short version:
    I have BES through my company and they recently disabled SMS, ..yet it seems I can still do PIN to PIN messages. -Are these messages tracked through my company, and/or will I be racking up charges to my company.

long version:
    I have a personal blackberry which the SIM/ATTplan/Data/BES is all paid through my company. I also have BIS set up. All works great.
    Recently my company did away with SMS (they said because of cost)(?) ...
    Yet, it seems that I can send PIN2PIN messages no problem and I wonder if these messages can be traced by my employer and/or if I'll be racking up charges that will go to my employer which may cause them to wonder WTF I'm doing?
    Note; my employer has a few hundred BB's ..and I'm sure they're not out to track my useage, but I want to be respectful and not abuse the privilege and/or generate fees that will cause attention.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    12-20-08 07:18 PM
    I believe you should be good sending PIN messages, they use data and the people i work with on BES use PIN and BlackBerry IM, because my company does not have text messaging either...
    12-20-08 07:25 PM
    BB data packages are normally part of a vendors(ATT for you) unlimited plain but to play it on teh safe side I would check with your bosses to see what kind of plain it is.

and FYI-at least with sprint I can log onto my account on sprint.com and see all of my activity, this is for billing resons but the fact is with sprint whoever is paying the bill can track activity so I would imagine with ATT its probably about the same
    12-20-08 07:26 PM
    If you have an unlimited data plan, you shouldn't be incurring charges by using pins. Pins can be tracked by your BES admins, and blocked the same way as SMS, so if they left pins enabled, I would think you'd be safe in assuming they did not object to you using them.
    12-20-08 08:21 PM
    They are probably paying for unlimited data for you and since BBM or pin to pin use data, it wouldn't cost the company anymore as unlimited is unlimited. (unless you are with verizon, hehe). My assumption like JeffH stated is that if they left it, it doesn't cost extra and they are allowing you to.

If you asked if it's tracked for recording and knowing what you are writing, yes, everything you do can and most likely is recorded.

12-20-08 09:08 PM
    They are probably paying for unlimited data for you and since BBM or pin to pin use data, it wouldn't cost the company anymore as unlimited is unlimited. (unless you are with verizon, hehe). My assumption like JeffH stated is that if they left it, it doesn't cost extra and they are allowing you to.

If you asked if it's tracked for recording and knowing what you are writing, yes, everything you do can and most likely is recorded.
    Are bbm messages and the pin to pin you referenced the same thing? Where are the messages recorded?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 06:26 AM
    Pin2Pin Messages are like emails for bb2bb, they don't have character limits like sms and travel faster then sms.

Where as BBM is IM'ing for bb2bb

12-21-08 06:46 AM
    Thanks much for the great replies and info.

Very much appreciated!!! Happy Holidays to all of ya's :-)
    12-21-08 12:14 PM
    Pin2Pin Messages are like emails for bb2bb, they don't have character limits like sms and travel faster then sms.

Where as BBM is IM'ing for bb2bb

If pin to pin is different from BBM, how do you send a pin to pin message? And how/why is it be faster tan an IM?

12-21-08 03:18 PM
    If pin to pin is different from BBM, how do you send a pin to pin message? And how/why is it be faster tan an IM?

In Messages, select Compose Pin. Select the recipient's pin number from your Address Book. Pin messages are sent using your data plan, so they don't count against your message allotment, and they aren't limited by character count like SMS. I don't know that pin's are any faster than BBM, since BBM uses the same data transmission protocol.

12-21-08 07:18 PM
    Pin to Pin is honestly the same as BBM, except in BBM it is setup like instant messaging.

RIM knew what they were doing when they came up with this PIN messaging & BBM stuff.
    12-21-08 07:22 PM
    Are bbm messages and the pin to pin you referenced the same thing? Where are the messages recorded?

Phone logs, SMS and PIN messages are recorded in a log file on the BES.
    12-22-08 12:19 PM
    Yep, ya gotta love BES or "Big Brother"...
    12-22-08 12:33 PM
    So are there any true, confidential message options if you are on BES?

Is there any way to encrypt a message for privacy?
    12-22-08 02:21 PM
    All your messages are encrypted on BES. BlackBerry email is more secure than ordinary consumer email. The admins can read them, but they'll be covered by confidentiality agreements. Remember, on BES it's a work phone, and your employer's computer-use policies almost certainly say that you have no expectation of privacy in anything you do with company IT property.

That said, there are 3rd party PGP applications for the BlackBerry, if your IT policy allows their use.

12-22-08 02:53 PM

I didnt say Pin2Pin was fast then IM, I said it seems to be faster then SMS.....

For my Family/Friends with Blackberries - I usually I message in this order

1 - BBM'ing (best way to carry a chat from BB to BB)

2 - Pin Message (Best for Fowarding SMS's or Emails and creating Long Statments, or sending Group Messages to other BB's).

3 - SMS/Text (Usually if I'm sending a group message with phones that are NOT BB's)
    12-22-08 04:12 PM
    So, do the BES admin's have access to my BIS activity?? and if so, to what extent, -can they read all messages?
    12-22-08 09:52 PM
    So, do the BES admin's have access to my BIS activity?? and if so, to what extent, -can they read all messages?
    They can see the phone log. They can read ALL SMS and PIN.

Depending on settings, they can force, and monitor, all internet access through the BES.

While they can't read incoming BIS emails, they can force all outgoing emails to go through your corporate account, thus reside in your corporate mailbox.

All your contacts and calendar entries will sync to your corporate mailbox. They are subject to the same lack of privacy as any corporate data.

Rule of thumb. When on a BES assume NOTHING is private.
    12-23-08 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD