I go to a number of parties and functions and my phone choice has been frequently the subject of (light and amicable) verbal abuse from people I meet for a couple of years now, when Blackberry's reputation really hit the tank. I've defended it through numerous ways, but very rarely have I ever gotten anyone to concede that indeed, there was a good reason to even consider a Blackberry phone - even after I bought the Z10, the subject of debate has always gone to "well, you guys have absolutely no apps... what's the point of owning a smartphone", or something along those lines. UI, hub, security, gestures... all great but not enough to convince anybody who isn't a massive fan already.

Last night the subject of it came up again when a friend with a Windows Phone was (again, lightly an amicably... no one takes it that seriously) mocked for having an inferior phone, where then he said at least he wasn't me, who owns a BlackBerry. Cue the comeback... at least I have the Play store, more or less. I show everyone Snap, how I can browse the Play store and download apps on a whim, and the entire group of iOS and Android devotees admitted that there was now no reason to ignore the BlackBerry and WP will be the one left behind. Of course, I didn't explain that not everyone has Snap and BlackBerry will probably never advertise it publicly.... but more on that later.

I suppose there was no need to start a new thread, but what I'm basically saying is, from first-hand experience, people I know are not converted by the UI or hub alone. They will always acknowledge that indeed, it is a useful feature, but no one will ever sacrifice apps for it. Snap last night changed the perception entirely. It's not quite perfect and not quite there, and I'm going out on a limb to say there are probably huge legality issues with BlackBerry and carriers actually ADVERTISING Snap as a feature of the phone. But do give it a shot next time, if you've loaded the latest OS. The next time someone insults you for your phone, take it out, show them Snap/Droid Store and ask them really, what massive gulf is there between their phone and your own. It will most likely shut them up.
    12-15-13 02:30 PM
    Hmm i understand where you come from, i am always teased about owning a dinosaur phone, being a business man, etc. I have a Z10 and after showing how i can almost run circles around people with their iphones they still bring up the damn apps. Now with Snap we are slowly getting better in that department, but i think what would really help is if the third party devs can actually publish their apps in BlackBerry World. Lots of people are not willing to try and learn how to sideload, they want the easiest way to obtain their apps and will look in BlackBerry World first. Plus those apps, (Whine, iGrann, Snap2Chat) are going to run flawlessly when they are fully done, over an android port. While BlackBerry has done some real nice advancements in the Android app performance, nothing will beat the functionality of a smooth integrated native app.
    12-15-13 02:38 PM
    What is snap?

Twitter: xandermac
    12-15-13 02:44 PM
    I fully agree and wished that route was successful, and I always support native whenever an option is available. I worry that the prolific use of Android apps in Blackberry will erode the native app development, but I am feeling that it is far too late to be idealistic and if you can level the playing field through this method it will certainly help more than hurt.

Snap: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-2-1-a-874153/
    12-15-13 02:47 PM
    What is snap?

Twitter: xandermac
    It's an app for browsing the Google Play store, downloads and installs. Logs in with your Google creds and looks/functions just like BBW.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-15-13 03:01 PM
    LOLOL and then you show people the long process of getting snap. Tell me how many people do you honestly think will be willing to run an android emulator and getting a gsif from Google and installing several programs on their computer to get snap to work?

Don't sell people on snap when most people won't even know how to get it

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    12-15-13 05:31 PM
    Oh snap. Foolishly I just searched snap in BlackBerry World lol

I use the chrome extension method and I'm fine with that route takes only a couple of minutes to install a new app.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:51 PM
    It needs to be on BBW if its gonna make any real impactm

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    12-15-13 07:33 PM
    True friends embrace you for who you are and not for the device that you have.

Who cares?

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    12-15-13 07:39 PM
    LOLOL and then you show people the long process of getting snap. Tell me how many people do you honestly think will be willing to run an android emulator and getting a gsif from Google and installing several programs on their computer to get snap to work?

Posted via CB10
    Oh snap. Foolishly I just searched snap in BlackBerry World lol

I use the chrome extension method and I'm fine with that route takes only a couple of minutes to install a new app.

Posted via CB10
    It needs to be on BBW if its gonna make any real impactm

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Can you guys not tell what's coming? I "think" I know what's coming.
    geoffsdad and bradu1 like this.
    12-15-13 08:43 PM

Who cares?

Posted via CB10
    You missed the point. It's not about friends (I can't think of anyone who would devalue anyone based on a cell phone, that's completely ludicrous). It's about being the breakthrough that convinces colleagues and associates it's a device worth looking at. No matter how many amazing features you show off in your phone, if you can't even get a native Instagram app no iOS or Android fan will ever accept a Blackberry as anything more than a washed-up has-been. Using Snap, it was the first time I've convinced anybody that the Z10 was worth considering over an iPhone or a similar Android device.
    12-16-13 12:39 PM

Who cares?

Posted via CB10
    I make fun of friends with Blackberries all the time, it is more of a running joke, or playful banter. When I had a Z10, I got made fun of too, but it is/was all in good fun.

I did not return my Z10 because of people making fun of me, Blackberry made that decision for me
    12-16-13 01:00 PM
    Can you guys not tell what's coming? I "think" I know what's coming.
    Yes, but it may not look exactly as advertised.......Still, its gonna be awesome. But let's not derail the discussion since we both on the same page already.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    canuckvoip likes this.
    12-16-13 01:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's a thing of the past with the latest update. Just sign in with your Google sign in.

Via CB10 from Scotland while pretty stoned using Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055
    12-16-13 02:13 PM
    Snap would never take off in the real world, or at least in the US. I have absolutely nothing against Snap, it is a fantastic app. But it of course requires 10.2.1, which is still in the leaked status. When will that be released by the US carriers?

Like everyone else, I think Snap is a temporary solution until Google Play is in the OS. But currently the bar to use it is too high for the average person. Installing a leak is easy, but the majority of users don't know the leaks are out there, and there's a good portion of those that know of it that won't or can't install it.
    12-16-13 02:21 PM
    I make fun of friends with Blackberries all the time, it is more of a running joke, or playful banter. When I had a Z10, I got made fun of too, but it is/was all in good fun.

I did not return my Z10 because of people making fun of me, Blackberry made that decision for me
    I cant imagine any jokes being thrown again my Z30 with 10.2.1.1055 against any android or iphone. Seriously not one. Iphones rae the easiest to make fun of though.

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    12-17-13 02:32 PM
    I cant imagine any jokes being thrown again my Z30 with 10.2.1.1055 against any android or iphone. Seriously not one. Iphones rae the easiest to make fun of though.

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    I can, even with 10.2.1 you require a lot of work around a to get your device almost on par with Android or iOS. Not to mention 10.2.1 doesn't magically make an end to end ecosystem appear
    12-17-13 02:35 PM
    I don't think that it is good to convince people of BlackBerry by showing them things that don't work on a "normal" BlackBerry phone.

If you like BlackBerry, deal with the mocking - don't take yourself too serious either and laugh if you run into some typical BlackBerry problem. You can do the same when your friends keep running out of battery.

And if everything goes wrong, you can still claim you need it because you're such an important business man or because you store classified Intel on your phone

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 02:48 PM
    I have a lot of respect for the guy who developed Snap; it's quite an achievement.

What I suspect is going to happen, though, is that it's going to be quickly rendered obsolete if Google Play winds up being offered legitimately in 10.2.1 when it gets released. That may REALLY impress your friends!
    canuckvoip likes this.
    12-17-13 02:59 PM