"The science of text messaging" Does anyone know how much it costs cell phone carriers to send a text message? AH well this is one of the their BIGGEST money makers.When we send a text message it does not need a data plan. Thus it uses the signal used when we make a phone call. The space it uses is limited that is why it is only limited to 160 characters this is designed to fit inside the bandwidth signal of a cell phone call (ya still with me) so it is not really using any data plan.It kinda piggyback rides on a cell phone call. A FREE RIDE IF YOU WILL.So....... if think about all the extra money they charge for a add on text messaging plans( 20 plus dollars a month or so ) let alone 20 cents + for a single text.It is ONE **** of a money maker.
    07-19-09 02:47 PM
    can you blame them. They've figured out how to make money.
    07-19-09 02:51 PM
    yeah text messaging rocks
    07-19-09 02:59 PM
    this is one of the biggest complaints I have and much of the reason why I don't have a texting plan...

why can I send full emails with pictures download files surf the internet.. connect to pretty much anything I want "unlimited" for 30 a month but it would cost me a extra 20 a month to send unlimited 160 character messages...

dumb..
    07-19-09 03:06 PM
    I thought that text messaging was included in the $30 data plan. I know it is on my girlfriends sprint data plan.
    07-19-09 03:10 PM
    Texting is a cash cow, as stated, there is almost zero overhead so it's pure profit. You can't blame the carriers really, they know it will end one day so they are milking it for all it's worth. It will only take 1 carrier to offer free texting before they all follow suit....
    07-19-09 03:11 PM
    this is one of the biggest complaints I have and much of the reason why I don't have a texting plan...

why can I send full emails with pictures download files surf the internet.. connect to pretty much anything I want "unlimited" for 30 a month but it would cost me a extra 20 a month to send unlimited 160 character messages...

dumb..
    I have T-mobile and i pay $35 for the data plan which includes Text, Web, and Pictures i send emails and everything and never pay extra for text messages that blows if they charging you for texts. but whenever i have to send text i usually fill up the 160 character and the 6/6 pages lol i write alot but yet again i dont get charged anything so i dont mind.
    07-19-09 03:16 PM
    $30 a month for ultd texts...the last month I had text service I sent and received a little over 1,500 messages per week...so...at $7.50 per week cost that's pretty cheap.
    I did cancel my text plan and the $360 a year I'm not spending will pay for 5 months of my minutes/data plan.
    The carrier is only 'ripping you off' if you choose to pay for texting. I send all my messages via email and BBM now.
    07-19-09 03:19 PM
    Yeah, I hate paying $20.00 a month for unlimited texting.
    07-19-09 03:25 PM
    Well i have sprint and i dont mind because i have to have a data plan on my BB anyway and on sprint unlimited texts are included in the data package. VZW is making a lot of money off of its unlimited texts plans though. if i were you i was cancel it and just use BBM and email. i couldnt imaging paying $30 a month for data plan + $10 or more for unlimited texts. it should be included in either an everything voice plan or it the data package.
    07-19-09 03:33 PM
    Well i have sprint and i dont mind because i have to have a data plan on my BB anyway and on sprint unlimited texts are included in the data package. VZW is making a lot of money off of its unlimited texts plans though. if i were you i was cancel it and just use BBM and email. i couldnt imaging paying $30 a month for data plan + $10 or more for unlimited texts. it should be included in either an everything voice plan or it the data package.
    Yeah, I wish I could just BBM instead of text, but none of my friends have a BB.
    07-19-09 03:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD