned, there is a 140 page thread bragging about how proud you are.
    only when flooding ... there are threads for that !
    01-31-13 10:21 AM
    I'm American and I like "Zed Ten" as opposed to "Zee Ten." To me, it rhymes better and, in the U.S., it makes it seem like a name as opposed to a letter and a number.
    01-31-13 10:22 AM
    Lol that reminds me of one time slipping on a call with an American and saying 'zed'. He cut me off and asked what I said. I explained I'm Canadian and we say zed. He told me that he hates it when foreigners move to the US (he didn't realize he was calling Canada) and "can't speak no proper English".

So since I'm me, I said, "sir, I live in Canada and can assure you I speak proper English. Just like you said I did."

Customer: "you don't speak proper, calling it zed, you should speak American not no fake english"

Me: "sir, you said I can't speak no proper English. You employed a double negative. What you actually said to me was that I can speak it. I'm all done getting that speed increase set up on your service, is there anything else I can help you with?"

At that he said no and called me a goddamn foreigner before he hung up.

Good times.

Edit

In would hope the US calls it Zed10, it was named Zed10. We don't call ZeeZeeTop ZedZedTop. They're named by Americans and as such we pronounce it as named. Since Zed10 is the name, I would hope the same rule applies in the other direction. It's name is Zed10.

I had to get the red SGS3...garnet is my birthstone! Excuses sent via Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 10:32 AM
    AM640 (Bill Caroll show)
    He needed people for his talk show thats why he did it,and he wanted to please his American radio station.Where is the show done? California.
    Never listen to him lol
    01-31-13 10:54 AM
    In would hope the US calls it Zed10, it was named Zed10. We don't call ZeeZeeTop ZedZedTop. They're named by Americans and as such we pronounce it as named. Since Zed10 is the name, I would hope the same rule applies in the other direction. It's name is Zed10.

I had to get the red SGS3...garnet is my birthstone! Excuses sent via Tapatalk 2
    Haha. "I'm sitting in my LaZed Boy."

Anyway i thought they mentioned it was going to be released as Zee10 in the States.
    01-31-13 11:11 AM
    I am enjoying my Zee 10 and no one here - NO ONE - will call it the Zed 10 unless they are being sarcastic.
    And color has no u.
    Sorry - just the way it is.
    01-31-13 11:15 AM
83 123 ...