If BB passport is getting amazon app store does this mean more android app support or is there some kinda trade off or catch?. Correct me if im wrong Isn't Amazon's app store just as bad as appworld?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    07-30-14 09:56 AM
    I highly doubt anything will change in the Amazon Appstore. You can load it up right now on your BB and i think it will be the exact same after 10.3 comes out. Remember is an Android appstore and I also wouldnt expect much support from the dev if you download a non working app. Amazon might refund you though
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-30-14 09:59 AM
    Bad in what sense?

Not sure I understand your question.
    07-30-14 10:01 AM
    Like in lack of apps which i assume why ppl are side loading android apps onto bb
    07-30-14 10:02 AM
    Like in lack of apps which i assume why ppl are side loading android apps onto bb
    From using my wife's Kindle Fire, I'd suggest that BB partnered with Amazon to make the BB Store look good!
    jimlockhead likes this.
    07-30-14 10:04 AM
    I never cared for the Android ported apps, so for me, the Amazon app store is just presenting me with a bunch of apps that I won't bother using.

But for other people who don't mind the slight lag and sluggishness of those Android apps, the Amazon app store might be the best thing ever.
    07-30-14 12:07 PM
    Any word if BB10.3 will fix any of that with this news of bb and amazon partnering up?
    07-30-14 12:13 PM
    If BB passport is getting amazon app store does this mean more android app support or is there some kinda trade off or catch?. Correct me if im wrong Isn't Amazon's app store just as bad as appworld?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Man all these responses and not one has any idea of what they're talking about.

Here's why Blackberry got together with amazon. You see amazon has been the most successful at getting android apps to work without the dreaded google Play services. Meaning all apps on the amazon store simply do not need the google crap bundle.

Amazon has been developing their own play services as per say and encouraging developers to fork their apps for their kindle and fire phone series. At the same time Blackberry so it seems has been developing their android framework with amazon's play services API's. To successfully eliminate the need of google Play services.

Meaning that in 10.3 Amazon android apps will work much better than any other app coming from any Google play umbrella stores. For example Snap.

What they're in effect working for is to liberate android from google's grasp.
    But of course we have to wait and see.

I wrote more extensively here if you are still curious about it.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=949341

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    07-30-14 04:02 PM
    The Amazon store is by no means perfect (far from it!). But it does have Shazam, Candy Crush, Netflix, and a few other popular titles not available in Blackberry World. Now having these apps is huge, especially with two new critical devices coming out. It's all about perception. And now reviewers can't hammer the new phones for lack of big name apps. It seems like every review keyed in on lack of netflix, instagram and games like Candy Crush. We now have all covered off with Amazon.
    07-30-14 04:15 PM
    Does amazon have hulu+

Uh kind of a off topic q but i dun wanna start a new topic for it.

Will the passport be available for enterprise purchase only?
    07-30-14 04:19 PM
    I still go to BlackBerry World. I did load some some android apps, but since deleted them due to permissions and lack of use. Going forward, I hope Amazon gets the apps to allow permission controls. I will use android apps for manufacturers specific apps. Eg NUUO camera viewer etc. Everything else belongs to BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    07-31-14 07:37 AM
    Amazon Appstore is about on par with Windows Store so abysmal with some big titles thrown in. What I don't understand is won't it just be as slow as Android apps or does the Amazon apps use their own runtime.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-31-14 07:39 AM
    The Amazon store is by no means perfect (far from it!). But it does have Shazam, Candy Crush, Netflix, and a few other popular titles not available in Blackberry World. Now having these apps is huge, especially with two new critical devices coming out. It's all about perception. And now reviewers can't hammer the new phones for lack of big name apps. It seems like every review keyed in on lack of netflix, instagram and games like Candy Crush. We now have all covered off with Amazon.
    Don't kid yourself though.
    For everyone who uses the Android that has access to the Google Play Store, the Amazon Store doesn't even compare.
    It's not even close.

Yes, it's better than BBW for consumer apps, but honestly, which App store isn't..?

In terms of criticising the lack of apps from reviewers, this is just a drop of cold water on an immensely hot stone.

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon and JeepBB like this.
    07-31-14 08:10 AM
    One thing that I didn't like was that some of the apps were several versions behind, so when you try to open them they require an update...that directs you to the playstore...which you can't use.

Don't give me this "it's liberating from play services" thing because one app that did that was Zedge...which doesn't require play services.
    07-31-14 08:50 AM

Here's why Blackberry got together with amazon. You see amazon has been the most successful at getting android apps to work without the dreaded google Play services. Meaning all apps on the amazon store simply do not need the google crap bundle.

Amazon has been developing their own play services as per say and encouraging developers to fork their apps for their kindle and fire phone series. At the same time Blackberry so it seems has been developing their android framework with amazon's play services API's. To successfully eliminate the need of google Play services.

Meaning that in 10.3 Amazon android apps will work much better than any other app coming from any Google play umbrella stores. For example Snap.

Amazon and Blackberry The Story of Two Struggles. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

If all things were equal and the Amazon App Store and Google Play had the exact same app selection, then yes it would be great to have the option be free from Google's grasp. But the two store selections aren't equal, and it is typically those apps that require Google services that are missing from Amazon.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-31-14 09:56 AM
    Here is an example of what consumers face every day.

http://www.usask.ca/ict/services/paws-iusask/iusask/

There are many sites offering their own app and that app is only available two ways - Google Play or Apple.

I would love a phone that had a dual boot OS or failing that an Android version of the Classic and Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 10:41 AM

Amazon and Blackberry The Story of Two Struggles. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

No apps using the "dreaded Google Play Services"... means a lot of the most wanted Google Apps aren't going to be there ..

You will note that Amazon's "ecosystem" is much more limited than Google's (only about 10% of Android Apps make it there), and also in many cases the apps there are not the latest versions. Go read several reviews on the Kindle line of products (Tablets and the new Phone), most all mention the limited ecosystem!

Sorry but where did you get that 10.3 will run Amazon's versions of Android Apps any differently than those download from other sources?????? The BB Runtime sees all APK the same. What we all hope is that it gets better in that it will work with a larger percentage of Android Apps as right now its only about 75% work (in my view).... But that will be a general APK fix, not an Amazon App only fix.

Liberated from Google's Grasp....... sorry but you do know who really controls Android? You do understand that many developers LIKE what Google is doing to cut out all of these other "stores" and the loss of revenues due to piracy. You do understand that many developers are never going to support non compliant devices....
    JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    07-31-14 10:57 AM
    Here is an example of what consumers face every day.

http://www.usask.ca/ict/services/paws-iusask/iusask/

There are many sites offering their own app and that app is only available two ways - Google Play or Apple.

I would love a phone that had a dual boot OS or failing that an Android version of the Classic and Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Ha ha yes, if you go with the 80:20 principle it is almost no longer needed to produce any app for the other platforms other than Android.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3253
    07-31-14 11:10 AM
    Ha ha yes, if you go with the 80:20 principle it is almost no longer needed to produce any app for the other platforms other than Android.

Depends who your clientele is. There are lots of iPhones here in Canada. I use snap and or just extract via my Nexus tablet. This is not a viable solution for many.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 11:24 AM
    No apps using the "dreaded Google Play Services"... means a lot of the most wanted Google Apps aren't going to be there ..

You will note that Amazon's "ecosystem" is much more limited than Google's (only about 10% of Android Apps make it there), and also in many cases the apps there are not the latest versions. Go read several reviews on the Kindle line of products (Tablets and the new Phone), most all mention the limited ecosystem!

Sorry but where did you get that 10.3 will run Amazon's versions of Android Apps any differently than those download from other sources?????? The BB Runtime sees all APK the same. What we all hope is that it gets better in that it will work with a larger percentage of Android Apps as right now its only about 75% work (in my view).... But that will be a general APK fix, not an Amazon App only fix.

Liberated from Google's Grasp....... sorry but you do know who really controls Android? You do understand that many developers LIKE what Google is doing to cut out all of these other "stores" and the loss of revenues due to piracy. You do understand that many developers are never going to support non compliant devices....
    I understand all that my friend and honestly it is their loss if they don't support non-complaint devices. The adds can still and still do bring revenues even in pirated apps. Also I understand the limitations of Amazon API's as well as that of Firefox for example.

Finally the shill mentality to keep android locked by google is something I will never personally understand what happened to AOSP??? The original spirit of open source, Google may as well go and make android Google OS.

As I mentioned at the end of my post only time can tell. The goal of the venture is for amazon android ecosystem to work better I mean for how long have we been left to our own devices to get android apks? It will only make sense now that we get official support for the Amazon appstore to get better.

The proof of this is amazon development of their own Play service bundle. We can only assume Blackberry is working fully with this bundle and it's framework to assure optimal mutual compatibility. Because if they don't the amazon app compatibility they have boasted about will be nothing but a huge bust, the type it has been until now. But once again I repeat, only time will tell and hopefully I am right.
    And yes I say dreaded because it is absolutely predatory for Google to lock what was supposed to be an open ecosystem. Such is why I absolutely do not use their services or support them at all. You can go ahead and be part of the monopoly if you like though.

07-31-14 11:49 AM
    I understand all that my friend and honestly it is their loss if they don't support non-complaint devices. The adds can still and still do bring revenues even in pirated apps. Also I understand the limitations of Amazon API's as well as that of Firefox for example.

Finally the shill mentality to keep android locked by google is something I will never personally understand what happened to AOSP??? The original spirit of open source, Google may as well go and make android Google OS.

As I mentioned at the end of my post only time can tell. The goal of the venture is for amazon android ecosystem to work better I mean for how long have we been left to our own devices to get android apks? It will only make sense now that we get official support for the Amazon appstore to get better.

The proof of this is amazon development of their own Play service bundle. We can only assume Blackberry is working fully with this bundle and it's framework to assure optimal mutual compatibility. Because if they don't the amazon app compatibility they have boasted about will be nothing but a huge bust, the type it has been until now. But once again I repeat, only time will tell and hopefully I am right.
    And yes I say dreaded because it is absolutely predatory for Google to lock what was supposed to be an open ecosystem. Such is why I absolutely do not use their services or support them at all. You can go ahead and be part of the monopoly if you like though.

I fully agree. I have posted this link before and to me it illustrates that predatory behavior:
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...s-necessary/3/

Last edited by m1kr0; 07-31-14 at 05:42 PM.
    Bbnivende and logger4942 like this.
    07-31-14 12:04 PM
    I might be the outsider looking in but isn't this play services requirement just a safety net for google to protect itself from a lawsuit in the event of identify theft or stolen payment info? From an app on their play store?
    07-31-14 12:14 PM
    Don't kid yourself though.
    For everyone who uses the Android that has access to the Google Play Store, the Amazon Store doesn't even compare.
    It's not even close.

Yes, it's better than BBW for consumer apps, but honestly, which App store isn't..?

In terms of criticising the lack of apps from reviewers, this is just a drop of cold water on an immensely hot stone.

Posted via CB10
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said Amazon was anywhere close to Google Play! But it does give Blackberry access out of the box to some big name titles (again, I did not say EVERYTHING).

You would be shocked at how many one off apps are deal breakers for some people. At least having many of the big titles covers off a swatch of those folks. It is far from being a perfect solution. But devs are not flocking to the platform to create native apps or to even upload ports to BB world. So it is either try this, or shut the doors on the company.

What would you do differently?
    07-31-14 04:03 PM
    Amazon Appstore is about on par with Windows Store so abysmal with some big titles thrown in. What I don't understand is won't it just be as slow as Android apps or does the Amazon apps use their own runtime.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    The android runtime on 10.3 is really good and solve the sluggishness we experienced in the 10.2.1 and earlier updates.