"Snapchat, the developer of a popular mobile messaging app, has agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it deceived consumers with promises about the disappearing nature of messages sent through the service. �The FTC case also alleged that the company deceived consumers over the amount of personal data it collected and the security measures taken to protect that data from misuse and unauthorized disclosure..."

Snapchat Settles FTC Charges That Promises of Disappearing Messages Were False | Federal Trade Commission

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 07:43 AM
    I think I read that here before. But yah....I'm glad I don't use it.

Thanks for sharing.
    05-09-14 07:52 AM
    I think I read that here before. But yah....I'm glad I don't use it.

Thanks for sharing.
    Agreed, I've never used that app and never will.
    05-09-14 07:57 AM
    Just add them to the growing list of successful companies who do this and a growing population of users who don't give a sh$t. If the general population was concerned about this the smartphone and app scenery would be dramatically different than what we currently see.
    05-09-14 08:21 AM
    Just add them to the growing list of successful companies who do this and a growing population of users who don't give a sh$t. If the general population was concerned about this the smartphone and app scenery would be dramatically different than what we currently see.

Won't argue that the vast majority of the consumer market doesn't care. There are many people who don't care about things until there is a crisis. However, that doesn't mean that I specifically don't care simply because others don't. It could be said that Phillip Morris is a hugely successful company, but I don't buy their products regardless of they fact that they are hugely successful.
    05-09-14 09:29 AM
    There is concern, then there is the "level" of concern where there that concern trumpts user experience.

Concern for Android Apps Security, or downloading files from unknown sites didn't keep most BlackBerry PlayBook and BB10 users from trying out Sideloading of either APK files they found online or fully converted BAR files they found online. I bet the FTC never bothered testing any of those apps.

People are concerned about privacy and security with mobile devices and apps, they just don't let it get in the way until it affects them. And to be honest, how many people do you personally know that their mobile device lead to some kind of negative impact on their lives... other than they dropped it in the pool and lost all their contacts. How many people have used torrent sites to download "content" and where concerned, but kept going until they got a letter from their service provider. (not that I would know anything about that kinda stuff)
    05-09-14 09:56 AM
    Blackberry should just buy
    Secret Pictures for BBM�„� - BlackBerry World
    Private messages for BBM - BlackBerry World

implement them to BBM and steal Snapchat's Subscribers

no one will truly care until their Snapchat pictures get leaked. Just like anything else, the general population only cares when it happens to them.

Just like Scalemaster said look at all of us getting APKs from 3rd party sites. I'm running Max Secure Mobile Secuirty Suite but no one wants to pay 10$ for an app until something happens to them or their friends/family(maybe).
    05-09-14 09:56 AM
    And to be honest, how many people do you personally know that their mobile device lead to some kind of negative impact on their lives.
    This is the problem: people thinking that what's happened in the past is what is important or even indicative of the potential problem.

These companies HAVE the data, whether or not they've done anything evil with it in the past or whatever they said in the 20 pages of legalese that users of these services didn't even read or understand.

It's the tacit allowance for theses companies to fill hard drives with data they can sell or whatever in the future and what will be done with that very clear picture in the future by corporations and governments that should be of concern to people... but it's not... but at the point where google acquires Snapchat and folds all that data into the merged Google account and suddenly they've got all that illicitly-gathered data to cross reference with their legitimately-gathered data, and tell me that they'll just delete it because it's 'fruit of a poison tree' when there's no frikking tree in the first place.

Oops, there I go being bats*itcrazyparanoid again.
    05-09-14 10:13 AM